envy apples

in product review,snacks

my favorite market will slice open a piece of fruit for you to sample if you ask. sometimes they just offer!

I stumbled upon these huge apples called Envy Apples, and after having a most delicious sample slice, I filled a bag and came scampering home.

a hybrid of the Braeburn and the Royal Gala’s best features, the Envy is grown in New Zealand, where it was researched and created, and as close to me as Washington State, my neighbor to the North.

for comparison, I set one next to a normal sized gala.

I chopped one up as soon as I arrived home

ate it

and I am currently full and happy.

they will cost you more, but you get at least double the apple. in my opinion, worth it. these taste great.

what is your favorite apple?

have you ever had an Envy?

1 Kris @Krazy_Kris August 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Never heard of them! Me? I’m a braeburn (sp?) girl – but I will hunt for some envy… that just sounds so right – ha!

2 spabettie August 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

they are SO good. definitely keep your eye out, it’s a MEAL of an apple! ;)

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I just posted to my instagram/twitter/FB feed that I bought a bag of Fuji’s and that fall is in the air.

I love fuji’s overall. Very consistent, crunchy, sweet. I hate mushy apples! ick! and i dont like too tart, either. Must be sweet and nice and crisp.

4 spabettie August 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm

ew, I’m with ya, can’t stand the mushy! I like tart apples, too, and sweeter ones for juicing. hope you had a great weekend, Averie!

5 Rivki Locker August 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I have never heard of these, but I am intrigued. My favorite is the Gala apple, so these sound right up my alley. Yum.

6 spabettie August 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Rivki, if you like Galas you’ll LOVE these! they are so tasty!

7 katie August 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Hi love! I have missed you!

I have never even heard of these kind of apples, and I am envious that you got to try one! haha! I will have to see if I find these at the store !

xoxo <3

Hope you , your husband, and Basil had a great weekend!

8 spabettie August 21, 2011 at 9:15 pm

hey girl – glad you had an awesome weekend – catching up on everyone’s summit posts! :D you need to look for the Envy, you’d love it! XXO

9 hihorosie August 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

We’ve been munching on galas lately (sometimes fuji) but haven’t come across an envy yet – of course, haven’t been looking. Now I will!

10 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

oh, if you find an Envy, buy one! so SO good… (I am starting to feel weird, like I’m affiliated with them or something!) :D

11 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 22, 2011 at 4:00 am

I love apples! And I love to try different kinds! Usually, my favorites are the juicy and a bit sour kinds (I also like Pink Lady sugar bombs every now and then, though ;)). I don’t know whether you know those varieties, because I think some of them (or all?) are old German kinds:

- Elstar (my favorite!)
- Jonagored (second fave)
- Gloster

12 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

yep, have not heard of any of those! I’d like them, though, if they are more on the tart flavor, those are my favorites too.

13 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 22, 2011 at 5:44 am

You know, I just saw those in the store yesterday. I’m really weird about apples though. Up until about a year ago, I wouldn’t eat anything other than Granny Smith. I found that I do like Honeycrsip and Pink Lady though.

14 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I am weird about apples too – no mush, they HAVE to be crisp, and not too sweet. I like a tart green apple, or one that’s crisp and sweet in the perfect way!

15 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel August 22, 2011 at 6:24 am

I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard of that variety but there are SO many out there it wouldn’t surprise me if I truly hadn’t heard of it up till now. My all time favorite is cortland – they’re similar to macs but way better lol. Of course thats my own opinion but seriously they’ve heavely and from the local farm they’re HUGE. I’m dying for them to be ready… probably a few more weeks to go before that happens then my butt will be there to get a gigantic bag full. :)

16 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm

that’s how I feel about these – they are SO good and I filled up a big bag… and can’t wait to get more! :)

17 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen August 22, 2011 at 6:24 am

Sounds like MY store…and my first experience with an Envy. Seriously, the best apple I have ever tasted.

[And I love working where I do because the produce guys LOVE to get out their knives and share delicious fruit with you. :)]

18 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I REALLY want your job. I’m seriously thinking about trying to find one like it. :D

19 Cookin' Canuck August 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

These sounds wonderful – I have never come across the Envy before.

20 spabettie August 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I hadn’t either – I hope they stick around a while! :)

21 MA September 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I have been juicing for several months and have been putting about 3 or 4 Red Delicious apples in with my veggies. I stumbled on Envy a couple of weeks ago and decided to give them a try. They really made a difference in how the juice tasted. The juice is always good, but it was really good with the Envy apples! They are more expensive, but it is definitely worth it!

22 spabettie September 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm

so worth it – they are the size of TWO apples and SO delicious!

23 Donna September 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I just happened to stumble across the Envy apple at our local Wal-Mart. Sort of pricey, but got a couple anyway. They were everything I want in an apple.

24 Donna September 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I just happened to stumble across the Envy apple at our local Wal-Mart. Sort of pricey, but got a couple anyway. They were everything I want in an apple–crisp and crunchy.

25 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

everything I want in an apple – yes! crisp, crunchy, not TOO sweet… and huge, right? a whole meal.

26 Maureen October 3, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Purchased two ENVY apples when I was about two hours from home. Now I am on a mission to find some near Miami. Any suggestions?

27 spabettie October 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm

hmm, Maureen I am not familiar with Miami… but I DID see some Envy apples just today at our local store… it is what some call a “gourmet” grocer, a local version of a Whole Foods, maybe? I would go to some of the stores in your area and ask? Good luck, I hope you are able to find some, aren’t they delicious?

28 Wendall October 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Maureen…you can find them at any Publix. Just picked up a second bag there. Delicious!

29 Jet January 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

Eating one right now! Just found them at the grocery store on Saturday. Mmm, mmm good!

30 Kristina Sloggett January 7, 2013 at 7:21 pm

oh, wow – what area of the country are you in?? I need to see if I can find them – they are here for such short times! enjoy!

31 tyler January 21, 2013 at 12:30 am

i love this apples i just want to know if i can find them at a better price i cant stop eating then i really would like to know if i could but in bulk at a good price contacted envy apples seeing what they are going to say this apples r so good

32 melva February 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Honeycrisp is my favorite apple. I saw Envy apples a the store today and got some…they are very good.
Melva

33 Janie February 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Stumbled upon the Envy apple at our local Sam’s Club. Thought they were pricey BUT not when you taste them! I’m on my 3rd bag and hate to think when they won’t be available anymore! They are the BEST apple I ever ate and I eat a lot of them! If anyone knows where we can order by box let me know..thanks!

34 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

exactly how I feel – the taste is worth the price! plus, they are usually HUGE, so its almost like a meal? ;) that is a great idea – I never thought to look for a place to order them… if I find one I will definitely share!