things that are Awesome !

in appetizers,Books,Second Breakfast

I was feeling blue last night, having watched the news about the oil spill and specifically, a dolphin people rescued, cleaned up and tried to revive. Emphasis on tried. Horribleness I won’t get into here, except to say it breaks my heart while also making me extremely and increasingly frustrated and mad.

Jason came home with something to cheer me up – a book with an aim to do just that:

Awesome …     “is a high five for humanity and a big celebration of life’s little moments” because “sometimes it’s easy to forget the things that make us smile, with a 24/7 news cycle reporting that the … … ”

… well, now I’ve come full circle, you get the idea. Couldn’t have been better timing, though, and it did make me smile. :) It basically has a new page / couple pages for each thing that is awesome, with a few paragraphs talking about said awesome thing. I picked one to share with you that will soon relate to us, as we are about to open our swim pool:

Because I watch the news every day, I’m taking a cue from my new book and choosing to focus on all that is awesome and positive about today: It’s Day Three of summer in Portland! It’s Jason’s birthday and I’m taking him to a great place for dinner! Basil and I spent the morning outside! I ran a whole hour today! :)

More awesome in my day today? Hemp Hearts! Second breakfast after my energized run was chobani pineapple + hemp hearts. I am loving the hemp hearts. They are giving me great energy and are quite filling.

Yum. Another awesome shout out goes to my fish oil. Just because I love them. I’ve been running more lately, plus just thinking about Jillian makes my joints ache, so I’ve upped my focus on my anti-inflammatories, like my lemon flavored fish oils.

I <3 you, fish oil.

…and I’m kidding about Jillian! I’ve been alternating between Shred and NMTZ for almost a week, and I’m LOVING it. (Dare I say, AWESOME?) I’ll post a proper review soon…

Some more awesome? Another delicious recipe …and maybe the next time I make the following recipe I’ll include some of those hemp hearts… but I’ll tell you about the way I made it this time.

I made Angela’s Energize Me Creamy Fruit Dip.

2 banana
3-4 tablespoons milk (I used coconut)
1 tablespoon nut butter (I used Barney Butter – almond butter)
1 tablespoon chia seeds

All into the food processor!

Angela’s is most definitely prettier than mine:

I think I added more nut butter… still delicious though, and it went fast! Again, we had some company and it was a big hit. Another super easy and very tasty recipe I’ll be making All Summer Long!

Questions:

Do you watch the news and keep up on current events and politics? How do you deal with bad news?

Do you take fish oil supplements? Are yours flavored, and if so, do you taste them all day? :)

1 eatingmachine June 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm

you have a pool?
so, where in portland do you live? :-)

2 spabettie June 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm

*hee hee* you made me laugh out loud. :) …not because it’d never happen, mind you… ’tis just funny !

3 dorrybird June 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I love The Book of Awesome – probably b/c I use that word all the time. (OK, I overuse it!) Anyway, good for you for changing your focus to the awesome things in your day. The news is most definitely depressing. I wouldn’t say I watch on a regular basis but I read online and try to keep up with current events, etc.

I don’t take fish oil but used to and have been thinking about it lately. Do you like your brand or do you taste it all day?

4 spabettie June 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I totally overuse awesome. (and totally). :)

I love this brand… it’s lemon, so it’s not as if you’re tasting something bad… and I think it happens regardless?

it’s not all day, though. ;) just a little while. I would recommend.

5 Meg June 24, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Oh my gosh, never heard of that book, but I love the word ;) awesome awesome awesoooome. Doxies are awesome too :D

I used to take flax oil, but it got a little pricey. Now I use chia seeds, they have omega’s too :D

6 samantha @ foodedu June 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

That’s a good looking dip! I feel you on the gulf, everytime I see the animal rescuers cleaning off the birds I want to fly over there and join the team. I don’t know what it is–when I was a kid I remember there was another huge oil spill and I wanted to clean all the ducks sooo bad!

7 Lynn June 24, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I also say a lot of “awesome”, as well as “like”, and “totally” haha!

I get my fish oils from my friend and acupuncturist. I get the Nordic Naturals brand in lemon flavor but never taste the lemon. Right now Im taking the ProEPA but she says to rotate EPA with DHA every other bottle. Just a tip!

8 thehungryscholar June 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I try to watch the news as much as a I can; I get most of my info from Lars or online headlines.

that dip looks good!

9 Darren Poke June 24, 2010 at 6:18 pm

The book comes from a really cool blog, http://1000awesomethings.com/

It’s well worth a look.

I wrote a post about it on my personal development blog.

There’s nothing wrong with saying awesome a lot, there are worse alternatives.

10 Caitlin June 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE THIS WONDERFUL SPABETTIE !
:) hope you both enjoy a wonderful evening out!

11 roninsherpa June 25, 2010 at 1:24 am

You know what else is AWESOME? Def Leppord! Spandex and hair gel baby! I mean business! A drummer with no arm? AWESOME! Check this out:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNOZegkVXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

And how about Sarah Connor in Terminator 2?
AWESOMENESS ON TOAST!

AND….!!!!

My BLOG! MY BLOG IS AWESOME!
Why? Here is a free workout from Tony Horton, the creator of P90X. FREE!!! Yup. My blog is Awesome because I give away free stuff that can help change your life!!! Check it out:
Did I mention that your blog is AWESOME?!?!
NO?!?!? That’s because everyone already knows your blog is AWESOMENESS ON TOAST WITH JELLY!!

12 Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen June 27, 2010 at 3:58 am

Oh my gosh, I totally saw that book at Chapters a while ago and I definitely picked it up and flipped through. Some of the things made me laugh out loud in the store as I was reading because they were so true! :lol:

That dip looks really yummy, kind of like light and fluffy PB :)

13 spabettie June 27, 2010 at 7:37 am

we had some people over yesterday for BBQ, etc… my brother in law saw the book and said Oh, they DID write a book about me” :) ha…

14 awesome!! August 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I just received this book!! it’s fun, yes? there’s another one too, do you have it? nice post.

15 Lance December 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm