miso & sesame kale chips

in appetizers,dehydrator,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

Have you ever eaten two whole trays of kale chips in one afternoon? Yeah, me either.

One of my birthday gifts last month was a dehydrator. I’ve been wanting one for some time, so this is definitely not a Homer Gift.

I have a long list of dehydrator ideas, but I had to break it in with a classic.

oops, there’s the photographic evidence of just how many kale chips I scarfed in a matter of hours.

I couldn’t stop. I tried to save some for Jason, I really did. Good thing they are so easy to make.

miso sesame kale chips

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

kale
miso dressing
sesame seeds

Wash and dry kale. Tear / cut leaves into small pieces, removing ribs and stems. Coat kale pieces with miso dressing (toss in bowl or massage with hands) and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Arrange in single layer on baking pan or dehydrator sheet.

Oven: bake at 250-275 for 45 – 60 minutes*.

Dehydrator: 145 for 2-3 hours*.

*Depending on thickness of dressing application, these times may vary. I made these a second time with a thicker application of miso dressing, dehydrated for four hours. Check and flip.

miso dressing

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

1/4 cup smooth miso paste
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of two lemons
1 green onion, minced fine

Whisk all ingredients – adjusting liquids for desired consistency. Insert straw and drink Store in airtight container in fridge.

I make this miso dressing thinner for salads, thicker to use as a dip or spread (delicious on sandwiches and wraps!). Thick or thin consistency, this works well as a kale chip coating!

These have incredible flavor- very umami. I make these in small batches now, especially if I am alone. I cannot be trusted around them!

Are you a miso fan? What about kale chips?

1 JL goes Vegan October 21, 2011 at 4:50 am

One word: YUM.

2 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

indeed.

3 Curt October 21, 2011 at 4:59 am

Something I’ve never tried, but certainly would like to.

4 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Curt the flavors are really good! :)

5 Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 21, 2011 at 5:03 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh dehydrator. Do you follow Valerie from City-Life-Eats? She puts hers to work nonstop.

6 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

nope, I don’t think so?? but I will now! weeee! (thank you!) :D

7 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 21, 2011 at 5:06 am

love them AND the oven format . I have both a dehyd and an oven and use my oven 99 to 1 over the dehyd. I would not want to wait many hours to enjoy one of these :)

8 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

yep, pretty easy to make these in the oven (do you do the open oven door thing??) but I am SO excited for a dehydrator. I’ve wanted one for years! :D

9 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} October 21, 2011 at 5:12 am

I love miso AND kale chips, so this is perfect! No dehydrator though. One of these days I’ll add it to my ever-growing list of kitchen appliances. :-)

10 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

these really are so good… maybe make as a salad instead? ;) I haven’t tried this recipe in the oven, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work?

11 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 21, 2011 at 5:23 am

Yummy. I love kale chips but have only made them a few times. I tend to use up my bunch of kale for a single dish and don’t set any aside for kale chips. And I do like miso – though I don’t think of it as a strong flavor. Maybe that’s just me?

12 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm

hmm, kinda strong to me? well, a miso paste is anyway… definitely prominent? I had to buy extra with the intention of making chips – my kale goes quick around here too!

13 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 21, 2011 at 6:03 am

I tried making kale chips once and it was a major fail. I’m sure I did it wrong. I’ll try them in the dehydrator next time around. I’m a HUGE fan of kale; I could eat bunches of it at once. So good. :D

14 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm

oh, me too, kale was my newfound love this summer. juicing, salads, anything! Basil likes it too, so I “drop” a piece every now and then when cooking… ;)

what happened when you made kale chips? just didn’t crisp?

15 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm

No, the exact opposite: They turned to dust!

16 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 21, 2011 at 6:28 am

Ok…so now you’re making me want a Juicer AND a dehydrator!! Not fair. ;)

17 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

girl, I know! these you could make in the oven, totally! juicer, *sigh* I wish I could give EVERYONE a juicer!! :D

18 katie October 21, 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh I am SUCH a miso fan, these look awesome girl!

A dehydrator is something I do want one day, when i have more kitchen space ; )

Happy Weekend! xoxo <3

19 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm

if you like miso you would LOVE these!! seriously – could. not. stop. eating. ;) you could make them in the oven…

20 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 21, 2011 at 7:52 am

I don’t know why I never try miso. I think I would like it. Kale chips…I LOVE! Tony hates the way they make the house smell and he thinks they taste like eating grass, but Max and I go nuts for them! I hope you have a great weekend my friend!

21 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

that’s funny, I’ve heard that they smell bad… I have made them in the oven before and didn’t get that, so I thought it was a dehydrator thing (or I was making something else at the same time…)

but THESE… my kitchen smelled of miso and it was glorious! :D

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 21, 2011 at 7:59 am

I love kale chips but have never had any like this! Just by the looks I’m pretty sure I would’ve scarfed the whole thing in a matter of minutes. I need to get me some miso!

23 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

yep. that is EXACTLY what I did (well, it took an afternoon). I really tried to save some for Jason, and when he got home all I had to show him was the photos. then I saw how many I actually made and we both laughed. oops! I’m laughing again right now, thinking about it… good thing I can make more, pretty quickly! :D

24 Ty October 21, 2011 at 8:03 am

I am a total miso fan, unfortunately I can’t find miso paste ANYWHERE near me. I’ll probably have to order it online. *Le sigh* I hate paying shipping.

25 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I know what you mean – I don’t mind A LITTLE shipping when it’s reasonable (because I love to receive fun stuff in the mail!), but not many places do that… and for miso paste which would probably be cold shipped… yeah. sorry, I hope you find some soon? no Asian markets near you?

26 Ty October 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I found some today!! I took a special trip across town to Whole Foods to track it down. I had actually searched there before for miso paste but I’m such a dummy, I didn’t realize it would be cold. I was looking for it like with the soy sauce as opposed to by the tofu.

Silly me.

Now I can make miso sesame kale chips!!

27 Lisa October 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

These sound really great! My most recent kale chip binge was on pizza flavored ones … but I could definitely go for some miso style—love that stuff!

28 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love miso too… AND I love pizza… that sounds great!

29 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 21, 2011 at 9:10 am

I love kale, I love miso – these sound soooooooo good!! I can’t seem to find a good miso right now though, I’ll have to keep searching!!

30 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

it took me a bit to find one that was gluten free, actually. I hope you find some soon! :)

31 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 21, 2011 at 9:36 am

Don’t make fun of me but I’ve really only head miso in soup. I’m so uncultured, I know. But these little kale chips look delicious so I might have to break out of my box and get crazy. ;) Who knows what might happen.

32 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

do it, Molly! and that’s nothing to make fun of, I bet many have only had the soup. it took me a while to buy miso paste… I used to look at it in the store, wanting to buy it… real too easy and SO good! :)

33 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} October 21, 2011 at 9:52 am

Awesome!!! A dehydrator is definitely on my list of “wants”. Those chips sound so yummy!

34 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I have been wanting one for a very long time… and these chips? Mmm, I cannot even put into words! :)

35 lindsay October 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

time bust out my dehydrator! perfect snacks for traveling too. Love it Kristina. <3
p.s.
how is your dad?

36 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I am so happy I finally got one – spabettie is about to become Dehydrator City. ;) Dad is doing GREAT, thank you so much for asking!! XO

37 Yum Yucky October 21, 2011 at 10:28 am

No waaaay. This is genius, spaghetti. What an awesome twist on kale chipping. And I’ve only ever eaten ONE whole tray of kale chips. you win. #darn

38 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

hee hee, Josie still love that you call me that. I pretty much ate one whole tray immediately, ate some halfway through (quality control, you know), and snacked on the other tray all afternoon. #oops.

39 Dorry October 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The best kale chips I’ve ever had are definitely homemade. Certain packaged brands have left me with a stomach ache…even with clean ingredients!

40 Dorry October 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

p.s. excited to see what else you dehydrate…perhaps some macaroons?? :)

41 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’ll save those for when YOU are here (or near…) :D I’m not a BIG fan.

42 spabettie October 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm

definitely better homemade… kale chips lose something in the packaging, they aren’t as good as fresh.

43 hihorosie October 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Yay on your awesome birthday gift: a dehydrator! Sweet! And heh, I’ve never eaten pretty much a whole batch of kale chips in an afternoon either…(::shifty eyes::) Your kale chips look super!

44 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 22, 2011 at 7:16 am

haha that’s the worst – when you’re home alone and you just start baking, then eating, then next thing you know there’s none left for your partner. Generally someone would just hide the evidence but when you have a blog, you know that conversation is going to come up when they see a recipe on your site that they’ve never tried “hey! I didn’t get to try these, what the heck?”…. that happens a lot around here!

45 sarah@spinach and spice October 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I still have never made my own kale chips. D’oh.
Now I need an oven! Any suggestions on making these in the micro? ;)

46 lindsay October 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I have loved catching up on your blog tonight and seeing so many fabulous recipes I need to try! Beautiful pics too, as always :)
I want a dehydrator soooo badly. Dehydrator and a vitamix are my last two kitchen essentials. But one thing at a time I suppose. I got a new juicer a few weeks ago that I’m soooo in love with!! I can’t wait to see all your new dehydrator creations!!!

47 Sam October 24, 2011 at 4:15 am

unreal! miso is such a great flavor (I love that you said umami!!!) and this makes me want to try kale chips on my own. love the sesame seeds too, adds another dimension to the chip!

48 spabettie October 24, 2011 at 8:46 am

thanks, Sam! I hope you do make these, they are AMAZING! :D

49 Niki M. October 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Seriously? You have become one of my new top followers :D

50 spabettie October 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm

aw! thank you, Niki!! :D yay!

51 Ashley October 25, 2011 at 6:57 am

You’ve just inspired me – I was always nervous to try these in the oven, but yours look so delicious I’ve got to make them now!

52 spabettie October 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

I hope you do – let me know how they turn out, Ashley!! ENJOY!!

53 Kelly C. October 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm

very creative, I bet they taste amazing!!!

54 spabettie October 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

thank you, Kelly! they are pretty dang good! :D

55 Pamela Fox November 6, 2011 at 8:10 am

We made this last night, our very first recipe with the dehydrator. They were super yummy, thanks for the recipe!

I posted a pic on my blog: http://pamelagoesprimal.com/post/12421377238/miso-sesame-kale-chips

56 spabettie November 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

hi Pamela! I am SO happy you loved these as much as we did – they are very difficult to keep around, yes? I (finally!) just got my dehydrator too and this was my first recipe! :D enjoy, can’t wait to see what else you make – interested in the result of zucchini chips! Cheers!

57 Adrienne November 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm

these sound fantastic, and the pics are GORGEOUS. you are multi talented!

58 spabettie November 7, 2011 at 9:28 pm

thank you, Adrienne!

59 Swit November 19, 2011 at 5:50 am

if only these came packaged like potato chips !
they look amazing, i’m more certain that i want a dehydrator….thanks !i think i’m a new follower, i love your food !

60 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

hello Swit! thank you for saying hello! these were really very good – I have not tried the oven myself, but I have heard that things like these will work in an oven (until you get a dehydrator) :D

61 Liz February 6, 2012 at 12:07 am

made these today! my NEW FAVORITE oh my goodness YUM-O!!

62 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I know, my favorite too!! I love the miso flavor and the crunch! mmm.

63 Rachel @ Following In My Shoes March 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

I adore making and “scarfing” kale chips — love this variation!

64 Grandma Wrinkles April 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm

my new favorite snack, amazing use of miso!

DMW

65 Vinny May 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm

best kale chip ever! I don’t know where you get these idea’s but awesome!