What I Ate Wednesday

in Basil is a Young Sportsman

To celebrate Jenn’s birthday, I am finally participating in What I Ate Wednesday! Happy Birthday, girl!!

I started off with a daily juice, of course – this one was beets, celery, ginger, lemon and carrots. So fresh!

After my morning run, a mango Chobani with homemade granola and hemp hearts.

and a Guava Goddess…

Lunch was edamame egg salad on spinach pancakes.

with a side of kale chips sent from Christin. She is the best kale chip maker ever! Here is her recipe…  and here is another one!

Afternoon snack was a Big Salad – mixed greens, bell pepper, red onion, and lemon juice. I topped it with garlic chive hummus.

I know later I will be having a nutella hand pie

Basil wanted to send a Full Body Wag Happy Birthday to Jenn! :D

What are you eating today?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

MMMM that salad looks great. I just love that picture of Basil and the booties!!

2 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I know, isn’t he just too cute? I can’t stand it. ;)

3 Lisa March 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love WIAW! It makes me try and eat more fun things so I can have pretty stuff to take pics of :)

Yours definitely beat mine— I want you to make food for me!

4 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

this was my first one, I’ve been meaning to and just never got it together! and it IS so fun – different than the “recipe” posts I usually do, kinda fun to show some random eats! and your pizza looked OOOH yum today!! XXO !

5 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete March 16, 2011 at 10:59 am

That juice looks delicious!

Today I’m had a big smoothie for breakfast, nuts/fruit for a snack and I’m enjoying a big Cobb Salad for lunch! I’m not sure what is planned for dinner!

6 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm

mmm, Cobb salad… I love those!! hope you’re having a great Wednesday, Holly!!

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 16, 2011 at 11:35 am

I LOVE basil’s little booties! gaaaah, I’m in love. :)

also, I have a question for you! how did you make your comment replies automatically get sent by e-mail? I’m trying to set mine do to the same, buuut I’m strugglin’.

8 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hi Alyssa!! I was just on your blog, and have to tell you it’s FUN!! :) I’m adding you to my reader…

so… the plug-in I use is called Comment Reply Notification. are you self hosted? (wordpress.ORG vs. wordpress.COM) that was one of the main things that I wanted when I made the jump to self hosting, because I LOVE the conversation… yep, I love to talk. and I want y’all to hear me! :D if you are with wordpress.COM, there is not much flexibility and those kind of things are not available – no plug-ins, etc.

hope that helps! :D

9 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

Ohhh, those booties. Too cute.

Guava flavor is the BEST! Love it.

10 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I love the guava!! today I have the Botanic Number 9… it’s good too… :)

11 Kristina @ life as kristina March 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’m starting to actually enjoy my beet juices and I put partial blame on you! I love that Basil will keep those booties on, Luca walks and funky and then sits down and stares at me until I take them off-he even had cute little ugg looking ones!

12 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm

woo hoo, I’ll take that blame! that’s awesome… if I only add ONE it doesn’t taste like DIRT, right?? I love the deep red color. Basil is still learning the socks, but he will walk… and YES he’s still HIGH – STEPPIN’ too!! :D XXO!

13 Monique March 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

hahaha love Basil’s cute little socks :) a close second are those pi pies… you’re so adorable! :)

14 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

hee – thanks, MM ! he’s still getting used to those socks… getting better, though. and Mmm, pie! those were fun.

15 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons March 16, 2011 at 12:19 pm

awwwwwwwwwwww thank you kristina!!!! and basil too!!!!! <3 you two rock my world =) thank you so so much for the bday wishes and for linking up your delish meals and JUICE to WIAW!!! =) love it!

16 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy BIRthday to YYOOOOUUUU !! <3 sorry it took me so DANG long to participate in WIAW… I will take the time to do it more, this was FUN! :D XXO! hope you are having the fabulous birthday you deserve, my friend!!

17 Ashley@TheHungryScholar March 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Um look who became super photographer while I was gone.

You eat healthier than me.

I want a pi pie. :(

18 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm

THANK YOU, Ashley!! I am learning my camera and it’s been fun… I so wish I could have sent you one of those Pi(e)s… Jason and I just ate the last one :) good to “see” you!!

19 Lisa March 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This morning (on vacation) I ate scrambled eggs, 1 slice of bacon and an english muffin. Then went for a long hike in Catalina Park (Tucson). Lunch was a ham sandwich. Dinner tonight will be authentic Southwestern food! YUM! Cannot wait.

Your food looks pretty tasty. And Basil’s feets are adorbs.

20 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm

so jealous… glad you’re having delicious eats and fun hikes! you missed a CRAAAAZZY thunder weirdness last night – it was ONE single thunder BOOM with this super long horizontal lightening bolt, to make the boom travel across the city. as you can imagine, Portlanders went CRAAAAZZY last night tweeting and blowin’ up about it!!
:D

enjoy your vacation, girl!!

21 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm

your kale chips look awesome!

i need to see christin’s recipe…yum!

Lunch was edamame egg salad on spinach pancakes = THAT PIC better get submitted to FG and TS b/c it WILL be accepted :)

22 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm

hey Averie! here is Christin’s basic kale chip recipe, plus a tomato-ey addition! –> PIZZAFIED KALE CHIPS

23 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Aaaaahhh, the socks! Oh my goodness, this is too cute! :D And do I see kale chips there? Drool.

24 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 8:07 pm

yeah you sure do! :D and heee!! don’t the socks just get ya every time!!?

25 lindsay March 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

so what are you going to make tomorrow? is it an all GREEN DAY!? hehe.

26 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 8:06 pm

EVERY DAY is green day around here, girl !! :D but… yeah, I might have a little somethin’ somethin’ up my greensleeves

27 The Teenage Taste March 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

All of your eats look delicious. I’m checking out the recipe for the spinach pancakes, edamame egg salad, and nutella hand pies right after I press “submit!” Mmmmm…

28 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm

thank you – let me know if you try some!

29 Lexi March 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’ve seen so many what I wear wednesdays I’m so glad to see someone do a what i eat wednesday. I love your blog.

30 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm

THANK YOU, Lexi !! :D

31 Jess@HealthyExposures March 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm

ahh, I WANT those kale chips; they look amazing!! As does the juice. Man; this is the second time I’ve seen a jar (er…glass…) of juice that’s just made me think “I need a juicer…”

32 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I love kale chips… these were pretty dang good… :) and I’ll take that as a juice compliment!! I have inspired several people to go out and get a juicer lately!! :D

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm

OMG those SOCKS hahaha Basil is the cutest dog ever. [Please don't tell my puppies that. They may hate me forever if they found out.]

34 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I won’t tell… and Basil says thank you <3

35 Christin@purplebirdblog March 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Awwwe, thanks for the link love, lady! You actually got the cheezy smoky kale chips found here http://www.purplebirdblog.com/2011/01/19/lemony-miso-tilapia-and-a-new-kale-chip/ which are my favorites, but the pizza chips are excellent too! xo

36 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I knew mine weren’t pizza, but… I had to search around a bit (ended up going with the nutritional yeast tag!)… you need a search bar on your bloggy, girlfriend!! :D

I’ll add this link too :) XXO!

37 Christin@purplebirdblog March 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I do have a search bar, silly! It’s hiding under the Facebook box on the right… perhaps I should make it more obvious. ;)

38 Dorry March 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Lots of yummy eats in this post! I want some of those kale chips, and you know I’ve been loving my Kombucha lately. I crave it nowadays – no denying it!

Side note: As a Texan who doesn’t eat beef, I can’t help but find the humor in the current Foodbuzz ads. Texans sure are proud of their cattle!

39 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I have had and made many kale chips in my day, and these are one of the best I’ve had. :) I’ve been having a kombucha a day lately too… Mmm.

…and I know, the foodbuzz ads are funny… I always kinda cringe when I’m visiting someone like Mama Pea and theres… meat. :)

40 Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com March 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Oh my sweet sweet Lord, I almost died when I saw that pic of Basil with booties! How precious is that?!
I love your eats today!!

41 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm

super cutie, huh?? :D he has problems on slick floors, so I found him socks with non skid rubber on the bottoms!

42 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 17, 2011 at 4:50 am

I love Basil’s little booties!!!! So, so, SO adorable! :)

43 spabettie March 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm

thank you!! isn’t he just the cutest thing???

44 Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses March 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

I would love to just come and have you feed me. Your food and Christin’s chips and Basil in the booties. :) Particularly feed me the egg edamame salad (neat idea!) and the nutella hand pie. Oh my word.

45 spabettie March 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm

okay!! that sounds fun, and since you included Basil (smart girl, you know how to get to me!!) I’ll have to say yes!! :D

46 Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Agreed! Christin makes the BEST kale chips! I actually didn’t like them until I tried hers!

Mmm, that guava goddess is next on my list! I just tried the strawberry flavor last week and loved it (first kombucha out of 5 that I thought to be palatable…it definitely is an acquired taste!)

47 spabettie March 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm

if you like the strawberry I think you’ll like the guava goddess – it’s one of my favorites…

48 S @ extremebalance.net/blog March 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I *could* eat Basil, he’s so darned cute in those socks… :)

49 spabettie March 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm

isn’t he?? sweetie, that pup is. :D