kohlrabi cure all

in daily juice

Between my three awesome days with 250 vegans and Jason flying all day Monday, somehow we both have the flu! For two people who rarely get sick, at least we’re in it together.

My mom brought me some veggies from her garden the other day, and I was intrigued by the kohlrabi. I have never cooked with it, and you know, especially since our juice fast, I try to juice anything.

As I was cleaning and chopping it, I did eat a slice – crunchy and fresh tasting, reminding me of jicama. It would make a great addition to a salad, I like crunch in my salads. I’m also thinking marinated, roasted or (baked) fries?

For now, though, juice it is. Kohlrabi is dense, but produces a good amount of juice! Adding cold and flu fighters like garlic, lemon and beet, this is a tasty elixir.

kohlrabi cure all

serves two

1 large kohlrabi, scrubbed and sliced
2 apples, currently using Red Delicious
1 lemon, peeled
1 golden beet
6 large carrots
1 raw garlic clove, peeled

Juice and drink immediately.

Then take a nap and wish you were still running around with 250 vegans, eating amazing food and bonding over substantial workshops.

Have you cooked with kohlrabi? What else can I do with it?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 2, 2011 at 5:31 am

I’ve never even had kohlrabi. Another blogger I follow has posted several recipes with it though

2 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I’m getting a couple ideas, but I’d love more… and would LOVE to see this blog? I must not read it, because I’d have been all over the kohlrabi! :)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Dawn at Florida Coastal Cooking

4 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

THANK YOU, my friend!

5 Lacey September 2, 2011 at 6:00 am

I have heard of it but never tried, so I’m curious as to what others say as well! It looks kinda pretty. Juice sounds lovely, as always!

6 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

thank you, Lacey!! I’ll share any kohlrabi ideas people share – I’ve gotten a few!

also, I just replied to your LOVELY email – THANK YOU so much, you are such a dear! I hope you guys have a fantastic trip! <3

7 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} September 2, 2011 at 6:29 am

Get better soon! I’m sure loads of your healthy and beautiful juices will help!

8 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

that’s my plan! ;) thanks, Krista – have a great weekend!!

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 2, 2011 at 6:42 am

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten kohlrabi!

I hope you and Jason both feel better soon!

10 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

thank you, Holly!! a relaxing weekend is in order, hope you guys have a great one!

11 katie @KatieDid September 2, 2011 at 6:52 am

I’ve never eaten kohlrabi or even seen it ?! How else can you cook with it?? I’ll be curious if others comment about how they like to eat it.

12 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

katie, I’ve gotten a couple ideas / recipes so far… I tweeted asking people to link, we’ll see what comes up! I’ll share any ideas I get, it seems most have not heard of or cooked with it, so there may not be many! I’ll ask my mom too, since she gave it to me!

Happy weekend to you!!

13 Jess September 2, 2011 at 7:44 am

Funny you ask – we’ve tried it for the first time since it comes in our CSA deliveries pretty often and neither of us had ever seen it or tried it before! So far the only way I’ve made it is roasted with garlic and parm cheese sprinkled on at the end. Pretty tasty! I could use more ideas though, hehe

14 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:53 am

someone else made it the exact same way – I’m definitely going to have to try that! I put it out to twitter, asking for more recipes, and just got a link here in the comments for an Energy Burrito – looks awesome! I’ll post all the ideas / recipes I get…

15 JL goes Vegan September 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

Oh no! Feel better soon. I haven’t even heard of this — very intrigued!

16 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

thank you, JL! and I’m excited to experiment with the kohlrabi… it’s pretty good! :)

17 Lisa September 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

This sounds very therapeutic! :)

I have never cooked with kohlrabi, but this is the second time this week I’ve seen it on a blog! I am going to have to check out what I’m missing :)

18 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

that’s what I’ve been hearing, either people have not tried it, or they’re just getting it for the first time, in their CSA or something… I’ve gotten a couple ideas here in the comments, I’m hoping more will share!

19 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well! And no, I have never even heard of kohlrabi…how do you say it, phonetically?

20 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

coal-robby, I think! ;) (please correct me if anyone knows different!!) :D and thank you!! the plan is to relax by the pool this weekend, I think it’s supposed to be HOT here! have a great weekend, Lindsay!

21 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 2, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Thanks! We plan to get some things done around the house and then hike on Monday!

22 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

sounds nice – have a great hike!

23 Susan September 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

I just tried kohlrabi for the first time! It came in my CSA box. They gave us a great looking soup recipe for it, but I don’t do many soups in the summer. Instead I just shaved the root part on to a salad. It was really mild tasting but added a nice crunch :)

24 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

I guess it’s the time of year for them, my mom is getting them from her garden right now. I like the mild flavor and the crunch.

hope you are doing well, Susan! XO

25 Noelle September 2, 2011 at 10:25 am

Kohlrabi is delicious! I made it into a slaw and stuffed them in bean burritos! http://www.singerskitchen.com/2011/07/cowboy-energy-burritos.html

26 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

thank you for sharing, Noelle! those look great – I’ll be using at least one kohlrabi to make them! :)

27 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

Do you know why I LOVE visiting your blog?!? Because of the fresh produce and photos and juices. Hugs!

I’ve never tried kohlrabi before. Does look intriguing :D

28 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

THANK YOU, Kiran – I appreciate that, and it’s always nice to see you here! XO

29 Sonnet September 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hope you feel better soon! I know that fresh juice usually does the trick when I’m under the weather. This looks like such a tasty combination! I’ve never tried kohlrabi before, but it’s on my list to conquer this fall. I’ll have to try it in juice for sure!

It was great meeting you at the conference! Maybe we’ll see each other at the next one. Take care!

30 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

hello Sonnet! so glad you connect with you, I LOVE your blog! and I fully intend to be at the next vida vegan, and every one after! :D

the juicing is a must in every day life, and especially while sick – it’s helping us bounce back quickly for sure. take care!

31 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I havent had kohlrabi in years. Must change that!!

Great pictures too!

32 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm

thanks, Averie! what do YOU do with kohlrabi – I need ideas! :D

33 Dawn September 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Too funny….I just got your comment and went to visited and realized I just visited you about the peanutbutter chocolate smoothie. You have a new fan!

34 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

oh, yay! I love when that happens! :) great to see you here, Dawn!

35 Bobbie J September 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I will ask my sister, I think she served kohlrabi in something very recently!! I remember something crunchy that was new to me. I’ll let you know. ;)

36 spabettie September 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

great, thank you, Bobbie J! I would love to know her ideas…

37 Andrea September 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

You can add it to stirfries, or scallop it like potatoes or even steam it and make a veggie purée. But my husband always eats it all in salads before I get a chance to cook it.

38 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm

ha – I be he does! we had it in salad today, I loved the crunch! stir fry sounds great – with sesame oil – YUM!

39 Dorry September 2, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh, I hope you and Jason are feeling much better ASAP! Billy came home with a cold from NYC, but he’s on the mend. I’ve never (to my knowledge) had kohlrabi, but I’m intrigued. :)

40 Sophia September 2, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ve always wanted to try oven-roasted kohlrabi, but I’ve never thought of it juiced! The color is gorgeous. Kind of looks like a orange-mango smoothie.

41 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I know, it’s probably the last thing many would think to do with kohlrabi… it’s just me that will try to juice anything! :D

42 Eden September 3, 2011 at 5:16 am

I thought the faucet company, kohler, had kohlrabi farms.

I need to start googling things before I make assumption.

And the best kohlrabi I had was dipped in batter and fried like tempura. It was gluten free though. The batter was made with rice flour. And for god sakes its kohlrabi, its healthy! (thats my story and I’m sticking to it)

43 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm

oooh, this is the preparation I most want to try! I have rice flour, and probably everything else to make a batter. I’ll let you know if I attempt this – of course it’s healthy! :D

44 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 3, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’ve never had it before, but now I want it! That golden beet looks so good too! I’ve been catching up on your site and dang you have been busy! Looks like tons of fun too. I hope you are having a great weekend too!

45 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:39 pm

YOU have been busy, my friend – welcome home! :) looking forward to catching up with you too – hope you are getting some time to relax and enjoy… XO

46 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 3, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I have never even thought of juicing kohlrabi!

47 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:36 pm

hee – it’s the first thing I thought of, but… that’s probably not normal ;)

48 Rivki Locker September 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Fascinating to try this in juice. I love kohlrabi, mostly just chopped in salad or served plain and unadorned. I also sometimes braise it (either with butter and chive or with sesame oil and soy sauce). It’s really nice that way too.
Get well fast!!!

49 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm

thank you, Rivki!! we are both feeling almost 100% :) sesame oil is one of my favorite flavors – I agree that would be a great pairing! thank you for this idea!

50 David Eric September 4, 2011 at 11:05 am

Because of my numerous trips to Germany, I am quite familiar with the wonder that is Kohlrabi. Since I first tried it over five years ago, it has become one of my absolute favorite veggies. One of the easiest and best ways to enjoy kohlrabi is steamed with some garlic butter/margarine (vegan variety, of course). Kohlrabi also makes a good substitute in asian cooking, as it is a good replacement for bamboo shoots…I would also suggest grated kohlrabi in a salad with sweet potatoes.

51 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm

thank you! I was thinking kohlrabi would be good in Asian dishes – stir fry, noodle or rice dishes. I really like the crunch and enjoyed some in a salad today!

52 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Well, I at least wouldn’t be surprised at all if I’d caught the flu after all that’s been going on with you … I hope you’ll feel better soon!

My mom is really fond of kohlrabi, and she likes to cook it (very well) in just slightly salted water, and adds a spoonful of butter or ghee afterwards. That tastes wonderful.

53 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:27 pm

the active pace I’m used to, just maybe not the close proximity to so many people for so many days in a row? :D we are feeling better, almost 100%. (thank you!)

I am liking the kohlrabi and can’t wait to try everyone’s suggestions. Adding butter can only be good!

54 lindsay September 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm

ohhhh a new veggie to juice! I’ve heard of this stuff but I’ve never experimented with cooking it or much less juicing it. Sorry you are sick! I don’t get sick very often these days but when I do it’s usually nasty because my body just gives up fighting it. ugh. My juicer is my daily dose of medicine though. hehe. Keeping my eyes on future vida vegan conferences for sure!

55 spabettie September 4, 2011 at 11:24 pm

it’s a pretty good veg to juice – I like it anyway! I have a few ideas for cooking with kohlrabi, looking forward to trying. You know I just had to juice it first, right? :) I rarely get sick, neither does Jason, so it’s pretty crazy that we both got it, and it lasted several days. I think the juice definitely helped.

yes Yes YES plan to attend the next Vida!!

56 hihorosie September 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm

beauties! Haven’t done much with kohlrabi in any form but recently tried a slice raw (delish!). Hope to grow some next year. Would love to try it juiced.

57 spabettie September 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I think it will be in my garden next year too – I want to cook with it more! (of course I juice it first…) :)

58 Jon February 21, 2012 at 1:04 am

you sure are creative with the juice recipes!! never would have thought of kohlrabi juice!!!