juice fast – your questions answered

in daily juice

Since coming clean about our juice fast, I have been answering many questions about it. I thought I would address the questions here, and invite more questions anyone may still have.

I also want to emphasize that I am not a medical professional dispensing advice, and anyone contemplating a dietary change should first consult their doctor.

are you getting enough protein?

I have heard doctors, nutritionists, other qualified professionals say there is too much focus on protein. I have been one of these people, always making sure there is a good amount of protein included in each meal and snack. What I have realized is that for short periods of time, I get an adequate amount of protein and other nutrients with a juice fast – broccoli and spinach are both great sources.

Additionally, fresh juice is a highly digestible food that is packed with nutrients, raw enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants. I get healthy fats from avocado or nuts, omegas (flax, chia) – during fast if you do not get adequate fat, your body will be in starvation mode and store fat.

what is grocery shopping like?

I learned very quickly which markets have the most reasonably priced organics. Even more importantly, I learned which markets have the highest quality produce. I stopped the other day at a place on my way home, which thankfully is not my regular market because the produce was sad. Very sad.

Normally the bulk of my shopping is in the produce section anyway, with bulk items and a few things here and there, where I venture into the middle of the store. My shopping now is even more efficient – I have a master list of all the vegetables and fruit we like, and I check what is needed before I leave the house. Portland’s Farmers Markets have been a great source of many of our veggies.

do you use organic, and why?

I buy as much organic as possible, if it looks good. if the non organic looks fresher or what I want isn’t available, I’ll buy non organic. I then make sure to scrub clean (I do this with everything) and in some cases I will take the time to peel the skin. why? little to no chemicals, wax residue or preservatives is a good thing, and the absence of those things also means fresher produce with more nutrients. also, organic pulp can be used things like dog treats and bread – no waste!

even if you are not using organics, juicing is still highly beneficial.

how can I start?

prepare ahead of time. a week or so prior, cut back and stop coffee, alcohol, processed foods, eating as clean as possible.

if you can fast for at least 10 days you will see benefits. the first couple days of a juice fast, your body is processing the food remaining in your digestive system. the next couple of days, your body focuses on the reserves stored in your liver. after 3-5 days, your juice fast really begins!

Start with your favorite fruit and vegetables, so it will be something you want to consume. Gradually move to most if not all vegetables, with one fruit here and there. Plan to shop every few days if possible, or invest in some of those bags that prolong the life of produce. Know where you can find fresh juice away from home – juice bars, restaurants, gyms, even Jamba Juice has fresh juice!

did you have unpleasant reactions?

since I juice regularly anyway, and eat fairly clean much of the time, I did not experience many of the common side effects of a juice fast. some of the possible temporary effects resulting from detoxing include headaches, dizziness, breakouts, feeling tired or lethargic, weight loss. the first couple of days I was a little tired, and in five weeks I have had ONE headache (a happy and positive side effect!). I lost 10 pounds in the first couple weeks, and another 5 since. I am not in the habit of a scale, and I think the weight loss has plateaued.

the positives include increased energy and we feel incredibly healthy and clean!

how do you know what tastes good, do you have a favorite recipe?

I don’t always know what will taste good – trust me, not all of my juices turn out well! I have had to go back and add some pineapple or apple to mask some pretty bad flavors. I happen to be one of those nuts who likes the taste of green, so most things still taste good to me. I am juicing for Jason, too, and while he likes a lot of flavor combinations too, I do try to make things taste good and have a big collection of recipes for all of your juicing needs!

how long will you do this?

I am currently on a 2 week fast, the end of which is timed with an upcoming event. (We have had weddings, house guests, birthdays and other events where we happily broke fast). We are loving this, and are talking about keeping it up long term in some form. I have some great new raw food recipe ideas that I cannot WAIT to incorporate, and will juice regularly, at least once a day.

are you still exercising?

I am! For the first week, it was very little – walking only. Now I am running (or at least faced paced walking!), lifting, most of my regular activities, at about 1/2 to 3/4 intensity depending on the day.

do you juice once a day to drink all day, or several times a day?

the enzymes and nutrients begin to break down immediately, so I drink it immediately and make fresh juice each time to get the most out of my juicing! yes, I know for many, the biggest complaint is having to clean the juicer:

do you clean your juicer each time?

yes, I do clean my juicer each time – I make myself clean it before I can drink my juice, and it really only takes a few more minutes, at most. I have it down to a pretty quick routine now, turning on the hot water as soon as I am done juicing, grab my scrub brush and just clean each piece as I take it apart, and I have a drying mat I stack it all on. after much use and sitting on the drying rack by my kitchen window sometimes in the sun, the pieces have become slightly cloudy over time. this does not affect the juice or juicer at all.

additionally, once or twice a week I’ll run it all through the dishwasher (EXCEPT the plunger – that will melt / lose shape and not fit right after). yes, it can be a pain with what, six pieces plus wiping down the base, but when I think of cleaning dishes and cooking equipment, I think it more than balances out. if you think of how much time you are probably saving, the extra clean up each time might be more manageable? :)

what kind of juicer do you have?

we have the Breville Juice Fountain Plus, which is the same juicer Joe Cross has in the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. Jason and I saw this movie about a week after we began our fast, and it completely validated what we were doing, and gave us even more energy. This is a great movie about a couple different people who changed their health and their lives with a juice fast. Though Jason and I did not have any of the health complications the movie focuses on, nor are we medication-dependent, the film is very inspiring and motivating. It’s on instant Netflix and it’s both entertaining and heart warming.

Please ask any questions, either in the comments or via email.

1 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 10, 2011 at 5:32 am

I would miss chewing. And I find that without enough protein, I can have scads of calories without feeling full… I don’t think I’d ever fast, but it’s interesting to watch you doing it!

I worry about people who do it just for weight loss, however: I suspect some weight comes back when you start eating again…

2 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I am not a gum chewer, and I had a piece today… ;) I have always thought I needed the protein to be satisfied too – this has shown me that isn’t necessarily the case for me… I do blend up some spinach with my juice sometimes, that helps!

you definitely do gain it back after you eat!! :D the first weekend we ate it went back on! we are seeing so many benefits, and the few pounds of weight loss (10+) is a bonus.

3 Kate August 10, 2011 at 5:35 am

Good luck with your juice fast I cant wait to follow it, I have been wanting to do one but I feel like im always hungry when I drink juice!

4 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

thank you!! I am really amazed that I’m not hungry – and that juice actually fills me up! :)

5 Christin@purplebirdblog August 10, 2011 at 6:00 am

You amaze me, girlfriend! I am intrigued by this whole process, though I’m not sure if I have the intestinal fortitude to do it for myself! :)

6 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:34 pm

it definitely isn’t for everyone, I’m glad I have this Iron Gut !! :D

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 10, 2011 at 7:46 am

I sold my juicer on Craigslist last year because any time I made juice it tasted horrible — but that was before I found your blog with all of your beautiful juice recipes! I’ve thought about getting a juicer again.

I am amazed that you have kept this up — for me the prep work/cleaning the juicer would get very tiring — it shows how important this is to you and how good you must feel if you go through all that trouble!

8 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm

thank you Holly!! the positive support from friends like you helps, really! as far as your juicing, what kinds of combinations were you juicing? :( honestly, mine aren’t ALL great, but even the worst ones I can still drink! :D

9 lindsay August 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

what great questions and ultimately, its all about what works best for you! You’ve always had great goals when it comes to juicing. Serves its purpose!

10 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm

thank you Lindsay!! your open mind and support has always been important to me – I’m feeling awesome about how we are approaching this (and if Jason is doing it, that is further proof it’s okay!) and just feel awesome in general! :)

11 lindsay August 10, 2011 at 9:14 am

yay, loved this post! I was just explaining this week to some friends and family about my juice fasting experience (although everyone still thought I was a lil crazy) and then I read your post this morning and had something for them to relate to that wasn’t my own bantering! ha! My dad is especially interested and I think he might try it. :) So excited for him! Since breaking my fast about 10 days ago I’ve had SO MUCH energy and I feel soooooo good!!!! Can’t wait to hear about more of the benefits you are experiencing!!!
xoxo -L

12 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm

oh YAY! I am so happy this helped them see it from another perspective, I’m sure it would work the same way if I showed my family/friends YOUR blog!! ;) and how awesome if your dad tries it!! yeeee! that has been an unexpected benefit – having people tell me I’ve inspired them to do something similar… I LOVE IT!

13 Heather @ girlyeverafter August 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

I went on a juice cleanse using Arden’s Garden and I really liked it compared to other fasts/cleanses I’ve tried. It does take a couple days to get used to, but it’s a really great way to rid your body of “ick”, haha.

14 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I’d not heard of Arden’s Garden – looking at their website now, it looks good! I wouldn’t order juice to be shipped, but some of the other goodies look awesome! I love raw desserts – I may have to order some things… thanks for sharing! :)

15 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh August 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

i LOOVE fresh squeezed juice! I have the jack lalane juicer, and i’m a huge fan..but like all juicers, they are a pain to clean :) all these juices are making me CRAAAVVEE some now

16 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I think the Jack Lalane (R.I.P.!!) is pretty much the same design as the one we have… I think my mom has the Lalane and loves it! yeah, I won’t deny it IS a pain to clean… but I guess it’s worth it to me!

17 Susan (Oliepants) August 10, 2011 at 10:27 am

I’ve done a juice fast and I could not agree more with your answers and you definitely did answer the most relevant questions! Great job girl! :)

18 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm

THANK YOU, SUSAN!! :D your support has been great for me and means a lot!!

19 Aimee August 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

The thing I wonder about is the effects when you go back to eating normally. Seems it would be quiet a shock to the system. Have you heard anything about what happens after? I’m just curious.

20 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm

reintroducing food does not have to be a shock to your system if you do it slowly, and begin with raw or at least whole fresh vegetables and fruit, and start small. “breaking the fast” is just as important as the fast, maybe more so! eating animal, dairy, anything rich right away would most likely have an adverse effect. a friend recently finished a 10 day fast and started with whole veggies and many raw foods, adding grains and other foods slowly, and still has amazing energy! my take on it is if a fast and eating plan after is approached in a wise way all will be fine!

21 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

This is so informative and helpful, Kris. Thanks for sharing what worked for you and your experience and being so open.

The reason I dont juice more is that i HATE juicer cleanup, it takes me forever! I have a Breville Juice Fountain Elite in Stainless steel and it just takes…sooooo long for me to truly get ALL the pulp out of the filter and all the other parts, too. Ugh!

22 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

thank you, Averie! I am glad I shared, most have been very supportive and it only makes it clear to me that my approach has been one that is healthy, not dangerous or starvation in any way… and the fact that people have told me I’ve been a motivator to them? YEEE! I love that. :D

23 Lauren @ Team Giles August 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

This is a fantastic post, so much information. I’ve been talking with the Hubs about us doing more juicing and jumping on the green drink train… I think it’d be good for us.

24 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I was so excited when I declared one Sunday that I was “starting a juice fast tomorrow” and Jason said OKAY! he was doing it too! :D it’s been really great to do with him, where we can support each other, commiserate together and keep each other going.

25 Dorry August 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Interesting to read more about your experience. I could never do this with my schedule right now because I spend very little time at home during the day! Haha. I do enjoy fresh juice from Whole Foods or Daily Juice in Austin every now and then, but they are so pricey so I don’t make it a habit…

I know I’d love many of your creations, however!

26 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm

there have been days that are trickier than others, and we have found restaurants / juice bars along the way… and Jamba Juice makes green juices for us – apparently they used to make them all the time, and are just not on the menu anymore – actual juice from all kinds of veggies! :D

27 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan August 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Wow, good for you! Juice fasts are tough, especially ones that lengthy, so way to go :)

28 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm

thank you Amber!! :D

29 sophia August 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm

To be honest I hate juices! But goodness, all your recent shots of juice just really brightens up my perspective towards them. Interesting Q&A to the juice fast. I always just thought it was a fad, but I’m glad it’s working well for you. :-)

30 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm

thanks, Sophia! I know fresh juicing is an acquired taste for some, so it’s nice to know my photos and recipes at least have you looking at juice more favorably! :) it’s been an interesting and invigorating experience, and one I would do again! the way we did it – with real vegetables and fruit and actually feeling full – is definitely not a fad… I could never do a fast without nutrients (master cleanse kind of thing!) or with a bunch of pills to take…

31 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Great, informational post. I really enjoyed reading this. I don’t have a juicer, but sometimes I sure wish I did. You juice cocktails always look amazing. I’ll admit, however, not sure I could just do juice. Anytime I have something like a protein shake, I never feel satisfied. I want to chew….

32 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm

thank you Heather!! that means A LOT coming from you – I admire your kitchen creativity and your recipes, as well as your approach to fitness and health. and to each their own, I know this isn’t for everyone! :D there have been a couple times we wanted to eat, and most of those times… we ate!! a small part of this is the willpower thing, it’s a good feeling to know I can do this! mainly though we both wanted to go a certain number of days to get a “fasting” benefit, and we have.

33 Roz@weightingfor50 August 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Sounds like it has been excellent for you!!! Not sure if I could do a whole fast, but as I’ve mentioned before, your posts are inspiring me to look out for a juicer!!!! All the best!!!

34 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

thank you, Roz! it has been great in many ways! even before the fast, just having a juicer changed our life! :)

35 Kris @krazy_kris August 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

So interesting! I never thought you were a nut! I’ve given weak attempts at a juice fast a long time ago and couldn’t pull it off. I’m a big believer that it is a great chance to give the body a rest tho. All that nutrient dense enzymatic goodness is so easy to absorb without having to break it down. I’ve been so impressed by the diversity of foods that you’ve been drinking! How else would you get all that good stuff without juicing it? I guess you could cook and chop it but I’m guessing you normally wouldn’t eat 8 carrots, 4 apples, 1pineapple and a bag of spinach in a day And that’s not all you’re having I’m sure! thanks so much for the info and great tips. I’m still threatening to pull mine out :)

36 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm

it IS a great “rest” for your body – I keep forgetting to include that important point! and yes, it would take me forever to eat the volume of fruit and veggies I juice every day! although I am known for annihilating one of those big boxes of spinach in a couple days time… ;)

once you see your friend Fit Stanley juicing, perhaps you’ll want to start! :D

37 Kris @Krazy_Kris August 10, 2011 at 9:41 pm

tick tock…
he’s leavin’ on a jet plane….

all together now!

38 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

heee! :)

39 rivki August 10, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Great post. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

40 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm

you are so welcome, Rivki! thank you as always for reading!

41 eva @5fruitsNveggies August 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm

great post!…just more confirmation why i do it!…
ps i just learned i could juice watermelon rind—tastes like cucumber…bumps up my juice volume by a ton…
ppss another day of a mix of veggie & fruit scraps…carrot peels & stumps, asparagus woody stems, kale ribs, pineapple core, 2 lemons, 8 stalks of celery, a small stub of ginger, a handful of parsley–and no, it does not taste great, but i feel amazing afterwards–always…

42 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm

thank you, Eva! your positive support helps and always makes me smile!!

and, wow! I didn’t know about watermelon – thanks for the heads up! :) I love to save pineapple for the times I’m juicing the beet greens, other things that may not be the best flavor! :)

43 eva @5fruitsNveggies August 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm

i know, i am so excited about watermelon rind—i’ve learned it has tons of chorophyll

44 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 9:38 pm

so awesome – I better get some watermelon while I still can! :D

45 hihorosie August 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm

You’re awesome! Thanks for this helpful post. I’m of the opinion that when it comes to protein, everyone is different. Some need more than others and getting lots o’greens in is key. Anyway, I would love to get back into daily juicing. One day I might venture down the juice fast road. :) And like Eva mentioned above, watermelon rind is awesome! Adds a slight green taste to it. Definitely get organic (of course you know that though) if you decide to juice it.

46 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm

you are so welcome, my friend!! :) I am learning that I do absolutely do not need as much protein as I always thought, so that’s a good thing to come out of this – a specific thing learned in all of the ways I am becoming more in tune to my body and it’s needs! I am so on the watermelon rind – I can just imagine the FRESH flavor it must have!!

47 Rebecca August 11, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’d love to try juicing, but it seems so unaffordable! From buying a decent juicer to buying tons upon tons of fruits and vegetables, I’d have to guess you’re spending a lot more money than you would on regular food. Can you prove me wrong (please)?

48 spabettie August 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

for us, honestly the bill is about the same, some weeks LESS. we dine out a fair amount, so that’s gone right now. also, no beer or alcohol purchases. no extras (my beloved gummi bears!) and some produce we find (farmers markets) pretty inexpensive. organics are more, but juicing can still be VERY beneficial without organic. a juicer is expensive, sure, but if you are wanting one, maybe look on eBay or craigslist? OR – ask if anyone you know has one that you can borrow if they are not using it, to see if it is something you’d want to invest in!

49 Megan August 11, 2011 at 11:40 am

I always find the “Are you getting enough protein?” inquiry to be so silly (and very uneducated). Most Americans get far too much protein! It puts such a strain on the kidneys, causing calcium excretion in urine, increasing the risk of osteoperosis (especially since most of us have the false “Dairy is Good for you” complex).
Now, my question is, what about fats?? Juice is basically sugar and proteins… isn’t two weeks going a long time without fats? And what about those who do juice fasts for 1, even 2 months??

Also, I’m guessing no defecation during juicing? :p

50 spabettie August 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

hallelujah, Megan! so SO right about protein consumption – and going through this juice fast made me realize I was doing this too, to an extent (I made sure I had protein with everything I ate, and looking back now, sometimes it was excessive!).

fats! I have been adding an avocado (juice, then add juice to blender and make a smoothie with avocado, spinach, etc…) for fat. I also have been taking my coromega supplement and or flax. I would hope the people fasting for a month or two are taking in natural fats, or their body will begin to store fat (starvation mode!).

first time talking poo on the blog! ;) the first several days your body is processing contents of digestive system, then liver stores, then… it’s less. I am still getting fiber (when I blend in place of or in addition to juicing – spinach, avocado, the random banana…) so I am still… working.

51 Pure2raw twins August 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

this was so helpful!!! thank you! I have this bookmarked so when I do a juice cleanse next I will have a good reference thank you!

52 spabettie August 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

thank YOU – I’m glad you found it helpful and will use as a reference! it’s been a GREAT learning experience for both of us and we’re committed to doing them regularly.

53 S. August 11, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I will try that soon! I just finished 2 weeks fasting with broth only. I guess you just have to have the right mind set about it and strong will power. Love fasting and this seems to be a welcome spin! Interesting that most people I talk to refer to it as “death diet” – hard to convince people that this is actually pleasant once you get past the first 2 days. And I realized that with every time it’s getting easier …. Keep it up!

54 janetha @ meals & moves August 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thank you for such a thorough post! I am really curious about this and am for sure Netflixing that movie. xo

55 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm

you are very welcome! even if it doesn’t lead to a full on fast (and it does not need to!), the movie is a REALLY GOOD one! so inspiring, and Joe Cross is a likable guy who tells it like it is. :D

56 The Cilantropist August 14, 2011 at 9:02 am

So glad to hear about your experiences, Joy from Joylicious was doing a juice fast recently too, and between the two of you I think I have a clear idea now about what it entails and how best to go about doing it. No time for a juice fast in my life now, but definitely trying it out in the near future! Thanks for sharing!

57 spabettie August 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

you are so welcome! this has been a great experience for us, energizing and we have learned a lot! we will definitely be doing these a couple times a year, and have continued juicing as a regular daily thing. if you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

58 Nikko August 25, 2011 at 11:56 am

Hi, I recently found your blog and am completely convinced I need this juice fast. I’ve attempted to start yesterday, and drank 2 cups of juice which were soooo good but I found it really difficult to keep going. The juices taste great but I get these awful pangs in my stomach that I couldn’t resist eating something. I have started again today and vowed not to eat and only stick to juices. I’m really curious as to how you do it. Do you drink another glass when you feel like your stomach is begging for food?

Also, about the fats, I don’t know how to incorporate that into the juices. I dislike avocados, is there something else I can use, like avocado oil? Or how do I use nuts with the juices?

I appreciate any input and advice you can give!

59 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm

hi Nikko! happy to help in ANY way I can! :) I usually drink enough (often a WHOLE pitcher size, the pitcher that comes with my juicer, about 45-5- ounces) so I am usually FULL after drinking that, and it lasts a while. If I get hungry, yep, I make another juice. I drink a lot of water. Sometimes I’d actually eat an apple. Part of the idea of a fast is to “give your body a break” from digestion, so eating an apple goes against that, but you have to think about why YOU are doing this, and adapt, come up with your own rules. If you’re doing this more for a “cleanse”, eating an apple or some raw veggies won’t hurt. As far as feeling hungry – what are you juicing? I try to do one fruit to 3, 4, even 5 veggies for the nutrients and less sugar. I don’t know if that makes a difference in my feeling full, but maybe?

Fats, there are plenty of things you can do, yes avocado oil, or a flax oil, you can add it right to your juice, a tablespoon or so. I add raw nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios, whatever you like) to the blender… I make juice through the juicer, then pour that juice into the blender with a handful of nuts, it will be more of a smoothie with some pieces, but it’s GOOD! You can also take a supplement to get omegas.

Hope this helps, PLEASE let me know if you have any other questions, and also check in to let me know how you are doing!! :)

Kristina

60 Nikko September 6, 2011 at 12:58 am

Sorry for such a late reply but thank you sooo much for your answers to my questions. I hit a bump earlier and couldn’t go through with my juicing plans as too many dining out days could not be avoided but now I’m ready to do this! I just finished running through all your posts and made a word doc of every juice recipes you gave for easier access and can’t wait to taste them all eventually. I have only 1 more question: you mentioned flax oil. Can I blend flax seeds right into the juice after juicing or will that not provide the same benefits as flax oil? Thanks again for being such an inspiration.

61 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:48 am

no problem, Nikko! as far as the flax seeds, YES that works! flax seeds are the freshest form of oil, and have more benefits (when crushed), including higher omega 3, more fiber. they generally cost less, also – I buy in small amounts so they do not go rancid. if you start to use on a daily basis, you’ll eventually see how much you go through, so you can buy accordingly.

you are SO welcome!! please continue to ask any questions, and keep in touch with how things are going, or if you just need some motivation! take care, great to hear from you!

62 Darren September 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

thanks for all this. very in depth and helpful (we are thinking of purchasing a juicer and I googled types and found you!!) and I will return visit for recipes. thanks

63 Felicia October 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much for your great blog and candid answers on juice fasting. My husband and I, too, just watched “Fat Sick & Nearly Dead” two weeks ago and are now awaiting delivery of our Breville juicer (sold out at department stores in our neighborhood!).

I’ll be checking your blog often for the awesome recipes! Thank you!

64 spabettie October 20, 2011 at 8:46 am

hi Felicia! I am so happy you found this Q + A and that it was helpful! that movie certainly is inspiring, and I’m excited for your juicer to arrive! keep in touch and let me know how things are going, PLEASE let me know if you have any questions I can help with! :D

65 Chantal November 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

I just recieved my juicer this morning, I am very excited to have found your inspiration!! came right home and made a juice immediately, now I am reading your juicing guides and planning! very excited thank you!!

, Chantal

66 spabettie November 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

you are SO welcome, Chantal! if you EVER have any questions about anything, please let me know! and check in to let me know how things are going too! Cheers!

67 Christine January 3, 2012 at 5:04 pm

thank you SO MUCH for this!! we splurged on a juicer (and hopefully won’t be “splurging” on vegetabes!) and I am interested in a fast. not to loose weight, just to wean from caffeine and sugars.

I had so many questions and you have answered them all, thank you. I am printing your recipes now, and cannot wait to try one in the morning.

thanks for being a great resource,
Christine and Ron Ballard

68 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:42 am

hi Christine, you are welcome! thanks for getting in touch and saying hello – good luck with your juicing, and if you do have any other questions, PLEASE ask.

69 Meg January 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm

How often do you eat the healthy fat foods during a juice fast?

70 spabettie January 20, 2012 at 10:28 am

hi Meg – during my juice fast, I take an omega supplement each day, and I included chia seeds in at least one juice per day. I also blended whole avocado into juice – it was more like a smoothie – and ate raw nuts.

71 Rich January 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I am beginning a fast and feel much confidence now reading this, thank you bettie, you have covered all questions and concerns I was having.

best,

Rich

72 Hass February 1, 2012 at 4:32 am

I am grateful to have found you, and your wealth of information on juicing. you can tell from your posts, recipes and photos that you have truly found your calling and your passion.

I have begun a cleanse, based on your story and your guidance, I am doing well. thank you,

Joe Hass

73 Atlanta February 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm

my dad is battling cancer currently. we are juicing together, and have used you as a recipe and information resource, you have been invaluable!

thank you so much.

Atlanta and Greg Sr.

74 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

hi Atlanta,

sorry to hear about your Dad’s cancer – I send you both positive healing thoughts! Juicing is an amazing thing for anyone, and especially healing for people going through cancer treatment!

thank YOU for reaching out – it is heartwarming to hear that my juicing journey is helping another at such an important time!

blessings, Kristina

75 Jane February 3, 2012 at 7:20 pm

juicing has changed my LIFE!! thank you for all of your help, I just had to tell you.

best,

Jane K

76 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

oh, WOW. thank you so much, Jane, this means a great deal. if you ever have any questions, please ask!

77 Alina February 5, 2012 at 2:19 am

thank you for this information, you really covered all of my questions. I look forward to receiving my juicer and Joe Cross video, it has been a pleasure emailing you about all of this. THANK YOU!

78 Karl February 6, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I am researching and planning a fast of my own, and found you! thank you for all of this information. your photos are lovely as well, and I can’t wait to try your recipes!

79 Sara February 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm

what type is your juicer?

80 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

hi Sara, for a couple years I used a centrifugal juicer (Breville Juice Fountain Plus), and now I have a masticating juicer (Angel), which I prefer for many reasons – more efficient (less pulp, more juice), better for greens and it juices wheatgrass, juice lasts longer if needed.

81 Brandi February 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

thanks for all of this – you DID answer every single question I have LOL !

82 Matt and Mark February 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm

girl Mark made me come here to ask a question. if we do juice only all day and have dinner, is that good? that’s how you used to do, right? Mark wants to do this. ;)

83 Matt and Mark February 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

we are doing great, three whole days!! XO

84 Pete February 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

good egg. thanks for all this info, very thorough.

85 Brian March 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

thanks for all this, I am begin a fast this weekend.

86 spabettie March 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm

you are so welcome, Brian! enjoy!

87 Karol March 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

fasts are dangerous and ineffective. I used to love this website

88 Laura April 7, 2012 at 11:34 am

what juicer you use?

89 Jeri April 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm

we are completing our 40 day cleanse, and have YOU to thank! we feel great, and will be continue the healthy foods. Bless! Jeri and Mark Kontrona

90 Weight Loss April 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great Website!!

91 Anna June 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm

So do you eat nuts during the fast?
Love your advice!

92 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 8:11 am

we did, just because I was still actively working out, and needed a little extra something. I wanted some good fats too. we made the cleanse our own, with our own rules, and I think we were able to go longer and get more out of it that way. :)

93 Jocelyn August 10, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thank you for writing about your juicing! I am intrigued and thinking about trying a juice fast. I have a Vita-mix blender, though, but I am not thinking anything would be different, just that I am consuming everything that goes in.
PS do you add chia seeds or flax seeds into your juicer?

94 spabettie August 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

hi Jocelyn!

using your Vita Mix will be fine, it will result in more of a smoothie, as the whole fruit/veggie will be included, so you will get the added benefit of fiber. a juicer is different, as it extracts the juice, and the idea of a “fast” is to give your digestive system a break from digesting – juice alone doesn’t have much “breaking down” to go through. but YES – just as I made my “fast” my own, using your Vita will be fantastic, and you will achieve the awesome benefits, nutritionally, energetically, all of that! (I am getting excited for you, can you tell?) :)

I have not added chia or flax to my juicer – but I do often add to my smoothies, so I would definitely say go ahead!

let me know how it goes for you – cheers!

95 Wayne Kennedy October 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm

My wife and I are on day three of a planned ten day fast. I will say to those of you contemplating this, it is harder then it seems. I find myself thinking of food all the time!! However I feel better already and plan on juicing for a long time in my future! We are using the Breville as well. I recommend everyone see the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead if you need that extra push to buy a juicer! Good luck to all of you that are going for it!

96 spabettie November 4, 2012 at 9:32 pm

that is a good point and reminder, Wayne – especially the first few days of a fast, you really think about food. we found it does get easier though, I hope that is the same experience you and your wife are having? that movie is a great one – we have watched it more than once! hope things are going well for you two! cheers, Kristina

97 froggiealicia March 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

I am overwhelmed to say the least. A friend of mine has lost 20 lbs juicing in intervals. She began with juice fast, will eat pretty healthy on weekends then resume 3-5 day juice fast in between. I’m on my second day, but after speaking with her feel like I messed up because I’ve been adding chia seeds to my juices and will get a piece of raw fruit with 6 almonds when my stomach is growling. I’m 20 lbs overweight and really want to lose it, but do it in a healthy manner. So…can I add flax or chia and if so how often and what about raw fruit and eating nuts? Please help.

98 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:26 am

hello!

first off, please do not feel like you’ve done anything wrong or that you messed up! you are doing just fine – the major thing I try to stress to people is if this is no fun you will not stick with it! I also encourage you to make your own rules – there is no one way to do this – adding chia to your juice is a GOOD thing! it will only increase the nutrients and make it even better for you, and it will add to the staying power, keeping you satisfied longer. also, eating raw fruit and almonds is GREAT as well – not at all a bad thing! I often had a handful of raw almonds or cashews when I was hungry or just wanted something to chew.

you are doing GREAT, no reason to feel overwhelmed! this can still help you achieve your goal – you do not have that much to lose in the overall big picture, you know? if you are feeling very hungry, eating something is good, this is not about depriving yourself. when I consume juice only, I drink A LOT of juice to stay satisfied – and often ate fruit, dried fruit (dates and apricots!), vegetables and nuts.

make up your own rules so you are happy with this!

99 marie berry March 28, 2013 at 11:58 am

I have a question. I just started my juicing fast. I plan on remaining on it for at least 10-15 says. During this time can I eat raw fruits and vegetabales during the day between meal drinks? Do you have to consume only juice for fast to work? How man ounces are recommended a day for beginners?

Thanks,
MARIE

100 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:15 am

hi Marie,

there are so many variables, and when I complete a fast I do so with my own rules. so to say a fast will “work” you need to look at your goals for doing the fast – what are your reasons?

my goals for my fast were to “get clean” – I know how good I feel when I eat clean, and I had been eating processed and heavy foods. on my fast, I drink mostly juice, but if I was hungry I may eat a handful of raw almonds or cashews, or even a raw salad. (this makes it more of a “raw food cleanse”). I was not super strict and I still realized my goals.

a “true” juice fast is one where after the first 3 days or so, your body has finished processing the food remaining in your digestive system, and gets a break because all you are doing is drinking juice – very easy on the digestive system. so if that is your goal, juice is the way to go.

I encourage people to make their own rules – if you are more satisfied you have a better chance of completing the “cleanse”.

101 froggiealicia April 28, 2013 at 5:38 pm

If my goal is to detox as well as losing weight should I just juice with no added raw produce or nuts? I added a piece of raw fruit and few raw nuts between meals because I was starving and had no energy.

102 Dave April 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I started juice fast, today is my six day consist of just veggies and apples all day , should i start putting protein powder in my juice? so i wont go on starvation mode cuz my goal is to go for 2 months

103 lupe May 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Can you snack while juicing if you can what do you recommend?

104 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 8:13 am

you absolutely can, I do not follow any strict rules. I would say make it your own thing, I will not give any actual dietary advice. I can tell you that when I am juicing, I enjoy snacks like raw cashews and almonds (great protein source), raw veggies and fruit.

105 Joy June 4, 2013 at 6:20 am

I followed a friends advice and got the same Breville juicer a couple months ago and I love it! I juice every morning for my son and I but time constraints we have not done a juice fast. I have noticed an improvement in my skin and hair and don’t feel the need for caffeine like I used to, and sweets really turn me off these days… Can’t remember the last time I wanted chocolate.
You mentioned the cleaning part, and I don’t think that it’s that bad. I get up every morning and juice before my son leaves for work, I juice and clean in like 20 min then sit and enjoy my creation before I get ready for work. Best hint, put a bag in the waste receptical (or as we refer to it, the compost container) and it makes things so much easier! Great blog! Thanks for some really interesting info!

106 Kristina Sloggett June 16, 2013 at 10:21 pm

hi Joy! glad to hear you are enjoying your juicing! you definitely do not need to fast to enjoy the many MANY benefits! fresh juice does replace the need for caffeine, and I know the feeling of craving CLEAN foods rather than sugar or heavier foods – just doesn’t sound good.

once you get into your routine, it is not a big deal to clean the juicer, and I always clean it before I enjoy my juice :)

Cheers!