edamame egg salad & buffalo tempeh

in Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

We had a couple snow days last week, and Jason worked from home. He liked the lunch I made so much, I remade the same again the next day. ;)

Every now and then I crave an egg salad. Armed with Danica’s Secret to the Perfect Boiled Egg, I came up with a new twist on classic egg salad. Seriously, her trick works! It’s perfect – I wish I had known this long ago!

edamame egg salad

serves two

2 hard boiled eggs
3/4 cup shelled edamame
3 tablespoons plain cashew creme
sea salt

Chop eggs, combine with cashew creme and edamame. Salt to taste.

The first day, I made sandwiches with my spinach pancakes, fresh spinach leaves in the middle. The second day, open faced sandwiches:

This was my first time cooking with tempeh. I went spicy.

buffalo tempeh strips

1 package tempeh (I chose unflavored)
1/4 cup buffalo sauce

Slice tempeh into thin strips. Coat with buffalo sauce and marinate. Preheat oven to 350. Line tempeh strips on parchment or foil on a baking sheet, and brush / spoon / pour sauce over strips. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve with celery sticks and mustard cashew creme for dipping.

mustard cashew creme

basic cashew creme:

raw cashews, soaked overnight
water – amount depending on desired thickness
high speed blender

Blend cashews on high speed until creamy – add water to thin.

For mustard cashew creme, add 1 tablespoon spicy mustard and 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar.

Have you cooked with tempeh?

1 Lisa March 2, 2011 at 3:26 am

Love the egg salad edamame combo! Well…that and the green and yellow together. If it looks that good, it must taste awesome!

2 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:49 am

thanks, Lisa… it does taste pretty awesome… :D

3 Kelly March 2, 2011 at 3:36 am

I eat tempeh all the time, but I never really do much with it. My favorite way to eat it is on toast with jam and cheese. But I really need to branch out and try actually cooking with it. Your dish looks so creative and yummy! I love eggs in any shape or form. :)

4 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

oh, wow – that’s a new one, toast with jam + cheese… I’m definitely going to try that…

5 lindsay March 2, 2011 at 3:58 am

hello COLOR!! I love tempeh. Now this recipe just rocks. As usual! So nourishing too.

6 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:51 am

yes, Lindsay – more COLOR !! :D

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 2, 2011 at 5:35 am

I used to LOVE egg salad when I was a kid. I made it all the darn time. I love that tempeh. Did it seem dry to you though? Mine always seems dry. I’ve started just using it crumbled lately.

8 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:54 am

I really covered it in the buffalo sauce, so not really… and we had the mustard dip… but this is my first time cooking with it, so I’ll keep that in mind… before you started crumbing it, how did you use it?

9 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

I would just baste it with BBQ sauce or some other sort of sauce and grill or bake it. But it always seemed pretty dry. I’ve also poached it before in a thinned out sauce then basted it in the same thicker sauce.

10 Camille March 2, 2011 at 5:43 am

What a cool, unique meal!
I looove tempeh but I rarely jazz it up. I love making sandwiches out of it!

11 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

so, do you just eat it plain in sandwiches? crumbled or sliced? (I’m wondering how others use it, I’m a tempeh newbie!)

12 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete March 2, 2011 at 6:13 am

I have to say, you eat the cutest food! I love the bright colors :)

13 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

hee – thanks, Holly! :D

14 Christin@purplebirdblog March 2, 2011 at 7:59 am

Mustard cashew cream! Yes ma’am!

15 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

right?? :D it was.

16 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm

seriously – cashew cream? OMG

17 spabettie June 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm

ooooh, YEEESSSS. seriously! :D it’s amazing! incredibly versatile. oh, I cannot WAIT for you to try it!!

18 Dorry March 2, 2011 at 8:02 am

I’m with Lindsay – so colorful & nourishing… I think you’re on to something! I just told Billy last night that I’ve been craving eggs – it’s been a long time. I’d say hard-boiled is my favorite way to eat an egg, and this sounds delicious. I’ve never cooked with tempeh, and have actually only had it a couple of times.

19 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

so, did you have eggs yet? :) if hard boiled is your favorite you would probably like this!

this was my first time cooking with tempeh – we were happy with it!

20 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons March 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm

you made my tummy oh so happy =) eggs? check! edamame? check!

totally making this for lunch right now =) …ok i know its past lunchtime — but I slacked!

21 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:56 am

SO glad you liked it !! XXO

22 Angie (Losing It and Loving It) March 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh my buffalo tempeh sounds awesome. I was wondering what I wanted to do with my package and now I know. Looks delish as does the egg salad.

Saw a link on Twitter and wanted to check it out.

23 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:56 am

did you try this? if / when you do let me know what you thought!! :)

24 Danica March 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I LOVE how GREEN everything is. So glad the egg trick worked for you – it’s the ONLY way I make eggs now :)

I LOVE the idea of Edamame in my egg salad too ~ I definitely need to try that.

Thanks,

D

25 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:57 am

yes – the edamame in egg salad is GOOD !

I am SO happy your trick works… you don’t KNOW how I would CURSE at eggs before – tiny pieces of shell – GAAH ! ;)

26 Dinner at Christina's March 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Oh yummy I love hard boiled eggs! In fact I JUST bought store eggs (we usually get fresh ones from J’s mom’s hens, but they are a b***h to peel) to do hard boiled eggs/egg salad this week!!!

Your idea of mixing the salad w/ edamame is GENIUS!!!

27 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:59 am

oh man, I am jealous that you get fresh hen eggs… you should try the boiling trick on them – see if they’re easier to peel??

and definitely try the edamame – YUM !

hope you’re having a fab weekend, Christina!!

28 camille March 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

That egg salad looks amazing! I love tempeh. It’s funny you posted this because I hadn’t cooked tempeh in a LONG time until last Sunday, when I got the hankering for it and made a Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Tempeh. It was pretty good, but this recipe looks awesome, I’m gonna have to try it out! :)

29 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 10:04 am

yes – let me know how you like it… we love anything with buffalo sauce around here. I’m going to go look for your buckwheat noodle salad – did you post it? :D

30 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka March 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Loving the green and orange! I’ve only made tempeh in it’s ground form never in sticks like yours but diggin your idea. It looks very appetizing, buffalo anything is A-OK in my book!

31 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

yep – we love buffalo too… this was my first time cooking with tempeh, I was wanting to come up with something different! :D

32 Lauren @ Team Giles March 3, 2011 at 8:21 am

Love edamame!

What is cashew cream?

33 spabettie March 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

you soak raw cashews overnight – they get soft – and then blend them with water in a high powered blender… it’s awesomesauce. ;) you can add sea salt, savory flavorings or for a dessert you can add maple syrup … like I did here –> carrot pancakes with maple cashew creme SO yum!!

34 Camille March 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

No, I didn’t. I’m so slow at posting recipes and the like. I really need to streamline my process. If/when I do I’ll let ya know! :)

35 Camille March 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

and p.s. this reply is totally in the wrong spot. Lol! Oops. :)

36 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

ha~! no problem! :D

37 Kristi Stuckart March 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

My favorite way to eat tempeh is a tempeh rueben! Slice it thin and dip it in tamari, bake it or fry it then toast some good rye bread, add some homeade thousand island style dressing and sourkraut..m-m-m-m it is good!

38 spabettie March 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm

oh, wow, that sounds great… I have in my “to do” to make a vegan reuben – tempeh was one of the contenders – good to know it’s fabulous!!

39 Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 3, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Oh my gosh! I LOVE your spinach cakes!! So vibrantly green! Beautiful pics as usual! Oh, everything looks so good! Can I just come over and you cook for me?? I’ll even do the dishes! ;)

40 spabettie March 4, 2011 at 9:09 am

YOU’RE ON ! tell me you’ll do dishes and I’ll cook for you all day!! :D

41 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt March 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I love this idea. So colorful and fun to eat!

42 Katie March 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I really need to make those spinach pancakes… They look so cute and tasty! I love reading your blog. I am a gf eater too, and love getting fun new ideas.

-Katie =)

43 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:25 am

hi Katie!! I hope you try these, they’re tasty! thanks for saying hello – hope you are having a fabulous weekend!

44 Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm

That looks wonderful – great photographs!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

45 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:10 am

Thank you so much, Mary, and thanks for saying hello!

46 Alli March 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

very colourful, I love your spinach pancakes, that’s my kind of breakfast.

47 spabettie March 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

thank you, Alli!! isn’t colorful, vibrant food the best?

48 marine August 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm

this looks delectable! I love your spinach pancakes, so creative and I love the color! I bet the flavor is very versitale too. edamame gives more protein to egg salad, and adds a unique flavor.

49 Red September 1, 2011 at 6:28 am

I LOVE THOSE PANCAKES!! edamame is a perfect addition to most anything, but I never thought of egg salad – lovely. I have not had tempe – is it similar to tofu the way it absorbs flavors?

50 spabettie September 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

thanks, Red! and the tempeh – tempeh comes in flavors (spicy, five grain) and is made from fermented soybean (some have added grains). it’s firmer than tofu (more of a veggie burger consistency), and doesn’t absorb flavors as much as tofu, but is good with sauces over it, like I did here with buffalo sauce. it’s naturally gluten free, also!

51 Nanette September 5, 2011 at 2:31 am

I made the pancakes this morning (with your flax egg replacement) and they were great! my kids loved them, they ate them sweet with maple syrup. I made a sandwich from mine, with lettuce, sprouts, avocado and cheeze – delicious THANK YOU!!!

52 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm

you are SO welcome! glad you enjoyed, and that the flax egg worked for you (I make them with flax or chia egg all the time now!). your sandwich sounds great – sprouts really make a sandwich tasty!

53 Gary September 19, 2011 at 6:02 am

loved this, had for braekfast this morning!

54 Lorri September 28, 2011 at 5:24 am

you are so creative – these look great!

55 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

thanks, Lorri!

56 Carlie December 31, 2011 at 3:10 am

I made this egg salad for late night after bars snacks for a group of us, and we all said it was our new favorite thing!! I am taking my laptop to sleep with me, to look around here at your other recipes, thank you for this one!

Carlie and friends!

57 Sara February 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I never would think of this, cant wait to try it, thanks!!