farmers market finds

in Breakfast,grilling,Portland,summertime

Our last farmers market visit wasn’t only about berries (although I am still thinking of the raspberries, and cannot wait for this Saturday to get more!).

Some of our other farmers market finds -

We also sampled several tasty mustard flavors – and brought home our favorites.

Jason wants to use the dill mustard to grill something. I want to eat the garlic mustard with a spoon.

After walking around a bit, I needed breakfast.

The quesadillas made fresh on the spot got my attention – I could not walk by the wonderful smell. I ordered one, then watched the whole process.

Mine is the one in the middle, cooking away…

In a few minutes we had breakfast!

It was amazing. Fresh crisp veggies wrapped in fresh corn masa? Hit the spot!

Perfect with a blueberry lemonade, held high by Jason.

Walking around more, we stopped to watch making of kettle corn:

The caution tape is to keep people back while the corn pops – it flies far!

In action – flipping the kettle!

The kettle corn smelled great.

Other purchases we made included huge beets!

I took a reference photo:

Huge beet! Who could I share this with?

Bunches of beautiful kale

With a price of $1.25 a bunch for beets and kale, I am happy and my fridge is full.

We found beautiful marionberries

and I couldn’t pass them up!

Any fresh ideas for berry recipes? They are going fast, but I know where to find more!

1 Jenn@slim-shoppin August 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Wow, that looks like a great farmers market!

I love the quesadilla – they don’t have that kind of thing at my farmers market.

Your pictures are amazing as usual :)

2 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm

thank you Jenn! <3

3 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Gosh, farmers’ markets just plain rock.
I’m with ya on the mustard – just give me a spoon! YUM!

4 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm

we love all mustard… these are really good! :D

5 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses August 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Aren’t fm’s just the BEST?! I don’t think our prices are much lower than grocery stores, though. I’m not sure why. We’ve been harvesting our own kale this whole summer {which is low} so I couldn’t believe we spend $2.50 for a bunch of kale. It called me with its splendid ruffles, however…just couldn’t pass it up! I forgot to tell you that we also met a garlic grower and he gave us a SWEET deal on garlic bulbs because we told him a friend {that’s YOU} mentioned juicing it!

6 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I wish I had grown kale this year! some things are (seem??) priced lower than the store, and even if not, it’s organic and local, so that’s a plus! :D

yay garlic grower – SO good in juice! XXO

7 lindsay August 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

are you tempting me to come back to Portland to go to this farmers market?? If so, its sooo working!

8 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm

yes!! come back – Basil misses you! <3

9 Kris | iheartwellness.com August 8, 2011 at 6:48 pm

A fresh berry crisp never is wrong in my books….plus eating fresh berries on goat yogurt!!! YUM!

I swoon for goat cheese and mustard too!!

xxoo

10 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love fruit crisp, with extra crisp! ;)

11 Eden August 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Nice dirt ya got there ;)

12 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm

want some??

13 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I always end up salivating whenever I visit a farmers market! Gorgeous produce, who wouldn’t right?

You can try making berry tarts or parfaits? With a “healthy twist” ;)

14 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm

we LOVE the farmers market!! :) mmm, a tart sounds great!

15 Roz@weightingfor50 August 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Your pictures are freakin’ fantastic!!!!! Know what??? I want a goat too!!! But I live in a condo. And our cat wouldn’t be happy! :) One day!!!! Have a great Tuesday.

16 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm

ha – no, the cat wouldn’t be happy, and you probably wouldn’t either when the goat chewed up your condo! ;)

17 hihorosie August 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

What a fun morning at the farmer’s market! Everything looks so good and that quesadilla? Oh my. Snarfalicious! I’ll pass on the baa-goat cheese. Never been a fan. Too goaty. ha ha! But kettle corn? yes please! Fresh beets? uh huh. Kale, juice, berries…goes on and on. That mustard looks so good. I want some of that! But that quesadilla would definitely stop me in my tracks too. Now I’ll be dreaming of it all day. Thanks.

18 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

the quesadilla was amazing. just perfect.

too goaty!! ha – never heard that one! ;) BAAAA.

19 Rivki locker August 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

What a fantastic trip you had. I’m anxiously awaiting fresh local blackberries. I think they’ll be just a couple more weeks.

20 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I bet they will – tis the season! we have a bunch right across the street from our front yard, and I’ve been sampling them occasionally;) they’re finally getting sweet! :D

21 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

And the popcorn hazard … teehee ;)

On the berries: Stuff them into the blender with frozen banana or peaches and some almond milk and make icecream from them!

22 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Mmm, I should make raspberry ice cream when I get more this weekend… :D

23 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Oh, and my dad would make berry liquor, from berries and some sugar and a bottler of liquor. He mixes it all and lets it sit in a big bottle for two weeks (berries have to by covered so they don’t get foul). I once came home in the semester break, and the window sill in my room was full of my dad’s brewing bottles. :D