critters

in photography,yard & garden

Remember The Birds?

Today we have visitors of a different kind. A family of little bandits.

They are kinda cute.

My first thought was Raccoons in daylight? They’re rabid!

A quick google search eased my concern, telling me while that could be a reason, it’s not always the case. Many times a new raccoon mama is out searching for food for her babies, and that is what these are, cute little babies! The mama was rumbling around on the ground near the river, while her kits (I’m learning so much from google today!) played in the trees.

Meanwhile, all Basil wanted to do was come outside to play with them. I constantly have visions of him running too far and ending up in the river, so I took him on a walk instead. For all of our Basil Fans out there who have been asking for more of him, here you go! It was chilly this morning, so sweaters were needed.

Little cutie.

Do you ever see critters throughout your day?

If you have a dog, does it have clothes? :D

1 Kelly July 26, 2011 at 11:50 am

ohmygosh. Those raccoons are ADORABLE!

Olive does have clothes, but because of her weird Pug shaped body its not often that she has them on because they usually don’t fit properly. Although she does tolerate them surprisingly well.

2 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

oh, sweet Olive! :D I sometimes feel like nothing fits Basil either, but there are some Long Dog specific things that are pretty cool! :)

3 Lisa July 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

Wow! You got some good photos of your critters. I have a wild bunny in my garden. I saw it last night. I’ve been inspecting my lettuce for nibble marks, nothing yet.

4 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm

it was funny, there were a few photos where they were playing, and as soon as they noticed me, they were moving slow and kept their eyes on me the rest of the time! :D

5 Midlife Cruiser July 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Good grief, woman! Who dresses their dog?? ;P Next thing you know, you’re gonna be fitting those coons for baby booties! Hahahaha!!

6 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm

watch it lady or Bosco Pup will get some too.

7 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Awww, these are so cute!

And in my neighborhood, there are dog clothing stores, and yes, all dogs have great outfits here. Those that don’t have kids (and some that do have kids) have fabulous dogs..and they are dressed to the nines. In outfits far pricier than what I wear!

8 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

ha – yep, that’s Basil. we have dog boutiques here too (I cannot resist) and they have some fun stuff! I try not to embarrass him too much, but Basil does have a few hip outfits!

9 Jess July 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm

OMG they are actually really cute – and totally do look like little bandits! I’d want to befriend them!! Too bad that’s like dangerous and all, hehe ;-)

10 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm

haa – exactly! they are NOT nice! ;) cute from afar, though.

11 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I actually used to have a raccoon. Kind of a crazy story, but had her before she even had rings on her tail – her name was Gidget.

12 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm

that is awesome! I cannot imagine a raccoon as a pet – they seem so wild!

13 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm

She really was. She would only let me and my mom play with her or really take care of her. We ended up letting her go free in a wildlife refuge where we knew she could get plenty of people treats ;-) I had her close to 2 years.

14 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Ok Basil is too cute in his sweater! What a sweetie.

I don’t see animals in our actual yard very often — but on my running trail I see all sorts of animals: foxes, deer, rabbits, birds, toads, turkeys, etc.

15 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm

aw, thanks Holly. we think he’s pretty dang cute. :D turkeys!! now that is one thing I never see around here, I think that would shock me! we have a lot of land around here, so we see coyotes sometimes – kinda scary when we have a Little Dachshund running around! there’s a lake close by too, so we have ducks around and HUGE cranes! and at night all the frogs at the lake are LOUD! :D

16 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel July 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

They are insanely adorable!!! I always joke w/hubs that I want one as a pet but he said they’d be just as annoying as toddlers hahaha.

17 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm

haa – that is hilarious! Heather WTB just commented that she used to have one!! named Gidget! :D I think they are cute from afar!

18 Trekky July 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Racoons are soooo cute! I saw some in Vancouver & wanted to befriend one so it could come and live with us – but didn’t think the airline would have been too happy to let bring a racoon on to the plane back to the UK! I’ll just have to watch the cartoon instead!

Basil has a great jumper btw :)

19 spabettie July 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I can see it now – “Raccoons On A Plane” !!

and Basil says thank you :D

20 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

There was a raccoon that came out last night while we were at the lake last night looking for turtle eggs. It was so crazy watching him.

21 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:38 am

we like watching them too, from the safety of being indoors! they are cute but they do get defensive, especially mamas with new babies!

22 MarathonVal July 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I don’t always care for pets with clothes but Basil is SOOOO freaking adorable in that sweater!! I kinda want one myself (the dog and the sweater!)…

23 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:37 am

thank you! ;) I know what you mean, I’m not a fan of “dressing up” the dog just for the sake of it – Basil has a few sweaters and lighter shirts that serve a function! :D

24 karen July 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm

We have a dog, minus the clothes and he likes to point at critters, hence part of the name in his bread ( german pointer ).

25 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm

How cute! :D I once saw a wild raccoon on vacation in Florida with my parents (I was 6), and we were driving around by car a lot and visiting a lot of places, and one day, there was this raccoon visiting us when we had a lunch picknick somewhere in the green. My dad had bought garlic crispbread, not knowing what garlic was (nowadays I could’ve told him! :D) which we all didn’t like so much, but the raccoon liked it and ate the whole package. :D

26 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:35 am

ha – I am imagining that raccoon going back to … wherever its family was, being shunned for garlic breath and having heartburn later. ;) garlic crispbread sounds good to me!! :D

27 Shirley @ gfe July 27, 2011 at 3:58 am

Those pictures are awesome, Kristina! That first one you could enter in contests and win for sure. Seriously. And the second one, with their positions, looks like you posed them! One of the most adorable sights that we’ve ever seen was a Momma Raccoon crossing the road with all her babies trailing behind. No photos that time … they way too quick for that, thank goodness though for mom and babies. We actually had a rabid raccoon in our yard once. They behave very strangely so you just know something is not right with them. It was an unfortunate experience because our cat had been outside at the time and even though he had his rabies vaccine up to date, he had to be quarantined for a long time afterwards.

Cold enough for a sweater?! That would be sooo nice right now! Oh, and no clothes for Mr. Sonny, although when he got too warm last week, I did put a soaking wet bandanda on him. He didn’t like it though. He likes to snuggle on blankets and our clothes, but not have anything on. ;-)

We have many critters in our woods/on our lakefront and at our mountain/river property. Deer, raccoons, possums, birds, screech owls, blue herons, ospreys, turtles, etc. etc.

Happy Wednesday!
Shirley

28 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:31 am

well, THANK YOU, Shirley!! I really liked that top photo too. Perhaps I will look into that… The mama with the babies crossing the road would have been a great photo – so many missed photos from not having your camera ready – happens to me all the time! Your poor cat, having to be quarantined! When the weather gets hot here I try to do that with Basil, a cool cloth that he doesn’t really care for. He does like to swim in the pool, though, so that’s a plus! :)

Happy Wednesday to YOU, Shirley! XO

29 Megan (the long-winded one) July 27, 2011 at 4:25 am

There are 7 dogs in my family and they all have clothes, my three have a warm weather bin and a cold weather bin full. Some of them are actually dog clothes but most of them are from the baby department at Old Navy or the Gap. My brother has the other 4 and even his 40-something pound mixes have clothes out of the kids section, their hoodies are perfect for our dogs. It can be a little tricky to figure out what size they need but it’s like some weird mutant power I have to be able to tell what a dog needs based on weight and seeing their chest/arm build. I have an Italian Greyhound mix and he has the big chest/long legs/skinny neck and waist combo that no dog clothes fit. Not to mention, kids clothes go on clearance all the time and are awesome, how else would my dog Inca have a Batman hoodie in her life? I am aware that clothes on dogs is not generally accepted but my dogs love it, Miss Inca will even pick between two choices and could dress herself if she had thumbs, as it works right now, she pushes her face through the neck hole and knows how to put her arms through the sleeves. I also realize I am one of those crazy dog parents, and I am perfectly okay with this…I moved my dogs from the sunny 30 minutes away from the beach place we had in Maryland to the we only get about 2 months of what could be considered hot weather mountains of North Carolina, their fur isn’t always enough. I also opted for acupuncture, herbs, and cooking her food based on what is considered hot/cold/warm to line up her energies when I was told Inca needed surgery on her neck.

I think it is awesome that Basil has clothes and can’t wait to see more of his fashion side!

30 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:26 am

YES – one of our old dachshunds used to wear t-shirts that belonged to my nephew – they were a perfect fit! I LOVE that Inca has a Batman hoodie! and she sounds VERY talented! you may call yourself a “crazy dog parent” but I see it as someone giving premium care to their pups – who are no doubt well deserving. :D

31 hihorosie July 27, 2011 at 7:05 am

aw, the babies are so cute! Spotted an adult one the other day – could’ve been rabid or a mama looking for food but the way it was positioned (kind of hump-backed) creeped me out. Fortunately, it was off in some parking lot and I was in the car.

I have no pets but if I did have a doggie, he’d so have clothes!

32 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:11 am

many of them lumber around kind of humped over, but yes, you never know – they are very defensive!

33 Aimee July 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Cute raccoons! We get them around our area now and then, but it’s rare. My parent’s had one trapped in their basement window well once, poor thing.

Baby totally wears clothes, and she loves them. Looks like a very yummy dinner too by the way!

34 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm

we have raccoons all over the place here, and bigger animals I don’t want to think about (we think we can see their eyes with the flashlight when we’re walking Basil at night!) :/

35 windycityvegan July 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

So cute! A childhood friend of mine had a pet raccoon, and I’ve always longed for one since then. But alas, I have pet chickens now . . . and I don’t think raccoons are very nice to them.

36 spabettie July 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

oh no… those two definitely would not get along! chickens are a much better choice, I think! ;)

37 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 31, 2011 at 8:43 pm

AWWWW! They are so precious! I never knew baby raccoons were called “kits”! Gotta love Google! I have…or should I say Tiger has a frog friend that has been coming to “visit” at least once or twice a week this summer. And by visit, I mean sticking himself to the back door for hours on end! Haha!