ginger cranberry sauce

in Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

Little Kristina always wanted to help “cook” at the holidays – my tasks included setting the table, preparing¬†lime jello salad, and plating cranberry sauce.

Even back then, I played up the irony of the canned sauce, leaving it in can form and serving it in the prettiest plate I could find – most often in an elaborate crystal serving dish. I would carefully carry it to the table as the can shape slid and wiggled around the plate.

Although I have wanted to make my own cranberry sauce, this year was the first time I actually did. I already cannot wait to make it again! First, it is so easy. Second, this stuff is amazing.

I picked up a box of fresh cranberries at the farmers market, along with some raspberries and a peach for sweetness. A bit of lemon juice and zest add layers of flavor and texture, and the best part? Fresh ginger!

I will never give cranberry sauce the side eye again. I love this stuff.

cranberry sauce

vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, can free

1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1 peach, peeled and pitted
1 pint box fresh cranberries
1-2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, optional

Blend raspberries and peach into a puree, heat in saucepan on medium high heat. Add cranberries, continue to heat on medium high, stirring occasionally. Add juice and zest of lemon, and finely minced ginger. Depending on sweet flavor desired, add maple syrup to taste. Continue on medium heat, most cranberries will have popped open and the mixture will reduce to a sauce. Remove from heat and cool completely.

This sauce looks so much better in a pretty dish.

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 19, 2011 at 6:45 am

This is gorgeous. I loved canned cranberry sauce as a kid. I brought my own to Thanksgiving dinner at my grandparent’s house. I’ve grown up a bit now and appreciate the “real” ones though and this one looks delicious. The fresh ginger in it probably puts it over the edge. :)

2 Lacey December 19, 2011 at 6:47 am

My husband just realized the other day that the canned stuff has lines in it because the can was shaped that way…haha.

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 19, 2011 at 6:47 am

It looks awesome and when I made cran-orange-mango chutney for Thanksgiving, I vowed to never go back to just using cranberries. I want to try yours…raspberries and peaches…WOW. Delish!

4 Cara December 19, 2011 at 7:03 am

Do you listen to/heard of Adam Carolla? He cracks me up with his anger against everything, and anti-cranberry sauce in a can has been his gospel message for the past several years. He gives out his homemade cranberries recipe every time around this year. Made me think of him while reading this :) Now, I understand this little story is probably more entertaining for me if you haven’t heard this. Then again, I’m boring myself now. I’m going to end this comment.

5 Kai December 19, 2011 at 10:48 am

haha this made me laugh :)

6 Evan Thomas December 19, 2011 at 7:14 am

Yum! This is exactly the kind of cranberry sauce that I love. So glad that you’re back to posting recipes :-)

7 spabettie December 19, 2011 at 7:23 am

thank you, Evan, that is GOOD to hear! we are nearing the end of our long vacation, and it’s all recipes all the time again! (it will also be good to catch up with everyone, we have been out of the country with limited internet!) :D happy holidays to you!

8 Curt December 19, 2011 at 7:19 am

Wow, this sounds delicious! So many different great flavors together!

9 Lisa B December 19, 2011 at 7:40 am

This looks amazing! I never had cranberry sauce from a can until I was in college…and I liked it. Growing up I hated the homemade stuff…now, you couldn’t pay me to eat it out of a can :)
I love the idea of ginger in this!

10 cate December 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love this idea! again, such a creative recipe, well done! and WELCOME BACK (are you back yet??). I missed you and your recipes!

11 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca December 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

Omg, I love the idea of adding ginger and lemon! And raspberries and peach! My mouth is watering :)

12 lindsay December 19, 2011 at 11:19 am

oh the lime jello salad. that brings back memories. This looks delicious. I could eat it plain though, just hand me a spoon!

13 Christin@purplebirdblog December 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

Seriously… this was my first year to make cranberry sauce as well, and OMG what the hell have I been waiting for?! Though I’m not gonna lie… I loved the canned crap as a kid and we straight up sliced it in can shape and served it laid out on a pretty crystal plate too. Awe-some. ;)

14 janetha December 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

your giveaways are fun.. but what i love are your recipes! yum!

15 katie December 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love this, now this looks like the BEST cranberry sauce ever!

Hope you are well love! xoxo

Hi Basil!!!!!! : )

16 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} December 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I love cranberry sauce too…now! I suppose the foodie in us finally came out in our later years.
I’ve been so out of it with the holiday craziness. I hope your trip was fabulous!

17 Dorry December 19, 2011 at 5:36 pm

that photo of Basil is HILARIOUS! made my day. and I love homemade cranberry sauce – the added ginger sounds delicious.

18 Pure2raw Twins December 19, 2011 at 6:41 pm

beautiful photos!!! I wish I could eat the sauce now. I love all the ingredients in that dish especially love the touch of ginger!!!

19 Erin December 20, 2011 at 12:06 am

Ginger! That sounds like a perfect addition :) So yummy. I love the childhood story. I can just picture the juxtaposition of can-imprinted sauce on gorgeous plate. Love!

20 Phil December 21, 2011 at 10:34 am

I laughed at this, we did the same thing growing up, with the slippery “can” of sauce in a nice plate. merry christmas, betty!

21 Jeri December 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

this looks So Good!! I think I may venture away from my can this year? your story made me smile. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

22 Kath (My Funny Little Life) December 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This looks wonderful! I love you added ginger, it’s one of my favorite spices. :)

23 spabettie December 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

we love ginger too… I always have a fresh root of it in the fridge (mostly for juicing) and I’ve been chopping off a little piece to steep in my morning tea – SO good!

24 Gram February 18, 2012 at 12:29 am

nowhere near the holidays, but I needed this flavor just now. I made this and love it, your tarts are up next thank you!

25 Jenn @therebelchick April 25, 2012 at 8:58 am

You always have the most amazing recipes!

26 spabettie April 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

thank you Jenn – this just made my day more than you could know, and for a couple of reasons… :)

27 Jenn @therebelchick April 25, 2012 at 9:17 am

Aw! I love all of your recipes but I am usually too lazy to comment. LOL :)

28 spabettie April 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I know, I don’t expect people to comment all the time… yours just came at a perfect time, I had just received one of those rare bullies being negative. *sigh* so it was a very welcome compliment! :D thank you for reading, Jenn!

29 Laurie November 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

About how many people would one recipe serve? If I can’t find fresh peaches anywhere, what would be the next best healthy option for a peach?

30 Kristina Sloggett November 17, 2012 at 8:50 am

hi Laurie, this recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups, or about the equivalent of one can cranberry sauce? it is easily doubled if you have a large crowd, and makes great leftovers.

I would say any stone fruit would sub well, perhaps a pear? you could use an orange, another great flavor in cranberry sauce.

cheers!