saffron salmon

in restaurants,summertime

Sunday morning we woke up early and went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. This place is amazing. They have an exhibit called Passages of the Deep – and it is an almost 360 degree underwater view as you walk through acrylic tubes:

This is also the area where Free Willy used to live! :)

There are rays, all kinds of fish (reef cod, halibut), and sharks.

This dude swam right by me, giving me side eye the whole time…

This one swam across the top, right above me.

We were there the one day a year the local diving club gets to come in – I talked to this guy’s wife walking through the tube:

More overhead swimmin’

Jellies!

Jason wouldn’t touch these.

He has never seen them, and is skeptical.

Have you ever seen an anemone?

How about a King Crab?

Honestly? I have only seen the legs before… please don’t let these two know that:

This is a world – class attraction. State of the art – I was super impressed and it was extremely interesting. There were many things I didn’t take photos of – a whole aviary of birds. Pythons and boas. Alligators, turtles and pirañas. Pirañas look like toothless grumpy men. :)

______________________________________________________________________________

We had an amazing dinner while in Newport, at Saffron Salmon. It is located at the west end of the pier, with a great view of the bay.

It was our anniversary. :)

Jason had the grilled salmon filet with wasabi cream, seasonal veggies and a potato galette. The salmon was perfect, and I need to recreate that wasabi cream…

I chose daily special, which was salmon over orzo with beets and goat cheese. It was as delicious as it is beautiful!

You may think I ordered this because it is pink. I really had no idea, but it’s pretty, no? :)

I would definitely return to Saffron Salmon and recommend it to anyone visiting Newport.

We had such a fun weekend. I want another one, right now…

1 echoingmetaphor August 25, 2010 at 3:40 am

Wow, gorgeous pictures!!!

I used to have a pet Pirana! She was awesome, and big too, but you’re right, they totally look like toothless old men!

Both of your dishes look hella tasty! Yum!

2 Lynn August 25, 2010 at 4:57 am

I love the Aquarium! I actually was there when Free Willy was there. It’s a great memory I have with my mom. Willy was playing ball and was a little “excited” if you know what I mean. Yeah, my mom and I had a great laugh over that!
I’m not a big sea food lover, but I did enjoy some dungeness crab there, as long as I put lots of hot sauce on it!

3 LiveForTheRun August 25, 2010 at 5:15 am

Luhve aquariums, the west coast has the best. Fantastic shots. And former celebrity whale star, that’s terrific.

I am sure your dinner was “fresh” but let’s hope no fishies in the aquarium were compromised. kidding, lol.

4 spabettie August 25, 2010 at 5:21 am

yes. I thought of the fact that there is no way to transition from aquarium to seafood dinner. it is what it is. did you see my Rogue post? ;)

5 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt August 25, 2010 at 5:38 am

I LOVE aquariums. One of my 30 things to do while I’m 30 is to visit the Mystic Aquarium. THere is something amazing about all those wonderful water animals in one area. Lovely!

6 couchpotatoathlete August 25, 2010 at 5:40 am

I love going to the aquarium. Sea creatures terrify me, but they are so beautiful too. I also love the transition from aquarium to seafood restaurant. :)

7 EmbraceYourSkin August 25, 2010 at 6:25 am

Okay, here’s the big question for you…
Does the aquarium have otters?
My boyfriend is obsessed with otters and he has nonstop been talking about the aquariums in Oregon and wondering if they have otters. :)

8 spabettie August 25, 2010 at 6:46 am

THEY DO !! :) They are SO cute. You guys should definitely go there when you get to Oregon. :)

9 Dorry August 25, 2010 at 7:00 am

WOW! I didn’t know things like that existed – amazing attraction…and great photos. Which anniversary were y’all celebrating? ;)

The salmon entrees both look delicious.

10 spabettie August 25, 2010 at 7:35 am

oh, you know… we celebrate three each month. :)

the salmon was SO good… we ate salmon and halibut all weekend, two places told us it was caught that day!

11 Susan August 25, 2010 at 7:43 am

I love aquariums!!! It’s been a few years since I’ve been to one (in Boston) perhaps I should look into Toronto’s…

Also, kinda funny that you spent the day looking at fishies then had one for dinner!! I love ordering fish when I’m out at fancy restaurants. They prepare it in ways I never would at home, so it’s always worth the extra cost :)

12 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] August 25, 2010 at 7:54 am

I love aquariums! I always get hungry for sushi afterward though. :P

13 kaztronomic August 25, 2010 at 11:50 am

I guess walking through the aquarium whet your appetite, ne? ;) I know people who get insane cravings for beef or lamb after meandering though a petting zoo, so it’s all good. :D

I love going to the aquarium! Amor took me to one in San Diego, then another at the Mall of America and it was so fun. I loved petting the sharks, and snickering at fish names like the “8-Inch Slippery Dick.” Yes, that’s a fish name. No joke. You can google it. I’ll wait. >D

Sounds like you had a great anniversary! I love how you and Jason always find reason to celebrate life. =)

14 spabettie August 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I MISS YOU ! I hope you are feeling great soon, my friend. :)

15 samantha @ food edu August 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

These are great pictures! I love aquariums!

16 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm

What a fun day! That aquarium attraction is pretty incredible.

Happy Anniversary! What anniversary are you celebrating?

17 thehungryscholar August 26, 2010 at 3:12 am

Wow, you are like a fish photographer.

Happy Anniversary!

18 Amy @ Second City Randomness August 26, 2010 at 4:59 am

That looks like so much fun! I love watching jelly fish… as much as I hate them when I’m actually IN the ocean, I don’t mind admiring them from afar. :)

19 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) August 26, 2010 at 6:19 am

What an awesome aquarium! I would have loved to go there. Happy Anniversary! :)

20 RhodeyGirl August 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I MUST go to the aquarium now! It is so interesting to see another entire world, isn’t it?!

21 Healthy Coconut August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I love these pictures. My fiance is into marine life and we have visited several aquariums. Your pictures remind of the displays they have at the Monterey aquarium.

I’m scared of jelly fish though. Did you see that Will Smith movie “Seven Pounds”? yikes!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Aloha :)

22 Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 26, 2010 at 2:21 pm

GORGEOUS pictures!! I love aquariums, they are so pretty.