buffalo dip three ways

in appetizers,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

um, what happened to January?

At the risk of sounding like my parents when I was a kid, dang, that went fast.
I haven’t had the time to share the rest of our Mexico trip with you – is that still something you want to see? I could at least show you a photo of the backpack I turtled around for the month…

Even though my team is not coming to the party, I will be watching football this weekend. Even if it’s mostly for the commercials. and the food.

Since buffalo chicken dip is a natural at a football gathering, I am sharing a few ways I make it. All very easy, all well received at our house.

First, my take on the traditional:

buffaleaux chik’n dip

dairy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 package soy curls, rehydrated
3/4 cup Franks Buffalo Sauce
8 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
1/3 cup Tofutti sour cream
6-8 ounces vegan cheddar, grated
5 stalks celery, chopped fine

Marinate soy curls in buffalo sauce while prepping cheese and celery. Combine all ingredients, adding more buffalo sauce to taste. Bake @ 350 for 35 minutes – at 20 minutes stir and cover with foil. Serve warm with celery and other dipping veggies, crackers.

Who doesn’t like a warm dip with crunchy veggies?

If there is someone out there who doesn’t, I have a cold version, which is even quicker and easier to make. This actually came about from wanting buffalo flavor on a wrap, and I made what turned into this dip:

quick buffalo dip

dairy and gluten free, vegan

8 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
3/4 cup Franks buffalo sauce
6-8 ounces vegan cheddar, grated
5 stalks celery, chopped fine

Combine cream cheese and buffalo sauce – stir in cheddar and celery. Serve with more celery and other dippers. Store covered in refrigerator – use for sandwich and wrap spread.

Mmm, a quick and easy way to buffalo dip? Yes please.

This last ‘recipe’ uses the quick buffalo dip, adding caramelized onions. and more celery.

buffalo on a log

dairy and gluten free, vegan

one recipe quick buffalo dip
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon dried basil

In saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in butter, maple syrup and salt. With frequent stirring, the onion should caramelize within 20 minutes. Add basil and remove from heat, set aside to cool.

Cut celery into 2-3 inch pieces, fill each piece with dip. Top with caramelized onions.

Go football!

Will you be watching?

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 31, 2012 at 6:24 am

The color of this dip is awesome. I have no plans to watch the game but I’ll be feasting in honor of it ;)

2 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:41 am

it is SO bright! enjoy your game day eats!

3 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 31, 2012 at 8:22 am

We are actually having a vegan Superbowl party at my house on Sunday, and my hubby requested a “buffalo wing” recipe. I was planning on making chickpea cutlets and just smothering them in hot sauce, but this might be a more creative option.
Since I don’t have soy curls, do you think that just using TSP or TVP would work?
Also- I ordered the shot glass mold from Amazon yesterday. I’m hoping that it arrives in time for the weekend!!

4 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:40 am

yes – make this – I am positive TVP would work! I am so excited that you got the shot glass – you are going to have SO much fun with it! :D

5 Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

I want to come watch football with you. <3

6 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:38 am

I want you to!

7 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 31, 2012 at 10:35 am

Buffalo on a log beats ants on a log, any day :)

what a great dip and FUN presentation!

8 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 10:37 am

right?? I am not a big fan of raisins… unless they’re hiding in cookies ;)

9 Allie January 31, 2012 at 11:12 am

I’ll be watching! For the ads and food, too :D Layered bean dip is my classic, it wouldn’t be the Superbowl without it.

10 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 2:03 pm

hee – yeah, and honestly, it would take me a minute to even recall WHO is playing. I HAVE been watching, so I … um … could figure it out eventually. *shhh* I’m making my 7 layer dip this weekend also! :D enjoy!

11 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Am I right in that “Buffalo” rather refers to a team than an animal in this regard?

We don’t have an (American) football culture here, so I don’t watch. We have soccer / football, though, but I only watch the games of the national team.

12 spabettie January 31, 2012 at 2:01 pm

buffalo in this case is NOT an animal, you are right about that – it refers to a type of hot sauce, I think named because it is the sauce used for “buffalo wings” – which are actually CHICKEN. confused yet? geez, me too. silly Americans. ;) it is also the source of the very orange color of these dips! :D

13 Anu January 29, 2014 at 6:53 am

buffalo wings are called that because they were invented at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York :)

14 STUFT Mama January 31, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Yo uare juts too much! I am amazed everytime I come to your blog. I need some serious lessons in the kitchn from you!
No plans on watching the game. It would be impossible with these crazy kids running around. :) Ha ha!
And those Valnetine’s shots? Are you kidding me lady? You need to write a book!

15 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

Kristin, your comments always bring a giddy smile to my face!! really, they mean a lot, keep me motivated to continue sharing! :D I would LOVE to write a book… actually, I have several ideas in mind… ;)

16 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 31, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hehe, the buffalo on a log is very cute :) And topped with caramelized onions, love that!!

17 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

of course, I knew you’d like the onions + buffalo on a log! :)

18 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com January 31, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Yum! I love all three of these recipes! And they are sooooooo much healthier than the traditional buffalo chicken dip I make each year for the Super Bowl!

19 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 31, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Franks hot sauce rocks! I will not be watching, but I will be eating! I hope things are going well today! I’m thinking about you!

20 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:50 am

Franks is my favorite.

and thank you… today I learn how to take care of Dad, trach and feeding tube, etc, because he hopefully comes home in the next few days… chemo begins next week. Sarena, I am so thankful for you, your sweet messages and your continued prayers and support. It means more than you could know! XO

21 myfudo January 31, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I am glad I checked into your blog, this will really be perfect for the Super Bowl weekend…Excited much! I did a lot preparation. This recipe has to be in my menu. Great post, Spabettie!

22 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:48 am

so glad you are adding this to the festivities – have a great time and enjoy!!

23 Lisa B January 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This looks so yummy! Everyone love buffalo chicken flavored stuff—once, I made buffalo chicken dip and took it to a party…all the boys stood around the crockpot and ate it till it was gone. A hit, I guess :-)

24 spabettie February 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

ha – I can absolutely picture that scene. it has happened at my house too…

25 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) February 1, 2012 at 9:39 am

Super Bowl Sunday done and done! And buff on a log is so cute! Do you have a buffalo wing recipe too?

26 Heather Blackmon (@betterwithveg) February 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Interesting using soy curls instead of vegan chicken in the buffaleaux chik’n dip – I’ve still not had a chance to try soy curls, I guess I need to change that.

27 Del December 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

These recipes sound and look so yummy but I have a problem with the trans fats in Tofutti. Of course the Tofutti in America may be trans fat free, I am writing from Australia.

28 Kristina Sloggett December 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

sorry you don’t have the non hydrogenated version in your area, Del – we have had it here for many years (and it is the one I use – I have a problem with the other as well). Cheers!