sunny mandarin frostie

in Breakfast,daily juice,daily smoothie,recipes,Second Breakfast,Smoothie

Today’s Second Breakfast falls under both daily smoothie and daily juice.

It is a potent one, containing maca (I’ve been sharing recipes with it but not sharing what it actually is – bad blogger). Maca is an earthy flavored superfood powder, originating from a root vegetable. Some suggested benefits of maca? Energy! Maca contains all of the essential aminos, B vitamins (there’s that energy!) including B12, minerals and enzymes. *

It is said to regulate hormones, boost mood, and balance glands. *

It amps up my smoothies and makes them taste good

Sunny Mandarin Frostie

serves one

3 Mandarin oranges, peeled and juiced
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1 scoop vanilla protein
1 scoop Mandarin Orange SPARK
1 frozen banana
1 tablespoon maca powder

Peel and juice oranges. Add juice to blender with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.

This was amazing… and another summery taste in the middle of winter.

Today’s smoothie also  gives a nod to Shake’s Pizza in Columbia:

Who has a Shakespeare’s cup? I know you’re out there…

*sources: David Free, LMT; Center for Natural Medicine

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Interesting. I just signed up on groupon today. I have used a couple of sites (like restaurant.com) to get great deals.

2 Anna January 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Yum! I need to create more orange-flavored smoothies.

3 purplebirdblog January 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Mmm, with a Spark in it, love it!

4 Monique January 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Oh man that looks good :)

5 I Will Run For Chocolate January 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Ooh, I am definitely trying Moolala! I love Groupon and we are currently trying to find time to go to a wine tasting that we bought in Salem :)

6 kris | iheartwellness.com January 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Mmmm I love your morning creamsicle!!! I must get back on my frothy morning bevies. lately I have been having a whack of greens mixed with a banana, chia seeds and some rice milk. No protein powder even! Lazy Kris…

This Moolala sounds freaking rad!!

xxoo

7 Carla @ Will Run for Health January 13, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for the tip about the new site! I use Groupon like it’s my job! Cheap yoga classes and wine tastings, why yes…I will.

8 Sana January 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Omg this new site sounds awesomeee! I love groupons!

9 Dorry January 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I subscribe to LivingSocial and Groupon. I’ve purchased some great yoga and restaurant deals. Haven’t heard of Mobba, but going to check it out now!

10 happytalesblog January 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Hey there! I just found your blog… decided to pop on over because I’ve seen you comment on some of the other blogs I read.

I love using groupon and livingsocial… so I’m really excited to hear about this new one!!

11 Christina (Dinner at Christina's) January 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

You make me want a juicer. Which is a bad bad thing b/c I’m sloppy and lazy. hehe Thanks for sharing with Friday Firsts!

12 suvo May 10, 2013 at 2:13 am

maca powder
is able to contribute to overall well-being and provide the body with over 20 different fatty acids, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B12 and B1 & B2, vitamin C as well as many other vitamins and minerals.

13 Andrea March 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Shakespear’s! Yes, I have those cups lol! Fun to see them on the web!

14 Kristina Sloggett March 18, 2014 at 9:33 pm

hee, awesome Andrea! I am usually craving a Shake’s pizza…