the Kennedys

in Books

there goes my afternoon. can I listen to the recordings while I read the book?

if you know me, you know my fascination for all things Kennedy.

earlier this week, Caroline Kennedy released historical recordings that were to be unavailable for decades. more than eight hours of interviews with Jacqueline Kennedy, just four months after President Kennedy’s assassination.

and thanks to an early birthday gift, I already have them. and a plan for my Friday afternoon.

Happy Friday! any fun plans this weekend?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 23, 2011 at 10:52 am

Enjoy your afternoon!

2 katie @KatieDid September 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

Nice, have a fun afternoon with that! I’m in class now and settling in to watch Tree of Life with a friend this evening before heading out. It won the Canne film festival and is supposed to be amazing!

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

What a nice way to spend an afternoon — and you’ve reminded me to look up the Kennedy’s tv series (HBO or AMC I think). I remember wanting to watch it but never did.

4 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

that series was GOOD! I wonder if you can find it online or to rent somewhere? it’s worth it – I liked it! :D

5 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm

fun!! Love American history…and especially that era! I think my most favorite time though was right at the turn of the century – I like reading stuff about Rockefeller and the industrial revolution.

6 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love that era too – and who was connected to whom. I didn’t get into history until I was out of school, unfortunately. ;)

7 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com September 23, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I love the Kennedys! I’ve been hearing all kinds of buzz about the recently released info and recordings. Let me know what you think! Have a great weekend!

8 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

so far they are very interesting and fun to listen to! I’m only on day two – I think it will only get better! :)

9 Laura September 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm

My plan is to come to your house to read and listen w/ you!!! What a great plan!! I’m hoping for movie night and lots of laundry putting away!! Big 11 mile run tomorrow morning!
I’m a history buff, too but aim more for the founders!!

10 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:39 am

that would have been fun! :) we listened to the tapes as we drove to the beach – really interesting stuff! :D

11 Roz@weightingfor50 September 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Hi Kristina, that sure sounds like an afternoon well spent to me!! Enjoy!

12 Barbara | Creative Culinary September 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I watched the Diane Sawyer program the other day that included an interview with Caroline and several parts of these recordings. I was alive during ‘Camelot’ albeit very young but the tragedy of President Kennedy’s death was palpable.

Even in the snippets we heard, there were some surprises…and loved her bluntness about some of the heads of state and her obvious affection for her husband, flawed as he was in their marriage.

Enjoy.

13 Lisa September 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Happy weekend!
I spent all day at a wellness fair…and it was a huge success, so I’m happy (and tired). I’d like to curl up with a book for the evening but I think my nephew is showing up momentarily and that means I’ll be bike riding and playing games (so I’m happy with that too)!

14 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:37 am

sounds like a great weekend, Lisa B! happy the wellness fair went well, hope you had a great time playing with your nephew! :)

15 Pure2raw twins September 25, 2011 at 6:33 pm

love the Kennedys, in college I actually took a class on JFK’s assassination :)

16 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:27 am

oh, wow! a whole class? I would have been all over that one!

17 MizFit September 26, 2011 at 4:03 am

oooh and will you be reviewing?

I think I covet your friday afternoonage :)

18 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

I just might review! we listened to several on the way to the beach, and then on the way home I needed upbeat music to drive to – Jackie’s sweet voice was too soothing and I was tired! ;) I’m on the second day of recordings – out of seven or eight? :D

19 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 26, 2011 at 4:06 am

I didn’t know you were so interested in the Kennedys! It’s an impressing example of collective bad luck. As with the Hemingway family. JFK was shot on my birthday date, this always makes me a little sad. :(

20 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

impressive example of bad luck INDEED. so much tragedy in one family. oh, no – but you know what? I’ll never forget your birthday now… :) (positive in everything, right?)