peanut butter banana fruit roll

in Breakfast,dehydrator,Dessert,Gluten Free,Vegan

Two of Basil’s favorite foods. While I was making these, he was walking through the kitchen, his nose pointed up like Snoopy, sniffing sniffing sniffing…

I let him lick the spatula and he was SO happy:

So, this isn’t really a recipe -

two ingredients, two appliances, more than two hours

I made a small amount to test this; it sounded good in theory, but if it ended up gross I didn’t want to have to waste eat much.

peanut butter banana fruit roll

vegan, gluten free, delicious

2 bananas, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons peanut butter

Blend at high speed until smooth – less than one minute. Spread onto dehydrator sheet; dehydrate at 125-135 for 4-5 hours.

This may work in an oven, lowest heat setting with the door open. Use a baking sheet lined with parchment.

These were sweet like a banana chip (childhood memory – bulk bins at the health food store!) and the peanut butter added a great flavor and a stronger consistency, if that makes sense. I would make these again.

Basil is happy.

…and so am I!

Jason is flying home as I type this, and I get to go pick him up and we are going to lunch with friends and taking the rest of the day off! Weekend, activate!

Yeah. He is the other half, my Wonder Twin.

Snoopy, Superfriends… what was your favorite cartoon?

Peanut butter and banana – yes or no?

Happy Friday!

1 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} November 11, 2011 at 5:45 am

I never thought of putting peanut butter in a fruit roll. Yum! I bet it was delicious!

2 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:21 am

I was so excited when I thought of it… I made this right away! it’s pretty good… you have to want that flavor, because it is different from a normal “fruity” roll. :D

3 Curt November 11, 2011 at 5:53 am

Great combination. Sounds excellent.

If Basil likes it, I’m sure I will too!

4 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:20 am

hee – yes, Curt, this is Basil approved! :D have a great weekend!

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 11, 2011 at 6:01 am

love the pb + banana combo. It’s usually my afternoon snack. :)
My dog can smell pb from a mile away. The second that jar is open, she’s in the kitchen like “where’s mine?”

6 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:20 am

my afternoon snack is often something with peanut butter… even if that something is a spoon ;) Basil HEARS the peanut butter jar when I open it!! that’s why he’s been confused lately when I make my own – it’s not always in a jar! ;)

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 11, 2011 at 6:01 am

PB and B = Perfect. That was my oatmeal combo this morning in fact. Those look fantastic. Would love to try one. Basil is just so darn cute.

8 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:18 am

yep, peanut butter and banana are second only to peanut butter chocolate in my book ;) have a great weekend, Heather!

9 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe November 11, 2011 at 6:02 am

Another awesome idea. I’ve been really impressed with the flavor ideas you’ve come up with for these dried fruit rolls. Really want a dehydrator now!

10 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:12 am

thanks, Alayna – I’ve really been having fun with this thing! :D

11 Abby November 11, 2011 at 6:15 am

Toasted Ezekiel bread with sunflower seed butter and a banana with a side of green veggies = my lunch or dinner at least four times a week. I have no shame.

12 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:40 am

YUM – that sounds awesome. really. I may make that for breakfast… :D have a great weekend, Abby!

13 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 11, 2011 at 6:39 am

Love it – peanut butter makes everything yummy and I love it with banana. I may try this with the oven setting, no luck finding a dehydrator yet. :)

Oh – and we’re planning on enjoying your blinis, with creme fraiche (vegan) and caviar (vegan) tonight with some sparkling wine! So excited! :)

14 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:46 am

let me know how it goes with the oven? I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, may take longer, but I don’t know?

and YAY – sounds like a lovely plan for the evening – ENJOY! can’t wait to hear about the caviar! :D Cheers!

15 Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

Yum– love this idea! And I LOVE the banana pb combo. You can’t beat it. :-)

16 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 6:44 am

ha – Anna I just said the ONLY thing that beats it is peanut butter CHOCOLATE. that’s only my humble opinion… ;)

17 Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketchfreevegan November 11, 2011 at 6:56 am

These look awesome! I remember having fruit roll-ups as a kid, which i’m sure were filled with refined corn syrup etc…and pb and banana is the best combo ever!

18 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:28 am

I know, me too – I loved fruit roll ups, I’m sure they have ghastly ingredients. ;) I LOVE to make these, I haven’t even added sugar! so good.

19 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 11, 2011 at 7:21 am

barusz has a problem with not chewing… he basically just swallows people food. sometimes i worry about him choking hahaha its horrible! he also has a serious obsession with nuts- every time i go to eat some, he comes running from wherever he is because he hears the jar open. same with hard boiled eggs- he comes running when he hears me crack it on the counter, its hysterical! crazy mutt

20 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:27 am

that is awesome – Basil is THE SAME!! He hears the pb jar open, he comes running and tilts his head to the side when I’d peel an egg… he’s in the kitchen MOST of the time, and if not he is watching from a high vantage point on the couch… ;)

21 katie November 11, 2011 at 7:24 am

omg I love his sweater he is rocking today! So cute!

Hmmmm these look even better than the watermelon ones! Love !

Happy Friday! xoxo <3

22 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:25 am

honestly, I am partial to the watermelon, but just because when I think of a fruit roll I think fresh fruity, you know? these are good, but different! :D

have a great weekend, Katie, you and your family! XO

23 Laura November 11, 2011 at 7:36 am

Now, I must add a dehydrator to my Xmas list b/c between these and the watermelons, my family would have great snacks!! Will start looking around for one.
Next up maybe pb, banana and chocolate? How wrong could it be?
Birthday party weekend w/ choc. dipped rice crispy treats!

24 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

I know – I’m WAAAAY ahead of ya on the chocolate… ;) have a great weekend and ENJOY the crispies!! :D

25 Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana November 11, 2011 at 7:50 am

Heh heh! Are you saying Basil likes peanut butter and banana roll ups? Lol… this might prompt me to finally go buy that dehydrator! Not sure my cat Cookie would be such a good kitchen companion, but that’s ok.

26 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

hee hee – I didn’t actually give him one, but he DID get the mixture beforehand… and loved it! I’m sure he would love the finished product too…

27 Christin@purplebirdblog November 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

My ideal fruit snack!!! I also often say “wonder twins, activate,” and I’m also fond of “form like Voltron.” Favorite cartoon back in the day had to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

28 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:21 am

I love that you say that. :) would you believe I never have seen TMNT ? weird. although I watched VERY few cartoons back then… Looney Tunes and Peanuts holiday shows… I do like Adult Swim now though :D

29 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 11, 2011 at 8:15 am

oh my gosh WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I love pb & banana, & I toootally wanna try them in a fruit roll! I never woulda thought to do that. Bookmarked ;)

30 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 8:20 am

thanks, Char! they are REALLY good, and I’m not really one for the really sweet banana flavor (I prefer GREEN!). enjoy!

31 Dorry November 11, 2011 at 9:43 am

love PB & banana! Absolutely one of my favorite combos…add dark chocolate and I’m in heaven. Basil and Snoopy would be such cute friends in real life. Enjoy your afternoon off!

32 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm

oh, I loved Snoopy! :D yeah, I am scheming of something chocolate for the dehydrator…

33 spabettiemom November 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oh..I love it….there is that ‘nervous yawn’….the sweet Basil…great picture of him in the Thunder Shirt too….love pb & nanas…remember when Tasha would come running when we “opened” a banana!!.she would hear that snap and come running….do you remember when we were gone one day and she got up on the counter and ate the banana …all that was left was the banana peel …in tact…..my favorite cartoon was Boris and Natasha..(boy does that age me or what..hee hee)

34 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I know, I still talk about that – one day it will be the legend of Tasha, who could eat a banana without opening it! :D (there, something that even the famed Hansel didn’t do!!) :D

35 Cara November 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

When I was a kid, I used to get fruit roll-ups in my lunch. It always made me so sad that they disappeared so fast (I could literally gobble it down in 2 bites) so I used to wrap it around my thumb and suck on it forever. It was the “cool” thing to do with roll-ups back in the day (though looking back, it seems rather ridiculous…and unsanitary!) These peanut butter and banana rolls make me wanna wash my hands thoroughly and roll them onto my thumb again :)

36 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm

“makes me want to wash my hands thoroughly…” that is HILARIOUS! :D I’d say that’s a good review ;)

37 Cara November 12, 2011 at 7:34 am

It’s funny to think how clean I have become as I age… I am willing to write that review on your business website for selling your roll ups :)

38 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:10 am

haa! :D

39 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

Peanut butter – yes…banana – maybe. PB and Chocolate – now THAT would be a fun one to do..wonder how it would turn out? But Basil can’t eat chocolate, so I’D get to like the spatula! ;)

40 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

haa – that spatula would be all yours, my friend! :D

41 Rande McDaniel @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen November 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

Archie comics FTW!! Peanut butter and banana also ftw but I’d have to say almond butter is just a little bit more of a win for me ;)

42 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

ah, Archie… I chose a recipient on the holiday giving tree at the mall that wanted those comics! I loved those, and had a bunch of the old ones. I gave them all of those and then also bought new ones – I still hope that kid was just so excited to get that! :D

43 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Heck yeah peanut butter and banana! I’m guessing your man is back now and your world is right where it needs to be! I hope you have an incredible weekend!

Oh and Smurfs all the way! Of all cartoons from my past, I remember those being my Saturday morning pick although Looney Toons is my all time favorite!

44 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm

YES! always so good to have him home, and Basil FLIPS out too. ;) Looney Tunes were the best, right? :D

45 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Easy and great looking. Awesome photos! And I bet your house smelled fantastic for those 4-5 hours!

46 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:39 pm

it did – I love that about the dehydrator process… :D

47 Lisa B November 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm

PB and banana….a winner in my book!

My fave cartoons were the Smurfs, the Gummy Bears, the Snorks, Jem, the Flinstones, and the Jetsons….it sounds like I watched a lot of tv from that—I don’t think I did (well maybe on saturday mornings!)

48 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm

haa – yeah, some of those I don’t even recognize, although a Gummi Bear cartoon??! I SHOULD have known about that one! ;)

49 Shirley @ gfe November 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

What a fun idea, Kristina! They look perfect. :-) I’m surprised that you didn’t calle them Fat Elvis Rolls or something. Hehe. Love that you made sweet Basil happy with the spatula, too. ;-)

Oh, I wasn’t a big cartoon gal, but I remember enjoying Rocco’s Modern Life with Son when he was younger. Good times!

xo,
Shirley

50 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:18 am

ha – what a GREAT name, Shirley!! totally didn’t think of anything that cool! :) if I use it I will credit you, of course! :D and yes, Basil was in bliss with the spatula…

51 Lou November 11, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Peanut butter+ banana = massive YES!!! I need a dehydrator for xmas :)

52 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:13 am

massive yes – indeed! I hope you get one…

53 Pure2raw twins November 12, 2011 at 7:23 am

wow!!! those are perfect. wish we could eat peanut butter, but I bet any nut butter would be great!!! we really need to try making a fruit roll!!

54 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m sure any nut butter would work – mmm, even sunflower seed? have a great week, girls!

55 Jenn@slim-shoppin November 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

Wow those look great – who knew you could do that with only 2 ingredients!

My favorite cartoon characters is Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin. There is one line in their movie where Christopher Robin comes to get Winnie the Pooh. And Winnie the Pooh says “It’s the very best part of my day = when you and me become “we”.

I love that

56 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:10 am

oh, this just made me smile big! I love pretty much any quote from Pooh. :D

57 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

OMG!!!! OMG!!!!! I love peanut butter…I love fruit and I love this!!!

Remember fruit roll ups?? I used to put them on my fingers….jeez..

xxoo

58 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:58 am

haa, Kris that is so funny – you are the second person to say something about wrapping them around your fingers! :D

59 Kath (My Funny Little Life) November 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I absolutely adore your fruit rolls! But then I have to admit that I’m neither a friend of PB nor banana … :?

60 Katrina November 12, 2011 at 10:13 pm

That sounds so good!

61 hihorosie November 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm

ooh, yes please!

62 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:38 am

haa haa – right?? :D

63 lindsay November 13, 2011 at 4:08 am

i let my sister in law borrow my dehydrator so i am definitely going to send her this. My nieces and nephews will LOVE it!

64 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:17 am

yes! and then make her share with you?? :D

65 Rachel November 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Yum this looks awesome!

66 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

thank you, Rachel! :)

67 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

PB + Banana?!?! Yes, yes YES!!!
Your fruit rolls always look so pretty- is your dehydrator rectangular in shape? Mine is a circle, so I never get nice, uniform fruit roll like yours!

68 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

thank you, Lauren! :) yes, it’s the flat squares. you should try the oven, on the lowest setting with door open? just use a baking sheet with parchment. I haven’t tried lately, but I am hearing it DOES work.

69 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons November 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I’m surprised Basil didn’t run off with the spoon! I would have!!! =)

70 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

I think he tried… he LOVES his peanut butter and banana!

71 Nichole November 14, 2011 at 2:10 am

Your fruit roll combos are amazing! This is another one of my faves. I love pB & banana sandwiches and french toast. mmmm.

Look at Basil’s fashion statement!!

72 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:09 am

oooh, yeah, peanut butter + banana french toast is SO good! reminds me of my Grandpa Z…

73 Kath (My Funny Little Life) November 14, 2011 at 4:42 am

wag wag wag
wiggle wiggle wiggle
being in the lab
doesn’t make me giggle

74 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:07 am

awww! Basil is sitting in front of the heater right now, and I said “Basil? Kath says hello!” and now his tail is thumping on the pillow… :D

75 janetha November 14, 2011 at 2:03 pm

this recipe may call for a visit to momma b’s house to use her dehydrator!

76 spabettie November 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm

yeah! they were really yum!

77 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) November 14, 2011 at 7:54 pm

These are so neat! I never used to be a peanut butter & banana girl but as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned to like it. I guess I can’t eat fluffernutters forever?

78 spabettie November 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm

um, why not??!! :D

79 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

Why aren’t my bananas riper?! I absolutely love the simplicity of this!

80 spabettie November 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I made this with fresh just this side of green bananas – they get to the ripe flavor while they’re in there! :D

81 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Ooh, good tip! Thanks!

82 Jessy (squeezetheday) November 20, 2011 at 6:37 am

I love this idea, but I don’t have a dehydrator. Have you (or anyone else) tried it with an oven?

83 spabettie November 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

hi Jessy! I have not tried dehydrating in my oven, BUT I have heard that others do! set your oven at the lowest setting, and keep the oven door open. the timing should be about the same? let me know if you try!

84 Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} November 21, 2011 at 12:30 am

what a cool idea! too bad i don’t have a dehydrator. love the pics.

85 spabettie November 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm

hi Hillary!! how are you?? with each dehydrator recipe I share, I get suggestions that they can be done in the oven… most with directions of “lowest heat, door open, same time frame” -so… you MIGHT be able to try these with an oven?

How are you? great to ‘see’ you! XO

86 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hmmm. Loooks like a good travel food (I’m always trying to come up with those). PB & Banana is in my opinion the best combo of all- better than PB&J. Knowing me, I’d have to pimp them out with some protein powder or egg white powder but that shouldn’t affect the cooking/dehydrating?

PS I had Basil’s shirt in the 8th grade. Mine had a white collar. Oh yah, I was badazz. Were you around when red and blue stripy shirts/sweaters were all the rage about a millennium ago?

87 Tina December 27, 2011 at 9:44 am

my favorite flavors, I never would have thought to do this, though! so creative!

88 Lauri Hubbard January 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

my favorite flavors!! can this be managed in an oven?

89 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm

hi Lauri, I have not tried it, but a reader of mine did and said it worked. lowest temperature with the oven door open, several hours.