maca power shake

in daily smoothie,Second Breakfast

Like my daily juices, I sometimes try to shake it up with my smoothies and shakes, as far as unique and fresh flavor combinations. This was a definite win.

This is also my first time using hazelnut milk, and I am loving it!

I recently ordered more hemp seeds – I forgot how much I love them! I’ve been eating so many salads lately, and hemp seeds are a great topper for those. They are also a perfect smoothie topper.

maca power shake

serves two

10-12 fresh strawberries
1 frozen banana
1 packet vanilla protein powder
1 1/2 cups hazelnut milk
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons maca
2 tablespoons hemp seeds (plus 1 tablespoon as garnish)

Blend all ingredients and serve – garnish with hemp seeds.

This is definitely satisfying and filling, but also light and fresh at the same time – like springtime! I’m eagerly awaiting spring weather – we are at the point where it’s still light at 7:15-7:30 at night, and later this week the temperatures will be in the 60′s!

weeee!

Do you use a non-dairy milk product? What is your favorite?

Do you use hemp seeds or hemp products?

1 Miz March 28, 2011 at 3:14 am

OOOH
Ive never ever hemp seeded!!

2 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

you should! *BIG* energy!!

3 lindsay March 28, 2011 at 4:02 am

hazelnut is so inviting, the smell just makes me cozy and I bet that combined with strawberries smells like spring. Lovely as always kristina.

4 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

thanks, Lindsay! and YES – hazelnut = COZY!

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 28, 2011 at 4:29 am

We use almond milk and if it is super cheap, I’ll get soy milk. I prefer the taste of the almond milk though!

Hazelnut milk sounds so delicious! And those bananas in the background are just screaming to be made into banana bread :)

6 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm

yes… they might just be destined for that… if I don’t make them into fritters first!! :D

7 Ally (oatsandspice) March 28, 2011 at 4:33 am

Anything hazelnut is totally right up my alley! This shake looks delicious – I have to get maca poweder before I make it :)

8 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

let me know how you like it, Ally!

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 28, 2011 at 4:58 am

I love almond milk for most things and coconut for some. I am a huge fan of hemp seeds and I really like hemp protein powders…I mix them with cocoa powder and a little stevia for hemp fudge. The smoothie looks delicious. I am so in need of Spring!

10 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm

oooh, hemp fudge! I must try this! Spring!! can’t wait for Spring!!

11 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 28, 2011 at 5:11 am

I’ve never tried hazelnut milk so far, but I love almond milk! Did you buy it at a store? It’s very hard to get nut milks at a store in Germany, so I use to make them myself. Almond mik is my favorite because it’s so versatile, and I’ve also made walnut and sesame milk, but almond I like better. I’ve never tried hemp seeds, either, I don’t even know if I can buy them here.

12 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm

one of these days I need to send you a care package… :) hazelnut milk is SO good… rich. yes, I bought it, I have never tried to make a nut milk… I should. I just said up there a few comments ago that almond milk is my favorite for its versatility! :D I’m not a fan of walnuts, but sesame milk sounds great too!

13 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’ll try hazelnut then! :D And you should *definitely* consider to try making nut milk yourself! It’s so easy – you just have to soak nuts in water for a few hours or overnight, put them into the blender with fresh water (I use 1 part nuts and 4 or 5 parts water), blend, and filter. VoilĂ ! :D

14 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I will then, SOON! I am always soaking anyway… hmm… cashew milk?? I’ll let you know what I do… and THANKS!

15 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 28, 2011 at 5:55 am

I’ve never tried maca. I typically use almond milk. And I’m loving your pictures by the way. Glad to hear you guys have some good weather coming your way!

16 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

thanks, Heather! I’m trying new things with my photography lately… and I SO cannot wait for the 60′s!! weee!

17 Evan Thomas March 28, 2011 at 6:37 am

I love hemp seeds. They taste like a cross between vanilla and almond to me. Soo good!

18 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

yes, I can see that – they taste very “creamy” to me. I hate that word, but it’s effective here.

19 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 28, 2011 at 7:17 am

I’ve never seen hazelnut milk before, I suppose it would be easy to make!

Macca is SO good. Sometimes I put it on my popcorn!!

Have a great Monday chicky, and let me know when you want to send the packages, yours is pretty much all ready!

20 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm

yes – probably just like other nut milk… it is SO good! maca by itself on popcorn? interesting flavor, I bet!

and YES –> I sent you an email today!! :D

21 Biz March 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

My daughter and I loved vanilla hemp milk – we had it at a health food store when we were on vacation.

I came home and the only store that carried it would only sell it to us by the CASE! We ordered a case of it, but it was pretty $$. That was a couple years ago, I should see if I can find it again.

22 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I’m pretty sure you can find it more readily now, and (hopefully!) single cartons! I would buy a whole case if I had to, though…

23 Stephanie @My Thorns Have Roses March 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

Ryan is really into the hemp products. I use almond milk and coconut milk daily. This drink sounds very refreshing!

24 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm

it was refreshing – as much as a smoothie can be, I suppose! :) almond and coconut are my favorites… almond is so versatile it’ll always be my #1.

25 Dorry March 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m an almond milk girl, but I’d love to try hazelnut milk – sounds so good! I ate a greenish banana the other day and thought of you. :)

26 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:41 pm

aw! love my green(ish) bananas! hazelnut is really good…

27 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 28, 2011 at 11:21 am

Almond milk FTW and I love hemp! I use the seeds on salads, oil as a dip with herbs and powder in my smoothies every single morning.

28 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm

go hemp!! :) good stuff… I love the seeds on salads! Tempt used to have a chocolate chili powder – it was SO good!

29 (what runs) Lori March 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yum. yum yum yum! I love maca and use it every day. I, too love hemp seeds!

Your photos are amazing. As always.

30 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm

thank you, Lori!! :) I use maca every time I make a smoothie… what else have you used it for?

31 (what runs) Lori March 29, 2011 at 11:24 am

Yum to maca! I use it in baked items or when I make raw bars and such… so good!
But smoothies are easiest.

32 Monique March 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Thanks, now I’m going to have to run to every store in attempt to find hazelnut milk!!!! :) haha.

I love Silk’s coconut milk. It’s so gooooood. Especially in smoothies!

33 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm

ha! I found it with all the others, in the non refrigerated section… :) oh, I LOVE Silk’s coconut milk and their almond milk too!

34 Shirley @ gfe March 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I love almond milk and coconut milk, but for different reasons and recipes. This power shake looks awesome! I know I would love hazelnut milk. Must look for that in the upscale scores! ;-)

Shirley

35 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:35 pm

hi Shirley!! *SO* good to see you here again… :) you know, I didn’t even know it was around – my friend recommended it the other day, and I looked when I was shopping – it’s right there with all the other milks in the regular store!!

36 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) March 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hazelnut milk sounds delicious! I actually JUST tried almond milk for the first time recently… I’m so very behind, I know. :)

37 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

oh, SO behind!! :D did you like it?

38 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) March 29, 2011 at 2:42 am

I did – definitely more watery than regular milk, but I could get used to it!

39 Kristina March 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I want to try Hazel nut milk!!!!! You got me stuck on juices-now are you going to take me back to smoothies? ha.

40 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

haaa… yep! alternate them every other day – it’ll be like I’m there! :D

41 Lisa March 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm

That looks amazing! I love hemp, but don’t put it on smoothies. Now I’ll start rotating it in with the chia :)

My fave milk is coconut, but I’m a big fan of almond and other nut milks. I’ve never had brazil nut milk.

42 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I love coconut milk too, and second is almond… but my friend was telling me how great hazelnut is, so I hunted it down (it was right there with all the others, I just never looked for it!) :D

43 rebecca lustig March 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm

hi! I’m a new reader and just wanted to drop by and “say” hi! I love your adoration and talent for wholesome foods made fun and delicous. Can’t wait to read more! have a great night

Becca

44 spabettie March 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

hi Becca! thanks for saying hello – your name looks familiar, so I looked you up and found we have many twitter friends in common. I think I have probably seen your name in comments on blogs? :D Thanks for reading – I hope you find more enjoyable!

45 rebecca lustig March 29, 2011 at 6:08 am

ah, yes, probably! maybe from my blog as well! :)

46 Charissa March 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ooh, have to make this! I bookmarked you on my Delicious! Thanks so much for sharing…looking forward to making it!

47 spabettie March 29, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Hi Charissa! thanks for saving my on delicious – I love that site! my google reader keeps getting bigger and bigger, but I still go visit delicious sometimes… I hope you make this and LOVE it!!