quick and easy classic fudge

in Dessert,Gluten Free,Vegan

I have developed a sweet tooth.

It began while we were on vacation – I remember the exact moment. We were sitting on the beach, and a girl came by selling fresh doughnuts. I said no, but then immediately after she was gone, I wanted one.

I thought of that girl and her doughnuts for days. We moved up the coast to a more private beach, where people selling things didn’t come around as often.

I could not get those doughnuts out of my mind.

I started looking for substitutions – each time we dined out, I ordered dessert. Each time we stopped by a market, I looked at the chocolate. I bought chocolate. I bought de la Rosa peanut confections.

Those are good.

We returned home from vacation. Along with several bottles of tequila and a new piece of luggage we had to check, I brought along my sweet tooth.

Thankfully, my friend Shirley had just the thing for me – a quick and easy classic fudge recipe. She makes hers with egg nog.

I adapted mine to a vegan version, using Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread, dark chocolate cocoa and almond milk. and a stove.

Then I promptly made a second batch, and swirled peanut butter throughout.

Quick. Easy. Microwave + freezer = fudge in your face in under an hour.

Thank you, Shirley, this recipe is perfect!

My sweet tooth loves you.

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 9, 2012 at 5:27 am

Dark chocolate has antioxidants. Health food. Eat up.

2 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm

indeed – VERY good for you! :D

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 9, 2012 at 5:29 am

Thanks for sharing. Need to pass this to my sister. She loves making fudge and the kids enjoy helping out.

4 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm

you are welcome! I will definitely be making more this way – pretty easy and SO good.

5 Shirley @ gfe January 9, 2012 at 6:21 am

Ha, that’s no longer my recipe, but I love how a good recipe can turn into so many things. LOVE your versions, Kristina! Both look divine! :-) Next time I make the recipe, I’ll be making a vegan version, too. ;-) Will share your versions on my gfe FB page. :-)

xo,
Shirley

6 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

ha, I suppose technically it is not? gotta give the credit and love where it’s due, though. you are always such an inspiration to me! and this fudge is AMAZING!!

XO!

7 Shannon Roche January 9, 2012 at 6:27 am

Fudge is so, so simple to make, which makes it is very dangerous! It’s one of the things that I can’t force myself to stop snacking on when a batch is around.

8 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I know what you mean. I cut these small AND they reside in my freezer. mid afternoon I have one. or two. ;)

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 9, 2012 at 6:48 am

I made fudge for the first time this holiday season and I couldn’t get over how easy it was. I had visions of hours upon hours and double boilers and confusion swirling around in my head. Definitely happy to find out that wasn’t the case! Going to check out that recipe now :)

10 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I know, it is one of those things that SEEMS difficult, yes? such a nice surprise. and so delicious.

11 Evan Thomas January 9, 2012 at 6:57 am

Drooling here. I was just thinking last night in bed that it’s been too long since i made fudge. Gotta fix that ;-)

12 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

yeah you do. you were the other person I thought of (besides Averie) when writing this, I guess you guys make me think chocolate. :)

13 Cara January 9, 2012 at 7:24 am

Was that stove really vegan, though??? ha.

And all this talk about donuts–just don’t read my post for today :) hehe. I must have been reading your mind… Isn’t it funny what cravings do? I was reading a book last year and it mentioned donuts and the moment I could picture it in my head, it was all I thought about/wanted. And at least for me, it would not go away until I finally had one. Isn’t that what you call obsessive? hmmm, I should bring that up in therapy :)

And are you telling us that prior to vacation, you didn’t really have a sweet tooth? If so, is there a place I can return mine and trade it in for a more healthy one???

14 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’ll have you know my stove is vegan!! okay, uh, 98.337% vegan. Jason sometimes cooks on it.

and no, I cannot tell a lie – it’s not that I didn’t have a sweet tooth, but it was mild. NORMALLY I don’t crave sweets daily, I don’t always have to have them. was it the extra tequila in my system on vacation that made me need extra sugar? I don’t know, but I am changed.

15 Cara January 10, 2012 at 8:31 am

I giggled about the stove. Too cute.

Seriously though, where can I buy a non-sweet tooth? I need help! Any suggestions for weening off the sugar?

16 janetha January 9, 2012 at 8:00 am

It is bad that I discovered how easy fudge is. I found this out right before Christmas and proceeded to make five batches. Dude. Fudge is easy. And delicious. And not very good to eat by the batchful…

17 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I had forgotten too. SO easy. I cut these into small pieces. and keep in the freezer.

18 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 9, 2012 at 8:24 am

I love fudge like this. EASY and in the micro. Perfect.

And gorgeous pictures. The swirly action…swoon!

19 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I thought of you when writing this up, Averie – the recipe method is totally your style! and thank you, I was happy how these photos turned out. it’s winter, which means DARKNESS in my kitchen these days… *sigh*

20 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 9, 2012 at 8:24 am

Oh goodness girl….once I go and peek at this recipe will I never turn back??? Judging by your pics I don’t think i have a chance. UGH, I leave on Wed for Miami and I know my diet is out the window…how do you travel with no sweets?! hehe

xxoo

21 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

oh, trust me I do bring sweets. ;) have a great trip, dear!

22 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

Oh my gawd, you just kicked MY sweet tooth into high gear!

23 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I know. I’m sorry? ;)

24 Nichole January 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

Your city has my FAVORITE doughnut and bagel. Not fair!!

How can you go wrong with fudge. I am loving the PB and white chocolate kind too. I am not picky when it comes to the yummy stuff. I like that Shirley uses sea salt. Her site is wicked! Awesome stuff!

25 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

let me guess, VooDoo and Kettleman?! :D I love Shirley and all of her creations – glad you checked it out!

26 Krystina (Organically Me) January 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

Now I want fudge. :(

27 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I know, it’s a rapid downward spiral. my sweet tooth is not getting any smaller… I wish I could share some with you right now!

28 Christin@purplebirdblog January 9, 2012 at 10:09 am

“I bought de la Rosa peanut confections.”

DUDE. Those things are AWESOME.

29 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I know. I KNOW.

30 Miri Leigh January 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

This looks simply delicious! Can’t wait to try out the recipe :)

31 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I hope you do, Miri Leigh – so easy and SO good! :)

32 Mihl January 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have a massive sweet tooth. And it just got worse. That fudge looks spectacular!

33 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm

this is SO easy, you should make some for that tooth! :D

34 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

Fudge is dangerous for me…that’s why I use peanut flour and cocoa powder. Much safer for my thighs. This looks amazing…dangerously amazing!

35 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm

thanks, Sarena, it is really good. soon I will be talking about the cocoa powder I use – it is REALLY good and I keep meaning to share… I used regular peanut butter, but peanut flour would be REALLY good here too!

36 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Oh no! I had a similar experience while we were on vacation, but I accepted the treat and then couldn’t get enough of it while we were away! I don’t know what it is called in English (or Spanish, because really… I can’t even say hello in Spanish). It was this jello cream-like dessert made from coconut and probably so much artificial flavoring. It was SO good. My gosh!

37 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

well I definitely learned my lesson – fresh doughnuts on the beach?? ALWAYS say yes. later that day I did buy sock monkeys from a little girl on the beach. :)

38 Curt January 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I really like the peanut butter version. They look sooo good!

39 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm

nothing beats the chocolate peanut butter combination, right?

40 Lou January 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Fudge is such a childhood memory for me… there’s a little place in my Hometown called the “Fudge Cottage” where you could go and watch them make the fudge. The workers all dressed in ‘olden day,’ clothes, think long gingham skirts, frilly white aprons and cute caps. The men wore suspenders and top hats. Actually, the best memory was all the free fudge samples I would eat…. my poor parents, a tweaking, sugared up Lou :)

41 spabettie January 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I would LOVE to work in a place like Fudge Cottage, old timey clothes and all! Hmm… maybe that’s what Portland needs ;)

42 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’ve effortfully unlearned my sweet teeth during the past months, fortunatly. You fugde looks like being totally worth a sin, though. :)

43 Lisa B January 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

You had me at fudge!
Yummmmmm…..I have a big sweet tooth traditionally, which I have been controlling lately—but there is always room for fudge :)

44 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Peanut butter swirled into chocolate fudge? Yum! I want some. I also want some doughnuts from the beach… that is so odd to me, someone selling doughnuts on the beach, but I like it!

45 lindsay January 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

i am pretty sure i would eat fudge with cabbage in it if you made it. You make everything good and wholesome! Delicious Kris!

46 Jenn @therebelchick January 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I am not even a fan of fudge but those both look divine!

47 sophia January 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Wow they look gorgeous. I’m starting to appreciate sweets more and more. I’m eating a big-ass cream cheese muffin right now, actually. ;-)

48 Pure2raw twins January 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Can’t go wrong with a quick and easy fudge recipe! we will take it :)
fudge – yes please!

49 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com January 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Fudge is my kryptonite. And I love this recipe – delish! Looks like I’ll be running a couple extra miles this week to make up for this yummy fudge!

50 Kris @Krazy_Kris January 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

BRILLIANT! but SOOOOON!

51 Russell at Chasing Delicious January 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Mmm look at all this scrumptious fudge. I want to reach right through the screen and grab a few. Yum!

52 Eden January 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I’m with ya. Donuts are hard to forget. You bringing that fudge when I see you in LA?

53 STUFT Mama January 10, 2012 at 12:03 am

Oh man. OH MAN. Anything I can A- microwave B- freeze and have in my mouth as soon as possible and C- has chocolate and peanut butter is just my style. :) YUM-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

54 Suzanne @WorkoutNirvana January 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Really? You’re doing this to me? Fudge rules! Fudge is nirvana! Fudge is…. I avoid it :). But my daughter would surely like to try this!

55 caitlin January 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I just made two batches, one nog and one almond milk peanut butter, SO good!!

56 Dorry January 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

so yum! this Bird has a wicked sweet tooth. I embrace it – just try to make it semi-healthy and natural sugars more of the time than not. chocolate and peanut butter? always room for that.

57 julie@mightyvegan January 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I have to have this! I’m still trying to recover from Christmas indulging but I may have to make an exception and make these. Thanks!

58 spabettie January 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

oh, I suggest you do! this is SO good… so easy, and you can keep it in the freezer! eat a small piece whenever you need one…

59 (what runs) Lori January 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Um yeah, these look AMAZING. Heading over to get the recipe. Yum!

Ah vacations…

60 kailee January 25, 2012 at 11:10 am

Nice!! How’d you mix in the peanut butter? Did you melt it and then put it in the batter? and how much?? Thanks!

61 spabettie January 26, 2012 at 11:48 am

hi Kailee – honestly, I just stirred the peanut butter in the jar really fast for a bit, until it was fairly smooth / soft, then put spoonfuls on top of the brownies – spaced a few inches apart. Then took a knife and swirled the peanut butter through, so it would look “marbled”. For an 8×8 square pan of fudge, I used maybe 1/3 cup peanut butter? if you wanted to melt it in the microwave and pour, it could be more like a frosting.

62 Frank February 3, 2012 at 4:40 am

I love your website – so many great choices – thank you!

63 VERDEL February 3, 2012 at 11:23 am

THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE, THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR FRIEND’S SITE WITH US

64 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm

you are most welcome, Verdel! Shirley is one of my favorites, and I know you will find many great things there!

65 Betsy March 5, 2012 at 9:46 am

I can’t wait to try this, yum!!

66 WOD March 30, 2012 at 1:20 am

this looks great, thanks for sharing her site.