for the love of spinach

in Books,Gluten Free,product review,snacks

I love books. If it’s a really good book, I can read it in a couple days. I start to miss it even before I am finished. One of my favorites recently is Water for Elephants. Really great reading. Sara Gruen’s other books are great too.

Leah is giving away a book on her fun blog Why Deprive. I have not read any books by this author, but I want to. :)

I have a few new cookbooks that I have been enjoying… (I like cookbooks for reading… does anyone else do that?). Today I made a couple things from this exciting new book:

It follows the ideas of a paleo diet, which mimics a hunter-gather or cavemen approach, eating foods our bodies are genetically meant to eat. There is a line in this book that says “No Pasta, No Bread, No Rice, No Beans, No Kidding”. It’s been a very interesting read! I’ve been receiving Mark Sisson’s “daily apple” emails for a while, and based on what I learned in those, I recently bought the book.

As an almost daily Green Monster fan, I was intrigued by a recipe called Spinach Bread. No flour or yeast. This?

fresh basil + pine nuts + garlic

Smells amaze. As does the finished product. I will be making this again:

spinach bread !

I realize the irony of Laughing Cow, but The Primal Blueprint includes dairy:

My food processor is getting a workout today. I made almond meal:

The other recipe I made from The Primal Blueprint? Crackers. Again, no flour / yeast. Again? Delicious:

This was fun – I have always wanted to make crackers. Pretty easy, too.

I made these !!

I’m still giddy over making crackers :)

These crackers are fabulous. Delicious. Based on the bread and crackers, I am excited to make more recipes from this book.

Yes. I also realize Early Man did not have tofu, so no Toby’s. Oh, Toby’s. I think I love you most of all

tastes like college !

Does everyone have access to Toby’s? It’s a tofu spread, and comes in a few flavors. Original tastes kinda like egg salad? It’s really hard to describe, but it is YUM. I love Toby’s. In college I lived on Toby’s + wasa crackers.

After such an exciting day, I’m ready for dinner! We’re going out to dinner then to a club to see a band. Good night all!  :)

1 thehungryscholar June 9, 2010 at 4:33 pm

What an interesting post! That book sounds fascinating, but too difficult for me ;). So props! Those crackers look so yum!

Have a great dinner out :)!

2 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:19 am

thanks! it was an awesome night!

and if you mean difficult as in hard to prepare… nope! pretty easy :) the book is really great.

3 hbobier @ Basil Vodka June 9, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Have a fab night out! Please feel free to post pictures of your going out attire…I like to live vicariously through people that are cool enough to go out on weeknights.

So are you willing to share the green bread recipe with me? I do like spinach. And I do like bread. Do you think it would be good without the cheese? Because if so then yes, I’d love to take a peek-sky at the recipe. :)

4 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:19 am

it is awesome w/o the cheese… I’m dm-ing you :)

5 Maria @ a healthier Maria June 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm

ahh everything in this post looks amazing! & I am very impressed you made all of this in 1 day. Go you!

6 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:17 am

the muffins were made day before, from first post :)

and the spinach bread & crackers… really easy and under 2 hours total, INCLUDING a break in the middle to clean up broken glass #bakingfail :)

7 Jill@MySoCalledHealthLife June 9, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Ahhh! I LOVE reading. I read Water For Elephants last summer and it is excellent. They are actually making the movie right now with Robert Pattison and Reese Witherspoon; I must say I am disappointed with the casting :-(

8 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:15 am

meh. not who I’d have picked either. I will see it though!! :) have you read her other books, there are two more, and they go together. Water for Elephants is my favorite, but those are good too.

9 Nora@LifeLifeEatRight June 9, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I have a thing for spinach and that looks so interesting!

10 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:13 am

that’s exactly why I had to make it, I love spinach (oh, maybe that’s not what you mean by a thing…?) :) and this is a GREAT new way to have it! :)

11 actorsdiet June 9, 2010 at 9:18 pm

i love reading cookbooks (as opposed to actually using them to cook) too!

12 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:12 am

isn’t it fun??!? :)

13 dorrybird June 10, 2010 at 5:22 am

SO cool! I want to try both of these recipes…homemade crackers? Yes, please! I’ve never had Toby’s – I’ll have to see if they carry it at Dallas Whole Foods :)

14 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:11 am

the crackers had mixed reviews (from my panel of three, two liked them!) :)

I love them and will make again, now that I know I can!! (still giddy over that – hee!) I may try different herbs + flavors.

I WILL DEFINITELY be making the Spinach Bread again. It Is Amazing!! Toby’s is great, I bet WF has it..

15 Lynn June 10, 2010 at 6:29 am

I almost always have to have some kind of sprouts on my Toby’s…mmmmmmmm it makes me feel like a hippy.

Curious what band you went out to see!

16 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 7:09 am

ah… we saw Tortoise. so so good. :)

17 assistantdoc June 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I am addicted to eating Toby’s. The Original or Jalapeno. It doesn’t matter to me! Most of the time I buy the Lite version but either way it’s super yummo. The Spinach bread looks super amazing as do the crackers. Good stuff! I am impressed.

18 spabettie June 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I will make for you when you come over :)

19 Jenna June 11, 2010 at 8:39 am

this all looks GREAT and impressive!! kudos to you, lady! I haven’t ever even conceived of MAKING CRACKERS!! ;)

I want to come over and hang out in YOUR kitchen all day!

20 Caitlin June 14, 2010 at 10:54 am

this all looks amazeballs ! :)

21 mindi schmidt April 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hi,
Can I get the spinach bread and the cracker recipes??
Thanks!