Valentines Dinner In

in Dessert,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes

Jason and I went out to dinner for Valentines Day, and it was wonderful and fun… we like to go out to dinner. We had a delicious four course dinner at Naomi Pomeroy’s Beast.

Iron Chef fans may remember Naomi Pomeroy in Battle Truffle against Jose Garces last fall.

Truffles? Yes please!

Beast was amazing. It’s family style, meaning there are two seatings a night, a prix fixe menu and everyone is served together. It’s really fun to chat with others seated at your table – we got lucky and had a few really neat people seated with us!

Last night, I wanted to continue Valentines, and I surprised Jason with a homemade four course dinner of my own…

first course, salad course (a little bit louder and a whole lot… oh, what? only me? okay)

a simple salad of butter lettuce, iceberg and spinach with broccoli, dressed with olive oil, basil and lemon

second course, a pizza that I cannot wait to make again!

asparagus pizza

gluten free crust
sun-dried tomato basil spread
vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
asparagus spears
olive oil

Spread sun-dried tomato spread on pizza crusts, top with cheese. Arrange asparagus in rows, drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

third course, pasta:

fettuccine with roasted tomato creme

15 fresh tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Earth Balance
2 tablespoons flour (gluten free ap)
1 cup almond milk
pasta (quinoa spaghetti)
sea salt to taste

Chop tomatoes, arrange on sheet pan with garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and roast @ 450. Make a roux: melt earth balance in sauté pan, add flour, blend and brown slightly. Add almond milk, stir until creamy. Add 1/2 roasted tomatoes and roux to food processor or blender – blend to smooth. Add this mixture and remaining roasted tomatoes to slow cooker, cook on low several hours. Add cooked fettuccine to sauce and serve.

fourth course – chocolate truffle torte

This was inspired by the Valentines dessert we enjoyed at Beast – we were served a chocolate truffle cake topped with a brûléed housemade marshmallow and a candied rose petal. It was amazing, and I wanted it again last night.

I made a gluten free chocolate truffle torte, very dense and rich.
I topped it with Jason’s favorite, vanilla bean ice cream, and my favorite, salted caramel sauce.

This torte? Probably one of my top five recipes ever! I can’t decide if I want to write a cook book or open a bakery!

1 Mary @ Fervent Foodie February 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm

That dessert looks outrageously delicious!

2 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm

thanks, Mary… it was so incredible. I am SO SUPER EXCITED about it. seriously, I want to make them and sell them. :D

3 kalin February 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I sub at Naomi’s daughter’s school-her daughter had an adorable entry about how her mom was ROBBED on Iron Chef :-)

4 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm

ha! that’s funny! *she WAS;)

5 lindsay February 16, 2011 at 2:15 pm

that is the coolest look pizza. So clean and fresh looking! love it!

6 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I know… I absolutely love it… it tasted that way too, fresh and clean! I cannot wait until summer… :D

7 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete February 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That pizza looks amazing! I love how the asparagus looks!

8 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

thanks, Holly! it was so good… I want to make another for dinner tonight… exactly the same…

9 Lisa February 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm

What a heavenly looking meal….that pizza looks good and I love the idea of cooking a four course meal! I might have to steal that idea and surprise my bf.

I’ve been wanting to check out BEAST for a long time.

10 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

It was amazing food – you guys would LOVE it!! the food, anyway… some people don’t like the “family style” but their tables are big, they don’t crowd you (like they do sometimes at Le Pigeon).. nothing against Le Pigeon, I LOVE it there… :)

anyway, you should go – they have brunch also, and a “recession sessions” once a month, three courses for $30, and a vegetarian series… we will definitely be back!!

11 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

…and yes… the four courses was a fun thing… I prepped everything beforehand, so I didn’t have much to actually “do” in between… having the pasta sauce in a slow cooker was easy, the salads were quick to put together, and I made the pizzas about an hour before, and added the asparagus last minute. the dessert we waited a while anyway, so all I had to do was quickly heat the caramel… YUM and it was FUN :D

12 Christin@purplebirdblog February 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm

ASPARAGUS PIZZA! Hell to the YES.

13 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm

it was so amazingly good!!

14 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I was smacking my mouth together reading this post. mmmm I want some of that torte!!

15 spabettie February 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Mmm… I am SO excited at how it turned out… I seriously cannot wait to make it again… I want to have a party or attend a party, just so I can share this amazingness with people!! :)

16 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Oh wow, everything looks great, especially that asparagus pizza. YUM.

17 spabettie February 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

I can’t get over it… I want to eat this every day…

18 Dorry February 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm

What a meal! I bet he was so thankful for a surprise 2nd Valentine’s dinner at home. Dining out is so much fun, but there’s nothing like wearing my pajamas and slippers in the kitchen with Billy. :)

19 spabettie February 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

yep – this was eaten in what we call our “soft pants”. :)

20 Kiran February 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Now, I am waiting for a dinner invitation ;) everything looks sumptuous!

21 spabettie February 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

aw, thanks, Kiran! if you’re ever planning to come this way, let me know… ;)

22 Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses February 17, 2011 at 6:24 am

How bout both??? That asparagus pizza looks so divine. :)

23 spabettie February 17, 2011 at 11:17 am

hee – yep, I should do both… this asparagus pizza will be made again and again here… it was so SO good!

24 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 20, 2011 at 8:21 am

wow… that asparagas thing looks amazing!!

25 Dinner at Christina's February 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’m a HUGE fan of asparagus! That pizza has my name all over it! I love it!

26 foodies at home February 26, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Your meal looks wonderful! I love the asparagus all lined up so nice and neat! Cute!

27 spabettie February 27, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thank you, Charisse! That asparagus pizza / tart was such a hit we’ve had it again, with homemade dough, with socca… Thanks for reading – I’m looking around at your blog now! :)

28 Danny February 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I’ve made the “pizza” in a slightly different form. I’ve used a puff pastry crust and Gruyere cheese. It’s a wonderful dish to welcome Spring.

29 spabettie March 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

oh, yes – I’ve done this too… I love puff pastry “tarts” – and the natural pairing for me always seems to be asparagus? and gruyere makes anything better!

30 Meg Joyce March 4, 2011 at 8:46 am

I am so excited to win this through Katie’s fundraiser!!! It looks AMAZING. One of my friends just found out she has celiac disease, so I am excited to share the gluten free recipe with her. Thanks again!

31 spabettie March 4, 2011 at 9:02 am

hi Meg!! I’m glad you are so excited… this is GOOD… it’s my newest favorite recipe! I am going to do my best to pack it VERY CAREFULLY so it arrives in one piece… :D I hope you enjoy!! Give my best to your friend – the transition to gluten free can be daunting, but tell her it gets easier… I have been gluten free for several years and have seen HUGE improvements in that small amount of time!

Thank you for bidding – I am so happy Katie is able to go on this important trip!

32 Meg March 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Also…could I ask you to send it to a different address than is listed on my paypal account, or is it too late?

33 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

emailed you girl !! :D

34 Jett April 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

Hi
I just found your site and really enjoy it. Would you be willing to share your recipe on the chocolate torte? It’s my husbands favorite and this looks more like what he likes. Please, please, please??
Thanks
Jett
Your newest fan

35 Corrie November 18, 2011 at 6:41 am

did you ever publish the chocolate torte recipe? this dinner looks so fun!