chocolate cherry mint smoothie

in daily smoothie,Gluten Free,recipes,Smoothie,snacks,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

When I was a kid, I got to walk around on Halloween night with The Hulk.

My best friend’s dad was a body builder, and each year he would paint his upper body and face green, and wear a tank top. As far as I recall, he simply wore regular pants, nothing ripped up Hulk-like. He loved walking around with all us kids, and we were obviously safe with The Hulk walking around with us.

I always thought that was pretty neat back then, and looking back now, I appreciate it even more. He was definitely one of my favorite ‘parents of a friend’ – he had the best sense of humor and always cracked me up. I used to go to church with their family, and he would purposely make me laugh by pretending to nod off snoring.

But that’s a story for another day.

Today’s smoothie is a recovery drink a bodybuilder or The Hulk would enjoy – from tart cherries which provide natural anti inflammatory properties to protein and these Ormus Greens – wow. They give me more energy! You all know I like my nutrients and minerals from the real deal – spinach and kale and other fruits and veggies – but these Ormus Greens really boast some great stats and I like to use this after a workout or as a snack. Ormus Greens is where the peppermint comes from, too.

chocolate cherry mint smoothie

a.k.a “The Hulk Smoothie”

serves one

1 1/4 cup water
2 scoops Sunwarrior raw chocolate protein
1 scoop Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens
1 tablespoon maca
1 tablespoon chia
large handful frozen tart cherries

All into the blender – Blend! Pour! Enjoy!

The first time I made this, as I was throwing the cherries in I thought “this is not going to taste good” but I was pleasantly surprised. The cherries are more of a tartness than a strong flavor, the chocolate is… well, chocolate, and the mint is a nice strong flavor.

Did you know any parents who would dress up on Halloween?
Did they also goof off in church? ;)

*Last I checked, my pepper jacks were in first place!! If you have not already voted, I would so appreciate if you did! Those who have – thank you Thank You THANK YOU again!

1 katie October 28, 2011 at 5:14 am

YAY for your recipe being in first place!!! SO excited! Will vote again!

Oh that is so cool about your dads friend dressing up like Hulk and taking you around trick or treating, how cool!

Happy Friday! This smoothie looks so great, everytime I think cherry I think red, and its funny its green, cherry is in there though I know!

2 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:23 am

I know… these cherries don’t really have the prominent color?? and these greens are REALLY green! :D

Happy Friday Katie!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 28, 2011 at 5:22 am

Fingers crossed on the peppers!!! My mom would occasionally dress up during the day b/c the others in her salon did, but that was the extent of it.

4 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

thank you, Heather!! your support means EVERYTHING to me! XO

5 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 28, 2011 at 5:28 am

the hulk..LOL

saw your cheezy pasta on FG last nite as i was submitting my Butterfingers. Not sure if they’ll make it or not, fingers crossed. You are on a ROLL lately…congrats!

6 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

thank you, Averie! :) FG likes me lately (knock on wood…) and TS has been liking me more too… not every time, but many more than … usual. ;) you made butterfingers?! I need to check these out…

7 lindsay October 28, 2011 at 5:31 am

ohh i voted, i shared, and I am crossing my fingers too! Thanks for the hulk, maybe he will make me big and strong!

8 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:20 am

thank you!! I appreciate your constant support and friendship, Lindsay. I need to say that more! XO

9 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 28, 2011 at 5:38 am

Yup, my parents always dressed up. My mom would dress up to walk me around the neighborhood (nothing major, something simple), and both of them would dress up for their yearly Halloween party. I had to go sleep at a friend’s place those nights. haha

10 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

so awesome – I love when parents get into the spirit. and you spent the night at a friend’s – that is even awesomer – must have been great parties!

11 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 28, 2011 at 6:06 am

yum! i need to pick up some frozen cherries to switch things up. i love the minty flavor of ormus greens

12 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:18 am

I love that minty flavor too! I just recently started using frozen cherries, and LOVE them – I add them to everything now.

13 Anne@A Gluten-Less Foodie October 28, 2011 at 7:11 am

Hey! How are the Sunwarrior protein products? It’s hard to find good GF ones!

14 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

hi Anne! I really like the chocolate raw powder and the greens… the only one I am not TOO much of a fan of is the vanilla, kindof a strong stevia taste. everything else, I LOVE! and I am picky, I’ve tried them all. ;)

15 Eden October 28, 2011 at 7:12 am

So everyone is drinking out of jars now. This means I need to do it too, right? Or are you all just out of glasses? ;)

16 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:16 am

haa. I know, lame? okay, to be fair, I was doing this way back in college. before it was a thing. of course, back then it was beer.

17 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

frozen cherries are my favorite smoothie addition. There’s only one specific grocery store that carries them around me so I buy like 5 bags at a time. I must look like a nut case to the cash register person.

18 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

haa – then I look like the same nutcase. I recently learned the wonder of the frozen cherry goodness.

19 Holly @ The Runny Egg October 28, 2011 at 8:46 am

Well my Dad was the pastor so he for sure didn’t goof off during church… I take that back — if he wasn’t preaching that Sunday he would goof off!

I love the story of the Hulk! My Dad would wear his bright orange hunting gear when he walked around with us — that way he was in “costume” as a hunter. Plus he stayed warm so that was a bonus for him!

20 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

ha – smart Dad and great costume! :D yeah… I suppose if Dad is the pastor… hmm… ;)

21 Aimee October 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

Sounds very tasty!

Hope you win with your peppers! :)

22 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

thank you SO much, Aimee! :D have a great weekend, my friend!

23 Sara Grambusch October 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

The Hulk, I love it! Cherries and greens are one of my favorite combos.

24 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love cherries too, it’s a new discovery for me and I’ve been adding them to ALL of my smoothies!

25 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

I like the combo of chocolate + cherry and chocolate + mint, but all three together sounds awesome!

My parents apparently used to have wild Halloween parties back in the 70s before I was born. I found all of these ridiculous old photos of them and their friends in amazing (sometimes dirty) costumes. Man, I wish they were still that cool!

26 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

haa – that’s hilarious. gotta love knowing your parents were cool ;)

27 Lacey October 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

On my first halloween, my parents dressed up as raggedy ann and andy, and I was their rag doll :)
My mom has always been very into all the holidays, so we’ve always done something super fun for Halloween. We were the people who built a haunted maze in our back yard every year…haha.

28 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:03 am

your parents!!? are awesome! :D

29 Lisa October 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

Yum! Looks awesome!
None of my friends’ parents were that much fun…but my dad was a 5th grade teacher so he dressed up for school on halloween (a clown and a bat were the ones I remember).

30 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:03 am

oh, yeah, as a fifth grade teacher your dad HAD to be cool :D

31 Lauren October 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

that looks great! Do the powders have the stevia taste though? I can’t seem to stomach the stevia sweetening flavor :(

32 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

hi Lauren – I am not a big fan of that taste either – the vanilla does taste a little like that to me, so I add things to it (or don’t buy it – ha!) but the chocolate does NOT. it’s good… and these Ormus Greens are SO awesome, and taste like mint. so good! if you’re interested, I bet they’d send you a sample?

33 Christin@purplebirdblog October 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My Ormus Greens don’t have a scoop! :) I LOVE the addition of the cherries to this smoothie… totally gonna hafta make one for myself!! :)

34 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I use one of my old scoops, Christin – but there SHOULD be one in there?? I usually find it about halfway through the bag… ;)

35 Christin@purplebirdblog October 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I dug around in there with a spoon and never found it… that’s why my measurements are always in teaspoons! ;)

36 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 1:04 am

hmm… I could have sworn my past bag had one ( this is only my second bag, and I thought I felt one in there the other day too… haven’t tried to dig it out yet. I use a smaller scoop, it’s definitely not the same size as the Sunwarrior protein scoop, so your teaspoons are probably just fine! :D

37 Roz@weightingfor50 October 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Not only does the smoothie look good, it looks EXTRA good in that jar!!! So simple but such a lovely presentation. Have a great Friday.

38 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 12:59 am

thank you, my friend! hope you have a great weekend!

39 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I haven’t done chocolate and cherries together in so long. This sounds delicious! I love the green…it’s my favorite color!

40 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 12:59 am

I love green too! :D at least in food… chocolate and cherries… Mmm! I’m a new convert to the frozen cherries in my smoothies, and I’m LOVING them!

41 Pure2raw twins October 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

love the name – the hulk! and love all that green!!!
we tried Ormus powder a few months ago and liked it, but lately we have been enjoying our spirulina and chorella powders.

I do not really remember our parents dressing up for Halloween , they left us kids being silly like that. LOL

42 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 12:55 am

I love spirulina... I remember back as far as college (that was a while ago for me!) I used spirulina and people looked at me like I was crazy. ;)

43 cassandre October 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm

i just wanted to say that i am a fairly new follower and i absolutely love your blog.. you have given me tons of potential recipes to try inspired by you :-) thanks

44 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 12:54 am

hello Cassandre! welcome, so happy you said hello! I’m really happy you will be trying some recipes, please do come back and let me know how they work out! Cheers!

45 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl October 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Over the summer, I was adding greens to all my in season berry smoothies. Didn’t exactly like the color (think strawberry +green + chocolate), but the taste didn’t take a toll :) I like to call it a chocolate- green monster shake :)

I also enjoy adding macs powder to my oats, smoothies, etc, but people have told me to be careful with the amount…. promise I haven’t felt anything yet!

46 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 12:53 am

yeah, I know how that looks – I have enjoyed the very same “colorful” smoothies, believe me! ;) they do taste great, though! and yes – maca is to be enjoyed in small doses, I wouldn’t want to overdo that.

47 Shirley @ gfe October 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Haha on the parents dressing up for Halloween also goofing off in church! Love this photo, Kristina! I’d sure like to see your “prop” closet, missy. Or is a whole room? ;-)

xo,
Shirley

48 spabettie October 29, 2011 at 12:47 am

haa haa, Shirley – I have thought before about doing a post about my photography, and including photos of my prop area. it is a pretty big space. :D I’ll work on that… XXO

49 Lou October 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Go Pepper-Jacks, go!

What a cool “Hulk” Dad… I would so love to experience a Halloween in the States, you guys are nutty for it over there, looks like a blast :)

50 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

haa – you’re right, we ARE nutty for it here! it is one of my favorites. you really should come experience it sometime!!

51 Scott November 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

chocolate and cherry is my favorite combo – this looks great!

52 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

if you like that combination you should definitely try this, Scott! Cheers, have a great week!

53 Sara December 30, 2011 at 12:51 am

I am loving your juice and smoothies, betty! thank you for providing a delicious resource!

54 Lida February 27, 2012 at 12:22 pm

YUM!

55 Jac March 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm

YUM, this was very good, thank you for your recipes!