seven layer dip with nacho cheese sauce

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

seven layer dip with noocho cheese

I recently had a craving for seven layer dip – alternating levels of spicy and cool and fresh and crunch. I wanted it for dinner, so this recipe veers from the traditional – I removed the sour cream layer, added salsa spiced quinoa, and made a fantastic new recipe – noocho cheese. Add chips for dipping and romaine salad, this was dinner on Monday.

and lunch on Tuesday. I can’t get enough of the noocho cheese.

seven layer dip

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

base layer – jalapeno beans
salsa spiced quinoa
noocho cheese sauce
chopped lettuce and scallions
chopped tomatoes
cubed avocado
jalapeno soaked olives

No measurements for this – make as little or as much as you want, with layers as thick or thin as you want.

Base layer – canned pinto beans (drained) and chopped jalapeno: I used 2 cans beans and 2 seeded jalapenos, processed in food processor to a blend of chunky/creamy.

Second layer – salsa spiced quinoa – quinoa cooked with dried and powdered “salsa flavors” added to the water: I used 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, I added 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons chili flakes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, bring to boil then simmer 25 minutes.

Third layer – noocho cheese sauce / dip. Recipe follows.

Fourth through seventh layers – layer the lettuce and scallions, then tomato, then avocado, then olives.

healthy seven layer dip

noocho cheese sauce

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

1 cup raw cashews, soaked
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1/3 to 1/2 cup water
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Begin with soaked cashews – process alone to an almost creamy consistency. Add lemon juice, hot sauce and a couple tablespoons of the water – continue processing until smooth. While processing, add garlic, nutritional yeast, paprika, chili and onion powders, stopping to scrape sides. Add water until desired consistency is reached – more water for sauce, less for dip.

First, this is our new favorite sauce. It has that oh so slight sweet from the cashews, the buttery cheesy flavor from nutritional yeast, and a perfect amount of spice and heat. So good! Please make this.

Second, we love seven layer dip for dinner! Sort of like snacking at dinnertime, but with the staying power of quinoa, beans and the noocho cheese, it filled us up and left us smiling. We may have to make this a regular thing.

vegan seven layer dip

What is your favorite dinner that seems like a snack?

Do you like seven layer dip?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 15, 2011 at 5:22 am

YAY I was waiting for this one. I typically don’t eat 7-layer dips b/c mot people use beans that are likely not vegetarian as well as beef. This my friend, is perfection!

2 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:33 am

yep – easy to make your own beans (and you’d LOVE these beans too!). I love this stuff. I want to make it again, now! :D

3 JL goes Vegan September 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

Gorgeous, girl! I have tagged this in my recipe folder! YUM!

4 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:32 am

thanks, JL! and I hope you make it – SO good! :D

5 Lindsay @CookVeganLover September 15, 2011 at 5:37 am

Dying for this! Looks amazing!

6 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:32 am

thanks, Lindsay! it’s really one of those things you keep thinking about… until you make it again! :)

7 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 15, 2011 at 5:39 am

your nooocho cheeze sauce sounds fabulous! nooch, cashews, chili powder, tobasco <— yeah baby!

and the pics…very nice!!!! I'm sure these will be on the food sites later today :)

8 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:31 am

ooh, it is SO good. there was some left over, but it’s long gone! I’m making more today. and thanks about the photo compliment – here’s hoping, right!? ;) hope you have a fantastic day!

9 katie September 15, 2011 at 5:49 am

I actually LOVE 7 layer dip! I have NEVER seen one with quinoa, how creative! I want this!

U are so amazing with your recipes, just so creative and the pics like I said, are amazing!

xoxo <3

Tell Basil hello from me! : )

10 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:30 am

aw, thank you Katie!! :) your awesome comments like this make my day! I just said “Basil, Katie says hello!” and he looked up at me, licked my foot and jumped off the chair. ;)

11 katie September 15, 2011 at 7:35 am

Your so sweet! Awww yay! Love Basil! He loves me !

12 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:37 am

he totally does. ;)

13 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 15, 2011 at 6:45 am

I love 7 layer dip — I could eat that stuff by the boat load! I never knew what to replace the cheese with — well now I know to make Noocho cheese :) Cute name and yes I will try that once I pick up some more cashews!

14 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:29 am

seriously, I cannot stress it enough! it is SOOOO GOOOOOOD! :D

15 Dorry September 15, 2011 at 7:07 am

OH MY! yum x a million. This is a home-run for Bird’s tastebuds. Seriously. And I’ve been craving black olives lately – random!

p.s. thank you so much for not spelling it cheeze.

16 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:11 am

haa – you are so welcome. although I STILL cannot believe I made a name of the word for nutritional yeast that I really do not like… ;)

17 Cara September 15, 2011 at 7:12 am

This totally brings me back to my childhood! My mom used to make a 7-layer dip (((definitely NOT healthy))) but this one looks super good and good for you! My favorite meal that should be a snack? Guacamole. Strange? Possibly. But I eat it for lunch all of the time! :)

18 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:28 am

Mmm, no way strange – I LOVE guacamole and can definitely eat it for a meal.

19 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen September 15, 2011 at 7:15 am

I have never been so excited to go vegan for a bit.

The countdown to October is on….and recipes like this are getting bookmarked. :)

20 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:27 am

awesome – I am SO excited you’re doing this, Sarah!! and yep – recipes like this one will make it deliciously easy for you!! :D

21 Jess September 15, 2011 at 7:33 am

OH MY GOD. I have GOT to try this…the quinoa may be my favorite part of this recipe!!!!

22 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:38 am

I know – I love the quinoa addition too – oh, I just love the whole thing! I hope you make this and LOVE it! :D

23 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 15, 2011 at 7:34 am

Wow I am bookmarking this for when my Mexican cravings come back. I overdid it last week, but I know they’ll be back. Great recipe!

24 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 7:38 am

haa – yes, chances are good the cravings WILL return – and this will help – SO good! :D

25 Jared / The Laughing Vegan September 15, 2011 at 7:55 am

Hey Kristina! I love the way you took a snack food and made it suitable for a meal. The idea for a quinoa salsa layer is incredible! Can’t wait to try this one.

26 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 8:05 am

hi Jared!! thanks for commenting – we sat at the same lunch table at Vida Vegan – I think on the taco bar day! :) the quinoa in this is pretty dang good – spicy hot! :) hope you love it as much as we did!

27 art and lemons September 15, 2011 at 9:05 am

Just discovered your lovely site and I have to tell you that it’s been way too long since I’ve had a good seven layer dip, one of my childhood favorites. Adding this to tonight’s menu! Thanks for the inspiration.

28 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 9:15 am

oh good! you are SO welcome – I hope you love it! you just made my day – thanks for saying hello!

29 Sam September 15, 2011 at 9:19 am

Omg! This is so cool. Layered mexican dips are some of my all time favorite foods…I don’t think I have ever come close to eating one this healthy though!! You are a geniuuus!

30 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 9:21 am

thank you, Sam! :) I haven’t had one in so long either, and had a big craving out of nowhere - it had to be done.

31 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

Sounds tasty to me!! :)

32 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

thanks, Jess!

33 Lisa September 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

Damn that looks so tasty!!!!

34 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

thanks Lisa – it is SO good! :D

35 katie @KatieDid September 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

Your photos are so crisp and beautiful, wow!
Sometimes I make a ‘chip dinner’ we call it which are pretty much loaded nachos but healthy, and minus the globs of cheese! Tons of veggies and shredded chicken or meat. Chips are a huge weakness of mine, I’ll never pass up a serving of chips.

36 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

thank you, my friend! I am sure not looking forward to the winter light. photos will not fare well, I’m thinking!

chip dinner sounds GOOD. kinda what we had going on here. Mmm!

37 Mama Pea September 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

Holy hell.

Are you coming to VegFest this weekend????

38 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

yes we are!! I was looking at the schedule last night and saw YOU! I’ll find ya. :D

39 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 10:54 am

and I’m hoping “holy hell” is a good thing? ;)

40 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

WOW! You’re always creating good things..and I’m over here eating a grilled cheese (made in the microwave, I might add). Please come to my house.

41 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I would LOVE to, Lindsay! :D

42 Heather Eats Almond Butter September 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Just pinned recipe. Need this right now. I want to come to a Super Bowl party at your house.

43 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 4:48 pm

now THAT would be so fun! I could make BIG bowls of this. Mmm. go, football! ;)

44 janetha September 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm

noocho! love it! this is beautiful, almost looks too pretty to eat. almost.

45 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm

heh. almost. that didn’t even really cross my mind…

46 Sayward September 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Mmmm bookmarked! This looks a-mazing. =)

47 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm

thanks, Sayward! I hope you love it!

48 Evan Thomas September 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Bookmarked. I might just make that noocho cheese and drink it. Would that be good, too?

49 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm

yep, I have a feeling it would…

50 Jaime September 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm

This sounds so amazing! I’m definitely going to try it. I’ve never cooked with raw cashews before – how long do I soak them? I was always scared of cooking with raw nuts (because I never have before) but this sounds so good that im ready to break my habit (of only cooking stuff I’m used to). Thanks for this recipe!!

51 spabettie September 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

hi Jaime! no need to be intimidated by raw cashews, they are very easy and VERY tasty! usually I soak them a couple hours or overnight, but I’ve used them after an hour or so of soaking. I really hope you like this – let me know how it goes, okay? ENJOY!!

52 jess @ cupcakes and kale September 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

oh my. i just finished dinner and my mouth is a ‘watering all over again. i am so making this tomorrow.

53 spabettie September 16, 2011 at 8:05 am

I hope you love it, Jess! please let me know how it goes! happy weekend!

54 Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) September 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Well, this just looks freakin’ amazing. I have a potluck coming up and I plan to bring this. YUM! P.S. I was shopping the other day and saw the awesome sequin Toms shoes that you have and I asked to try on my size and they were all sold out!!! Of every size! So, you can be the cool girl with the sparkly shoes that I am jealous of. :)

55 spabettie September 16, 2011 at 8:04 am

hi Carrie! you will have to let me know how you like the seven layer dip – I hope everyone loves it! wow, I know Toms are really popular and seem to be selling really well right now… I wonder if you can find them online? keep looking, the sparkly ones are SO fun! :) have a great weekend, my friend!

56 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Your photos are beautiful, for the FYI, you should real know that :)
Secondly, can I eat the screen please? I had a burrito bowl dinner tonight compiled of all the classic favorites: brown rice, homemade black beans, guac, olives, peppers and tomatoes, lettuce, and my homemade cashew cilantro sour cream! One bowl meals would have to be my favorite….

57 spabettie September 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

thank you SO much – hearing that about my photography makes my day! :D your bowl sounds perfect – bowl meals are one of my favorites too…

58 Felicity September 16, 2011 at 4:56 am

I just have to tell you we made this last night and it was impressive!! I had a potluck to attend and made two big trifles of this it was so pretty and one of the popular picks of the evening!! very creative on the NOOCHO CHEESE and everyone loved the clever name too (I wish I could have claimed it as my own creation!!). I am already planning this will be my “go to” contribution for the holidays events we attend, thank you for the awesome recipe!!

59 spabettie September 16, 2011 at 8:01 am

thank you, Felicity! so happy everyone loved it! glad you like the noocho name ;)

60 Nichol September 16, 2011 at 4:57 am

This looks incredible. We are huge fans of 7 layer dip. They are perfect to bring as a dish to pass!

61 spabettie September 16, 2011 at 8:01 am

thank you, Nichol! and I agree, I can’t wait to bring this to a party!

62 healthy ashley September 16, 2011 at 8:22 am

This looks and sounds amazing! Your food photos are exceptional.

63 spabettie September 16, 2011 at 8:24 am

thank you Ashley!! I wish I could bring some of this to you today… <3

64 Angela @ Vegangela.com September 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Beautiful! I looooove anything Mexican and often make a layered dip of re-fried beans, salsa, guacamole… but the cheese is always missing. I will have to make this very soon. Thanks!

65 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 7:11 am

you are welcome – I have made the noocho cheese THREE times now – we love it! :D

66 Christie September 19, 2011 at 8:42 pm

we made this tonight for supper and it is amazing!! we love it, I honestly can’t wait to make again! that noocho cheese is perfect, you need to bottle it and sell it. with a straw. ;)

67 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 7:04 am

ha! bottle and sell it – now there’s an idea! ;) so glad you like it!

68 Hadley Mary Phillips September 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm

this is beautiful and sounds phenomenal! I look forward to trying this. just found your blog from a friend who made this tonight and is raving about it. I love your webpage!

69 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 7:07 am

hi Hadley, is your friend by any chance Christie? :) your comments came in a half hour after someone saying they just made this and loved it – I thought that would be a fun coincidence! :) I hope you love it!

70 Whitney September 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I just made this, and it is divine! I have texture issues with food (yes, I’m that girl), but this melded so well together. And it’s super filling which the manly man husband likes. One word: amazeterrific!

71 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm

thank you, Whitney!! I’m so happy to hear you love it – I’ve made it two more times since posting this ;) glad to hear it pleases the manly man as well! I’ll take amazeterrific! :D

72 Nina Drake September 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

noocho cheese is genius, I made it this evening and we added it to our rice bowls. thank you!!

73 hihorosie September 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm

oh yuuuummmmmm!

74 hollie September 25, 2011 at 5:14 pm

this was SO GOOD, we had it twice this weekend! it made perfect snacky food for the football games, and I assembled it in small bowls like you did – great idea!

75 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

hi Hollie! so happy it was enjoyed!

76 Drew September 29, 2011 at 1:04 am

I’m having this for football games this upcoming weekend – GO DUCKS! looks amazing

77 spabettie September 29, 2011 at 5:54 am

enjoy!

78 Farrah October 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

fantastic recipe, I made this yesterday and it was very well liked! I love your site and photos.

79 spabettie October 3, 2011 at 8:43 am

thank you, Farrah – I love hearing good feedback! glad you enjoyed.

80 Rachel October 6, 2011 at 2:02 am

this is great, Kristina! I made this today and loved it. creative, great flavorings!

81 spabettie October 6, 2011 at 6:20 am

so happy you like it, Rachel!

82 Lizzie October 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

This looks amazing and want to make it right now!! :) But why won’t it let me highlight to print? :(

83 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm

sorry about that, I disabled that because I often find my content copied/pasted in full on other sites. glad you asked, though, I hope you enjoy!!

here you go:

noocho cheese sauce

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

1 cup raw cashews, soaked
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
1/3 to 1/2 cup water
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Begin with soaked cashews – process alone to an almost creamy consistency. Add lemon juice, Tabasco and a couple tablespoons of the water – continue processing until smooth. While processing, add garlic, nutritional yeast, paprika, chili and onion powders, stopping to scrape sides. Add water until desired consistency is reached – more water for sauce, less for dip.

seven layer dip

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

base layer – jalapeno beans
salsa spiced quinoa
noocho cheese sauce
chopped lettuce and scallions
chopped tomatoes
cubed avocado
jalapeno soaked olives

Third layer – noocho cheese sauce / dip. Recipe follows.

84 Lizzie October 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yay, thanks!

85 Kelly October 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm

these look good and so do the tacos! I am going shopping right now to make these tonight, YUM! would almonds work in place of cashews? have you tried tofu?

86 Frank and Jenny October 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm

we are having this as dinner right now (with the hard tacos shells too!) and since I had your website up still I had to tell you they are AMAIZING a huge hit!! yummo yummo!

thank you, we will be making the spabetty noocho sauce all the time!

87 Luca October 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

WHUUUUU??? what have you DONE, Kris!!???!! stunning photos, and YUMMM I just want to eat all my meals in your kitchen! :D :D :D I have not had seven layer dip since… well, a very very long time! :)

88 spabettie October 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

haa, thanks Luca! I love your enthusiasm – ENJOY!!

89 Sophia October 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

CRAZY beautiful!! genius.

90 Kathy December 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm

we have made this dip three times in the last week. I am your new biggest fan, and I am spending the evening perusing your GORGEOUS site of recipes!! thank you Kristina!

Kathy F.

91 Gloria February 9, 2012 at 3:46 am

this reminds me of college, I made 7 layer dip all the time, thinking it was so gourmet LOL (and YOURS IS!!) :D

92 Vance February 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

best looking seven layer dip I’ve ever seen, and this one I wouldn’t feel bad about eating the whole thing!

93 Jan February 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I have not had this dip for too many year, I am recreating yours this weekend! looks great.

94 Josh March 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm

this is great, I’m going to make this weekend thanks

95 Natalie April 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

we love spicy and we love “party food as dinner” LOL made this last night and we both have it in lunches today. when we were carpooling to school we were already anticipating lunch!!

96 Sam September 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

just saw this on gojee I cant wait to make it!! seven layer dip (in the big baking dish LOL) was a childhood favorite I cant wait to revisit!

97 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I hope you love it, Sam! we love it for that very reason!

98 Clara October 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

someone pinned this today and I have seen it so many times!! this looks great, I have not even thought of 7 layer dip since childhood – your version sounds not only healthy but tasty too! bowl game pinned, right here LOL!

99 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

hope you enjoy, Clara! :)

100 Kelly December 16, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’m making this for an appetizer for Christmas. Do I serve it warm or cold?

101 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

hi Kelly! I always serve mine “cold” or room temp. I generally make the quinoa ahead and cool… although now you have me thinking – serving this warm would be good, I think? cheers, and enjoy!