great reads

in Books

what do two nerds do when they go on a long road trip? listen to iPod books!

one we are currently listening to:

Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else – Geoff Colvin. This has been fun to listen to and talk about as we drive – it is profoundly inspiring and motivating.

and the one I am (re) reading:

The Goal – Dr. Eliyahu M. Goldratt

This fantastically interesting book covers Eli Goldratt’s business management philosophy, the Theory of Constraints. There is always at least one constraint standing in the way of achieving goals, and identifying and solving them leads to success. Sometimes there are many constraints, and when one is addressed another will appear. I can relate in a business sense and the book grabs your attention with appealing story line, but the theories translate to any part of life.

I highly recommend both!

What are you currently reading?

1 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 19, 2011 at 4:42 am

Kevin and I do the same thing! We went to Saskatchewan 2 summers ago for 2 weeks. We went through 3 or 4 books that we loaded up to our iPod beforehand.
Sad thing? I haven’t read a book since…. August (last time I was on vacation). I’m winding a lot of things down in my life and reading is top on the list to add back!
The Goal sounds really good. I think I’ll recommend it to Kevin, he’s into those types of books, maybe he’s even listened to it!

2 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm

oh no, I’m sorry you haven’t had any pleasure reading lately! it happens, even to me, and I am one of those who usually has at least two books going and can sit and read one in a weekend sometimes… but yes, I’ve had times where no reading is happening. and yes – I definitely recommend EITHER of these books! :D

3 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka May 19, 2011 at 5:01 am

Ohh a mustang—you all are ballers!

I love reading but I’ve never done the books on tape thing. I’m not sure if I would love or hate it but should give it a try one of these days! I am currently reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I love it! It’s a perfect page turning read for the beach and pool, hope you have a safe trip!

4 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm

WEEEE ! the mustang was SO fun! we rented a convertible for the trip, and now I want one! :D um, maybe I shouldn’t though, since I did get a speeding ticket DANG! I still have not read any of those books – I need to put them on my list! I hope you are enjoying your time right now, Tiffany! be back soon to check in on blogs! XO!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 19, 2011 at 5:44 am

I’m reading the Friday Night Knitting Club right now. Nothing earth-shattering, just a nice read. Jason and I listen to audio books when traveling. It makes all the difference. In fact, next week we have to make a stop at the library to pick some up for our FL trip.

6 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I don’t know what you normally like to listen to together, but both of these are HIGHLY interesting and would provide good conversation! Jason and I had to keep pausing because we were talking about it!

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 19, 2011 at 5:51 am

Ok I need to get The Goal for Jason — that is a book he would LOVE!

I’m in between books — I just finished The Uglies and will start the next book in the series hopefully this weekend!

8 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 7:17 am

you should get it, then read it when he is done – it really is interesting for many perspectives. try to find the newer edition that includes case studies – that’s why I’m re reading, we had the first one without them.

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 19, 2011 at 6:53 am

We listen to books in the car too. We listen to educational stuff for the most part. The kids like it too. I’m not reading anything right now, but I am so ready for some lake time and reading this summer!

10 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Jason is really into downloading books, he listens to them a lot, where I prefer to read a physical book and listen to music in the car! :D this was a nice change for part of the trip, and we had some good conversation as a result! Summer lake time sounds GOOD ! I hope you’re doing good, Sarena! I missed you while I was unplugged on vacation! :D

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I’ve missed you too, but I’m so glad you took this time to hang out with Jason! We all need a break some times.

12 spabettie May 20, 2011 at 7:05 am

of course! and this was a much needed break for both of us!

13 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 19, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’m currently working on The Pillars of the Earth by Follett, but I have read The Goal. I think I finished it last year, but I enjoyed it as well!

14 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Jason’s mom was recommending Pillars the last time we were visiting them – I need to read that one! The Goal was great, wasn’t it?

15 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love audio books! I especially love them on days when I’ve already read a lot of theoretical stuff, and thus got a longing for stories while being tired of actual reading.

The first book you mention intrigues me a lot. I’m very interested in research on epertise, and I’m very sure “talent” isn’t more than 5 or 10 % … But it’s all in our heads, therefore it’s so mighty: If we *think* we’re talented, we’ll practice more in that area. But we believe we’re not, we won’t. But whether we get better (or not) mainly has to do with the fact that we actually practiced (or didn’t), we just ascribe it to our (lack of) “talent” … Ah, I could go on! :D

I wish I could read more atm, but I have some busy weeks. I’m happy if I manage to read other blogs. But it’ll get better again, and then I’ll finish “The Compassionate Samurai” which is about principles of honor and how to live them and be successful in modern times.

16 spabettie May 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Kath, I can tell you would LOVE Talent Is Overrated!! Jason and I kept having to pause it from talking too much!! we loved it – they talked about exactly this – how the successful people PRACTICE. a lot! I know you are going through one of those no time for reading times (we all do, sigh), and when you can you should read or listen to this one! I want to get the book so I can read it too!

17 assistantdoc May 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm

We love books on tape, cd, now ipod! They make road trips or even an evening in just snuggling on the couch with snacks awesome. Better than a move. It is a movie in your mind. Love them! A cute book I just finished was by Dr. Tony Youn, M.D. Called “In Stiches”. In it he recounts his life as a med student and what it was like to go through med school. Good book.

18 spabettie May 20, 2011 at 7:05 am

yes – there have been times when I’m sick and cannot read a book (headache, whatever…) and I’ll bundle up and listen to one… I love it! In Stitches sounds good – I’ll have to add it to my list! :)

19 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 20, 2011 at 4:32 am

Books on tape saved my life a few summers ago on a road trip by myself from Virginia to Wisconsin and back…Michael Pollan is entertaining on tape (acts/sounds just like he does in person), and I loved listening to Freakonomics, too.

I love food writing, and I just finished Spoon Fed, which was “eh” (she’s no Ruth Reichl…as she herself states), but I’ve JUST started The Butcher and the Vegetarian, which is a series of anecdotes chronicling a vegetarian woman’s flirtations with meat—after being told to consume some for health reasons—its a very interesting perspective on “should we or shouldn’t we?” with a good dose of humor. She doesn’t take herself to seriously (yet?)

20 spabettie May 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

we have the same taste in books – I love Freakonomics, and have you read SUPER Freakonomics? The Tipping Point and What the Dog Saw are good too. I recently finished ALL of Ruth Reichl’s books – LOVE them… and I have Spoon Fed and The Butcher and the Vegetarian in my stack – I am looking forward to them!! I’ll go in with that “she’s no Reichl” and be okay with it!! :) I love food writing too.

While I usually have 2 or 3 books going at one time, I usually stick to one fiction or more storytelling (like Reichl), so as soon as I finish American Wife (good too!) I’ll start those.