photo project page

in photography

First of all, will you look at that bird?? I took this photo in our yard the other day – from our back deck.

You may not be able to tell, but that bird is bigger than Basil.

Look at how he’s looking at me…

I am becoming more and more interested in photography, and I want to actually learn what I am doing! Jason gave me photography classes for the holidays that I cannot wait to begin!

To start the new year, I am doing a 365 Project. I am taking a photo a day, and I have started a page on spabettie to document and for you to follow along. :D

In college I played tennis every day at Mountain Park Racquet Club.
I went to the same spot on the deck that overlooked a big hill, and took the same photo at the same time each day. I did this just about every day, and I had several years worth of photos that spanned the seasons and changes. Stunning sunsets, bright snow, colorful leaves, beautiful green.

I am very excited about this project.

I will be designing a new page, along with some other changes that are coming to spabettie. Until then, the page is here, with the first five photos!

Have you ever participated in a project like this – photography or otherwise?

Have you ever seen a bird that big?

1 Kristina @ Life as Kristina January 5, 2011 at 4:44 am

That bird is huge!!!!!! I have never done any type of photography-my fiance is starting to get into it (I bought him a cannon rebel for his “starter”)-I want to steal it one of these days and learn how to use it though!

2 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:57 am

you should – I’ve been having fun, so far kinda learning as I go!

3 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 5, 2011 at 5:25 am

Oooh, great idea!!! I might have to do the same thing!

Um, that bird FREAKS me out.

4 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 6:43 am

do it – it’s FUN !! :D yes, he kinda freaked me out too… but then I wanted a photo (um, or like, 50 photos…).

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 5, 2011 at 5:32 am

Oh very cool project. Love that idea.

6 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:56 am

thanks, Heather! I’m having fun with it so far!!

7 Lisa Fine January 5, 2011 at 6:13 am

Great idea. I’ve seen some great photo logs on Flickr too.

8 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

when I googled for the link I saw that there were MANY out there… I need to spend some time looking at others!

9 I Will Run For Chocolate January 5, 2011 at 6:44 am

I have been wanting to do that and I already forgot :/ lol

10 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:53 am

so, start now!! :D

11 saltytooth January 5, 2011 at 6:53 am

Very cool, I look forward to the photos!

12 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:53 am

thanks, Kristin! me too!! :)

13 Beth January 5, 2011 at 7:47 am

That’s an awesome idea! I can’t think of something I could commit to do every day for the whole year though… Hmmmm.

14 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:53 am

ha! I know, I’m only five days in, so far I am having fun! I hope to not run out of subjects

15 Kris O'Connor @Krazy_Kris January 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’m with you! I just have to learn how to hold still and focus…. (and compose, light, present). But other than that, I’m good!

COOL pic! I’d ask you what kind of lens you have, but I wouldn’t understand your answer :-D

Nice job!

16 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

Kris I am loving your comments today, you always make me smile :)

Most of my FOOD photos, I use a 35mm that I love, sometimes I use a 50mm. For pretty much everything else, I use my beloved 18-200 – I LOVE that lens.

17 Lynn January 5, 2011 at 8:27 am

That, I believe, is a Great Blue Heron. Cant see all of him/her or the beak so kind of hard to be sure. I love those birds, so graceful and calming. She was probably checking out your creek there for any lunch!! Lovely!! I cant wait to see your pics when you start taking classes!! You are already great!

18 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hi Lynn!! :) yes, I think so… my mom has them in her yard frequently, they have a big pond… we see some big birds taking off from the lake out past the property, but this was the first time one has come close… yes, if you are picturing our yard, you know this was RIGHT ABOVE the creek! I tried to get other angles that included the beak – he watched me for a while then flew away…

19 Lynn January 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Ya know Bend has plenty of cool things to take pictures of!! hint hint

20 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm

YEEEEESSSSS… I *KNOW* I cannot believe it has been so long since I’ve been there… ESPECIALLY with YOU there!! I’ll talk to Jason about squeezing in a weekend trip soon?

21 Jennifer @ shesafitchick January 5, 2011 at 8:46 am

Good for you! I have never participated in a photo project. Once I am done with school I think that will go on my list! :)

22 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:51 am

I would LOVE to see a photo project that you would do, Jennifer!!

23 purplebirdblog January 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

I saw a creepy big bird flying around by my neighborhood the other day, but I was driving so I couldn’t snap a pic!

24 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 8:51 am

oooh, good thinking – not while driving – but I’d probably go on a walk with my camera, on a Creepy Big Bird hunt!! :)

25 Andrea (Off Her Cork) January 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

Kristina you are adorable and I love your about page! We have similar approaches to wellness, food, and life. :) Thank you for stopping by and saying hello!

26 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hi Andrea!! thanks for coming by!! I read A LOT of your blog this morning, and I look forward to more, you are now in my reader!

27 Dorry January 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

Love this idea! You know how much I love taking photos. I’m looking forward to seeing everything you capture through your lens. And let us know how the photography classes go once you begin them! xo

28 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I will… I’m really looking forward to all that I will learn, and hopefully there will be a visible improvement here… :)

29 Lisa January 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

A friend of mine did this last year and I loved the project. The photos were cool and I looked forward to it. :)

30 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I’m looking forward to doing this… so far it’s been fun!

31 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I love this idea! As you know, photography is a huge focus for me. I’m trying to learn how to use this awesome SLR and do it justice. Can’t wait to see what you photograph this year. :)

32 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

perhaps we can go on photography field trips soon! :D

33 Sandie {A Bloggable Life |365} January 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog to take a peak at my mixed version of a 365!

Best of luck with your photos 365. I’ve never attempted a strictly-photos version, but have had friends that have. Some stuck it out for the full year, some gave up in August and even as late as September. I think those who resolved to just stick with it no matter what, were really pleased with themselves & their results at the end. So my only advice is to “just stick with it!”

Have fun & be sure to keep in touch! ~ Sandie

34 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I have been wondering if I’ll run out of subjects… but I see more walks and fun “field trips” in my day because of this! :) I hope I will (and can) stick with it… I would hope if I made it to September, I can make it the full 365… :D

35 Lisa @ Thrive Style January 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’m heading down the photog road too…so far just experimenting on my own, but probably going to take a class so I can get some real advice!

Love the challenge idea!

~Lisa

36 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I am liking it so much, and I just KNOW that I don’t really know what I’m doing!! I can’t wait to take the classes!

37 Fervent Foodie January 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Love this idea!!!

38 Erin January 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Good job with this project! I did it last year and I loved it. It was so easy with the blogging and such. Good luck!!!

39 spabettie January 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm

cool, I didn’t know you did it… did you do it on flickr or on a separate blog? I’d LOVE to see!!