lemon basil fish tacos with jalapeno raita

in Dinner,Gluten Free,grilling,recipes,summertime

Summer is finally here, we have started the process of opening the pool (finishing this weekend, yay!), and I have another excuse to use both the grill and the jalapeno corer.

We love grilled fish around here, and a couple years ago we were doing the cedar plank thing. We had a simple salmon recipe with dijon mustard and brown sugar, we made it all summer long and everyone loved it. Jason recently declared “that recipe is so 2008″ and this season he’s ready to try something new.

He’s grilling fish directly on the grill. If you want to follow his lead, he says the grill needs to be thoroughly scrubbed clean and liberally oiled (he uses olive oil). When I asked if he has further instructions, he said “no, it’s just very simple.” :D oh, and always use fresh fish, do not freeze. “Buy it and cook it asap” Jason says.

So there you have it.

This year, I want pool noodles. Our floating basketball game and ring toss? So 2008.

lemon basil grilled cod tacos

1 pound cod filet
1/3 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons
bunch basil (about 20 leaves)
black pepper

Finely chop basil, add to oil, lemon juice and pepper, combine. Marinate cod in lemon basil mixture for a minimum of one hour. To grill: starting with a clean scrubbed grill, coat grill with olive oil. Grill fish over medium heat (350-400) about 8 minutes a side, or until opaque.

Cut fish into bite size pieces. Prepare tacos with warm corn tortillas, lettuce, fresh corn off the cob, and jalapeno raita.

cucumber jalapeno raita

1/2 English cucumber, chopped
3 jalapenos (adjust quantity to taste)
2 cups greek yogurt
1 teaspoon cumin

Add cucumber and jalapenos to food processor for a quick pulse, leaving some pieces intact. Combine yogurt and cumin, add cucumber / jalapeno mixture and combine completely.

The simple marinade is perfect for this fish, and the combination of spicy and cool of the raita adds great favor layers with the sweet fresh corn.

Happy Friday, everyone! Any plans this weekend? Want to come help scrub and shock the pool? I’ll share the noodle with you.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 8, 2011 at 5:15 am

Must have noodles for the pool! We have more floating things than pool space – even a floating cooler!

2 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Jason would LOVE the floating cooler!!

3 Emily July 8, 2011 at 5:23 am

yum, love the raita recipe! Greek yogurt and jalapeƱos are my favorites!

No big plans for the weekend (pretty excited about that!) but the pool sounds nice!

4 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm

sometimes you NEED a weekend with no plans… :D

5 Lisa July 8, 2011 at 5:28 am

Pool noodles!!! I love those things—I’m a sinker not a swimmer, and when the noodle was invented I could sigh with relief (I would no longer have to worry about drowning)!

This dish looks awesome—we love fish and all seafood around here, and I eagerly anticipate having a grill in my new (rented!) home.

Thanks for sharing :)

6 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm

ha, Lisa B, I’m not a swimmer either. more of a splasher-arounder. I pretend to swim. I need the noodle! and YES. your new home needs a grill! :D

7 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 8, 2011 at 5:53 am

I would never think to combine lemon and basil in tacos, but it’s so obvious. And CUMIN in the raita is perfect. Culinary genius.

8 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm

why Thank You, Victoria! :D *flattered and blushing*

9 katie July 8, 2011 at 5:58 am

Seriously, Mike would love you! He loves jalapeno, so he would love you to cook for him! ha!

These look really good, I love tacos! Yum!

happy weekend love! xoxo

10 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm

you should make this raita for Mike, and he could dip the jalapenos into it! :D

XXO happy weekend to you too, sweetie

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

I am so jealous that you have a pool! My mother in law has an above ground one and we help her every year getting it ready to open and then close it up in the fall. It is a ton of work!

12 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm

it IS a crazy amount of work, right?? it generally takes us a couple days, and is SO worth it when done!! :D

13 Natasha July 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

Mmm…these look delicious!! I’ll be trying them out soon!

14 Blog is the New Black July 8, 2011 at 7:48 am

Although I don’t like fish, the lemon basil taco idea is dead on! LOVE!

15 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 8, 2011 at 8:07 am

Just this week I was thinking about both fish tacos *and* cucumber salad… and here they both are with Spabettie style!

I can’t even begin to imagine a pool right now, as I sit at 50F, and dreaming of woolies… but good luck with your recruitment drive! ;)

16 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm

so crazy to think you’re cold while we are HOT here… (well, today was perfect, about 75 I think?) after I chowed down on THOSE tacos in the photo, I made a couple more, and they had cucumber slices too! oh, YUM.

and the recruitment drive generated TWO people to help. :D

17 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt July 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

I’ve never tried tacos with basil. Intereting idea!

Pool noodles! Fantastic addition to any pool. :)

18 Dorry July 8, 2011 at 8:43 am

These tacos look delicious! I love Jason’s explanation of cooking the fish on the grill. Sounds like something Billy would say. Although you’ve seen that Billy sometimes writes down his recipes in quite a bit of detail. :) Bust weekend ahead – birthday party, breakfast yoga club, possible baseball game, and hopefully some time to relax. xoxo

19 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 8, 2011 at 8:43 am

I love how the corn is still in a big “chunk”. When my mom used to cut it off the cob for me, I loved those pieces.

These look great!

And thanks for the comment reply re Bettie explanation :)

20 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I love it like that too… you can appreciate this, I was carefully picking those pieces up and placing them on the tacos, so they would not break apart! :D the things we do for the photo, right?? :D I hope (I KNOW!!) you are having a FABULOUS TIME this weekend, my friend!

21 Heather @ girlyeverafter July 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

Pool, fish tacos, and jalepeno poppers? What time should I arrive?

22 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:54 pm

haa! ;) we’re having company stay next weekend and the jalapenos have been requested. come on over! ;)

23 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

I would love to come help you with the pool for some treats! I wish I could! My boys love fish and shrimp tacos. We need to make some. Although, my in-laws won’t eat fish unless it’s fried…oh well, more for the boys!

Oh and to answer your question to me, you can vote on the Better Homes and Gardens cookie contest everyday until July the 27th. Thank you so much for taking the time to vote. I truly appreciate it!

24 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Sarena it would be so fun to have y’all over for grilling + pool! :) and GOOD TO KNOW, I just voted again and will do every day! XXO

25 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 8, 2011 at 10:51 am

why have I never combined cukes and jalaps? ohmygosh pessa you just created a monster! If I brave the storm here and head to the store i’m buying 2 cucumbers and plucking allllllll the jalaps from the garden! ahhh yum!

love ya!

26 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:49 pm

well I don’t KNOW why you haven’t yet!! :D (unless by now you have, and I hope you are enjoying!)

happy weekend, girl! – pessa ;)

27 Jen (The Domestic Diva) July 8, 2011 at 10:54 am

These look so yummy! Perfect for summer. Fresh. Light. Delicious.

xoxo
Jen

Domestic Divas

28 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

thanks, Jen!

29 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses July 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Both ways sound delicious, but can I just add that if the “2008″ way is wrong…I’ll still be “200late”! Brown sugar is my favorite!!

30 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm

haa… I know. after he said that I told him we WILL be making that recipe some time soon. I love it too. it’s totally a different taste, though, and the fish we’re making lately is so fresh and light, you know? both are tasty!

31 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Spare me the corn and the tacos, and this is totally my kind of dish! :D I’ve actually thought about lemon and basil fish lately … but haven’t made it so far. :D

32 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm

great minds! :D you should make it, ours was delicious! hope you’re having a great weekend, Kath!

33 Pure2raw twins July 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm

beautiful presentation…and the flavor combo, yum. I am slowly getting used to jalapenos I used to hate them, but now actually enjoying them in certain recipes

34 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I am the same way – until a couple years ago I wasn’t a spicy fan at all. I still don’t enjoy things that make me cry and have no flavor, only heat… :D

35 Lynn July 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm

YUM.YUM.YUM!!! I am excited to noodle and grill with you and Jason! (does that sound weird?) hahaha Sorry I cant be there to scrub and shock with you guys! (is that weirder?) :)

36 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

haaa – I just love this whole comment, Lynn. we’re looking forward to seeing you too!! pool will be scrubbed and shocked and all ready for you!

37 Gretchen @ flowercityfoodie.com July 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Do you think this would be good with the lemon basil I have around–or is that too much lemon? Anyway, it looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

38 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I’m sure the lemon basil will be fine. I’d just taste it as you make it, but my opinion is it cannot be too lemony. :D

39 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit July 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Love the pool noodles but not enough to scrub the pool for them. :) Love fish tacos too, but hubby usually cooks the fish in a special fish “thingy” he uses on the grill. (Probably circa 2008) These look really good, especially with that jalapeno raita and fresh corn. I love the way the kernels stuck together in little bundles of goodness. :)

40 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm

the scrubbing is the hardest part, but it’s a great workout! and even if it’s hot out, at this stage the pool water is still SO COLD, so you’re working out AND staying cool! :)

I think I know the “thingy” you’re talking about – like a cage, almost? so that’s still pretty much directly on the grill… (versus our 2008 cedar planks…) :)

41 hihorosie July 8, 2011 at 9:24 pm

“…so 2008…” snort! Funny kids. Tacos look great and refreshing with fresh corn straight from the cob. :)

42 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

the corn was especially sweet this time, too… perfect for these tacos.

43 Roz July 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

LOVE the food styling – the corn looks perfect!!! We have a very quiet weekend ahead, and the pool invite sounds lovely. Sadly, we live in different countries…so the noodle is all yours! Enjoy the pool and the weekend.

44 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:36 pm

thanks, Roz! ha, sorry you cannot be here for pool time! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

45 Lenore July 9, 2011 at 9:21 am

Ohhhh these sound SO good! Especially with the jalapeno raita…yum.

46 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

hi Lenore! I think this raita is going to be a staple around here… :)

47 Meri July 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’ve never made a raita spicy before- that sounds really good, especially for summer. We ate at an outdoor fish eatery today with grilled fish tacos, etc, and I was wondering how to make something similar. I guess now I know! Cheers!
Meri

48 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:34 pm

glad I could help! :) grilled fish tacos are SO good, aren’t they? I hope you enjoy!

49 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) July 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Pool noodles are the best!! So fun. Now I wish I lived in Portland so we could bake all day in our bakery, then lounge in your pool afterward. ;) And grilling fish ON the grill sounds great, I’m sure it gets much more blackened that way.

50 spabettie July 9, 2011 at 7:29 pm

now you’re talking, Liz! :D that sounds SO fun.

51 miri leigh July 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

Great use of raita! Perfect for summer. Thank you.

52 Aimee July 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Here’s a confession… I’ve never had a fish taco. To me, they have always sounded so strange that I have been scared to try them. Though I vowed that this would be the year that I did it! ;) These sound really good.

53 spabettie July 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm

thanks, Aimee! and I remember when I first heard of such a thing as a fish taco, I honestly felt the same way – huh? that cannot be good. ;) they really really are! :D

54 Christine (Merf) July 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’m a two noodle kind of girl. Really I’d use three or four but we only have two. I get them both. Sometimes I share but no, not really.

55 spabettie July 12, 2011 at 8:40 am

haa – I need to make sure I have plenty of noodles, for sure. at least one per person, plus some extras. ;)

56 Susan (Oliepants) July 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

You understand that I could go swimming in that cucumber jalapeno raita.

57 spabettie July 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

I COMPLETELY understand this.

58 January October 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I am making these tonight!! found them on a search and look, it’s you – who I already love! thanks Kris!

59 spabettie October 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

well, hello there, old friend! :) hope you enjoy these, are you still lucky enough to GRILL? :D

60 Ellen S November 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm

these sound so good, it is summer here right now and I want to grill EXACTLY THIS :D

61 Meg Colvin December 27, 2011 at 2:45 am

sounds incredible – I look forward to warm summer days for grilling, I am saving this recipe!