Valentines Spicy Hot Shots

in cocktails,Dessert,Valentines Day,Vegan

The things I do in the name of love.

In the name of Valentines Day.

In the name of all things pink.

You recall the chocolate shot glasses I made over the holidays? That I filled with local New Deal vodka?

In the name of love, Valentines Day and everything pink, I have done it again, and without even meaning to, I’ve once again filled them with New Deal vodka. This time it is a spicy little monkey that is just all too fitting for Valentines Day. Of course, you can fill these with whatever you like.

Non dairy, vegan white chocolate is very difficult to get. Although I am not a white chocolate fan, I stock up when I can, because the day I am without it is the day I need it.

These shot glasses actually took two tries. The first batch of white chocolate would not melt. I have used non dairy chocolate enough to know that it is very touchy, and I almost always add coloring before melting. This time, the “food coloring” was all natural – it was beet juice! Don’t worry, it does not change the flavor at all! It does impart a beautiful dark pink color, exactly what I was going for.

and don’t worry, the unmelted chocolate was a perfect fondant consistency, and I was able to use it for another Valentines project. You will see that later.

spicy hot shots in pink (white) chocolate glasses

12 ounces white chocolate (vegansweets baking chips)
juice of 3 beets
shot glass mould
4 ounces Hot Monkey vodka (or your choice)
4 tablespoons non dairy whip (Soyatoo rice whip)

Shot glasses (make a day ahead): In medium saucepan, add white chocolate and beet juice, meltĀ over medium heat. Spoon into shot mould. Place in refrigerator to set, preferably overnight. Makes four chocolate glasses.

Fill shot glasses and top with whip cream and sprinkles.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find conversation hearts that do not have gelatin. Believe me, I have searched high and low. Next step is to make them myself.

However, a sweet nurse at the hospital gave me a box the other day – so I am using them as photography props. Hey babe.

Are you a fan of Valentines Day?

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 30, 2012 at 5:20 am

These are so adorable! I love your dedication to the Valentine treats! I can’t say I’m a fan of the holiday, but I do like all the pink things! I don’t get into the marketing side of holidays. I love my guy and tell him everyday. However, you know I can get on board with some special treats! These really are so sweet and pretty!

2 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 11:04 am

I know it’s not a popular holiday with everyone (it is my and Jason’s favorite…) but even so, it is a GREAT excuse to make pink things! :D

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 30, 2012 at 5:50 am

I swear, you are just incredibly creative. Just blows my mind what you come up with!

4 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 11:03 am

thank you, Heather! :D there’s more coming…

5 Shannon Roche January 30, 2012 at 5:56 am

Oh how I miss the carefree days where conversation hearts filled my candy jar.

6 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 11:03 am

I know… I do too. I look every year for them – looks like I just need to MAKE THEM MYSELF, right?? :D

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 30, 2012 at 6:46 am

I didn’t think the chocolate shot glasses could get cuter, but they did!
I’m not a V-day fan, never have been. Husband is lucky if he gets a card ;)

8 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

I know, these are SO much cuter than the plain chocolate, right?? :D Valentines is both my and Jason’s favorite… so we make it fun. it’s also an excuse to make pink things in the kitchen! :D

9 dorry January 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

you really have done it again! these are so pretty. I love them. I enjoy Valentine’s Day with Billy, but I haven’t always been a big fan of the day. I know it’s your favorite! :) :)

10 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 11:01 am

aw, you remember! :D yes, as much as Jason and I may not be ‘traditional’ in ANY way, and we certainly do not wait for holidays to express ourselves or even give gifts, for some reason we both LOVE Valentines.

11 sarah @ sarah learns January 30, 2012 at 8:58 am

these are beautiful! i want that shot glass mold now just so i can make these. :)

12 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

you NEED the shot glass mold, Sarah!! :D so much fun.

13 Suzanne January 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

Very creative, and cute for Valentine’s Day. I love Valentine’s, all things pink, read and hearts :)

14 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:58 am

thank you, Suzanne! I love pink too… AND Valentine’s Day…

15 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 30, 2012 at 9:26 am

You’re brain fires in SUCH a creative way, I love it!! These are gorgeous my friend and I bet they ooze with goodness as well!!

YUM!

xxoo

16 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:58 am

thanks, Kris! :D these are really fun to make… I just cannot stop! XXO

17 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

whoa. WHOA! Shotglass molds??!! I am buying these NOW.
This is amazing! I love it!
I’m not a huge V-day fan, although I do celebrate. My birthday is Feb. 12th, so I often get duped of lumping the 2 into one day. I make it very clear to my hubby that they are 2 separate events and one bouquet of flowers does not cover both. Or dinner.
Sorry to leave such a long comment, but I have to share the menu for the restaurant we’re going to (Great Sage) on the 14th:

$50, all items are gluten free. Reservations required.

*Portabella mushrooms may replace tofu but must be specified with reservation

Amuse
Sweet potato and caramelized shallot galette topped with grilled asparagus and vegan boursin cheese

1st Course
Arugula and blood orange salad tossed in a pink peppercorn vinaigrette, grilled hearts of palm and topped with salty chocolate covered cashews

2nd Course
Yellow pepper soup with Spanish saffron, cilantro coulis

3rd Course
Garlic-herb smoked Tofu*, crispy grilled vegetable polenta cake, truffled pea puree and tomato confit.

4th Course
Cherry cabernet gelato in a chocolate cup, sugar lattice and a chocolate heart

18 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

wow – well you certainly will be celebrating with this dinner – all of it sounds awesome! I can’t wait to hear all about it! birthdays near other holidays – *sigh* sounds like you’ve made the rules clear, though ;)

19 Emily January 30, 2012 at 11:22 am

These would be fun for a party!

20 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

they are! :)

21 Kalinda January 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love how awesome and hot pink they are! I really need to get my hands on one of those shot glass molds.

22 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

I know, the pink is perfect! you really should get one of these, they are SO fun! :)

23 Nichole January 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

You know the way to my heart. For real.

24 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:50 am

cheers to you with pink shots!

25 Christin@purplebirdblog January 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

EeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee! I love them! And I super love that they are dyed with beets. I have turnips and beets fermenting right now and I can’t wait to dye my insides bright pink! Wait… ugh. That sounded better in my head. ;)

26 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:50 am

I know – my beet juice always turns out so pretty pink, I figured I’d try it! :) haa – pink insides for sure!

27 natalie (the sweets life) January 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

these might be one of the cutest things i’ve ever seen!

28 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:49 am

thanks, Natalie! :)

29 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm

But … I haven’t missed Valentine’s Day already, haven’t I?

(Another moment of outing myself: I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. It’s not that I boycott it, I just neglect it. To my defense, I have to say that we don’t have that much of VD hype over here. It’s coming, though, like the Halloween thing. I also don’t have anybody to celebrate it with.)

I wonder: Is there a possibility to make vegan white choc yourself? From cocoa butter, coconut milk, and sugar, for example? Just a thought. ;)

Otherwise: Wonderful post! Paradise-pink-frosting-clouds-silver-pearl-happiness to make my Tuesday. :D

30 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:49 am

nope, I am just very early with Valentines treats! :D

funny you ask, I tried to make my own chocolate! they worked for a “chip”, although they melted into the cookie, so I don’t know if it would hold up in this glass. I shall keep trying though, I know I can do it!

Happy Tuesday, dear friend! XO … wait… is it Wednesday for you now?

31 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} January 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm

You’ve done it again Kris! Even though I don’t drink I’m gonna have to get me a shot glass mold. There’s a dozen other things I want to make with this! They are just awesome!!!

32 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:43 am

I know, I cannot stop! and YES – you should get one, they can be filled with anything! heck, just fill them with whip cream… ;)

33 Pure2raw twins January 31, 2012 at 4:28 am

oh girl, you are so creative!!! i love this idea!!

34 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:42 am

thanks – these things are so fun to make!

35 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 31, 2012 at 4:58 am

I had no idea that conversation hearts weren’t vegan… I just googled and you’re right, there’s no such thing! Hmm… I say make them and sell them on your blog! hehe

36 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:41 am

I know, pretty sure I have to make some. I LOVE those things. but gelatin, yuck.

37 mightyvegan January 31, 2012 at 8:29 am

As soon as I saw this picture on Finding Vegan I knew it was you! Absolutely beautiful!

38 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

hee – yep, I’ve done it again. ;) these glass moulds are SO fun!

39 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons January 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

you know how brilliant you are right? ohmygosh girl! the white chocolate and beet combo for the glasses is ahhhhhhhhhhhhmazing! love love love it!

40 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 2:02 pm

thanks, darlin’ ;) wish I could share these with you!! XO

41 hihorosie January 31, 2012 at 8:53 pm

ha ha! These are so adorable!

42 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

hee, thank you! XO

43 Tori February 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I think these would rock for St. Patty’s Day too only green….perfect for a drink inspired holiday. :) These are adorable…now have to buy the shot glasses for me and a set for my sister too.

44 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

definitely! you can bet I’ll be making SOMETHING with these for St Pattys!

45 Larissa February 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

I love your blog. the recent desserts have me wanting to get in my own kitchen!

46 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm

oh, good – I hope you do! XO

47 Mansi February 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Gosh! what a neat idea, perfect for V-day! I have added your photo and recipe link in my must-try recipe roundup for Valentine. I hope that’s OK!

48 Teena Mary February 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh..they look so pretty & perfect for a Valentine!! If you are willing, you can link this with my ongoing-”Valentine’s Day Event”(till Feb 20th)
So happy to follow you :)

49 Janet bright February 8, 2014 at 10:13 am

HELP??!! I want to make ur BEAUTIFUL COOKIES, however, I live with anaalcoholic… can u tell me how to make this choc with something other than the whiskey?? And btw, how do I get the juice frm the beet w/o a juicer?? Do u have any ideas?? BTW, I THINK U R VERY TALENTED!!!
JANN