curry chikn salad

in Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

Jason chose the curry chicken salad sandwich as his airline meal when we were flying last month – three different times. I ate the tomato soup. and the dark chocolate. and the free cocktails.

I was intent on making a better curry ‘chikn’ salad when we returned home.

Pretty sure I did.

soy curls = faux chicken.

We have been eating this as sandwiches, over baby spinach, and as quinoa bowls – warm or cold. The cashews add a great crunch and the currants are a sweet contrast to the curry.

curry chikn salad

vegan, gluten free, dairy free

1/2 package soy curls
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Earth Balance Mindful Mayo)
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1/4 cup dried currants (or cranberries)
1/4 cup raw cashews, chopped
sea salt, to taste

Before rehydrating the soy curls, break them into smaller pieces. Soak them in warm water to rehydrate, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, chop celery and cashews. Combine mayo and curry powder. When soy curls are rehydrated, stir into curried mayo, adding celery, cashews and currants. Salt to taste, cover and let cool in refrigerator, at least an hour, allowing the flavors to blend.

The captain has turned off the seat belt sign, we will soon be coming around with our beverage service…

1 JL goes Vegan January 6, 2012 at 5:20 am

Oh, baby, you know I love me some soy curls! Soooo going to make this!

2 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 8:05 am

hey JL, are you able to find soy curls in stores where you are? if so, what section are they in? :D (I buy online or get them in bulk from Food Fight)

3 JL goes Vegan January 6, 2012 at 8:15 am

(replying in the right place…) I’ve never seen them in the store around here (metro NYC) I buy Butler’s soy curls (usually three bags at a time; I freeze them) online from Vegan Essentials. I get the Butler’s Chik’n seasoning, too. Holy yum.

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 6, 2012 at 5:22 am

Oh this is totally up my alley. Love curry flavors. Loving the textures in this recipe too from the currants and cashews.

5 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 8:04 am

yes – the currants, cashews and celery make for great texture and flavor… I’m happy with how this turned out! have a great weekend, Heather!

6 JL goes Vegan January 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

7 JL goes Vegan January 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

Um, oops, I replied in the wrong place! LOL

8 Curt January 6, 2012 at 5:45 am

This sounds very good. I love the curry chicken flavor!

9 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 8:03 am

thank you, Curt! I was happy with the result. happy Friday!

10 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 6, 2012 at 6:00 am

Gotta say – I’ve never seen or heard of soy curls. Are these near the regular blocks of soy??

11 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 8:03 am

Soy curls are dehydrated… if you can find them they are probably not near soy blocks (do you mean tofu?) I am lucky enough to have a store here that sells them in bulk, but they come in small bags, the size of a Bob’s Red Mill product, and honestly I am not sure where they’d be in a normal store. you can get them online if you are interested… you rehydrate them before using, and they take on any flavor you rehydrate and or cook them with – pretty awesome.

12 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 6, 2012 at 6:39 am

I always shy away from curry. I need to get over my fear. I LOVE turmeric, so I should love curries. Looks delicious…of course!

13 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 8:00 am

me too, well, at least this flavor. I cook with Thai flavors all the time, green being my favorite. I consider this kind of curry flavor more of a… “casserole” flavor I grew up with?? (my mom used to make a curry chicken and rice…)

I made this for Jason, and am happy to say I like it too!

14 Lacey January 6, 2012 at 6:46 am

This is basically the whole foods recipe, lol. They used to make it with turkey instead of chicken,and tofu of course :)

15 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 7:58 am

I’m going to have to look for the Whole Foods version next time I’m there!

16 Allie January 6, 2012 at 7:39 am

Have you ever been to an Earth Fare grocery store? They have a vegan curry chik’n salad that is SO MUCH like this, and it is amazing, I used to buy it all the time. And then I moved away from a location with an Earth Fare, and I missed that salad–only to learn I can now make it again!

17 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 7:57 am

I have not been to Earth Fare – we don’t have those here. Do they make theirs with soy curls? Apparently Whole Foods has one similar to this also, which I now need to go find! This is so easy to make – when I was finished writing this post last night, I went into the kitchen and made some, to put in the fridge overnight for today’s lunch. Mmm :)

18 Allie January 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

I’m not sure, their base may be more of a fake chicken-chunk product–but it’s been at least a year since I’ve had it, and I don’t know that I’ve used soy curls so that I’d know to compare. But I love anything that doubles as dinner AND lunch the next day, regardless! And I might have to check out the whole foods version, but I KNOW this one would be cheaper, and I’m sure tastier too!

19 Nichole January 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

You are now free to move about the cabin:)

Curry is HUGE over here. I need more recipes like this, I am such a wimp when it comes to curry. This is something I could definitely sink my chompers into.

20 spabettie January 6, 2012 at 7:55 am

free to move about the cabin – I almost said that :)

I understand the curry wimpiness – while I have been partial to green curries and more Thai flavors, this type of curry I have stayed away from for years. Jason loved that sandwich on the airplane so much that I had to recreate this for him – and guess what, I loved it too! :D

21 Kalinda January 6, 2012 at 8:26 am

Love the flavor combos going on here, especially the addition of the cashews. I have never heard of soy curls before. They sound like fun though, perhaps I’ll order some from the internets.

22 Roz@weightingfor50 January 6, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hi K, oooh…this looks amazing. I’ve never seen soy curls. I’ve seen vegetarian “chicken” strips though. Would that be the same? Your photos always look so great!!! Have a wonderful Friday.

23 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

pretty food and pretty white bowl!

24 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

Mmmmmm thank you for the reminder of this. i used to make it all the time (with chicken) it’s sooooooooooo good!! Totally forgot about it though! Thank you thank you

25 Christin@purplebirdblog January 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Ooo, it’s been a while since we’ve heard from the elusive soy curls over here! ;) I still want to try them, still haven’t ordered any. Some day. Though I did finally find TARO POWDER at my Asian market, so I’ll be getting my taro love on very, very soon! :)

26 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I first thought, “What, she used chicken?!?!!!” But then I saw it was the soy substitute. You know I’d always use real chicken (I don’t trust soy, and it makes me feel so bad), otherwise this looks completely perfect to me! :)

27 Eden January 6, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Ha, I love that you spell it “chikn”. It looks bad ass.

And I’m totally recreating it.

28 spabettie January 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

hope you like it – you can totally use the real chikn;)

29 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 7, 2012 at 6:09 am

I’ve never put dried fruit in curry, that sounds delicious. Good on you for recreating this amazing meal!

30 spabettie January 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

it’s really good with the fruit – I have made a cranberry version too :)

31 Kristen@Change of Pace January 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

This looks amazing! I love anything curry… I stumbled upon your blog accidentally and already love it. Can’t wait to follow along!

32 spabettie January 8, 2012 at 11:06 am

hi Kristen, happy you found us, thank you for saying hello! happy Sunday! :)

33 beti January 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm

curry has such a strong and nice taste, I would love to try mi chicken salad with curry as far as I can see it looks really good

34 spabettie January 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

you should add curry to your chicken salad – a whole new flavor! :)

35 MizFit January 9, 2012 at 2:41 am

oooh the husband would love.

36 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 9, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh man- your timing is perfect! I had a version of this yesterday from the Whole Foods salad bar- but it used tempeh instead. I think I’m going to try it with tempeh, and use your other ingredients… I’m wondering if I should bake the tempeh first?
Oh- and the WF kind used raisins.

37 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

hmm, I don’t know? if you bake it first, maybe coat it with some curry too?? oh wow. :)

38 Richgail January 10, 2012 at 11:57 am

Wow!!! This looks scrumptious, colorful, and fresh! I love Indian flavors and spices. Thanks so much for sharing!

39 Carlie March 17, 2012 at 5:11 am

we love this recipe, thanks for the soy curls reference. we had to wait for them to come in the mail, so we are finally enjoying our “chickn” salad!