figgy goodness

in baking,Dessert,Gluten Free,snacks,Vegan

My friend Lindsay is currently writing about Spring Cleaning – Body, Mind and Soul (Part One and Part Two). Many great things to focus on, and I encourage you to read her posts!

Part Two focuses on cleansing foods, and believe it – she included a fabulous brownie recipe.

I knew I had to make them right away. :D

To me it seems normal, but to many, there might be a couple interesting ingredients. I’ll give you one:

Figs!

These really are some of the most chewy and delicious brownies I have had… and they are good for you!

Go visit Lindsay for this super easy and tasty recipe… like she says, your gut will thank you!

1 megan @ the oatmeal diaries March 23, 2011 at 2:21 am

Ahh such beautiful photos! I just posted about how much I LOVE figgies! :)

2 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:37 am

thank you!! I’m going to have to go read that post now, I think figs are my newest obsession…

3 lindsay March 23, 2011 at 4:21 am

oh goodness, your brownie looks amazing! CHEWY GOODNESS for the GUT!
in words of Kristina……Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

4 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:36 am

aw, yay! and *weeeee!! I love it! and these, I love these!! and a big YES to the last question of the day – Jason LOVED them too!! he’s getting so used to me that he didn’t even flinch or raise an eyebrow, NOTHING, when I told him what was in them! :D

5 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 23, 2011 at 5:22 am

Sweet figs! Yum!

6 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:34 am

I know, I think Lindsay has created a new obsession over here… I already have another recipe kickin’ around in my head…

7 Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketchfreevegan March 23, 2011 at 5:25 am

Wow! These look amazing!

We just started a health food photo sharing website and would love it if you submitted some photos!

8 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:33 am

thanks again – and done! :)

9 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 23, 2011 at 5:36 am

I want to make those too. I have everything but the brownie mix darn it.

10 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:32 am

oh, go!! go get some today! :D I think you’ll really like them!

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 23, 2011 at 6:22 am

That is such an interesting recipe! They look great — and I love the pic of the figs. How cute :)

12 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:31 am

thanks, Holly – I thought that was a fun one, too! :) the brownies are SO delicious!

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2011 at 6:44 am

I’m so on the fence with this one. I feel like if I want a brownie, I’m gonna go hard or go home… (I’m not a fan of cakey brownies). I’m not sure if these babies will satisfy my sweet tooth enough! ;) thoughts?

14 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:29 am

I understand… BUT! these aren’t cakey, they are dense and chewy! they do have sweetness from the figs and from the gf brownie mix, so there is chocolate flavor too… I doubled Lindsay’s recipe, but hers is for a pretty small amount, I would say give it a try and you will probably be (pleasantly) surprised! :D they really are phenomenal…

15 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 23, 2011 at 6:55 am

Lindsay is so good at what she does and how she writes! She is truly inspirational. These look perfect!

16 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 7:27 am

I agree, Sarena – Lindsay is a daily inspiration!! as well as a brownie genius!! :D

17 Dorry March 23, 2011 at 7:50 am

This was a total creative genius on Lindsay’s part! And I love dried figs. I’d be SET if y’all could just be my personal chefs. Remember, I’ll be your avocado masher. :)

18 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 11:26 am

DorryBird, you are awesome. I just love you so. <3

19 S @ extremebalance.net/blog March 23, 2011 at 7:59 am

Figs are so surprisingly fabulous—I say “surprisingly” because I always thought they were basically like big raisins and so, ho-hum! And then… I got into making fig butter and scones. I’m converted. :) It *is* a stroke of genius on Lindsay’s part to have come up with this one!

20 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

oh, fig butter! I am intrigued. HOW does that happen?

21 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 23, 2011 at 8:48 am

Whee, they look perfect! I have to make them for my dad because he *so much* loves figs! :D

22 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

oh, then you MUST! they are so SO good. figs are my new obsession.

23 (what runs) Lori March 23, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oh damn! You beat me to the recipe. Yum! And the fig photo- pretty. :)
That Cotter- genius. Glad you made them… I’m up tonight!

24 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm

girl – you are going to *LOVE* them. and seriously? just go ahead and double the recipe. ;)

25 Sara @ Running In Pink Project March 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Just stumbled upon your blog. Really enjoying it and wanted to just say hello! :) Those brownies look amazing. The next weekend I spend in town I may have to make them!

26 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Hi Sara!! thanks for saying hello! I hope you DO make them – they are very good! :D Have a great day!!

27 (what runs) Lori March 23, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Sorry- one more comment- did you sub any ingredients at all?

28 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I used the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix, and I made them without nut butter. I was planning to use it, but while making the recipe I was tasting it, and it was VERY tasty without! I’m sure I’ll make them with nut butter sometime, because that sounds great too…

oh, and I doubled it;)

29 Lisa March 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I SO have my eye on those brownies. I’ve been drooling ever since Lindsay posted them :)

30 Reeni March 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I have a whole bag of figs I need to use up! These look delectable!

31 spabettie March 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

oh, you should use them for this – you will be pleased!!