a good start

in Breakfast,daily juice,Gluten Free,Second Breakfast

Good Morning! I hope everyone’s week is starting off in a happy and positive way!

Mine started with a delicious and colorful breakfast.

I roasted half a butternut squash with maple syrup, and made more spinach pancakes.

Basil and I bundled up and went for our run. Part of the trail by our house has been closed all summer, and it was repaved and open last week. This is the much larger half, so we were excited to use it again. It was closed today, but we’re hoping it’s almost ready to be open for good. So we made a couple “laps” of the shorter end.

On our run I planned Second Breakfast – my daily juice!

You all know the only way I’ll eat a banana like that is in juice, oatmeal or baked in something wonderful. So I juiced a bunch of fruit + veg, then blended it with that banana.

Post Run Chiller

serves two

5 carrots
5 stalks celery
2 green apples
1 lemon, peeled
1 grapefruit, peeled
1 beet

Blend with 1 banana.

This was a full Vitamix container of juice when finished – serves two – but I drank it all myself. :D

Steph’s bake sale is in full swing today – bidding goes on until 9pm tonight!

My butter toffee blondies are up for bid, and as always, you know I cannot send a package without adding all kinds of fun goodies! :D

The bake sale benefits Team In Training and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society – go check it out!

1 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews January 31, 2011 at 9:58 am

What a bright and colorful meal! Looks great.

2 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thank you! I’m thinking I want it for lunch too… maybe with greek yogurt on top as well…

3 Mary @ Fervent Foodie January 31, 2011 at 10:01 am

Those green pancakes are adorable!

4 Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses January 31, 2011 at 10:03 am

HAD to look at the recipe for spinach pancakes! That color has me super intrigued! I got my kids to admit they LOVED their Green Goblins this morning (Green Monsters..just re-named to suit their taste in comic book villains) so now I’m excited to re-vamp old favorites to add more of the good greens!

5 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:08 am

Green Goblins – I LOVE it!! You could add some applesauce to these spinach pancakes, or something sweet, to make them a more traditional pancake with a great color that kids would love! As I made them, they are more savory. :)

6 Jasmine January 31, 2011 at 10:03 am

Very interesting breakfast. I would never have thought to use butternut squash as a topping.

7 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:06 am

it was really good… kind of a sweet and savory, really. :D

8 lindsay January 31, 2011 at 10:07 am

Breakfast of champions right there!

9 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:06 am

Most Definitely! Basil and I are champions today!!

10 Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2011 at 10:20 am

Juice blended with a banana!! I’m packing my things now… you can expect me to move in with you shortly! ;)

11 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

haa haa!! :D I will make you juice anytime!

12 Heather (Perspective Is Everything) January 31, 2011 at 10:21 am

there are those Packer pancakes again ;) i must get on that….just ran out of my GF flour AND spinach :(
guess i know what i’ll be getting at the store today :)
butternut squash also, i think. great inspiration!

13 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

GO PACKERS ! :D yes… or perhaps you can get a more YELLOW squash of some sort – to go with the green?? :D

14 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 31, 2011 at 10:56 am

Loving the pancakes with the butternut squash topping. So cool. I used to hate bananas growing up but now I love and crave them. Funny how that can happen.

15 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:02 am

I have always loved bananas, but can only eat them “plain” if they are totally yellow, a little green, not ripe! :) they have a totally different taste! :)

would it be bad if I had this again for lunch? the butternut squash was SO good… :D

16 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

I am the same way with bananas. I cannot stand a ripe banana. Jason thinks I’m crazy. Obviously I am not ;-) I think it’d make the perfect lunch – and dinner!

17 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:49 am

hee! yep – my Jason is our ripe banana eater. ;) there are FREE bananas in the cafe at his work, so… that means I sometimes have to find other uses for them! :D

18 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again– I LOVE the look of those green pancakes!

19 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:50 am

thanks, Anna! :) they are GOOD… you should try them!

20 S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 31, 2011 at 11:11 am

dude. You run a dachshund?!? How far can the little man go?? That’s awesome! I used to dogsit for a dachshund, and I had to carry her on the first half of the walk. Then, when we were far enough from home and heading back, she was in for the stroll because we were heading back to where the dinner bowl lived. I think Basil is better behaved. :)

21 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

hee!! yes – Basil keeps up pretty well – we start out in a jog, and as I get faster he looks up at me as if to say “oh, okay, we’re really doing this?? let’s go!” and he starts running fast – where both back legs go together, like a bunny. :D so cute. we usually stay at slower pace, and of course he stops to sniff… and right now? he is SACKED OUT. :D

22 Dorry January 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

Love all the pretty colors in your breakfasts. And glad you got to go for a run with Basil. :) I’m excited for springtime!

23 NYCPatty January 31, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Your food is always so colorful! How did the spinach pancakes taste?

I’d be interested in trying them.

24 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm

they’re good! the spinach taste is there, but subtle… adding sweetener (applesauce, etc) would probably mask the flavor to make a more traditional pancake. I loved them as a savory, and my thought in making them was to use them for sandwich “bread” – my favorite so far is hummus and tomato!

you should give them a try!

25 Cait January 31, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Your breakfast is so colorful! I would love to get my own Juicer someday..all the fabulous combinations you could come up with me are amazing..and SO YUMMY for you :)

26 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I LOVE vibrant and colorful food!! :D I’m pretty addicted to my juicer – I sometimes juice more than once a day…

27 Kristina @ life as kristina January 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm

What a perfect topper for those pancakes beauties!!!! I love that color!

28 spabettie January 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm

it was GOOD… I refrained from having this again for lunch, even though I really really wanted to!! :D

29 Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 31, 2011 at 2:15 pm

That juice is a Nutrient powerhouse! Wow :)
I’m also very impressed with your colorful breakfast. Half the reason I never have “fancy”/creative breakfasts is my 1) impatience + 2) laziness in the morning!

30 spabettie February 1, 2011 at 8:02 am

trust me, I don’t ALWAYS do breakfasts like this!! I do always have awesome juicing, though!! :)

31 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons January 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm

ohmygosh! I thought it said post RUM chiller for a second and got really excited! haha =)

Those spinach pancakes are pure genius =)

32 spabettie February 1, 2011 at 8:00 am

HEE !! yes, I always juice after my morning cocktail!! ;)

33 christina January 31, 2011 at 9:21 pm

i can’t get over how perfect your pancakes come out. like are they real!? haha

34 spabettie February 1, 2011 at 7:58 am

haa… so unreal. ;)

35 veggietestkitchen January 31, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I can’t get over the fact that the pancakes are so green! It’s great. I would love to eat such a colorful breakfast plate.

I’m giving away a $10 Gardein (vegan products) gift card on my site. Check it out if you have any interest in their products. Cheers.

36 spabettie February 1, 2011 at 7:48 am

yes – I just saw that come through on my reader – I entered :D thank you for the heads up!!

37 Jennifer January 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Breakfast bliss!

Those spinach pancakes look incredible!!! What a beautiful colour! And what a delicious idea to top them with the butternut squash. :)

38 spabettie February 1, 2011 at 7:47 am

It was so good… it is going to be breakfast again today… :)

39 Erin February 1, 2011 at 6:43 am

So pretty! Now that is the way to start the day!

I would have sucked down that juice all on my own too.

40 spabettie February 1, 2011 at 7:30 am

yep. did it again this morning too. Jason had ONE glass, I had three ;)