white bean quinoa burger with basil aioli

in Basil Pup,dachshund,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

After two tasty trials, the third time is Most Definitely A Charm.

I finally made a vegan ‘burger’ that fits my criteria – great taste, holds shape, short ingredient list.

See? Very few ingredients, just as I like it:

Those ingredients make for a very tasty burger, and after baking, they held their shape!

check, Check and CHECK !

For added flavor, I also made a vegan basil aioli, using my beautiful basil plant:

Jason’s burger, without tomatoes:

Jason had a second burger, sriracha-fied.

white bean quinoa burgers

1 can great northern beans, rinsed, halfway mashed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup yukon gold potatoes – mashed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
sea salt, to taste
+ gluten free ap flour, to roll/form (1/8 cup)

Combine all ingredients except flour. Using flour, form patties 3 1/2 inch round, 1/2 inch thick.

Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes – flip burgers after 20 minutes.

Makes 5 burgers.

vegan basil aioli

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/3 cup water
splash lemon juice
25-30 fresh basil leaves

Pulse soaked cashews in food processor. Add water, lemon juice and basil – pulse to combine.

______________________________

For dessert, I found more of those HUGE grapes!

The bun was gluten free, a tapioca + corn bun that is made locally.
I am excited to try more products – I’ll let you know more soon!

and because it has been a while, My Favorite Basil wanted to say hey:

What are your favorite burger toppings?

Do you like basil, the herb? :)

Do you have a dog? :D

1 Shirley @ gfe October 20, 2010 at 3:47 am

Oh, those do look good, Kristina! :-) I love veggie burgers. ;-) My faves so far are blackened black bean burgers, but I need to get some quinoa so I can make yours soon. :-)

Hugs,
Shirley

2 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:01 am

thanks Shirley ! let me know how they turn out if you try them!! :)

3 Jill October 20, 2010 at 5:18 am

I’m going to try that aioli for sure.
Check this out. Saw it and thought of you:

4 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:07 am

the aioli is SO good… I’ve made it a few times now, changing the “flavor”. easy peasy.

THANK YOU for sharing that… SO cute!! I think I’ll get one for us AND for my mom… uh, oh… she reads my blog. ah, well – happy holidays, mom!! :D

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 20, 2010 at 4:28 am

YUM. so glad they turned out. I wouldn’t have thought to add potatoes. I do like adding oats. Oh – tip on the cashews if you care – grind the cashews in your coffee grinder then you don’t even have to soak. I tried this for the stew I made – worked perfectly. Great for someone like me with a cheapo blender ;-)

6 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:02 am

ha… thanks – if we could only find our coffee grinder… funny you say that, because we were looking for it last weekend!!

7 hbobier October 20, 2010 at 4:51 am

Hi Basil!!! I was starting to wonder where he was…

And those burgers look delish! You know I’m on my huge “protein kick” er whatever, so I’ll definitely be making these soon. I’m with you on the ingredients–I hate recipes that call for like 20 different things. Which is why I like your burger recipe. Clean and simple.

As for your last question. Of course I have a dog. I have a Sheldon…haha.

8 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:03 am

Heidi, I actually thought of you as I was adding Basil’s photo. :D

I should have thought of you with the protein content of these… yes, you WILL love them!!

pet Sheldon for me!

9 EmbraceYourSkin October 20, 2010 at 5:53 am

No offense to the plant, but I like the dog Basil waaay more!

10 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:07 am

none taken… Basil Pup says hello… :)

11 couchpotatoathlete October 20, 2010 at 5:56 am

Those burgers look great — and how nice to find a gluten free bun that tastes GOOD!

12 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

they really were tasty… Jason liked them better than any other gf so far… I’ll hopefully be trying more things, will post more soon!

13 Yum Yucky October 20, 2010 at 6:10 am

daaang. look at those burger ingredients. I wants it. Nom!

14 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

:D thanks, Josie!

15 LiveForTheRun October 20, 2010 at 6:19 am

You show us all these burgers and then leave us with a hot dog. What a fantastic combo, something I would definitely like to try.

I love red onion on my burgers, crispy and tons of flava!

16 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:09 am

gotta have hot dogs with burgers ;)

I LOVE red onion also… I’d have topped these with them if they weren’t inside the burger already!! :D

17 Beth October 20, 2010 at 6:28 am

Those look awesome! Recently I’ve been into making chickpea burgers with basil (the herb) in them. So good and so easy!

18 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:10 am

I almost made these with chickpeas because I thought I was out of white beans!! :)

19 Dorry October 20, 2010 at 6:53 am

These look delicious – and unique in the sea of other veggie burger patties. Yum! I want Jason’s with sriracha, please. I like a ketchup + mustard blend, tomato, lettuce, avocado mash, salt + pepper on my veggie burger. Maybe some pickles – depends on my mood.

I love both of your Basils – the plant and the pooch. We don’t have a dog…but I imagine we will one day and (as I’ve mentioned), I’m slowly convincing Billy that it should be a Dachshund! Basil, Jr. :) Or maybe Cilantro? ;)

20 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:11 am

YES to a DOXIE for Bird & Bee !! we have been thinking of getting a SISTER for Basil… and naming her Rosemary. *aw*

I knew you’d like the sriracha. I thought of you as I was fixing it for him… XO

21 ahappyhealthylife October 20, 2010 at 7:16 am

Wow these look good! Of course we have a dog. :) Dogs rule. I actually want to get ours a little brother or sister because I love dogs so much.

I don’t eat cow, but for a turkey or veggie burger my favorite topping is cheese. ;) And yes, basil the herb is good, but your Basil is much cuter.

(by the way, this is Aimee, I started a new blog since mine are behaving so badly and may be lost for good).

22 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:13 am

Hi Aimee !! I recognized your (awesome) email… and then thought the worst… I am SO sorry – I hope you didn’t lose your blog… sorry you’re still having problems – I’ll update your info in my reader… <3

23 S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 20, 2010 at 7:43 am

I love basil the herb, and basil the dog is pretty rockin’, too. There’s nothing *not* funny about Dachshunds… the way they cock their heads like you’re talking to them, the passive-aggressive teenage girl thing that they throw… hilarious!

And burgers are best with mustard and avocado!

24 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:15 am

HAA HAA… I have had many dachshunds in my life since early on, and *yes* that is a perfect description!! :) Basil is super sweet though.

25 Mo@MommyRD October 20, 2010 at 7:51 am

Oh my, I’m going to be trying your veggie burger soon! Love the addition of quinoa.
I used to love basil, but now it causes me some indigestion.
We have a big loveable Golden Retriever, named Chase.

26 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

Great! Let me know how you like them if you try!! I would be sad if I couldn’t have basil… I love it so (obviously…) :)

Golden Retrievers are so awesome…

27 Estela @ Weekly Bite October 20, 2010 at 8:23 am

What a great looking veggie burger!! Can’t wait to try your recipe :)

28 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

thank you !! I hope you do – let me know how it goes !

29 Lisa October 20, 2010 at 8:36 am

We’ve tried to make black bean burgers before and they don’t stay together! Is there a trick?

30 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

I think the small amount of mashed potato helped bind, along with the quinoa… forming them with FLOUR and then baking them gave them a sort of crispy exterior, and they held up well!

31 christina October 20, 2010 at 8:56 am

those are some pretty burgers. i LOVE basil! on anything! nope, don’t have a dog :(

32 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

thank you !! :D

33 Heather October 20, 2010 at 11:08 am

consider this BOOKMARKED!!! i am drooling right now!

34 spabettie October 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm

awesome !! :D let me know how you like them!!

35 simplyshaka October 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I love that you put “Do you like Basil, the herb?” I love the herb and I love your dog!!

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I’ve been on a vegetarian kick for dinner lately and have a huge feedbag of quinoa I am trying to go through and always looking for suggestions. A little aioli sauce never hurts either :)

36 spabettie October 21, 2010 at 9:11 am

perfect !! let me know how you like them !!

sometimes my day REVOLVES around the Basils… the pup and the herb !! :D

37 Brittney October 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Ahhhh, you used the black quinoa! How is it? Does it taste the same as regular? I wondered! I have got to use the nutritional yeast! I think it is the only thing I haven’t used that you sent me! Maybe this weekend!

38 spabettie October 21, 2010 at 9:07 am

YES – I love it !! it smells different, very “nutty” – the taste is maybe slightly different? not as much as the smell… I love how pretty it is though!

39 Amanda @ Vegacious October 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I’m stealing this recipe!!!! :) Looks awesome!

40 spabettie October 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

:) let me know how you like it!

41 Anna @ Blissful Whimsy October 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm

wow these looks so great!

42 theveggie October 20, 2010 at 8:23 pm

your basil plant is so healthy and happy looking. i’m jealous =)

43 spabettie October 21, 2010 at 9:08 am

gotta keep the Basils happy !!

44 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 22, 2010 at 10:46 am

That’s my type of burger – yummo!

45 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries March 2, 2011 at 9:06 am

Hi There!
I’m new to your blog! These burgers look great! I think I’m going to make these for dinner tonight because I’ve had frozen cooked red quinoa in my freezer for weeks and didn’t know what to do with it!

I’ll let you know how they work out for me! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

46 Erin March 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Wow! This sounds like a great recipe and I can’t wait to try it!!

47 Cookin' Canuck June 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm

This is brilliant! What a great use of quinoa. Vegetarian week starts in our Get Grillin’ event on Monday – we’d love for you to share this one!

48 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

will do, thank you! :) hope you are having a great weekend!

49 Elizabeth V September 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm

these sound great, how do you keep them together? that’s always my problem with burgers made at home.

50 Zenana Smith September 12, 2011 at 5:37 am

my friend shared this link with me, I made them last night and they are SO good! Elizabeth, they take a momment to come together but I believe it’s the potatoe that helps, they DO make patties!

the flavor is great!

51 Frank Jarvis October 13, 2011 at 9:27 am

these were last night’s dinner and will be lunch for today, we love them. thank you for your great recipe site, I will be making more!

52 Jenny October 31, 2011 at 3:04 am

why can’t I print the recipes??? so frustrating, why bother doing this at all???

53 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 9:28 am

I’m sorry this is so upsetting to you. I have emailed you the recipe.

54 Yoli November 6, 2011 at 6:44 am

the basil aioli sounds amazing, I cannot get it out of my head! THIS is what’s for dinner!! :D

55 Marlo November 13, 2011 at 3:36 am

wow, these sound amazing!

56 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:21 am

thank you, Marlo! it’s a summery favorite for us!

57 Grandma Wrinkles February 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm

made these today, they were DAMN good!