pumpkin ice cream

in Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

Thanks to everyone’s help with my Spam issue yesterday. The feedback and conversations I get to have on all of my favorite blogs is, to me, one of the best aspects of blogging.

It is getting pretty cold here in Portland. You’d think I would not want cold food, right? Well. When I found some dairy free egg nog (what??) the other day, I immediately knew what I wanted to do with it.

I am so happy I did. This is some of the most delicious ice cream I have ever had! Right on up there with Chubby Hubby (you cannot go wrong with chocolate covered, peanut butter filled pretzels inside ice cream!) and Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter (am I being redundant?).

Point being, this is good. So Very Good.

pumpkin ice cream

2 cups Silk nog
1 cup coconut milk (full fat canned)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spiceĀ

Blend the Nog, milk and tapioca flour in high powered blender until fluffy (by hand or with the whisk attachment on your stand mixer). Combine the pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla and spices; fold into milk mixture. Prepare according to ice cream maker instructions.

This is pumpkin sweet cream. The Nog makes it incredibly rich and the maple syrup and cinnamon lend a warm sweetness. Incredible.

I hope everyone wants pumpkin ice cream for Thanksgiving – it’s whats for dinner dessert!

Do you only eat ice cream in the warm months, or are you a year ’round fan?

What interesting flavor would you like to see me make into an ice cream?

1 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ November 16, 2010 at 3:36 am

Pumpkin ice cream is one of my favorites – especially this time of year. Looks delicious!

2 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm

thank you!! I’ve never had it, as far as I can recall… I think it turned out pretty tasty! :D

3 lindsay November 16, 2010 at 3:47 am

i can’t eat ice cream when its cold, I am a wuss! well, unless its a hot fudge sundae. hehe!

4 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Mmm, hot fudge sundae…

I thought I was crazy for getting this at the end of September, but… turns out I use it a lot!! I’m not even a big ice cream person… but I love to create it and then I share!! :D

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 16, 2010 at 5:30 am

Well hello – yum. I love the silk nog. I used it the other day to make a pumpkin cocktail ;-)

6 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm

it’s pretty awesome stuff!! I think it MADE this ice cream!!

7 Camille November 16, 2010 at 6:23 am

This looks amazing! I am a fan of ice cream year round :)
It has been weirdly warm the past few days. I decided to walk to school yesterday so of course I threw on my coat (it was 7am!) and I ended up being boiling all the way there. Maybe I’m just getting acclimated?

8 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:45 pm

completely warm!! crazy, right?? that’s Oregon for ya. it’ll be snowing tomorrow. (um… no, please!!) ;)

9 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt November 16, 2010 at 6:50 am

I can eat ice cream all year too. Its a nice little comfort food when I’m in my toasty apartment.

Can you explain what makes tapioca flour special? I’ve never heard of it!

10 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:47 pm

it’s kinda sweet (and gluten free!) so I use it in sweet food a lot… in this case I used it as a thickener.

11 erica @ fashionmeetsfood November 16, 2010 at 7:15 am

What an awesome idea pumpkin ice cream is! I absolutely love your blog and am now a new follower. Have a fabulous day!

xo

12 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hi Erica !! thank you for reading ! hope you have a fabulous day also!! :D

13 Beth November 16, 2010 at 7:16 am

Wow that look unbelievable! For work, we had a conference in Columbus, OH, and ask a thank you the host committee sent us a ton of different local ice creams – including Pumpkin Harvest. It was unreal!!

14 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:50 pm

thank you!! :) and wow, that’s awesome! :) what a great way to support local ice cream… and ice cream in general !! ;)

15 omgoshimvegan November 16, 2010 at 7:42 am

That looks out of this world. I feel the urge to run out and buy an ice cream maker. Never would have thought of pumpkin ice cream mmmmmm.

16 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm

glad to be of help!! I got mine just a couple months ago, at the end of September… on a HUGE sale!! I bet this is still a great time to find one on sale… ;)

17 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) November 16, 2010 at 7:59 am

Mmm, this looks perfect! Especially since it will still be in the 80′s here for Thanksgiving. Nice way to enjoy fall flavors while staying cool!

18 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm

wow… I cannot imagine an 80 degree Thanksgiving… you should DEFINITELY make this!! :)

19 klover November 16, 2010 at 8:12 am

looks delish! i, too, am an all-year-’round-any-time-of-day ice cream lover. but i don’t have an ice cream maker :’(

20 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm

thank you !! I never thought I’d get one (too many appliances…) but I found this one at the end of summer at a Sur La Table sale – like 50% off!! I am having so much fun making ice cream…

21 couchpotatoathlete November 16, 2010 at 8:47 am

I love ice cream any time of year and any time of day :) I need an ice cream maker badly!!!

22 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:55 pm

you should look right now!! I found mine at the end of summer, on a REALLY good sale!! I bet you still can… :)

23 assistantdoc November 16, 2010 at 8:53 am

That looks AMAZING! Chubby Hubby and Tillamook Choco Peanut Butter are my total favs for ice cream!! I am not a big ice cream fan but those two are the BOMB! Yummo.

24 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm

ah, ice cream flavor twins! I knew I <3 you… ;) I'm not a huge ice cream person either, I just like making awesome flavors!!

25 Lisa November 16, 2010 at 9:37 am

I saw eggnog ice cream and pumpkin ice cream in the store. I was so tempted to try it! I wish I could try it in a small container in case I don’t like it…. ;)

26 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I cannot imagine you wouldn’t… but with the little tiny cup size ones they don’t have pumpkin? I’d keep looking, I bet they do soon…

27 Theresa @ This is my Hungry Face November 16, 2010 at 10:29 am

Yum! I wish I had an ice cream maker– I can eat it throughout the year. I saw the Silk nog in the store the other day and was curious about it, but haven’t tried it yet.

28 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

it was PERFECT for this… I think the nog made it so rich and OH MY STARS awesome :)

29 christina November 16, 2010 at 11:53 am

mmmm. love seasonal flavors!

30 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm

ME TOO !! <3 having fun over here!!

31 eatmovewrite November 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm

My husband LOVES pumpkin flavored stuff. I love the idea of using eggnog. Talk about rich! Yum.

32 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm

MAKE THIS FOR HIM !! ;)

33 Amy @ Second City Randomness November 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Ice cream is never something I eat regularly. But at the same time, if I crave it, I’ll go to Baskin Robbin’s in the middle of January for it! The weather doesn’t bother me… :)

34 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I don’t crave it either… I just love to make it!! :) :) keeping my friends & family happy!

35 hihorosie November 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Oh hello deliciousness!

36 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:04 pm

it IS!! :) thanks!!

37 S @ extremebalance.net/blog November 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm

No way! And here I’ve mentioned DISliking soy nog in my post today—I can only imagine that Silk’s nog is better than Soy Nice’s nog… and that maybe it is all together better to serve it in pumpkin ice cream!

I’ve wanted an ice cream maker addition for my KitchenAid for 3 years… I’m imagining a matcha frozen yogurt, so that it’s got the tartness of the fro yo and the depth of the matcha, and NOT TOO SWEET because I control sugar—can you imagine a dairy-free way of meeting those criteria? :D

38 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm

CRAZY !! I made matcha cupcakes today!! that is awesome… and I actually have this on my List Of Things To Make… so now I HAVE to do this!! for YOU !! :)

39 Mo November 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm

That ice cream looks amazing!

40 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Mo!! It is… ;)

41 Joslyn @ missfitbliss November 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm

OK clearly I need to find you and break your ice cream maker. You’re driving me nuts with these delectable visuals. Samples please?

Here are some cool flavor ideas I’d love for you to try:

-Earl Grey ice cream
-Cadbury Creme Egg ice cream
-Chocolate Apricot ice cream
-Gummy Bear ice cream

42 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:08 pm

okay Joslyn !!! I LOVE this list, thank you!! I will see what I can do… ;) and gummi bear… ah, you know Just Where To Get Me, don’t you??? :) :)

<3 <3

43 Healthy Coconut November 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I found you in spam but you are not out :) Hopefully it won’t happen again.

I don’t think I’ve seen the brand Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter, where do you buy yours, just curious?

I think owning an ice cream maker is very dangerous, I’ll have ice cream every day :) I’ll just enjoy your creation from my computer screen, lol!

44 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Tillamook is an Oregon creamery… (mmm, the best cheese and ice cream…) so I don’t know how far distribution goes… it’s all over here, in Oregon.

It really is the best ice cream on the planet. ;)

45 LiveForTheRun November 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm

STOP. Pump the breaks, you are seriously rocking my world here. I love ice cream, yogurt, froyo, whateveryo, omg this is brilliant recipe! Basil is soooo lucky!

46 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Basil gets NONE !! ;) well, we may let him lick bowls. <3 I love your enthusiasm – I want to come visit and cook for you!

47 Angela (the diet book junkie) November 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm

my ice cream intake is definitely not dependent on the weather. i’m not sure about interesting flavors though, what about….chai?? :)

48 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm

oh yes… chai. that would ROCK. perhaps I should try chai while I still have some of this nog…

49 Angela November 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Oh man this looks amazing. I frickin LOVE soy nog (can’t find it here in Oz… waaaaah!) Bookmarking for when I’m back in Canada!

Oh, and I eat ice cream all year round. I prefer fruity ones to chocolate, although chocolate-mint and chocolate-peanut-butter (anything) are way up there too!!

50 spabettie November 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I recently had gelato for the VERY FIRST time ever… I cannot believe how good it was – I love the fruit flavors.

sorry you have no access to nog right now… but… you are IN AUSTRALIA !! ;) that makes up for it…

51 nocemoscata November 18, 2010 at 2:11 am

Never tried pumpkin ice cream. I absolutely have to try this recipe of yours! :D
Sadly I’m not a cold season ice cream eater, but a pumpkin one could be perfectly fitting for this season!
One flavor? Chocolate of course! :D

52 spabettie November 18, 2010 at 1:19 pm

yes, great seasonal flavor… I’m making this again for Thanksgiving next week…

53 Christina (Dinner at Christina's) November 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Yum, this looks so good! I love pumpkin ice cream, J makes it for us in his ice cream maker. I prefer it w/ fresh puree, versus the canned. We’ll have to try this vegan version one day! Thanks for sharing it with Friday Firsts!

54 spabettie November 21, 2010 at 9:58 am

once again, Christina, thanks for Friday Firsts!! :D I’d love to make this with fresh puree…

55 Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Oh, I would LOVE this!!!! Incredible!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

56 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) March 19, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I NEED to buy an ice cream maker, stat.
I’m definitely an all-year-round ice cream eater. Not even a blizzard would stop me from getting the stuff ;)

57 spabettie March 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Pearl, that is good to hear!! I am the same way, while I don’t necessarily CRAVE ice cream, I definitely don’t need warm weather to enjoy it!

58 rachel September 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm

i can’t wait to make this. i’ve got a question though, did you use canned coconut milk or the kind in the carton, like by so delicious? it looks amazing!

59 spabettie September 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm

hi Rachel! I used the So Delicious milk – I I have made ice creams with canned coconut milk also, so I’m sure either would work in this case. and Thank You – I hope you love it!

60 Amy P November 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

I made this today – ohmysogood!!

61 spabettie November 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

so glad you liked! :D *reminds me… I need to make more soon too

62 LH November 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Three TABLESPOONS of vanilla? Is that a typo? Because that seems really excessive. Most ice cream recipes that contain about 3-4 c. of liquid call for 1-2 TEASPOONS.

63 spabettie November 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm

hi LH,

feel free to use less vanilla if you prefer, or another recipe.

I have made this recipe five or more times, and it works for me.