cuban breakfast scramble

in Breakfast,Gluten Free,Vegan

I ate some plantains on vacation. A lot of plantains.

Now that we are back home, I am recreating some of the flavors I enjoyed last month. I have some fun recipe ideas I cannot wait to share.

I’ve never really been a fan of scrambled eggs. Honestly, I’ve not been a big fan of eggs in general. Eggs were one of those things that if I thought about them too much, I couldn’t eat them.

I’ve been loving scrambles lately, though, and these are egg free! Tofu scrambles are nothing new, I know. This one is just so good that I keep making it. I have made it three times in the last week. Once I used a whole block of tofu, doubling the recipe, snacking on leftovers throughout the day.

Wrapping it in a warm corn tortilla blanket.

cuban breakfast scramble

vegan, gluten free

serves two

1/2 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 tablespoon tahini
1 teaspoon soy sauce (organic tamari gluten free)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1 plantain, sliced
1 small sweet potato, baked
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon butter (Earth Balance)

Crumble tofu into bite size pieces with a fork (or hands). Combine tahini, soy sauce and cumin, mix into tofu and set aside to marinate. Prep remaining ingredients – slice sweet potato and plantain. In skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add tofu, plantain, sweet potato and garlic, saute until garlic has softened. Add black beans, cooked rice and marinated tofu crumbles, combine and cook through.

Serve immediately – as is or wrapped in a corn tortilla. Top with your choice of hot sauce to add some spicy to this sweet and savory dish.

more tasty breakfast ideas:

buckwheat hemp banana pancakes

buckwheat hemp banana pancakes

candy bar smoothie

candy bar smoothie

raspberry coconut flax waffles

raspberry coconut flax waffles

baked blueberry custard

baked blueberry custards

Baileys and black tea French toast

sugared chai latte banana muffins

sugared chai latte banana muffins

savory tomato protein pancakes with Brussels and potatoes

saffron doughnuts with rosewater icing

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 4, 2012 at 5:26 am

I’ve never had plantains. This looks fantastic. What a great breakfast to start the day – or even lunch!

2 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

yes, I’ve been having it for lunch too… ;)

3 Pure2raw twins January 4, 2012 at 6:02 am

looks wonderful! it is weird as I can not stand tofu but eggs yes please. even when I was vegan I could not stand tofu. but that just means more for everyone else ;)

4 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’m sure this would be great with eggs – just add the tahini, soy sauce and cumin right to the eggs?

5 Shannon Roche January 4, 2012 at 6:25 am

I love tofu scramble. Especially wrapped into a breakfast burrito.

6 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

hi Shannon! I’ve been enjoying this in a corn tortilla, taco style, but a burrito sounds REALLY good! :)

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 4, 2012 at 6:34 am

I’ve been seeing so many hashes and scrambles recently, I really need to make one for breakfast soon. It might get me out of the “staring at the pantry for 15 mins” in the morning rut.

8 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:08 am

haa! staring at the pantry… I do this a lot (and *sigh* I need to organize it…) scrambles are so good – but you might still be in front of the pantry, or the fridge, looking for fun ingredients to add! :D

9 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 4, 2012 at 6:36 am

Tofu scrambles are the best! I’ve never thought to add tahini, but I bet it was awesome with the plantains!

10 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

I love tahiini and feel like I add it to anything! it gives a good flavor to this, yes!

11 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} January 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

Oh that looks great! Mr is kinda an egg guy do I’ll probably do that instead if the tofu. I love the combination of the sweet and spicy. The pics from your trip so far are fabulous!

12 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

I am loving spicy more and more – a few years ago spicy to me was buffalo sauce :) eggs would work in this too – I suppose you could mix them with the tahini / soy / cumin?

13 Curt January 4, 2012 at 7:53 am

This looks awesome. I grew plantains when I lived in Texas. They didn’t grow that well, but I tried.

Can’t wait to see what else you have coming out!

14 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:04 am

you grew them – that is great! I imagine they’d be temperamental, even in the heat of Texas.

15 Allie January 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

I LOVE plantains, but I never buy them because I don’t know what to do with them other than fry them or make the one stew recipe I have that involves plantains–I hope there are even more plantain recipes on their way. This one looks great–but I’ll never say no to a good tofu scramble.

16 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:03 am

ooh, Allie, I will have more plantain ideas! :D I’d love to see your stew!

17 Cara January 4, 2012 at 8:29 am

Last year, I was training to enter a Miss Bikini competition and I had to eat 3 boiled eggs a day. I had a picture of this giant bowl filled with eggs that lasted me only a week–gross. Needless to say, this did not last long because I was so grossed out from it. I haven’t eaten an egg since then :) So I hear you on not being into eggs…
I’m thinking a crumble of your tamales from the other day into this scramble would be delightful! xo

18 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

people used to make fun of me when I did eat eggs – I would have to take a fork and remove the white part, YICK. seriously don’t know how I ate them after that – before I knew of the horrors animals go through, my reasons for eating veg were purely because meat etcetera grosses me out :(

I cannot imagine eating that many eggs a day!

19 Christin@purplebirdblog January 4, 2012 at 8:57 am

Oooooo yes, plantains rock the hizzy. I love eggs super big time, and I can just imagine the slight sweetness of the plantains (I keep typing plaintains for some reason) and the sweet potatoes against the savory deliciousness of some scrambled eggs… or even better, sunny side up eggs with runny yolks MMMMMMMMM :)

20 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

rock the hizzy indeed. ;) I KEEP TYPING PLAINTAINS TOO!

21 Nichole January 4, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’d take deportation for this. I’m going to whip this up for the hus. Flavor packed! The sweet potato does it for me.

22 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

it IS flavor packed, you bet! hope you guys like!

23 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

Wow – this looks amazing. And I LOVE me some tofu scrambles – thanks for sharing!!

24 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 10:57 am

thank you and you’re welcome! :) I have been eating this almost daily… breakfast or lunch!

25 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 4, 2012 at 10:18 am

Sounds like a perfect warm meal for winter days to me and with great flavor. Bringing the vacation back home with you, so to speak :)

26 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 10:56 am

extending the vacation as long as I can! :)

27 Christina January 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I LOVE platains (we call them platanos or maduros)! They’re so sweet and delicious, I don’t buy them because I usually fry them up and eat way too many. Seriously, way too many.

28 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com January 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I love a savory breakfast bowl! I’ve been eating a lot of tofu lately but I’ve set to scramble it. I’ve got 3/4 of the ingredients in this delicious recipe in my pantry already so I think it’s time for me to give it a try! I’ll let you know how it turns out! :)

29 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm

please do, Molly! enjoy! XO

30 Dorry January 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm

delicious combo! as an egg-eater these days, I would love to try this recipe with eggs. I’ve been in a sweet potato phase. Usually lasts a month or more. :)

31 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm

then you must try this – I’m thinking you could mix the tahini, etcetera right into the eggs…

32 Lisa January 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm

That looks really good. We do scrambled eggs with salsa and black beans for breakfast. It’s filling and delicious!

33 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I used to do that a lot – really good!

34 Anne January 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hello, Spabettie! I am *loving* your website. Question: I am trying to slowly convert from vegetarianism to veganism – do you think that tofu really replaces eggs, flavor wise? What is your experience? I’ve tried it multiple times, but I just have a really hard time with it. I need to buck up and be a little more creative… but, your thoughts on tofu?

35 spabettie January 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm

hello Anne! does tofu replace egg flavor? honestly, no. but it can come close, I think. texture wise, at least with a scramble, it’s pretty close. I never ate scrambled eggs alone, without other ingredients anyway, so if I make a tofu scramble in a similar way, it works. Most often when I was making an egg scramble, I started by sauteing some onions, peppers, mushrooms. I think I’m okay with it because I didn’t really like eggs all that much to begin with – someone who loves eggs will definitely have a more difficult time, if they are looking to replace flavors.

like me with cheese. :)

good luck!

36 Anne January 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

Thank you! I also have trouble with cheese…. may end up trying out some of the vegan varieties on the market. Will be trying this tofu scramble over the weekend!

37 spabettie January 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I hope you like it, Anne – you’ll have to let me know. and cheese… *sigh* good luck with that one, it is tough. I’m not a fan of Daiya, although many are (the pepper jack flavor is okay). my favorite is Follow Your Heart brand, and I also like SoyaKaas – but beware of theirs – they only have TWO that are vegan, the others are not. but they are good – some of the best I’ve had. I do miss cheese :)

38 Laura January 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm

If you want tofu to taste a bit more ‘egg like’ you could try black salt (or kala namak)- you should be able to find it in a South East Asian food shop/website, or maybe some supermarkets? Just a small amount should give that sulphurous and ammonia-like notes to the tofu which give eggs their characteristic flavour. For this reason alone, I avoid black salt! ;)

39 STUFT Mama January 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Love this combination. I so have been wanting to experiment with something like this. Do you think it will work with my carton of eggs? :) Now I need to go plantain shopping. LOVE this (just had to say it again)!!!

40 Liz January 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Looks like a fabulously delicious way to start the day! YUM!

41 spabettie January 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

thank you, Liz! it definitely keeps me going!

42 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 4, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Oh I LOVE scrambles! Eggs and tofu (sadly tofu does not like me). This flavor combination sounds amazing! I love reliving places through remaking foods! This looks delicious!

43 spabettie January 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Jason and I keep saying we want to go back (seems to happen as it gets dark, cold or rainy…) and until we figure out how we can telecommute (this was an actual conversation!) I will make foods that remind us… :D

44 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Haha, yeah, we try to telecommute back to Paris often and through food is really the only way to do that. I miss it so badly!

45 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 4, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh my heavens…this looks amazing!! Anything that has so much flavor for breakfast makes my heart beat a bit faster…I like it! I will try it with eggs since I’m eating them right now and I don’t like the ‘fo ;)

xxoo

46 spabettie January 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

yes, Kris, please do! let me know how you like it! XXO!

47 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 5, 2012 at 5:43 am

Oh I love this! My husband and I were dining at Whole Foods for lunch the other day (love the salad bar!) and I had a roasted plantain in my salad. I was talking about wanting to come up with an idea for a meal inspired by a Cuban sandwich. Your idea is awesome! I’m still going to try to think of something though… I’m thinking soup… we’ll see.

48 spabettie January 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

ooh, can’t wait to see what you do!! I always add the plantains to my WF salads! :)

49 Genevieve January 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

This sounds so good – plantains with sweet potatoes and black beans sounds like the perfect combination! I love plantains but I can never seem to think of ways to use them, other than just frying them.

50 spabettie January 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

thank you, Genevieve! I love this combination, even without the scramble I do this in my quinoa bowls or salads… love the plantains! :)

51 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Very interesting combo of ingredients!

52 caitlin January 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm

This is so good, great flavors, Kris!

53 spabettie January 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

thanks, darlin!

54 Heidi February 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

what’s up buttercup? and more importantly, can the hound and I come visit, for breakfast of EXACTLY THIS and a walk with you + B-dog?

55 Trina February 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I love this idea – the flavors sound great and I can’t wait to try the fu!

56 Katya March 12, 2012 at 12:03 am

I made this with bananas could not find plantains LOL turned out great I love it!

57 Alisha March 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

my new favorite breakfast too!! thanks Kristine, I make this at least once a week!

58 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

thanks for telling me, Alisha! I love hearing one of mine is a regular thing in someones kitchen – YAY! and Mmm, you picked a good one! ;)

59 Jill March 27, 2012 at 1:31 am

we just had this for breakfast, now I need an excuse to throw a brunch party, this awesomeness needs to be seen by everybody! thank you!

60 Anne April 1, 2012 at 6:16 am

made for breakfast today, had leftovers for lunch, very good!

61 Kenny October 26, 2013 at 2:12 am

Holy Crap! I love eggs but can’t eat them due to allergy but i love tofu. I was just thinking the other day, i wonder if there is some sort of egg replacement i can make a scrambled egg or omlette with. And here you kind of answered my prayer!

62 Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating January 21, 2014 at 7:29 am

Pinning this to make for my bf, thanks!

63 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2014 at 7:57 am