pumpkin smoothie

in daily smoothie,Gluten Free,recipes,Smoothie,Vegan

I know. I just shared my chai-spiked pumpkin milkshake. A glorious thing, you all agreed. A few of you asked for the pumpkin smoothie I make. I am currently enjoying these on vacation, so here it is!

We enjoy these smoothies in the morning.

Basil enjoys the sunshine in the morning.

Basil looking out over Elliot Bay.

He finds his patch of sunshine and will follow it along the balcony all morning…

You know he’s wondering if his smoothie is ready yet

pumpkin smoothie

serves two

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

4-5 handfuls spinach (a VitaMix full!)
2 cups water
3 scoops vanilla protein
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons sweetener (agave)
ice cubes (optional)

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend; add ice cubes for icy cold smoothie.

These are easy to make on vacation – you know I travel with my blender. Bring a couple cans of pumpkin with you, and since this road trip was only a few hours drive, I brought my own spinach, too. I always travel with protein powder (I think even if I forget to pack it I have a couple sample packages in my handbag at all times) and pumpkin pie spice is easy enough to pack.

Cheers!

Do you bring food on road trips?

1 Abby November 1, 2011 at 4:31 am

I’m with Basil, in that I chase sunshine and good (easy) vegan food ;)

And although I don’t vacation, I do travel for work and make sure to take staples with me. Most hotels don’t have a fridge, but I bring Larabars, almonds, oatmeal, dried fruit, shredded wheat, etc. to fill in the gaps. Truth be told, I make room for these things before my shoes in my bags. No shame!

2 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

well, I can’t say I don’t think about my shoes, too, but… equally as much as the food, I suppose! ;)

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 1, 2011 at 4:33 am

I take food literally everywhere I go! Tony used to call them my hobo snacks, but now that his options are limited he packs some too! I need that smoothies! I just worked out and now I need super fuel! Have fun and relax on your trip. Steal some of that sun from Basil!

4 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:46 am

hobo snacks, ha! it’s good, though, and I bet Tony has benefited from you having snacks available when he is hungry!! :D and I definitely shared the sun with Basil…

5 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 1, 2011 at 4:38 am

I opened this post after seeing the title expecting to see an orange shake…and it’s green. You’re keeping me on my toes :)

6 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

sure am! ;) almost always green around here

7 Christin@purplebirdblog November 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Hahaha I thought the same thing, Averie!! :D

8 Curt November 1, 2011 at 5:13 am

Ah, it’s the spinach. I was wondering why it was green and not pumpkin colored.

Awesome! A glorious thing!

9 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:43 am

yes – spinach! can’t even taste it but you can feel it – SO much energy! :D

10 Curt November 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

Yea yea, okay Popeye! :)

11 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

haa! ;)

12 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 1, 2011 at 5:32 am

Sounds so good – almost like a treat rather than something healthy. I don’t take any appliances, but always have food with me.

13 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

I only take my blender when it’s easy… and I’m not fanatical about it, I do eat regular food… I just LOVE my morning smoothie! :D (I stop at bringing my juicer…)

14 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 1, 2011 at 6:07 am

I still haven’t tried agave sweetener. I need to get on that…

15 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love it! although now I hear people saying agave isn’t good. pssshhh. whatever. ;)

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 1, 2011 at 6:12 am

I wish it were acceptable to follow sunshine from room to room and lay in it like dogs do. They’ve got quite the life, no?
I bring nut butter packets wherever I go and sometimes chia seeds :)

17 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

I know – dogs do have it pretty good – this one does, at least. :D and he LOVES the sun. he’d sit out in the sun all day during the summer… yes – nut butter packets! last month my dad was in the hospital and I was hungry… I ate a nut butter packet and got a couple looks… ;)

18 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen November 1, 2011 at 6:23 am

Ha! DO I bring food on trips? I’ve been thinking more about what snacks I’ll back for Foodbuzz this weekend than what I’m going to wear. :)

I cannot believe that during the whole VeganMoFo I so neglected your blog…so happy to be back! [And you would have been proud of me yesterday when I had to do a live cooking demo at work and I made Vegan Pumpkin Mousse!!!]

19 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

yay, there you are! too busy MoFo-ing to read? :D good to see you! and I am SO excited you’re taking vegan to the cooking demos! you don’t even have to tell people, just do it! :D yay!

have fun at foodbuzz!!

20 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

i pretty much make the same pumpkin smoothie as yours above.. and to me it tastes like egg nog! loveee pumpkin smoothies.
and my doxie loves the sun, he’ll find any place to lay just to stay warm. must be nice! :)

21 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:33 am

Basil is such a sun pup… he will lay in a patch of sun all afternoon. (yep, must be nice!). I add pumpkin to smoothies a lot, but this time of year, yeah, gotta make it taste seasonal! :D

22 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 1, 2011 at 6:50 am

I absolutely bring food on road trips. Especially since having a little one!

23 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

oh, I’m sure I’d pack even more if I had a kiddo! :)

24 Nichole November 1, 2011 at 7:45 am

I am going to book a ticket and come take Basil on a weekend getaway. Aww, missing my baby now, lol.

Glad your back and refreshed!

Packing clothes is enough to take hours, I can’t imagine something as creative as this. You’ve one up’d me here:)

25 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:30 am

aww… I know. he’s coming soon, right? sweet little guy. <3 Basil sends love and full body wags to you in the meantime…

26 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 1, 2011 at 7:51 am

I can’t say that I bring SPINACH with me when traveling, but definitely have protein powder in the car/diaper bag. And I always have an almond/raisin mix on hand!

27 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

what, spinach too much? :D usually I just go shopping when I arrive, but… it’s less than a 3 hour drive and I already had it. ;)

28 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

I always ALWAYS bring food when I travel. Whether it’s a road trip or somewhere that I travel to on an airplane, I HAVE to have my essentials and healthy options with me. I usually bring apples, bananas, a few different bars, nuts and dried fruit. Whenever we visit my father-in-law in Boston, I bring all the essential ingredients for oatmeal as well. I don’t bring any appliances with me though. :) But, I did used to travel with a sound machine before I found a trusty app on my phone for it!
About the smoothie- I make punkin’ smoothies all the time- I love them! But, I always freeze the pumpkin puree (which requires pre-planning of course). Do you ever do that?

29 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 10:00 am

you sound like me – air travel requires snacks, and I always bring the exact same! I’ve never really enjoyed airplane food (although sometimes I’m surprised!!), so I’ve always brought my own.

you know, I’ve been meaning to freeze my pumpkin!! I love to use frozen fruit in smoothies in place of having to use ice, so it would seem natural to do it with the pumpkin too! I’m just so used to (almost) always having pumpkin in the fridge, I use it a lot. I’m going to freeze some tonight! :D

30 katie November 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

I SO wish I could pack my vita mix with me on vacation! I mean if drivingI can, but no good with flying!

Oh I want to see Basil in his costume!!! I thought you would have it packed ; )

31 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

well, yeah, I only take the Vita in the car… never have on the plane (yet!) ;) did you not see Basil’s costume before?? –> Basil turtle < -- I'll see if I have any left on my phone from this trip, I think somethings were not transferred from bluetooth...

32 Megan - Best of Fates November 1, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’m envious of Basil – I want to sit in the sun and have someone bring me a smoothie!

33 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

he’s pretty much got it made, right? ;)

34 Yadsia @ShopCookMake November 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Such a cute dog, I wanna pinch those ears! The smoothie looks good too.

35 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

thank you, Yadsia! :D Basil enjoys his spinach too…

36 Horizon At Fleetwood November 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

This pumpkin smoothie looks like a delicious way to celebrate the fall while also getting a healthy dose of protein!

37 Tiffany November 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Definitely bring food on the road with me. I also have a little travel pack that I take with me whenever I fly with a bar, gummy bears and granola just in case I get stranded somewhere and don’t want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for food.

And because I’m random…..I now have the visual of you chilling in a rest stop blending a smoothie together while hoards of people walk by you thinking “Is she really blending a smoothie here at the rest stop?” Could be a business-just sayin :)

PS-I guess I really want you to open up your business since I keep throwing the idea out there!

38 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Awwww little Basil….Hudson always finds the most random sun spots in the condo. Sometimes he’s in my den under my desk, sometimes he’s pinned himself behind the couch and the window. Funny sun lover!

Mmmmm I love smoothies!!!! I always take them to go with me!

xxoo

39 Richa@HobbyandMore November 2, 2011 at 11:10 am

just a few sunny mornings left in seattle.. basil is super cute!.. if u bump into a fluffy black and tan pom wit a white and black bushy tail carrying a tennis ball.. that would be our chewie.. the only pom in belltown/downtown area who carries his tennis ball:) ..
I am at Western and Vine.. a block from the piers.. give me a holler on betit19 on twitter if you are passing by on your way to the sculpture park! :) we’d love to meet u!

40 Erika Luna November 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

What if you aren’t able to get ahold of some vanilla protein? What else would you suggest?

41 spabettie November 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Hi Erika, if you do not want to add protein, this would be good without – perhaps add a banana for some natural sweetness and ‘bulk’.

42 Pure2raw twins November 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Basil is so cute!!
And oh yes we always travel with food :)

43 Katie November 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I crave smoothies on an hourly basis. I’m always looking for new ideas – the good news is that I have ALL of this on hand. Breakfast tomorrow! (Or late night snack tonight. Dang blender, I wish it wasn’t so loud, I’m afraid to wake the baby.)

44 Sandy November 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

looks delicious!

45 Pat November 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm

this was delicious and kept me going all morning!