tahini almond date bites

in Breakfast,Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,snacks,Vegan

I have a new addiction.

It’s Yelp.

I’m checking in everywhere. All the time. To see my daily ranking go up, to collect badges and Dukedoms. Yes, I am a Duchess now. Do Duchii wear crowns? Because I’d like to wear a crown.

There are some actual benefits to Yelping – I’ve been invited to a couple VIP events already – but so far I am only interested in the stats, and becoming The Duchess of as many places as I can. Soon I will be Duchess of the gym – yes, that one is near.

I realize this is old news for many, and for some, it’s a Huh?? It’s probably similar to Angry Birds or Farm Whatever (which I learned how to block on facebook, by the way!).

It once more confirms that I am obsessive delighted by the little things. That sometimes the little things are key.

Recently I was sent a huge box of goodies from Bard Valley Natural Delights. Medjool dates. Coconut date rolls. Pistachio date rolls. All kinds of deliciousness.

While we have been eating many of the dates as is – which is caramely candy like goodness – I did save some to make a few recipes with. This is the first one I’m sharing with you – a very easy and uniquely flavored treat. You know I love my tahini. This recipe does not have added sugars – if you’ve enjoyed a Medjool you know it is not necessary. Also, sprouted almonds. Have you tried these yet?

What. You’re going to tell me sprouted almonds are like Yelp, old news.

That’s okay, they are delicious and they are a party I am fine to be late to.

tahini almond date bites

vegan, gluten free, no added sugar

makes 20-22 1-inch bites

12-14 large dates, pitted
1/2 cup raw almonds (I used sprouted)
1/3 cup tahini
pinch sea salt
1-2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sesame seeds to coat

In food processor, pulse almonds until crumbly, partly smooth. Add dates, tahini and salt, continue to process. Texture will still be slightly crumbly – add water (1 tablespoon at a time) and dough should quickly form. Form into 1 inch rounds, roll in sesame seeds to coat, and roll in hands to flatten sesame seeds into ball. Cool in refrigerator to firm.

I just ate several of these, and now it’s time to do some stretching – I have a downward dog lesson from my favorite yogi (look at that perfect form!). I need to find a yoga studio to become Duchess of.

Post sponsored by Bard Valley Natural Delights. My absolute love of Medjool dates is unbiased.

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 27, 2012 at 10:45 am

These things are gorgeous! I’ve actually somehow avoided buying tahini forever. I really need to buck up though and grab some between these and all the hummus options out there with it.

2 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

I use tahini a lot… LOVE it! I hope you make these, I think you’ll like them! happy weekend, Gina! <3

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh wow. Those are so elegant! Really need to remember these for a wine tasting party. As always, thank you for your inspiration!

4 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:30 am

you are welcome! hope these are a hit at wine tasting – I think they’d be perfect!

5 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

Oh YUM! I love dates! You know, I’ve never actually bought tahini? I think I need to change that now.

6 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:30 am

yes, you do! although I am making a marmite bite next… ;)

7 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

Oh these look gorgeous and delish and stunning photos!

8 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

thanks, Averie!

9 curlsz January 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

I love dates – nature’s carmel candy! Trying these tonight!!

10 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

hope you like them!

11 curlsz January 31, 2012 at 7:30 pm

really yummy but holy $%# that was messy making them – I definitely need a better food processor too!

12 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:48 am

uh oh… dates can be messy, I guess… I use them so much I don’t notice, maybe? was it worth it, did you like the flavor enough? :D

13 curlsz February 1, 2012 at 11:31 am

they are good – a bit rich so i brought them to my office where I knew all the sweet tooth hounds would devour. i usually put dates in hot water and puree for baked goods – fantastic

14 Wendy January 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Totally making these this weekend. Going to sprout my almonds today. You should checkout anti gravity yoga. CRAZY. http://Www.gravitaspdx.com my new addiction/obsession. See ya soon.

15 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

hope you like them, Wendy! and WOW – Gravitas looks fun, I may work up the nerve to try it sometime ;) see you soon!

16 lindsay January 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

i’m a yelpaholic too! lets yelp together.
And dates are so cheap here. The good kind! i could make these. Not as pretty as your though.
;)

17 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:21 am

sure you could – and they would be pretty too. I’m thinking of a marmite ball next…

18 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Aww, these bites look perfect! The ground covering also fits perfectly. :)

19 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:19 am

YAY, someone noticed the decor! :D I thought it was a nice touch…

20 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Mmmm, dates – nature’s candy! Love ‘em and can’t get enough, seriously! (probably hard to believe coming from a candy/cookie fanatic)

The bites seem like they would end up sort of Larabar-like, which is definitely a good thing!

21 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

yes, I actually thought about making bars out of these. or longer strips, anyway… they do resemble a larabar…

22 Lisa B January 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I like Yelp too :-)

These balls are so pretty—I love the sesame seeds on the outside! The flavor combo sounds great too, with the contrast between the tahini and dates especially (I’m guessing that creates a nice balance!).

Happy Weekend Friend!

23 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

the flavors are good – I like a sweet and savory. I hope you have a great weekend too, Lisa B! (Basil wags hello!) :)

24 caitlin January 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm

What is tahini? I have heard of it, but… Now I AM the one late to the party HEH HEH :)

25 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

girl you NEED to try it – I really think you’d like it… it’s sesame seed paste, has a nutty savory flavor and is sort of similar to a nut butter consistency…

26 Pure2raw twins January 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm

YUM! YUM And more yum! I think these should be quickly packaged up and sent my way :)

xoxo
Michelle

27 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

you are the third person in a couple days that has said that… :)

28 Eden January 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Man!!! I’m always late to the party.

Anyhow, yelp is fun. Remember I did that post about funny yelp reviews? Who needs crappy tv when you have yelp to keep you occupied!

29 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’ve been checking in everywhere. even the hospital ;) (I should TOTALLY be Duchess of the ICU by now!!).

30 Carbzilla January 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I’ve been a Yelper for forever. Sometimes we come down for Elite events if they’re on the weekends. Hopefully, we’ll catch you at the next one!

31 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:07 am

definitely! I just started in December, so I’m not Elite yet… although I have been invited to a couple events already (they must open them up to the minions after a while…?) :) how long does it take to get to Elite? all I am doing is checking in, should I do reviews too?

32 Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau January 28, 2012 at 4:35 am

These are so cute and perfectly round! Perfect for carrying around in my purse.

33 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 10:05 am

good thinking! :)

34 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 28, 2012 at 5:53 am

I have a couple of colleagues that love yelp, but I haven’t gotten into it yet… I have a pretty addictive personality. Maybe it’s best if I just avoid it hehe. I love these date balls, you didn’t such an amazing job at making them so clean looking. I can appreciate how challenging it is to get the sesame seeds on the ball without making them goopey!

35 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

yep – you better not then. I have an addictive personality when it comes to competitive things, and kicking people off their “dukedom” and getting a good ranking number – sigh – that’s fun to me. at least right now. ;)

and YES! I’m happy you appreciate the sesame seed application! although it was kind of easy with these, I think the texture is soft enough that they kinda sink in… I love the look and it’s one I’ve been trying to get for a while! (okay, this officially sounds weird, since I am talking about… FOOD. I know you understand, though). :D

36 Cara January 28, 2012 at 7:49 am

This is hilarious because the other day I was going to write on my facebook about my newfound love of…yoga…and wanted to see if anyone else has heard of it too. haha. Who knew it was so good for you (and enjoyable too) ??? Apparently I am late on things as well but hey, at least we show up, regardless :) Your balls look perfect, by the way. And that sounded perverted.

37 spabettie January 28, 2012 at 9:51 am

haa haa – what IS this yoga you speak of? :D my yoga practice goes in phases, and I am currently NOT in a yoga phase… but I’m carrying stress and stretching is helping.

not just late – fashionably late. that’s what we are. with perfect balls.

38 Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2012 at 10:32 am

I love the blurry down-Basil. :)

39 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:38 am

see?? I cannot get a photo of him in downward dog… ;) do your pups like the camera? Basil does NOT – he looks away. it’s a wonder I have ANY photos of him…

40 Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

Rambo likes the camera, Lucy not so much. But I too can never get a good doggie yoga shot!

41 Court March 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

these sound amazing. you are creative!

42 spabettie March 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

thanks Court, coming from you that is a HUGE compliment to me!

43 Jennifer April 20, 2012 at 8:50 am

I am making these right now because FOR ONCE I have all of the necessary ingredients. But a question – how long do you think they will keep? Should I freeze extras? or would the refrigerator be good enough? (I am assuming I won’t devour all in one sitting…which could happen. Just sayin’).

44 spabettie April 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

hi Jennifer, I store mine in the fridge, only once did I put them in the freezer when we were going out of town. They don’t take long to defrost if you wanted to save some in the freezer – this recipe makes quite a few! I hope you love them!

45 Jennifer April 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

I do indeed love them! Thanks for your speedy reply. And just for the record, I did not eat them all at once! But I wanted to. They are nicely stored in my fridge! Thanks again!!

46 spabettie April 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

oh, good, so happy you like them – this is a favorite of mine! :)