apple & peanut butter dog treats

in Basil Pup,daily juice,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

I shared with you some of the benefits of our juice fast, but we are not the only ones who benefit from our juicing. Basil is enjoying it too.

I have used juicing pulp in baking breads and muffins before. Now while we are fasting, Basil is enjoying homemade treats made from juice pulp! I have made a few flavors, and while Basil is not partial, I think these are his favorite.

Who doesn’t like apples and peanut butter? Classic.

If you aren’t a juicer, you can use chopped or shredded apples, maybe reducing to 3/4 cup.

apple & peanut butter dog treats

1 cup apple pulp or shredded apple (I juiced 3 apples)
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown rice flour (plus additional for kneading, rolling)
1 egg (or flax, chia or Ener-G replacer)

Core and juice 3 apples, reserving pulp. Combine apple pulp and peanut butter, then add egg and flour.

Knead into a ball and roll to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter or knife. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool completely, store in an airtight container.

Basil loves these! They are soft out of the oven and as they cool they become crisper but not too crunchy. Cooking for another 5-7 minutes makes them crunchy (this is what I did with a carrot batch).

These are so quick and easy to make, I like the short healthy ingredient list for Basil, and I’m using most of the pulp when we juice, which makes me happy too.

┬áBasil says Happy Tuesday – *wag wag wag*

1 katie @KatieDid August 2, 2011 at 5:27 am

And did you try one also? I wonder if they’d taste any good with human taste buds. I do not like overly sweet things, so I could see myself munching on these too haha! I’ve accidently eaten dog treats before a few times, but I’m sure they were not made with fresh juice pulp and peanut butter based on the way they tasted!

2 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

hee – YES I did taste one, and they are GOOD. if you don’t like really sweet things you would LOVE these, and there’s no reason why you couldn’t eat them! ;) the sweet from the apple is good, and who doesn’t like peanut butter!? :D

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 2, 2011 at 5:56 am

Those treats look delish to me. Mine LOVE the apple cookie treats I make for them. Of course, they really aren’t picky… ;-)

4 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:36 am

ha – yeah, Basil’s not too discriminating either – he eats most anything. these smell awesome.

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 2, 2011 at 5:58 am

I am sending this link to my sister — they like to make treats for their dog and I’m sure these would be a big hit!

6 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:35 am

great, Holly! I hope they make them, Basil loves them and they smell awesome. (taste really good too, shhh!) ;)

7 Chef Amber Shea @Almost Vegan August 2, 2011 at 6:20 am

Are you sure these are just for dogs?! Cuz add in a few drops of stevia, and I wouldn’t be able to stay away from them! :P

8 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

um, YEAH. I don’t even need the stevia, they’re pretty tasty!! :D I thought about adding agave – I’m making another batch today, perhaps I will. treat for me, treat for pup, treat for ME, treat for pup! ;)

9 Allie August 2, 2011 at 7:07 am

Well, I’d totally eat these. Oh, wait, wait–DOG treats. That is one lucky dog :D

10 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:31 am

haa, Allie, each time I give him one I smell it… mmm, peanut butter! they are actually very good! ;)

11 Tiffany August 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

This is going on my must-make list! I love the heart shapes as well-I wonder if they have a doxie cookie cutter. Hmmm…..that would be like cannablism for Basil though, eh? :( I meant well with that thought!!

12 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:09 am

Tiffany I DO have a doxie cookie cutter – I didn’t want to use it for Basil’s treats! ;)

13 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:09 am

and I KNOW Linx will love them too!! :D

14 lynn @ the actor's diet August 2, 2011 at 9:37 am

so great! julius is posting it on his facebook fan page ;)

15 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

I love it, thank you Julius!!

16 (what runs) Lori August 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

You must have the healthiest (and WELL FED) dog ever. I wouldn’t even mind eating what he eats!

17 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

um, these are pretty tasty. ;) yep, I tried one.

18 Roz August 2, 2011 at 10:51 am

Basil, you are ONE lucky dog!!!

19 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:53 am

oh, he is so very lucky. but I’m also lucky to have found him :) he makes my day so often.

20 Chris August 2, 2011 at 10:54 am

What a great idea! We just started juicing last month and throwing the pulp away has kind of been bugging me. I bet Kenny and Ginger would chow down on these adorable treats!

21 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

YES – do it!! :) Basil LOVES them!

22 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

also, did we already talk about this – have you tried rejuicing the pulp? some of the wetter stuff (carrots, cucumber…) can actually get a lot of juice on a second and even THIRD time through… just kind of messy. :D

23 hihorosie August 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

hey they look like some I’d eat! ha ha! Basil is spoiled (ahem, lucky I mean) doggie!

24 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

hee! ;) I love to spoil him – he deserves it!

25 hihorosie August 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

That comment was supposed to read like this:

hey they look like something I would eat! Ha ha! Basil is a spoiled (ahem, lucky I mean) doggie!

26 Alexis August 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Wow, I have never known another “Basil” dog before! Although my dogs name is spelled “Bayzill”.

I’ll have to try these for her!

27 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm

yay for dogs named Basil!! I hope you make these, Bayzil will LOVE them! :D

28 janetha @ meals & moves August 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I know a couple of someones who would love these :)

29 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

aw, dang… I should have included a few in my package to you… NEXT time! ;)

30 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

With a little sweetener these are MINE all MINE! We tasted some doggie biscuits at a dog’s birthday party (well duh doesn’t everyone go to those?) and they were yummy but not sweet obviously! And I love that you are a waste-not-want-not family. <3

31 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I have always wanted to go to (or have!) a dog birthday party. these would be a hit! :) they are pretty tasty as is, the peanut butter is good! the using instead of wasting makes me VERY happy! :)

32 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm

There was a dog cookie business near me in northern BC… I don’t see why it couldn’t be in Portland, OR, too! Ever thought about going all capitalist on this genius?

33 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I should, definitely! at least at the Farmer’s Market or something… :D

34 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Mmm! Yummy dog treats! Basil is so lucky its Mama is so great at making home made treats :)

35 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

his Mama is happy to do it! I like to feed him GOOD food. (and I have to taste test, you know… they’re pretty tasty!) :)

36 Pure2raw Twins August 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Love it!!! I have always wanted to make dog treats, the funny thing is though I do not even have a dog haha I do plan on getting one here soon, well hopefully :)

Now I have a recipe to make when I do finally get one!
xoxo
~Lori

37 spabettie August 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I hope you get a pup soon! :) Basil loves these treats!

38 Jeffie August 6, 2011 at 8:29 am

my fat labrador is turning four tomorrow! she loves peanut butter and apples…so, she’d love these for her birthday! :)

39 spabettie August 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

aw, happy birthday to your lab! did you make these for her? :D

40 Sarah September 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I have recentlly begun juicing (because of YOU!!) and now I know how to include my dogs in that!

41 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:49 am

it makes it even better, right? and I like having zero waste!

42 Clyde the Schnauzer September 27, 2011 at 7:37 am

my human made these for me recently, my new favorite treat AROOOO

43 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 9:42 am

hi Clyde!! so happy you like them!

44 Kel November 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm

awesome loves these! thank you. can’t wait to play with this and add other flavors.

45 spabettie November 28, 2011 at 8:24 pm

hi Kel – am I understanding correctly, that your dog’s name is awesome?? :D I LOVE THAT! glad awesome likes them! ;)

46 Summer November 26, 2011 at 4:05 am

these are good enough for humans to eat! ;) my pups love them, thank you!

47 spabettie November 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

haa haa, yes, Summer, they are! ;) I tried them too…

48 Gigi Guthrie January 15, 2012 at 11:50 am

I made these today, and my animals went CRAZY for them! Our doxie, Bella, in particular!

Instead of juicing (I do not have a juicer), I cored and cut a Red Delicious apple, then ran it through my food processor. So rather then a saucey texture, they have a chunkier texture. The dough came out a little gooey, so I added 3 tablespoons of extra flour.

My husband came in and said, “Wow! Cookies?” So, I slipped him one, THEN told him what they are for!! Ha!

This is def going in my Dog Treat recipe box! Thank you for sharing!

49 Tina March 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Your Basil looks JUST like my Chile. She will be turning 9 years old this Wednesday so I’m going to try making these treats for her and her friends! She’s been on crate rest for the last week for a sprained back so maybe these will help cheer her up :)

50 spabettie March 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

oh, sweet Chile! sorry she’s hurt, hope she is feeling better asap! and Happy Birthday, little pup! I hope she loves these – Basil sure does!

51 TINA December 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Chile absolutely loved them and so did her friends! We got a juicer from my parents for Christmas so I came back to the recipe because I remembered you used the apple pulp from your juicer ( last time I used unsweetened organic apple sauce instead). Looking forward to trying it out with the pulp and my husband will feel much better about making apple juice since we won’t be wasting the pulp :)

52 Donna June 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Could you clarify what you mean by “add prepared egg…” in your recipee directions?

53 spabettie June 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

hi Donna, absolutely! sorry about that – in this recipe you could use an egg, or an egg substitute like chia or flax seed. the ‘prepared’ refers to chia or flax, which is one tablespoon chia/flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water. if using a real egg, no prep needed. hope that helps, hope your pup enjoys these!

54 Donna June 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you! Can’t wait to make these for my Jack Russell’s 6th bday.

55 Kristy July 6, 2012 at 1:20 am

too cute!! have any cat treats LOL

56 Lia February 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

These treats sound great. I cant wait to make them for my pug. I want to make sure she stays within the proper weight and the store bought treats are horrible for that. I started making my own treats for her. I was wondering about how long do you think these will keep for? Can they be frozen? Thanks.

57 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 8:53 am

hi Lia! I have not tried freezing them, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t be okay? With two dogs, my homemade batches of treats can last about a week around here! I keep them in a ziplock baggie or covered container, baked at room temp and unbaked in fridge. I hope your pug loves them!

58 Christina Mendoza February 7, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi! I just found this wonderful dog treat recipe on Pinterest, and I’ll be re-pinning it! I love that these are healthy, and without wheat, since I don’t think dogs are meant to eat that.

I do have a question about the apple pulp: do you take the seeds out before juicing, or are they included in the pulp and dog treats? I’ve read that apple seeds contain some arsenic, and I’m wondering if this could pose a health risk to the dogs if three apple’s worth of seeds are included. (There was a doctor that called the arsenic from fruit seeds “laetrile” or B-17, and claimed it cured cancer, but the mainstream medical community disagrees.) I’d love to hear your thoughts on this!

59 Kristina Sloggett February 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

hi Christina!

I definitely core the apples and remove seeds if I will be using the pulp – I have heard the same thing, that they can be toxic. I have NOT heard that the toxins could cure anything – I think I will keep removing them prior to juicing!

hope the pup you make these for loves them! :)

Kristina

60 Christina Mendoza February 7, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for your response! We have three big doggies who love treats, and we just got a juicer for Christmas, so I can’t wait to try this out! I love the idea of giving them the benefits of the pulp!