the critters on vacation

in travel

Many of you will not be surprised that one of my recaps of our Mexico trip focuses on all the animals and critters I saw. I am writing about what we ate, cities we visited and places we stayed, and will share those soon.

I hold most all animals near and dear, and delighted in seeing them everywhere. I know some of you can appreciate!

I took this photo upon checking into our first room in San Pancho. Looking out our top floor window, this pup greeted me from the roof next door! It was the entrance to an apartment next door, and the dog liked to hang out on the roof. He was there a lot.

Such a cutie.

While working hard swinging the morning away in a hammock, I spied a lizard couple climbing a tree.

Can you see them?

How about now?

The girl lizard gave chase.

The boy, chased.

Then he saw the paparazzi and his neck got all crazy defensive!

Maybe he was showing off for the camera?

These pretty birds were everywhere – and they sang lovely songs.

For several days we stayed in a great place in San Pancho – outdoor kitchen, sleeping area with palapa roof and mosquito netting, and a bathroom with a tree growing right in the middle! One of the walls was made up of tree trunks, open to the outside. This little guy was in that bathroom, and he hung out there for three days.

He started out on the wall, the next day he was on this leaf at the base of that tree. I’ll show more detail later about this place we stayed – it was great!

Different from the huge ones in the palm tree up there, these little lizards were all over the place. This little guy was in our kitchen.

Can you imagine how excited I was to see a dachshund?

She wasn’t always excited to see me – here she is giving me a big woooof.

The final few days of our trip, we stayed at a great B&B, complete with beirgarten. The owners lived on site, and had two dogs. What better dog to stay in a beirgarten than a dachshund?

They also had a sweet lab.

It was nice to be able to hang out with pups, when I was missing mine.

Can you believe I was lucky enough to not see one spider?

1 Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ahhhhh… you know I love the sweet babies big and small, bird and mammal and reptile alike! Except spiders… so I’m DEFINITELY glad you didn’t see one!! ;) I used to have a lizard, and I totally want another one. I loved watching her wake up in the morning when I turned the heat lamp on, eventually poking her little head out and making her way to bask in the warmth. I also liked watching her go to bed, slinking around and digging the best hole for her to burrow into. She was awesome. :)

2 spabettie January 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Christin, I KNEW you would like this! :D one thing I loved is all the pups, they were everywhere! I actually saw quite a few dachshunds.

so, lizard girl – you might know what kind of lizard that big guy is, with the striped tail and funny neck thing? is that a defensive move, when it opens up like that? it was pretty cool to see. these two lizards love that tree, I watched them for several days…

3 Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Definitely some variety of iguana. The funny neck thing is called a dewlap, and extended can definitely be a defensive move (to make himself look bigger), but it also can mean a simple hello or be used to regulate temperature. Ahhh I love them so!!

And seriously, that long haired little doxie is SO effing cute. xo

4 spabettie January 3, 2012 at 5:52 pm

yeeee! PLEASE tell me you are a Simpsons fan?? there was an episode where Lisa was teaching Maggie about the cow with a hump, the ZEBU. “hump, dewlap – hump, dewlap!” :D

5 Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH yes!! I hadn’t thought about that in a looooong time! HUMP AND DEWLAP! :D

6 Abby January 3, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Yay for critters! I’m instantly drawn to the furry ones and find comfort in their presence whenever I go somewhere (given they’re not huge and rabid or something.)

And while I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of reptiles or amphibians particularly, I do envy the way they take to the heat rocks and bask in the sun, as I do the same thing every chance I get.

7 spabettie January 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I’m not a fan of reptiles in the way that I would want one as a pet (preferring cuddly animals like dogs, or monkeys!), but I do like to watch them, and also appreciate their basking in the sun – as I like to do the same (I always say I want to crawl up on a warm rock…) :D

8 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D I love them all! I’ve always liked to watch animals, we can learn so much from them! I remember when I watched the ducks resting at the laked opposed to my parents’ house (on one leg! For hours!), and I thought, “Wow, these ducks really know how to relax! They seem to be in perfect peace with themselves.” I think many animals have this ability or natural skill to live in the moment, what seems to be so hard for many humans. Personally, I’ve always been a “critters” person, with frogs, lizards, and snakes being my favorite animals. Seeing that little frog on the leaf or the lizard resting in the sand in the pic below made my heart hop from joy. Lizards have the cutest feet, with those little knobs on their toes … Uiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! <3

9 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

oh, Kath, you would have LOVED it there, then! little lizards everywhere, and that frog hung out in our bath for 3 days!! I love watching animals, and agree they do live in the moment, without the complexities of us humans! :D we would be smart to take a cue from the animals…

10 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Always interesting to see what wildlife lives where. Thanks for the fun post :)

11 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

it was a fun post to make :)

12 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Seeing pups on vacation always makes me smile b/c I’m usually missing mine. Love how you noticed so many animals. I don’t know that I’ve ever taken the time to really look that way. Another way of stopping to smell the roses so to speak.

13 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

Heather, it was the same for me – seeing all the pups helped, even though it made me think of Basil :) I always notice the animals – I think moreso than pretty flowers or other points of interest… yep – stopping to pet the dogs!

14 Tiffany January 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm

awww, so much puppy love in this post. I loved Mexico but it broke my heart to see so many homeless dogs on the beach and roads. I just wanted to take all of them home with me.

15 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:31 am

I know what you mean, Tiffany – they are everywhere! most I saw this time seemed very healthy and content, but there were a few… I wanted to take them all with me too!!

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 3, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I will never forget our family trip to Mexico when I was 10 and those gecko/lizard things were ALL OVER OUR ROOM! I was fuh-reaked out by them and made my brother sleep in my bed so they wouldn’t “get me” haha!

17 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

I know, they are all over! I’m very glad they don’t freak me out, I would have to stay at a real hotel… ;) we had much more fun in the cool places we stayed!

18 lindsay January 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm

oh those eyes! they say so much. I love seeing beautiful animals from around the world. Or just cute pups!
we see a lot of critters here, and kiwi birds!

19 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

the roof dog, right? just the sweetest eyes!! :) it made me happy to see all the animals while missing my own… I have a friend from NZ and his nickname is Kiwi – he signs his “signature” with a kiwi bird outline :)

20 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca January 3, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Awww I love all the animals in this post!! So cute. I’ve always kinda wanted an iguana :)

21 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

all the animals made me happy :) the iguanas were definitely fun to watch, they were out there every day!

22 katie January 4, 2012 at 3:36 am

Thank heaven no scary spiders! Im so afraid of them!

The animal pics are very cool, the pups are so cute!

23 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

Katie, this is the one and only critter I am afraid of – spiders! spending so much time in Hawaii, even big cockroaches don’t bug me, snakes are fine, mosquitos and bees generally leave me alone… spiders have their good points, I know, but PLEASE just stay away from me!! :D

24 janetha January 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

Awe I love this post! I am a sucker for animals, as you probably assumed, and cannot wait to meet stray dogs when we go to Mexico!

25 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

yep – Janetha you were one I figured would appreciate this post :) and you will see SO many stray dogs! some had sad eyes :( or looked hungry, but most were surprisingly healthy looking! and all were so sweet…

26 Jess January 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

SO beautiful — but I have to say, you are downright lucky not to have seen a single spider. I HATE THEM!! Eeek.

27 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 10:57 am