tropical cure all

in daily smoothie,Second Breakfast,Smoothie

I have been having headaches again – this one has been four days now. Thursday and Friday all day, then I woke up with it Saturday, but it was very mild. We went downtown that morning for the movie, and went to my favorite coffee shop first. I think the caffeine helped, while Jason thinks we are allergic to our house (he suffers from headaches also). So Saturday I had a reprieve, yesterday it was back and again today.

Today I am starting FRESH. Today I am focusing on simple foods – first my juice this morning and now this smoothie.

tropical cure all smoothie

serves one

1 small container (11.2 oz) coconut water
1/3 cup fresh pineapple chunks
4 handfuls fresh spinach
1 banana

Blend, blend, blend!

What are your cures for headache relief? I am currently on allergy medication, magnesium, biofreeze on my head (very soothing!) and now, a lot hydration and whole foods.

more smoothies:

tropical mango orange smoothie

tropical mango orange smoothie

candy bar smoothie

candy bar smoothie

spiced kabocha smoothie

spiced maple kabocha smoothie

raspberry-chia cream smoothie

raspberry chia cream smoothie

1 lindsay April 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

oh yes, the tropical flavor! I love that you made it a theme. Its quite delicious. No more fishy oil capsules!
Cheers Kristina.
LC

2 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

it is SO good – thanks for another great recommendation, Lindsay!

3 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Oh headaches are the worst. I get them too… all the time. I wish I had a suggestion. :(

Feel better

4 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm

thank you, Jessica! sorry you know my pain ;)

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Oh I’m sorry to hear about the headaches. I get migraines from time-to-time and used to live on Advil when I was at my other job. I pretty much started each day with 4 advil and quite often ended up with migraines on a weekly basis. After I left the job, I only got the migraines occasionally and very rarely need advil.

The building I worked in was really old and I don’t even want to think about the mold. So maybe part of it was that and then mostly stress.

So unless you’re stressed out, then I’d say allergies perhaps. It’s so hard to say though.

6 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm

YES! I hate to think of mold, but Oregon is an easy place for that to happen, new or old building… I spent an afternoon a couple weeks ago wiping down all the window sills and doorjambs that looked like they had something… while we love our house for MANY reasons, there are some interesting attributes too, weird and old heating system, etc. I think it’s just a mix of house, tension and seasonal allergies. I’ll combat all of them!

7 Lisa April 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I had a headache all weekend, too. Maybe it is seasonal?

8 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

that is one of my theories, both Jason and I suffer from allergies this time of year. we are taking the good stuff that we had to drive to Vancouver for (you know, lovely Oregon being the meth mecca that it is, ruins the pharmaceutical availability for the rest of us!) and even when taking the allergy meds I still have headaches. BOO. I spent an afternoon the other day wiping down all window sills, doors, etc, where it looked like mold was happening. another lovely Oregon attribute, and I think especially in our area, being right next to a big lake and the river going THROUGH our yard…

9 Lisa April 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Mold does me in too.

10 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm

GAAH! scary too.

11 Lisa April 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Ah, headaches. It sounds like you’re doing everything I would try. There’s gotta be something you can do. What about trying a massage–they could probably tell you if you have tension issues?

The coromega looks good…I checked out the description on their website briefly, and the only thing I would have against it is that it doesn’t appear to have DHA and EPA. Omega-3s are awesome, but not the entire picture…

Hope you get some relief quickly!

12 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I am going to try a massage – I have not had one in a bit and I do feel some neck / shoulder tension.

I know, I agree with the DHA / EPA. one of my naturopaths once told me to alternate and not take them consistently (like every other bottle get the one with EPA) so I will still be using my traditional omegas also.

thank you – I hope I do too!

13 spabettie May 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

Lisa – this does have both DHA and EPA – 230mg of DHA and 350mg of EPA. (I was reading the supplement facts on the box this morning…)

just wanted to let you know!

14 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

The coromega stuff sounds great. I hate the fishy flavor so many fish oil supplements have. So gross!!

Do you open the windows in your house at all? Fresh air might help the headaches??? I hope you find relief soon!

15 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm

yes – something you just put up with, right? this has ZERO fishy flavor AND tastes great. I opened the windows earlier, and I am about to go out for a walk… I think that may have been part of why Saturday’s headache never really materialized and then went away altogether – we were outside much of the day. THANK YOU!

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

That drink sounds so refreshing! Sorry about your headache — what usually helps me is sleep, hot baths, lots of water/fluids and sex!

17 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

ALL GREAT IDEAS, Holly! :D

18 Elizabeth April 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m always looking for an alternative to fishy-fish oil– may have to check out Coromega. Thanks for the tip! As for headaches, I that find a few dabs of peppermint oil on my temples and wrists helps (or I straight sniff it from the bottle). Origins makes a great product called Peace of Mind that has a similar effect (less messy, too). I keep a small bottle at my desk and in my handbag. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

19 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I *LOVE* Origins Peace of Mind! :) I have been using it for years, and like you, have a couple bottles stashed in prime locations! and for years I’ve been enduring the fishy flavor of ALL fish oils – so I was extremely excited for this – it really tastes great!

20 Tracy @ Commit To Fit April 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I just got a sample of Coromega and am definitely going to try it in this smoothie. Thanks for sharing!

21 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm

it’s VERY good!! if you only have one sample packet, taste a little before adding it to the smoothie, just to see how AWESOME the flavor is alone!! :D then enjoy the smoothie!

22 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I hope your head feels better. Tony used to get migraines all the time and I always felt so helpless since I couldn’t do anything to help him. I bet he’d like that Coromega.

23 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

it’s good stuff! :) I feel for Tony – I have migraines too, although I do not think that is what’s going on now. sometimes the migraines are so bad I cannot even stand, and other times there is no pain, I just lose peripheral vision or my fingertips go numb – YIKES! you say Tony “used to” – was it stress, do you know, and he doesn’t really get them now? (I hope that is the case, that he doesn’t have them anymore!) :) hope you all are having a Happy Monday!

24 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm

He still gets them from time to time, but I think celiac is the cause of them in the past. Since he’s gone off of gluten, he doesn’t get them nearly as bad any more. I know stress is a huge part of it now, but he’s a coffee addict so I think that adds to it. He lives with me lady…I’m sure I am a huge part of it and the two boys! Just kidding, life is pretty stressful for him at this point due to his career, so now he gets more headaches and less migraines. I hope you figure out what is causing the problem for you. Headaches just suck…to say the least.

25 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm

yeah, headaches can really be debilitating! today is better, only a VERY mild one. I’m still drinking a lot of water and taking Vitamin B… about to get back out in the fresh air (thank goodness for laptops!). good to hear Tony suffers less headaches now… I think a LITTLE coffee can help headaches :)

26 Dorry April 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I use Coromega now, too! All thanks to Lindsay. :) And my sister even ordered some as well. They should hire her!

27 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm

isn’t it tastypants?? ;)

28 Dorry April 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm

It IS so tastypants. I really enjoy it, and feel so much happier than taking a big, nasty fish oil pill that probably never absorbed into my system anyway! Fabulous Cotter discovery.

29 Dorry April 25, 2011 at 7:40 pm

p.s. Got so excited about the Coromega earlier, I forgot to say sorry for your crappy headaches. I hope they are subsiding!

30 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm

thanks Dorry! :)

31 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I feel with you! I’ve lived with headache for most of my life, and it didn’t get any better until I got all my wisdom teeth drawn. (Eek.) Now I still have it every now and then, but not 24/7 anymore. Drinking a lot of water helps. Fresh air. Relaxation. Vitamins.

Get better soon!

32 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I lost my wisdom (teeth!) long ago, and although I have terrible luck with teeth no matter HOW many times I brush (I even thought I OVER BRUSH if that is possible), I don’t think teeth are the problem this time? I am drinking SO much today, both plain water and coconut water (on my third container of coconut water and lost count of regular) and Basil and I *hello Kath!! wag wag wag* went on a walk earlier… I think both have helped reduce the headache today, although not completely. I will snag Jason for another walk as soon as he gets home – there have been intermittent rains today but also blue skies and sun. :D I am working in the kitchen all afternoon (with breaks to write to you!) and I have the kitchen window open… while it is COLD, it is lovely!

33 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Oh, then I really have no idea! I’m so sorry, living with chronic pain is the worst. :( And I don’t want that it occurs to someone I like so much. :( :( :(

34 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm

aw… thank you dear! <3

35 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm

and by “lost” I of course mean viciously yanked out of my head!! :D

36 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hahaha, I remember my wisdom teeth extraction too well, I totally know what you mean! :D

37 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm

hee… after I read that I wrote “lost” I thought it was a peculiar thing to say… I’m sure people WISH their wisdom teeth would just “fall out” like primary teeth do! :)

38 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Oh yeah … But they don’t. :D

39 Amanda April 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi! I found your blog recently (through Bonzai Aphrodite) and I love it! I’m curious about the green juicing because I’ve never tried it before. Can you tasted the spinach at all once it’s mixed in with the fruit??

40 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm

not at all! :) even with just a banana blended in, the banana is the stronger flavor. if you’re skeptical, try it first with a small amount of spinach, and some berries that have a strong flavor (berries will make it a purple brown, so… not as vibrant and pretty, but DELICIOUS all the same!). let me know how it goes if you try it, and thank you for the blog love, Amanda! cheers!

41 Amanda April 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tips!! Do you think it would work with spinach that is just a little old (as in, not complete slimy yet, but kind of getting there)? If so it would be a great way for me to use up large amounts of spinach when, for whatever reason, I haven’t used some that’s getting a little old.

42 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I do this all the time (as long as it is not slimy – those I pick out!) and yes it is fine! I’m excited for you to try this! :D

43 Amanda April 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

So sorry about the headache! I get ones that last from time to time and they are the worst!

Try icing your neck, it helps me! Warm bubble baths and lots of water helps too. Feel better!

44 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I think the biofreeze is my version of icing my neck! I put it on my forehead, temples and neck and it does help much of the time. I love a warm bath too… my mom showed me years ago to just put your FEET only in really hot water – as hot as you can stand – and it should help headaches (all the blood goes to your feet!) :D

45 Aimee April 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Yummy! And that color! Wow! :)

46 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm

pretty pretty, huh? :D

47 Dinner at Christina's April 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm

The only thing I can suggest is every day, regular use of Amazing Grass. It got rid of my headaches! If I do get one, I always rely on Goody’s Headache Powders, no other pain med helps me. I’ll take a powder, lay in a dimmed room on a firm pillow (like temperpedic) with a heating pad under the back of my head, neck, shoulder area and a cool cloth over my forehead. I try to let everything escape out of my brain, all thoughts drift away, and focus on my breathing. I usually fall asleep that way and wake up headache free!

48 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I will give the AG a try – I drink it a lot, but not regularly. and I LOVE Goody’s Headache Powders!! I used them in college – need to look for those again! Thanks, Christina, I appreciate your suggestions! <3

49 Pure2raw twins April 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

ummm I need to try this…always hate fish burps, one reason I stopped taking fish oil pills

50 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm

EXACTLY ! the “fish burps” are the worst! glad I’m not the only one though… ;)

51 Jess@HealthyExposures April 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Looks like you’ve had a lot of good suggestions re: headaches already. I hope it’s something like seasonal allergies and not mold or anything in your home! Have you had it tested for mold? Although something like that would probably be more consistent, and not sporadic. Great thought on the massage, too. And hey, even if it doesn’t help the headache I bet it’d still do you some good :] I used to get theeee worst headaches from not drinking enough! I’m quite the opposite now.
Keep us posted!

52 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I just learned there is a home mold test… we may think about it. (but ew! I’m scared of the result, although it’s nothing to mess around with so we better do it!). many people have said it could be dehydration – I feel like I drink enough, but I deliberately drank A LOT yesterday, and added Vitamin B… doing much better today! THANK YOU !

53 Shirley @ gfe April 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Kristina, you’re completely gluten free, right? Gluten can be the cause of headaches for many people. Even a little bit can keep them going or getting a bit more on occasion can bring the headaches back. Do you know Iris (The Daily Dietribe)? She’s been getting headache relief from being on a low amine diet (I think I got that right). I’m sure she would share her experience with you.

Hope you feel better soon, dear! xo,
Shirley

54 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm

hi Shirley, I am almost completely gluten free, and in the past week or two yes, it’s been 100%. the reason I am gluten free isn’t because of a diagnosis but EXACTLY for these reasons – gluten makes me feel congested and achey, and I know I am much better without it.

Thank you for letting me know about Iris – I will go look her up now! I truly believe improvements to diet really can have huge benefits in daily well being!

thank you friend! XXO

55 Iris September 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I realize this is a super late reply, but I just saw this and figured I’d add my two cents in. Amines can be the cause of headaches and migraines (although of course it could be any number of things), and spinach, bananas, and pineapples are all really high in amines. I can’t even eat bananas at this point. :( If you haven’t already, it might be worth a try to eat low-amine for a week (I usually see relief within 3 days of being strict) and see if you notice a difference.

Here’s the list I follow: http://www.kitchentablemedicine.com/foods-containing-amines/

56 spabettie September 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

thanks, Iris – this is good info, and something I had NOT heard before. I don’t eat a lot of bananas or pineapple, but spinach is a HUGE staple in my diet. my headaches have greatly subsided, but I still get the occasional minor one. I will definitely keep this in mind. I would be so sad to lose my spinach though.

THANK YOU!!

57 mitzi @ my nikon eats food April 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm

oh no, a 4 day headache!! that sounds awful :( i hate headaches!! hope you feel better soon!

58 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm

thank you, Mitzi! much better today! :D

59 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm

“No Fishie. No kidding!” bahahaha
I hope your headache improves… generally when I have a headache it’s because I haven’t drank enough water, or that I’m deficient in Vitamin B. There are so many reasons why you could have a headache, I think an awesome place to start is where you’re at right now. Eating as clean as possible should help!

60 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm

thanks, Leanne! I drank a lot of water yesterday (I feel like I always do, but I was deliberately drinking more…) and I made sure to take my Vitamin B this morning! so far so good… I’ve been out in the fresh air too, and I think it helps.

61 hihorosie April 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm

bummer about the headaches. ;( I’m of no help in that dept but hopefully you got some good cures from others. Your smoothie certainly looks like it would help. I need one of those for my cold. Anyway, hope you’re on the mend and headache free soon!

Ugh, fish oil. So gross. I’m currently taking nutravege – a veggie omega-3. Flavor is alright. Going to try it in my smoothies. Good idea!

Love your juices from your prev. post. So lovely! Colorful juices are so more appealing to drink sometimes. ;)

62 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:13 pm

colorful juices are ALWAYS more appealing to drink – although I drink the brown ones often too ;) I just looked up the nutravege – looks interesting! what is the flavor? thanks for the good thoughts on the headaches… so far so good today, only a mild one :)

63 hihorosie April 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

oh yes, the brown ones…I drink those too but avoid taking pics of them! hee hee!

Glad the headache is only “mild” today…hope it’s NADA tomorrow. ;) I’ll keep sending good thoughts since they seem to be working.

I won the nutravege from Bitt’s blog and the flavor I got is citrus. It’s not bad really but there is something familiar about it (dentist maybe?). I think i will still try using it in a smoothie where it most likely won’t be noticed.

64 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm

yeah, no photos of the brown juice. ;) thank you for your continued good thoughts, sweet friend!

65 art April 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Have the headaches increased since you spend more time at the house? Have you had any remodeling done? I ask coz new material gives off gasses.

66 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:10 pm

hi Dad!! no remodeling – I was out in the fresh air more yesterday, and drank a lot of water… it helped a lot! see you Sunday?

67 Christin@purplebirdblog April 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I’m sorry about your headache woes, my dear!! I’ve been battling some myself… Spring is in the air and it can suck it! ;)

68 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

yep! we have some good allergy medication, but… well, perhaps it isn’t that good! :( feeling better today – lots of water and coconut water and Vitamin B!! :)

69 Heather @ kissmybroccoli May 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Wow, an omega supplement that tastes good? Inconceivable! (ha, couldn’t resist!) All the ones I’ve ever tried had a nasty fishie aftertaste! Mmm, how doesn’t like a berry flavored chewy with a hint of fish market on the side?

Kinda confused about the 300% thing…how is it possible to absorb more than 100%?

70 spabettie May 3, 2011 at 9:03 am

hee! it really is… they taste AWESOME. hint of fish market – HAAA! so true – and even if you can’t taste it right away? you’ve got Fish Burps all day! :D

yeah… the 300% absorption – um, Lindsay said it and it sounded COOL? ;) when I bought these I remember reading their “bioavailablity study” and it was extensive and impressive. like this is the next best thing to a Vitamin IV (which I love…).

71 Sandy October 31, 2011 at 9:54 am

I will remember this for the inevitable winter colds that are sure to come. this sounds yummy!

72 Samantha February 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

My neurologist had me on 200 mgs twice a day of magnesium and 200 mgs teice a day of b2