Down to Earth on the Street of Dreams

in Breakfast,daily juice,Portland,restaurants,Vegan

Last weekend we did two things we’ve done before – one we go to each year, and the other, seemingly each weekend. Our annual Street of Dreams is going on all month, and it is an event I look forward to every year. The homes are beautiful, and many close to or over a one million price tag. Dreams, indeed. What I love most are the accessories, and this year I found a few things I would love to have in my own home.

I really want this side table, it just looks fun. Do you like tic tac toe?

I also love these plates – and we’ve been needing to buy new ones.

Aren’t they beautiful?

Crowns on pillows would round out my collection, so many more great accessories – too many to post here, and hanging out in the pantry with Paula Deen. It was a great tour this year!

After touring the homes, it was lunchtime. Jason really wanted falafel. I remembered that our newest favorite neighborhood place, Down to Earth Cafe, was more of a Persian menu after breakfast, so off we went!

We started with fresh juice, the same order as our last: Jason had the Down to Earth Medley – apple, beet, carrot and ginger.

I chose the Drink Your Veggies and Fruit - carrot, apple, lemon, spinach, pineapple and walnuts. So good, again!

Jason was able to get his falafel – a vegetarian sandwich of falafel patties with tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, Tzatziki sauce, crumbled feta on  pita bread. He loved it!

I went for something I have been thinking about since our last visit, the Vegan Tofu Scramble – firm tofu, mushrooms, red onions, zucchini, tomatoes, spinach, topped with avocado; with salsa; home fries and pita.

This was as amazing as it looks! (as amazing as it can look with a smart phone camera…). I love a good tofu scramble, and they do it right. Once again, Down to Earth made me happy.

We love this place. Everyone is super nice, the food is always excellent, warm and comfortable atmosphere. There is that one thing, but I will gladly overlook that and continue to enjoy!

Do you have a favorite restaurant that you frequent?

Do you have a tour of homes event in your area, or have you been to one?

Down To Earth Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 24, 2011 at 5:34 am

We live in a historic district and I’d love to see some of the homes around me. And you’re just teasing me with that restaurant you know ;-)

2 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m just a big tease… if you come to Portland I’ll take you there! ;)

3 katie @KatieDid August 24, 2011 at 5:45 am

You MUST get those plates, I’m in love. And it’s so great that your significant other shares your desire to eat healthy, and go on this ‘juice journey’ with you. He seems so supportive!

4 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

yep, I do think I should have those plates. ;) Jason is loving this journey just as much as me, I am incredibly lucky he is open minded (I’m lucky with him for SO many reasons, that is just one…) :)

5 Kris @Krazy_Kris August 24, 2011 at 6:46 am

Ooooh – I’ve never done one of those home tours – but what treasures you discovered! And yes – the pillow with the crown is priceless , princess :)

6 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm

hee – a perfect pillow for me, don’tcha think? :D

7 Stephanie August 24, 2011 at 7:38 am

I could eat falafel in a pita and play tic-tac-toe all day long!

8 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

meeee tooooo! :D

9 Amanda August 24, 2011 at 9:03 am

I love touring homes, simply for getting ideas for when we buy a house! That tic tac toe table is adorable. I really like it!

I’ve never had a tofu scramble but that looks delicious! Anything with avocado and I’m sold.

10 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm

isn’t the table fun? I think I need it. ;) tofu scrambles are GOOD – as long as you add enough flavorful veggies, spices like turmeric (then they LOOK like eggs too!) and yep – anything topped with avocado is good! :D

11 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 24, 2011 at 9:24 am

I loooooooooooooove those plates!! omgggg… I would love an event like that! When I lived in Calgary, my bf at the time and I would dress up and go house shopping at the million dollar homes! It was fun to play the part! :)

12 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I know, I want the plates!! :D

13 lindsay August 24, 2011 at 9:28 am

looks like a fun place! I love that table too. Kinda vintage kinda new age.
Cute!

p.s.
you look so happy, it makes me happy!

14 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I know – I just love that table! :D and thank you – lots of happy lately! XXO

15 Dorry August 24, 2011 at 9:39 am

I would definitely want to frequent the Down to Earth Cafe! There are a couple of places within walking distance of our home that we love to go for date nights. Taverna – Italian restaurant, but has the most amazing pan-roasted salmon I’ve ever had, and Ziziki’s – a Greek Mediterranean place with delicious hummus, and also delicious grilled salmon. I’m a salmon fanatic if you didn’t know. :)

16 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm

DORRY!! come to Portland, I will take you there. ;)

17 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm

tour of homes events are so fun! i love love love things like that!

18 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I do too… we go every year, and in college I was the decorator’s assistant – SO fun! :D

19 Jen@foodfamilyfitness August 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

L.O.V.E. the plate!!!!
Anything with Tzatziki sauce rocks my world.

20 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm

oooh, yep – tzatziki is a favorite for me too! I want the plates… :D

21 Barbara | Creative Culinary August 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Yes and Yes.

We have the annual Denver Parade of Homes. I’ve seen some spectacular homes with amenities that are out of control. So I quit going. :)

I love my home…I hated that I would come home and it seemed so puny in comparison, even if the homes I had just been in were not really normal people homes at all. They were rock star homes…and what a waste for a rock star. I know I would take better care of it. :)

Ya Ya’s. My Cheers.

22 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:37 pm

haa - I completely know what you mean, Barbara!! that’s why I focus on the accessories and some furniture – things that are not too ostentatious ;) and I think ours, while they are still definitely over the top, are kindof coming around to the times… last year there was an “affordable” home, that was NOT in the 8-900,000 price range, it was under 320, if I recall. and they’re going away from all the big in home theaters, gyms, pools, wine cellars, elevators… (although I’d LOVE a wine cellar!). I still love to go tour them, with perspective ;)

23 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 24, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love that you post pictures of yourself on your blog more often now! You look so happy, and somehow I want to cuddle you now. :)

The dachshund pics are lovely, and the plates … *sigh* I wonder they used actual flowers to make those prints (I know that’s not the right word, but gah I lack vocabulary!) – I just love special things, especially if they’re hand-made! :D May I visit you some day, so we can dine from these plates together? :)

I must admit that I don’t have a favorite restaurant, because I don’t eat out a lot (money …), and most restaurants aren’t too Paleo friendly. (Okay, the latter is due to my nerdiness.) I often have a problem with the amount of salt that’s used in most restaurants, it’s just too much for me. :?

24 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I love the way you use words, and actually, YES it is the right word! :) I am not sure if it really is pressed flowers, but… oh my, I just love them! :D I love handmade things too… especially the things Jason made (ceramics degree!). YES, please visit! if I do not have these plates by then, and cannot locate them, I will MAKE some, just for your visit! (this is something else I want, a wheel and kiln in my garage…)

YES to the salt thing, WOW – one thing Jason and I notice a lot after doing the juice fast – the salt! I use very little in my cooking, and THIS restaurant is good, but… some places … just wow! :D

25 Roz@weightingfor50 August 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm

OMG….those plates are GORGEOUS!!! I want them!!! :) Glad Down to Earth came through again!!! My husband and I are going to our favorite, never fail restaurant with friends tomorrow. Can’t wait. Have a great Thursday!!!!! (love the doggie prints too – Hi Basil)

26 spabettie August 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm

hi Roz! are those plates not the best!? I so want them, need to track them down! and yes, we both LOVE Down to Earth… so good! happy Thursday to you, too, and enjoy your meal out with friends! *Basil says hello :D

27 Shirley @ gfe August 25, 2011 at 4:38 am

So many, many pretties–fun!! From a pure visual appreciation, Jason’s juice appeals to me the most. :-) And LOL on that one thing … it makes their place memorable for something other than the great food, doesn’t it? ;-)

xo,
Shirley

28 Pure2raw Twins August 25, 2011 at 5:28 am

Never been to a tour of homes, always want to but never go. I love the places!!!!! And there is not really a favorite restaurant where I live that I would say is my favorite, so… does starbucks count haha

29 Drusilla September 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm

those plates are too cute, you need to get them!

30 Farrah September 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

looks like fun – we have a parade of homes I used to go to, have not for some years now. I love that tictactoe table – fun!

31 hihorosie September 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I always seem to pass up the house of dreams tours – maybe next year? ;) And I want that pillow! For my collection of course. ha ha! I have a velvet pillow with gold tassles and a crown with my name. I am a queen after all. The food and juices look AMAZING! And great pic of you!

32 spabettie September 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

YES great pillow, right?? I do a double take for anything with a crown on it… and this place!! it’s our new favorite – we go on weekends. almost all weekends. ;)