23 Hoyt

in Dinner,Portland,restaurants

I took Jason to dinner for his birthday last month, and when I asked where he would like to go, he wanted to try 23 Hoyt.

This New American Tavern is located in the Nob Hill neighborhood of Northwest Portland (on 23rd Avenue and Hoyt Street). 23 Hoyt is another in The Bruce Carey Restaurant Group along with a favorite of ours, clarklewis.

We began with cocktails:

for Jason, the No Bull – bourbon, cock ‘n bull ginger beer

while I enjoyed the Claudette – vodka, passionfruit & fresh lemon-lime

I’m not a bourbon fan, but Jason loved his, and the Claudette was great too – not too sweet.

Bread and salted butter with the amuse-bouche -

Celery Soup.

This was lovely. Rich and aromatic.

We each chose a small plate to share. My choice -

Iceberg Wedge - blue cheese crumbles, buttermilk dressing and bacon

The wedge is one of my favorite salads, and 23 Hoyt’s version did not disappoint. Crisp, fresh and flavorful.

Shells and Cheese - bacon, peas

Jason chose this one, it was madly decadent, I had a few bites. Quite tasty comfort food – creamy, cozy and perfectly heated.

My entree -

Pan-Roasted Sockeye Salmon - flageolets, charred cippolini onions, braised fennel

I loved this dish! The salmon was perfect, and tasted great with the buttery beans. The charred cippolinis and braised fennel were delicious.

Beer Braised Beef Cheeks – preserved lemon polenta, local asparagus, sweet cippolini onions

Jason loved this. The lemon polenta and asparagus? I could eat this classic and bright combination as is.

My choice for dessert probably won’t surprise anyone -

Beignets with caramel sauce.

Always makes me happy.

The birthday boy’s choice was no surprise either -

a 15 year Laphroaig and the house-made ice cream

We stick with our favorites, I suppose! Another drink I do not like, but I love the smell (like campfire!).

We were impressed overall – the atmosphere was lively without being loud, the service attentive and friendly from knowledgeable servers. I have memorized the happy hour menu and have decided we need to return, and soon.

23 Hoyt on Urbanspoon

1 katie @KatieDid July 27, 2011 at 5:21 am

your pictures are fantastic for a restaurant setting! Was it well lit? Or does your camera just do well in low- light situations? Either way the food looks absolutely mouth watering, wow!

2 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

thank you, Katie!! I’m getting better at setting my camera for the restaurant – they still don’t always turn out but I’m getting better! I take it as a personal challenge each time we dine out ;)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 27, 2011 at 5:29 am

MMMM your drink sounds fantastic and refreshing. I’m not normally a hard alcohol girl, but would definitely try that. And your pictures are just gorgeous!

4 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:19 am

it was a great drink – I’m not a sweet drink person and this was JUST perfect.

5 katie July 27, 2011 at 5:30 am

Wow! All this looks amazing! What a good choice for his birthday dinner!

Your drink you got sounds so refreshing, that is the BEST damn iceberg wedge salad I have ever seen, and the salmon, yummmmmmmm!

Oh and of course, the dessert, yeah I would like a dozen of those please ; )

6 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:17 am

YES – “the BEST damn iceberg wedge salad” indeed!! – and the dessert was pretty damn good too ;)

7 Heather July 27, 2011 at 5:52 am

That meal looks amazing – the salmon over beans especially.

I would love that dessert – it looks amazing.

That looks like an amazing dinner out.

8 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:16 am

those beans especially, they were SO tasty! it was a perfect dinner out for his birthday!!

9 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 27, 2011 at 6:08 am

Claudette – vodka, passionfruit & fresh lemon-lime

Beignets with caramel sauce.

right there…those 2 things, i could die happy. PERFECTION!

And thanks for your comment reply re the nunatuls baking blend, replace 1:1 like you would with sugar. That it has bulk/volume to it just like sugar does. As suspected but just was scared of putting in like 1 c of stevia if i need 1 c of sugar type thing! like i didnt want to create chemical soup :)

10 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:14 am

HAA, chemical soup – no kidding! even still, I add half at first and taste the result before adding the rest. ;)

the Claudette was SO good – I want to go back for happy hour and another Claudette!

11 Tiffany July 27, 2011 at 6:41 am

I am totally bookmarking this on the off chance I will ever be in Portland again! That salmon looks out of this world….and I dont even like cooked salmon!

12 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:13 am

Tiffany if you make it back to Portland I will be your tour guide to the best restaurants here!! :)

13 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 27, 2011 at 7:38 am

Kevin recently bought himself a bottle of Laphroaig when he was in London a couple of weeks ago. I’ve never seen a man so happy in my entire life!

14 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:00 am

so Kevin is now a land owner on the Isle of Islay? :D with each bottle purchased you get a square foot plot as an answer to an old land dispute. if you show up to see it, they give you a glass of scotch, rubber boots, an anchor and a map so you can walk out to your plot! :)

15 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 27, 2011 at 8:14 am

Hold the phone… I didn’t know that! Haha I just told Kevin and his response was ” yes. but… somebody threw out my tag that came with the bottle”…. oopsies! Guess we’ll just have to save up for another bottle.

16 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

uh oh… um, I’m assuming that was you? ;) you’ll have to buy him another, a scotch lover needs to own a plot of the land! :D

17 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 27, 2011 at 8:57 am

ya…. that “you” was… me. Fail. Lucky for him though, he’ll get another bottle out of the deal!

18 Lisa July 27, 2011 at 9:41 am

This looks amazing! We have family visiting from Texas next weekend and all they want to do is eat seafood, so maybe we’ll take them here!

19 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 10:12 am

oops, I saw your question to me the other day about seafood restaurants – I didn’t answer right away (like I usually can!) because… I had to think? to me when I want seafood I go to places like this – or really several of the places on the “best” list I gave you a while ago – I don’t really like the “seafood restaurants” here besides Salty’s! I like Jakes for cocktails and happy hour, but honestly think they are kind of overrated – one of those places that a tourist feels like they need to go to? same with McCormick’s, although they have some decent food.

but if I have out of town guests and “all they want to do is eat…” – I’d take them to my favorite places, rather than the “must see” – you know? :) there are plenty fantastic restaurants with seafood on the menu, any good restaurant is going to have awesome fresh fish, being where we are! can’t wait to see where you take your family!

20 Lisa July 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

They love Jake’s so we usually go there. I’ve had good food at Jake’s and then last time I was there it was “just ok”. Kind of a disappointment.

I have a few favorite restaurants I want to take them but then I look at the menu and the seafood options are limited. They are visiting from Texas so they do not want to eat steak or Mexican food (fair enough).

21 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 27, 2011 at 9:57 am

Yum! You always find the yummiest meals!! :)

22 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 10:14 am

we’ve been wanting to try this one for a while, the exec. chef used to be one I really love, but he has moved on to do his own thing. still a good time! :)

23 Dorry July 27, 2011 at 10:39 am

That salmon dish looks superb!! It’s fun to see the food, but as I’m scrolling, I imagine all the fun conversation and laughing that I know happens between you and Jason! <3

I LOVE dining out with Billy. And a birthday celebration is always so special and festive. We are the couple who sit next to each other on the same side of the table. Can't help ourselves.

24 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmm! :D

Have I already mentioned that I’m totally in love with your cocktail pics? ;)

25 Roz@weightingfor50 July 27, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hi Kristina, OMG….this dinner looks fantastic. I may have to steal the “Claudette” recipe for an upcoming “Cocktail Sunday”. Just catching up on your last posts…LOVE the little raccoon shots! But love the one of Basil in a sweater even more!!!! Have a great day!

26 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I hope you DO make the Claudette, Roz! :) it’s delicious! and Basil says thank you ;) he kinda struts around when he has that sweater on…

27 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 27, 2011 at 11:15 am

What a wonderful birthday dinner! I too love wedge salads — and this one looks incredible.

28 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm

aren’t wedge salads GREAT? definitely one of my favorites.

29 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 27, 2011 at 11:32 am

Laphroig—and all peaty malts—make me blind in one eye. Give me a citrusy Glenrothes, anyday! And your salmon! But seriously: the wedge… is a wedge of iceberg? And it’s good? Interesting…

30 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm

YES it’s a big wedge of iceberg!! I love it, but you have to like iceberg, I suppose! dressing gets poured over it and… mmm! :D

31 Monique July 27, 2011 at 1:45 pm

This looks perfect! I will drink ANY cocktail with passionfruit in it :) So yummy and refreshing.

32 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm

it was REALLLLLLY good! ;) I want to go back for another!

33 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt July 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm

The Claudette sounds like fun! :)

Look at you taking photos at restaurants. It all looks so delish!

34 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I know, Erin!! remember a year ago I was TOO CHICKEN to bring my camera to a restaurant?? :D

35 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt July 28, 2011 at 6:11 am

I know! Great photos were bursting to be get out! :)

36 Cookin' Canuck July 28, 2011 at 7:15 am

That salmon is gorgeous! It sounds as though you had an amazing meal.

37 spabettie July 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

isn’t that salmon unreal?? like, it really looks unreal! ;) I didn’t even edit the color. it tasted just as good, too.

38 spabettie July 27, 2011 at 10:06 am