garlic apple juice

in daily juice,recipes

Another nutrient and flavor packed winner. Seriously. I know some of you are thinking I’m crazy about now, but when I juice every day I have to get creative. I share my good juicing combinations, and honestly, they haven’t all been good.

This one is good, and has many benefits from garlic, a powerful medicinal herb. In addition to being rich in potassium, calcium, iron and amino acids, garlic is a great source of vitamins. It is a natural antibiotic, anti microbial and immune booster, and can reduce cholesterol, blood pressure and infection.

It also has great flavor!

garlic apple juice

1 fresh garlic clove
2 Granny Smith apples
1 bell pepper

Juice and enjoy!
garlic juicing tip: Juice the garlic clove first, so the rest of the produce after can help move the garlic flavors out of the juicer.

While I wouldn’t juice more than one clove of garlic (and one clove of garlic is all one should have each day), the flavor is mild. Paired with the sweet apple it makes a great tasting juice.

Do you juice? What is the strangest combination you’ve had?

1 assistantdoc July 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

How do you juice your garlic. Do you have a masticating juicer? My juicer is a centrifigal one but also has teeth. Don’t know how it would do with garlic.

2 spabettie July 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Sarah, my juicer is also centrifugal. I have added garlic peeled of the papery skin, and also have left it on. It works fine!

3 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Wow you are hard core drinking raw garlic! I’m impressed.

4 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Wow wow wow! :D I love garlic, but I never dared to put it into a smoothie or drink (I don’t have a juicer, boo). I just wonder … Would you have this for breakfast on a work day? :D

Anyway anyway anyway, my weirdest thing to drink (not juiced, as I don’t have a juicer – have I mentioned that already? :D) was coke with milk. I was a child, and I wanted to make up something disgusting, so I came up with this. And it was totally disgusting – *so* disgusting that I had to try it again a few weeks later to convince myself *how* disgusting it was. :)

5 spabettie July 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm

NO! not likely for breakfast, I would not want to offend anyone. :D coke and milk really does sound… gross! ;)

6 Rachel (teacher-chef) July 31, 2011 at 7:32 pm

My grandmother’s favorite treat was coke & milk… kinda like a Coke Float (I hate cola, but love it this way)!!!

Do you think that you could make this type smoothie just in a blender? It sounds awesome in that strange “I just can’t wait” way – but I do not have a juicer either!

7 Roz@weightingfor50 July 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm

You are a Juicing Maverick!!!! Very impressive. (and love the kabob shots from your last post! yum) Have a great Friday!!!

8 spabettie July 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

wow, I like that title! :D perhaps that should be the name of my juicing book (??) :D

9 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm

hahahaaaaaaaaaaa you are crazy my friend but I love you for it!! :)

10 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

weirdo. ;)

Bring back the matcha!!

11 spabettie July 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

ha! okay, just for you!

12 lindsay July 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

i just started experimenting with juicing garlic recently and I must say, not too shabby! I wouldn’t go overboard though. Ha. ginger is still my fav though ;)

13 spabettie July 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

yes, I recently read that one should have no more than 2 raw garlic cloves a day… pretty powerful! I’m sticking to my one.

14 Eden July 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

vampires will hate you ;)

15 Heather July 30, 2011 at 3:26 am

Garlic is crazy in the juicer! Good for you for doing it – I tried it once and it was too much for me!

16 Sueson@specialeats July 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

I think that sounds like a great combo!

I like to make smoothies all the time. I start with:
1 banana, then add 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 1/4 cup walnuts, and 1/2 cup of pineapple, coconut water OR orange juice. I call it my Blue Hawaii!

17 maggie July 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love creative juicers, because I’m one myself. But yours sound outrageously delish. Love your photos!

18 hihorosie August 1, 2011 at 1:29 pm

gorgeous! Will help in keeping those vampires away. ;) I love garlic in my juices – I like to switch between savory and sweet.

19 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:18 am

the garlic is SO good!! – I forgot about the vampire benefit! :D

20 Andreas August 3, 2011 at 2:45 am

Nice idea.
Years ago when I started juicing I had a severe cold and read Dr. Norman Walkers book. He recommended garlic and onion against such colds.
So, in my young optimism, I juiced app. 10 – 15 garlic cloves and 1 onion and some carrots for the ‘flavor’. It smelled strong and it was the first juice that I didn’t completely emptied.
Half through I got some strong effects … ;-) stomache, cramps and lastly I had to vomit. Then everything was fine.
Therefore one or two gloves a day seems fine. :-))

21 spabettie August 3, 2011 at 8:46 am

ooh, you’ll never do that again! ;) glad it was short lived and you were okay. I don’t do more than one clove at a time, and two per day is GOOD. :D

22 Charissa August 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Wow, I might just have to try this!!! I need some garlic in my system…I have a cold (sniff, sniff).

23 spabettie August 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm

haa, Charissa! I think you were leaving this comment about the time I was posting today’s afternoon juice – another garlic one –> garlic veggie juice. now you have a choice of recipes! :) I hope you’re feeling great again soon – this juice should help!!

24 janette October 23, 2012 at 8:53 am

hi spabettie im janet how many times can i drink this garlic apple bell juice? and what the exact amount of? i really want to try it because i know garlic is really help. thank you!

25 spabettie October 23, 2012 at 9:04 am

hi Janette,

I would only use one raw garlic clove each day – you do not want to overdo raw garlic. this recipe makes one (approximate) 6-8 ounce glass, which is plenty for one day. enjoy!

26 wendi murray August 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Can you suggest a good juicer that is easily mobile.
We watched a doc on juicing and I want my husband to juice at work.
The cheaper the better tho!

BTW, I’m going to look at all your juice recipes later tonight! Thanks for the inspiration :)

27 spabettie August 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm

hi Wendi! was the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead by any chance? it’s a good one, just curious. :) if it was that film, we have the same juicer as Joe Cross, the main guy. it’s the breville juice fountain plus ( see it here –> breville ) it is pretty well priced compared to others, and it’s very efficient. we’ve been juicing with ours DAILY for a year, sometimes multiple times, and it is still like new. we love it. you may also be able to find one like it on eBay, or craigslist? see if someone might be selling one?

and you are SO welcome – I’m happy to help! please let me know if you have any questions, and have fun!

28 wendi murray August 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Yes thats the one. Its not the weight issue but the energy problem we have. My husband works way too much and has no energy ever!

Thanks for your help!

29 spabettie August 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

you are welcome! for us it was about energy, too – we didn’t have any of the issues they do in the movie, just wanted to “clean up” you know? :) good luck to you!

30 Pam November 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

I just juiced two small tomatoes along with a bunch of kale, carrots, garlic (1 clove), celery and lemon. Hit it w/ a bit of salt and ground black pepper. It was absolutely delish!

31 spabettie November 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm

that sounds wonderful – and adding pepper!!?? I need to try that! :D

32 Michael November 27, 2011 at 5:00 am

this sounds interesting enough that I will try it!!

33 spabettie November 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I hope you do – the garlic is GOOD! :)

34 Amanda January 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

I just made a garlic smoothie in a blender with spinach, frozen fruit and OJ. It was absolutely delicious!! Who would have thought to put raw garlic in a smoothie!!! So healthy, and so yummy! I can see a great habit forming here! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

35 spabettie January 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm

you are so welcome, Amanda! so glad you like it too – and it absolutely is habit forming – when I first tried it I was having it daily! VERY good for you, but you should limit 1-2 raw cloves per day!

36 Jill February 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

your juice recipes are all so great.

37 Mavi December 13, 2012 at 8:12 am

Usually i juice 2 days worth of apple celery carrot juice as i have a masticating juicer…. I would like to add lemon juice n garlic…. Should i put them both in beforehand or only do it when i am about to drink it? Just wondering whether its safe to include ahead of time n if the nutrients will be retained 100%?

thx!

38 Kristina Sloggett December 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

hi Mavi,

I have always juiced to use immediately, so I don’t feel qualified to answer this? I know masticating juicers keep the enzymes intact and the juice does last longer, but I have never done that. I do know that eating raw garlic is powerful, and should be limited to ONE clove – every few days is what I do.

Since garlic is so powerful and lemon is so acidic, I would think you might want to use them right away?

39 Denise January 19, 2013 at 1:54 am

Hi kristina, I have really bad disgestive problems. I heard that that juicing is really good for this. How do you think I should go about doing this?Sounds like it may just be life changing.

40 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

hi Denise! (is this the Denise I know??) :) while juicing has many benefits, I am not comfortable suggesting it could be a remedy for digestion, and refer people with these kinds of questions to their doctor. that said, a juice fast has been said to give the digestive system a “break” of sorts, because there is little “processing” going on with only liquid, no fiber/food. regular juicing can be beneficial in many ways, I certainly enjoy it!

41 Montana May 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I tried making some juice with
a handful of spinach
1 large clove of garlic
1/4 pinapple
1 apple
2 carrots
1 large colored green
one handful of lettuce
2 strawberries
1 scoop of organic Nuvo protein powder (which helped cut the bitterness, but still not a lot)
It Made 1 1/2 cup of juice
It was very hard for me to drink it. It was very strong garlic tasting. I am going to try a small clove. Any suggestions?

42 Kristina Sloggett June 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm

hi Montana, I would think the pineapple would sweeten the juice enough. garlic is very strong, perhaps a smaller clove, or even just a half clove? if you do not find it palatable, I would suggest just leaving out the garlic altogether :) Cheers

43 Maria June 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you think a red bell pepper or carrots would work as a substitute for the yellow bell pepper? =] I just got my juicer so I’m super excited to try it out!

44 Kristina Sloggett June 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

hi Maria! you can absolutely change it up and add whatever veggies you like! the garlic is strong, so it will be the prominent flavor. much of what I do is trial and error, and I just try to make sure I have a strong flavor I really want to taste (pineapple, berries and carrots are good for sweet, for example). have fun with your new juicer – I encourage you to just try new things and enjoy!

45 MrsB0814 April 12, 2014 at 3:01 pm

This is my first time trying garlic juice, I’ve been sick for what feels like weeks and can’t seem to kick it.. I was recommended garlic juice but scared of the intensity of the flavor. I found your recipe and tweaked it a bit for what was in my fridge – I have to say it’s actually quite tasty :) Thanks for the help!

I used:
1 clove of garlic
2 handfuls of kale
1 carrot
3 slices of pineapple
1 and 1/2 apples

46 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2014 at 9:17 am

it isn’t bad, right? I have heard to keep the serving of RAW garlic to 1 or 2 cloves a day, so keep that in mind. your recipe sounds phenomenal, pineapple will definitely help sweeten things a bit! hope you feel better asap! Kristina