protein berry smoothie

in Basil Pup,Breakfast,dachshund,daily smoothie,Smoothie

Happy Monday! I hope everyone is enjoying an extended holiday weekend, I know we are. This morning I am organizing and rearranging my photography room, preparing for the differences in daylight that will soon be upon us. I have a West facing window I will be utilizing for morning shots in addition to the East facing window I currently use. I can’t wait to get in there and move things around, take photos and test the lighting.

As soon as I finish first breakfast – this smoothie.

I like my smoothies ice cold. I don’t like to water down the flavor with ice, preferring to use frozen fruit. Jason wanted a smoothie this morning instead of fresh juice, and this impromptu smoothie was created entirely of what I found in the freezer. Well, with the exception of protein powder.

protein berry smoothie

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

serves two

1/2 cup frozen organic apple juice concentrate
1 cup frozen blackberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 frozen banana, sliced
1 1/2 cup coconut water
juice of 1 lemon
2 scoops vanilla protein powder

Combine coconut water, lemon and protein powder in blender. Add juice concentrate, berries and banana, blend on high until smooth.

This smoothie is full flavored, an icy cool blend of tart and sweet. The protein adds the oomph to last through a workout, until second breakfast.

Speaking of photography, this morning I had some help with editing:

Is today a holiday for you? Doing anything fun?

1 Lisa September 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

Catching up on lots of stuff online and hopefully get outside too and enjoy last of summer weather. Love the pic with dog and the laptop – looks like he is working on it.

2 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I know, I couldn’t resist getting a photo – he is a seat stealer when you get up from the couch…

3 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} September 5, 2011 at 9:24 am

That looks like my kinda smoothie! I love the glasses too (and the cute pup!). Enjoy your Labor Day!

4 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

thank you, Krista! happy Labor Day to you!

5 Roz@weightingfor50 September 5, 2011 at 9:39 am

Great lookings smoothie, LOVE the vintage glasses and LOVE the shot of Basil even more. He’s a cutie. Relaxing Monday for us, hope you have a relaxing time too.

6 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

glad you’re having a relaxing day, Roz! Basil says thank you… ;)

7 lindsay September 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

you just put me in the mood to go make a smoothie! hehe! I’m spending the day working from home and getting some housework done, but I’m okay with that. Sometimes it’s nice to just catch up!! Love that shot of Basil. too cute!

8 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm

hee – I just had to, I came back into the room and he was sitting there at the computer. I only took about 20 shots… ;) hope you have a great day, and a great smoothie!

9 Amanda September 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Would your editing assistant mind dropping by? I could use a few pointers….

I love those glasses. so pink and so you!

10 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm

hee – he’d probably need me to chaperon, and that would be FUN! :) I love these glasses too – they are me! :D

11 katie September 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm

First, HI Basil I love you!!!! So sweet!

Second, I think this is my favorite and wanting the most smoothie combo you have had that I have seen so far!

Last, Happy Labor Day to you! xoxo <3

12 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Basil sends wiggly wags and Long Dog Love your way! this was a GREAT smoothie – I never buy juice concentrate (I got this to BAKE with…) but I may start using it more in smoothies – it was SO good! I may have to make another one this afternoon…

hope you are enjoying your day – I know you’re packing and busy but I also know you’ll take time out to enjoy!! XO

13 Lisa B September 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I like my smoothies without ice too—frozen fruit is way better! :)

I have off today from one class, so I’m just focusing on my other ones and hoping to feel caught up by tomorrow…low key is good for me today!

14 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

glad you’re enjoying a low key day, Lisa. have a great week!

15 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm

too funny.. i just posted smoothie recipes today and so did leanne! Must be the day for them! :)

16 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I know, smoothie day for all three of us! #GreatMinds… hope you’re having an enjoyable day off, Averie!

17 katie @KatieDid September 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Did you place a mirror behind the smoothie? That is a really cool effect on the photos! I just purchased lightroom 3 today, and I’m so excited to get practicing. What program do you use?

18 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm

no mirror, it’s two glasses with a whiteboard behind. I don’t have an editor – I use iPhoto for cropping and the few basics it does!

19 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

You have a photography room?! Lucky girl.

The whole fam is still in their PJs and it’s almost dinner time. This is my kind of day!

20 spabettie September 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

haa haa – well, I have a photography room, and now the house does NOT have a dining room! ;) I LOVE pajama days!!

21 Dorry September 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Those look refreshing and delicious. My sore throat could use an ice cold smoothie. I need to go see what’s in my freezer. :) We’ve had a good, relaxing day. Billy at the very end of being sick…and me sort of at the beginning – maybe? Hopefully not. I’m determined to kick this ASAP!

22 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

this was GREAT for my sore throat! I hope you’re all better? I hate to say I’m still a bit under, weird that it’s hanging on. I hope that’s not the case for you!! XO

23 Dorry September 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I’m feeling a bit better – the sore throat is gone, and the sickness has invaded my eyes and nose. Lots of runny-ness. Ugh. I miss my workouts, but I’m resisting and eating lots of nourishing food to get better ASAP! I hope you’re feeling better, Kris!

24 Lauren September 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Those look great! Love the glasses. Now I know your secret to great photography…having a whole room dedicated! I’m jealous :) I also love using frozen fruit. Frozen banana really makes smoothies taste like milkshakes. Yum!

25 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

haa – my secret is following the natural light around the house!! :) I do have a main area, though, and now we have no dining room we can eat at the counter in the kitchen, no big. ;)

26 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love those glasses. So cute. And Basil is such a great little helper ;-)

27 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

Basil likes to help… always watching me in the kitchen, and as soon as we get up from our computers, he holds the spot for us.

28 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 5, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Yes today is a holiday for me — long weekends are the best! We’ve spent lots of time at home getting things cleaned up and organized. I finally feel like our house is coming together :)

I too like ice cold smoothies — this looks so refreshing!

29 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:54 am

that’s awesome, Holly! I love all the projects you’ve been doing! it’s nice to feel like a home, right? :)

30 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog September 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Mmmm. I was in Rio and had some of Marcella’s strawberry smoothie… but what I really wanted was my own. Like this one. Oh. Yeah. Thanks for reading my mind, and happy LD to you, too!

31 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:52 am

I am loving this smoothie, and have made this exact one three times now – so good. wish I could share with you!!

32 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) September 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love when I read about bloggers having special places for photography – it’s so cute! I wish I had a room to use for just photos – someday!

I’m with you on the no ice in smoothies. Ice just takes away from the flavor!

33 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:52 am

my “special place for photos” is where the light is! I have a few places in the house, actually. and now we have no dining room! ;)

34 Pure2raw twins September 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Love smoothies!!

is your pup available to help with my photo editing?? haha

35 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

ha! I’d have to come with him… which would be fun too!!

36 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Yum! I had a smoothie myself today! Except my pics don’t look NEARLY this good!

37 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:49 am

seems like everyone had Smoothie Monday! :)

38 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011 at 7:16 am

Yesterday was a holiday for me too! It was so great. I too started off the day with a cool smoothie. So delicious! Then moved on to clean the house from top to bottom, even the fridge! And reorganize the office. I was sweating up a storm!

39 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:38 am

oooh, I love a clean fridge – I’m doing that today! I am cleaning the whole house this week, too – room by room. so nice and fresh!

40 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:39 am

and YES – Averie pointed out that all three of us posted smoothies! Great Minds, right?? :D

41 Hillary September 6, 2011 at 7:26 am

I work in a coffee shop where people want dairy free smoothies, but I never wuite know how to make them the right consistency. This helps a lot! I’m a vegetarian dabbling in veganism and I love all of the yummy ideas.

42 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:37 am

yes, you can make smoothies without any dairy at all, and they can be thick and wonderful! you could use dairy free milks, coconut milk, hemp or nut milk.

43 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

What a cute puppy! In that picture looks like he is at work!

44 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:36 am

hee – I know, that’s what struck me too, and I had to take a photo.

45 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful! And yes, ice-cold, please! :D

Sunwarrior rice protein powder is my favorite, but here I can only order the unflavored kind (on amazon.de) – I’m happy I can get it at all! 8O Germany is sooooooooo behind when it comes to healthy living products! (Have I already mentioned that it’s nearly impossible to get kale over here?! Sheesh.)

46 spabettie September 7, 2011 at 8:35 am

oh, MAN, every time I hear you are without something all I want to do is pack up a big care package for you!! kale probably wouldn’t fare too well, though… I wonder if I could even send something like Sunwarrior? customs can be sketchy…

47 janetha September 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

using frozen concentrate in a smoothie is so smart!

48 Missy September 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oh goodness gracious. AMEN to no ice in smoothies. But I love to freeze just about anything in ice cube trays….coconut water, carrot juice, pumpkin.
Ice — is not nice.

49 Missy September 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Ice — is not nice.

50 spabettie September 9, 2011 at 6:51 am

ha – Ice is not nice!! I love that!

51 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 13, 2011 at 5:17 am

Peek-a-boo Basil!! Such a cutie! Love the fruit combo in this and it looks so pretty! Those are the perfect glasses!

52 hihorosie September 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

whoa, you’re going for the sunwarrior eh? :D I just want those glasses! Cute!

53 spabettie September 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm

yeah, just… trying it for a bit. ;) and thanks – they’re my fun glasses.