mango and onion quinoa salad

in Dinner,Gluten Free,Vegan

The weather is warm and the fresh summer flavors are here again!

We have already enjoyed this salad a couple times this season, a bright and colorful favorite that is flavorful and filling. My favorite salty marcona almonds with sweet mango and red onion blend perfectly. Each time I make this I am in bliss over the flavors!

Since this is made from many of my favorite ingredients, I wanted to share with one of my favorite bloggers – Kris Beal! She has a brand new makeover on her blog – it looks awesome – and she recently asked me to guest post. I always consider it a compliment to guest post on another blog, and in this case I was very excited to do so!

Kris is super fun – she makes me laugh with her stories, is very wise and inspirational, and a friend I know I could spend all day talking and laughing with.

Head on over to visit Kris and read my guest post!

What flavors make you think of summer?

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 16, 2011 at 6:27 am

Kris this salad looks sooo good! I love mango and edamame…I bet I would adore this (But i’d hold the onions just b/c I am that way…haha) :)

2 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 6:36 am

that’s okay, Averie, it’s plenty flavorful without the onion! :) Happy Thursday!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 16, 2011 at 6:33 am

Oh that looks incredible – so vibrant. Love the addition of the almonds for texture too. Thanks for sharing Kris’ blog link too. On my way there now.

4 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 6:36 am

Heather you will LOVE Kris! :) she is awesome fun.

5 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I’ve been trolling and we are now officially friends! I hope that’s ok ;) So nice to meet you! And yes…. almonds make everything gourmet, right?

6 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm

yay! two of my favorites, Heather, meet Kris! Kris, this is Heather! :D I get inspiration and energy from each of you!!

7 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 6:39 am

SOOOOOO beautiful! Kristina you are so kind and generous – and you ALWAYS make me smile…. Did you know I come over here for a moodbooster? Just trolling and clicking always makes me smile – thanks again! xoxox

8 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 6:58 am

I did NOT know that until I read it this morning – that makes me smile big and *wave wave wave* my hands in the air! thank YOU, dear friend! XXO!

9 Meg June 16, 2011 at 7:05 am

Oh my goodness this looks perfect for summer :)

Gonna go check out Kris’ makeover :D Thanks for sharing!

10 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 9:53 am

thank YOU, Meg!

11 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Seriously – sweet and spicy and protein and crunchy and… and… and… it’s is such a perfect dish for me (aka the one who used to cry in the kitchen). No more crying – unless I’m a-chopping-onions :D Nice to meet you!

12 Susan (Oliepants) June 16, 2011 at 7:16 am

Honestly the look is perfect for summer and it’s pretty much as if I can taste the freshness – which again is perfect for a hot day. I could eat this for lunch – no doubt!!

13 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 9:50 am

hi Susan! this is THE perfect salad for summer… we eat it a lot!

14 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Aren’t the pix amazing? For me the color and flavors are POPPING out of the computer screen! I’ve got all the makings and will give it a whorl – but I’ll leave the photography to dear Kristina :D

15 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 16, 2011 at 7:29 am

The salad looks and sounds amazing! I’m heading over to check out Kris’ blog now! Thanks for sharing!

16 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

you’re welcome – glad you’re going to visit, Kris is really fun, you will like her!

17 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love your name LOL I used to call myself the Dairy Queen when I was nursing… uh… a “few” years back. I digress… So nice to meet you! I’ll be trolling and clicking around your blog soon. Thanks!

18 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 16, 2011 at 7:48 am

This looks so fresh and delicious! Once again, you made an adorable plate of food :)

19 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

20 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 16, 2011 at 8:01 am

Ooooh the textures in this would be amazing!! :)

21 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 9:48 am

it is full of great texture and flavor… one of my favorites for summer…

22 cooking rookie June 16, 2011 at 10:09 am

Look at all these colors :-)

23 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

ART! #nuffsaid

24 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

PS I’m a cooking rookie too – YAY!

25 Dorry June 16, 2011 at 10:23 am

You know Billy and I love marcona almonds! We ate about 3 pounds last September/October traveling around Italy and Spain. I’d have to 86 the onions (can’t stand them!) but I know I’d enjoy this combo.

26 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I’ve never had a marcona almond – didn’t even know what they were! But I’m gonna discover them this weekend with this beauty :) mmmmmmm

27 Heather @ girlyeverafter June 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

Love the colors! I’ve been adding edamame to a lot of my spring/summer salads and it’s the perfect light meal on super hot days.

28 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Colors are UNBELIEVABLE! I’m new to edimame – gonna bust ‘em out this weekend with the mango – woot!

29 Joyce Cherrier June 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Looks so yummy! Love your fun recipes! And speaking of yummy & fun — I adore me some Kris too! I think you both are such treasures ( p.s. I’m often a lurker also ;)

30 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm

aw, Joyce! you are so sweet and hearing that makes me Smile Big! also, I think of you every time I do my ab work on my machine!! :D

31 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Awwww – no surprise you lurk around happy joyful places my friend! You KNOW we adore you too! hugs!

32 Joyce Cherrier June 16, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Oh yay!!! :D

33 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Aww, this is soooooooooo pretty! :D And now I need to confess something: I bought a bag of quinoa the other day. Yes, the last time I tried it, I found it terrible, but perhaps I didn’t scrub it enough before cooking? It was so bitter, and if this bitterness was due to my lack of scrubbing, I couldn’t live with the thought I hadn’t given it a second chance. :)

34 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Kath, I hope that is it… generally I put the dry quinoa into my mesh strainer and set it to rinse under the faucet, just letting it run (warm water, then cold) for at least a few minutes. some brands / types may need more? I have heard people actually soak their quinoa for a bit before cooking – perhaps try this? soak for a bit, then also rinse?

I hope that works, quinoa is not meant to be bitter, but can be if not scrubbed enough :)

hope all is great, my friend – Basil wags and wiggles hello!

35 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

*wiggle wiggle* (Imagine I just used my ears or so. ;))

I’ll let you know about the quinoa as soon as I’ve tried! I’ll definitely do the soaking and washing!

36 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Ooooooh – very good to know! This is SOOOOOO much better than the cooking channel ;)

37 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Hehehe! Even better than this one?

:D

38 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog June 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Ooh! I’ve had something similar, only minus the quinoa and served as a mango salsa on tofu. YUM. Looks great!

39 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Note to self: rediscover tofu.
#justsayin

40 Angela June 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love how we both blogged about quinoa-bean salads today! But honestly, that’s such a good base to start from… all that protein. Yum! I like how you added almonds too for a bit of crunch and even more nutrition. Will be making this when the mangoes are back in season!

41 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Oh my! Great minds, eh? I must go check it out – I sooooooo love learning what the “real” cooking experts are doing **I dream someday of getting better in the kitchen**

42 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

yes, the almonds are a perfect crunch and great flavor… oh, and that nutrition thing too ;)

43 Christin@purplebirdblog June 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

So what’s the deal with the marcona almonds? I’ve been hearing about them but I’ve never had them… tell me why they are so awesome! :D

44 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Mmm, so awesome are marcona almonds. (so much so, they make me talk like Yoda in my head??) Marcona almonds are Spanish almonds, just a different type and they are salty and delicious.

45 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm

YES! Tell us!

46 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 16, 2011 at 7:26 pm

oooh yes a good summer combo fo. sho. I dont like cutting mangos — come slice mine? Kthx!

47 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm

haa… oh, Jenn, I’m not good at it either! I’ve been eating many mangoes lately, so I am getting better… and this one was a small pit or something, it was easy! :)

48 sophia June 16, 2011 at 7:50 pm

This can also be a Christmas dish because of that lovely colors. :-)

Grape tomatoes and zucchini makes me think of summer!

49 Sayward June 16, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Lord, that’s lovely photography! Also, Marcona almonds, wow, I bet this tastes divine. Bookmarked!

50 spabettie June 17, 2011 at 6:57 am

thank you, Sayward… this really is one of our favorites, the flavors go well together and yep, those almonds… :D

Happy Friday to you all!

51 Sayward June 17, 2011 at 8:45 am

I was at Whole Foods last weekend and saw Marcona almond *butter* for the first time. Have you seen that stuff? I can’t even imagine the amazingness . . .

52 spabettie June 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

WHAAAT?? okay, I am going there TODAY. I need this. do you remember the brand?

53 Sayward June 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm

DOn’t know the brand but there was only one. Downtown WF, in with the other nut butters. Let me know if you get it and how you like it!

54 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations June 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

This salad looks WONDERFUL… even better than something I’d pay $8.99 per pound for at WF. :)

55 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

oh, wow, Michele, now THAT is a compliment – thank you! :D

56 Mike July 8, 2011 at 7:07 am

This recipe looks unbelievable, I’m gonna try it really soon.
I recently wrote an article on the health benefits of quinoa, check it out.

Peace

Mike @TheIronYou

57 Edith December 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

it is summertime here, and this salad looks like it will be a perfect lunch! gorgeous colors!

58 Donna December 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

now this is a salad I can get on board with – I bet it DOES taste like summer!! thanks for a recipe, I can’t wait to make this.

59 Jackson February 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

my new favorite salad! this time of year I used frozen stuff, but it still tastes fresh like summer!

60 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I know, this is generally a summer salad so I can make it fresh, but it is still SO good even with the frozen, right? I do that in the winter too… happy you like it!

61 spabettie June 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm

“FEED ME THE STARS!”

oh, Kath!! this is THE most awesome video!! :D I love the dog narration, and Jason started imitating him, adding more ingredients… to the batter.

62 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 17, 2011 at 3:02 am

I love that show, it’s too funny! :D There’s a whole series about different Japanese dishes (look for “cooking with dog” on YouTube), and in almost every vid they have Chopin’s minute waltz in the background. :D In one they also had the black keys etude. :D :D

63 spabettie June 17, 2011 at 6:56 am

oh, my – I need to find those. Jason and I were both cracking up! that dog is crazy funny. thank you for sharing <3

64 spabettie June 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm

didn’t have time to get there today… I will as soon as I can, and will report back!! :D have a great weekend!