pink thumbprints with whiskey ganache

in baking,Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,Valentines Day,Vegan

Now that February is here, I can really start celebrating Valentines and all things pink. Once I saw the beautiful color that comes from beet juice, I started coloring everything pink. I am also drinking a lot of beet juice. The juice balances out all the desserts we are enjoying.

I am super excited about this cookie recipe. They have a sweet buttery flavor and a perfect soft consistency. I have already made two other cookie styles in addition to the thumbprint.

pink thumbprint butter cookies

makes 20 cookies

gluten, dairy, egg and soy free, vegan

1 cup butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour (gluten free ap)
1/4 cup milk (vanilla almond)
juice from 1 beet

Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, adding milk by the tablespoon as necessary. Combine until dough forms, do not over mix. Add beet juice. Knead into a ball, cool in refrigerator 10 minutes. Roll one inch pieces of dough into ball, make a thumbprint, place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 300 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with a spoonful of whiskey ganache. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Cool completely.

whiskey ganache

8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 ounce whiskey

In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate. Remove from heat, stir in whiskey 1/4 ounce at a time. Mixture will go from glossy to matte, continue stirring until ganache consistency is reached, approximately 2 minutes.

Whiskey ganache might be the best thing I have ever thought up. Deeply sweet and wonderfully spiked, it pairs well with the subtle butter cookie.

Pink and brown always look great together, also.

Happy Valentines Day!

and don’t worry, the pink color will come off your hands. usually within a day.

1 Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg February 3, 2012 at 5:12 am

You are just so creative! I think it’s kinda funny that the cookie eater is caught pink handed :)

2 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm

haa – yep! beet juice is an unforgiving tattletale! :)

3 Jann February 8, 2014 at 10:27 am

Help!!?? I live w alcoholic, how can I make choc whiskey?? What can I use in it’s place?? And how do I get juice frm beet w/o juicer?? I must tell u how VERY TALENTED I think u are!!

4 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 3, 2012 at 5:27 am

Beautiful, and totally worth pink hands.

5 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm

completely!

6 Jillian@whiskeydrinkinchimneysweep.com February 3, 2012 at 6:54 am

Those are beautiful. How do get the juice from beets? I eat them a few times a week and when I pressure cook them the remaining liquid is a vibrant dark red hue. Would that be sufficient? And whiskey. Yum!

7 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I put the beets through my juicer. sounds like what you do would work… it really doesn’t take a whole lot, as you know beet juice is DARK! :) and yeah, I knew you’d like the whiskey chocolate! :)

8 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 3, 2012 at 7:03 am

FYI- my shotglass molds shipped from Amazon two days ago. I’m really hoping they arrive by tomorrow so I can play with them this weekend!

I love that color. I usually buy beet powder and add water to it, rather than beet juice (which I guess I could make in my juicer if I felt like cleaning it!). It’s a great thing to have on hand- I use it for a vegan ruben recipe that is out of this world.

9 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

so… have you made anything yet??? :D

WHERE do you get beet powder? online? in stores? (another reader asked…)

can’t wait to see what you make with your molds! XO

10 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 3, 2012 at 7:18 am

How fun – I’ve never made thumbprint cookies. What do you think about adding in some PB to the chocolate?

11 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm

these were my first thumbprints! :) Mmm, yes I think pb with the chocolate would be GOOD.

12 Biz February 3, 2012 at 7:24 am

You had me at whiskey! These look delicious :D

13 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm

thank you, Biz! :D I am not a whiskey drinker (but Jason is, so we have it around), but I DO like the flavor with the chocolate!

14 Allie February 3, 2012 at 7:27 am

Whiskey ganache? Brilliant! I have a roommate who works in whiskey, and I don’t want to admit JUST how many bottles are in my kitchen. Pretty pretty cookies! Yes for pink season.

15 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm

“a roommate who works in whiskey” < -- Jason wants to move in... ;)

16 Allie February 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

There is certainly plenty to share, he’s more than welcome to stop by and grab a bottle…or four.

17 Jess February 3, 2012 at 8:44 am

I LOVE that this uses beet juice for color!! SO creative!

18 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm

thanks, Jess. I was happy they turned out so pretty! and surprisingly you cannot taste the beet flavor… :D

19 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

They’re pink, and cookies, and chocolate…all in one. Love it. I’ve been on a thumbprint making streak, too. These look great and beet juice..nice!

20 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm

these are my first thumbprints ever! I see more in my future… ;)

21 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

Ok, seriously – how are you cranking out so many awesome recipes so quickly – these look awesome!! Love the beet juice for the coloring and whiskey in the ganache.

22 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:05 pm

thank you, Heather!! :) you know that phenomenon – when you are SO INSANELY busy, you get more done?? I think that’s happening right now… because I have so much going on, but have been on one of my creative streaks, too. these are really good cookies, very easy and SO tasty! XXO!

23 julie@mightyvegan February 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

Amazing as usual!

24 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm

thanks, my dear. thinking of you today! XO

25 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca February 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

you mixed whiskey with chocolate and put it into a pink cookie. I think I’m coming to Portland to steal you <3

26 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm

ha! :) this just made me smile big :D

27 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

I love the color of these! And that they are colored naturally with beet juice is awesome. You rock. :-)

28 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm

thanks, Maryea! the beet juice is one of the best parts, I think! :)

29 Lisa B February 3, 2012 at 11:32 am

These are beautiful—love the idea of using beet juice. I’ll be doing that promptly, I’m sure!

30 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I am thrilled with the beet juice – it is sometimes difficult to find food tint that is vegan… and STILL pretty. ;)

31 Jann February 8, 2014 at 10:20 am

I LOVE THIS PINK!!! I CAN’T WAIT TO TRY THIS!! I’m just not sure how to get the juice out w/o a juicer???

32 Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite February 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Those look beautiful :) loooveee the pink!

33 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm

thanks, Jess! I love pink, too, this cookie was pretty fun to make!

34 Beth @ Tasty Yummies February 3, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Wow these are so beautiful. I can’t get over that color, it is unreal. I am pretty obsessed with beet juice, myself.

35 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm

beet juice is the best, yes? I am a little obsessed with coloring everything pink, especially now for valentines… :)

36 Kalee @ SoreyFitness February 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm

These are so cute!! I think they would be cute for a bachorlette party too!

37 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm

YES, these would be PERFECT for a bachlorette party… hmm… ANOTHER idea for a spabettie etsy shop;)

38 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 3, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Beet juice, this is brilliant! All natural color! :D

Oh, and I hope I didn’t offend you with my silly comments on your about page. Way overboard (duh), but I wanted to make you smile. The idea of plant-based nutrition is still on my mind and won’t leave (I know myself), so let’s see where it’s going to take me. :)

39 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I was SO happy with the beet juice result – I imagined it would be a nice color since my juice with beets is always so pretty…

and again, yes, now that I KNOW what you’re talking about… you KNOW you can not offend me! XXO

I am so very excited for you and your plant based journey, dear friend!

40 Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

These are so cute, and I LOVE the color combo!!

41 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

thank you, Anna! they were fun to make, and I love the pink and brown too! :)

42 Laura February 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Super fab! We are making them tomorrow as we have nothing else to do in Denver besides shovel snow!

43 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I hope you liked them – a good break from snow shoveling! XO

44 Pure2raw Twins February 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm

yes brown and pink do go so well together!!! and those pink thumbprint cookies are beautiful and scream Valentines Day ;)
love it!

45 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

thank you! making more just in time for Valentines…

46 lindsay February 3, 2012 at 6:42 pm

beet juice color is awesome for this! I love using it too. But i have to say, the whiskey is the best addition. you know me. hehe.

47 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

well, yes, even though I do not drink it at all, I have to say the whiskey made the recipe. :D XO hope all is good with you, dear friend!

48 caitlin February 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Kris my dear, you are a creative culinary genius! I just made these and WOW YUM!!

49 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

SO glad you like them. easy and tasty, right? XXO

50 Shirley @ gfe February 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

That color is incredible! Love that it comes from beet juice! :-) I bet these are divine, Kristina. Hehe on the pink coloring coming off in about a day. About the same as our hand stamps from the concert we attended last night. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

51 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

haa – I know all about those hand stamps… some of them last through a couple showers!! :) yeah, when you are kneading this dough, your hands become pink… and your counters… and the mixing bowls… and… and…
;)

52 Gloria February 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

These look delicious!! Where can I purchase beet powder (or, how does one “juice” a beet…the visual I am getting is just too funny)?

53 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I have heard there is beet powder… I have not seen it, though. I’d say a specialty store, perhaps a baking shop. definitely online?

I did just juice a beet, though… I put fresh beets through my Breville juicer. :)

54 Jann February 8, 2014 at 10:39 am

I have no juicer?? What else can I do to juice it??
Thx
Jann

55 Kristina Sloggett February 8, 2014 at 11:31 am

hi Jann! if you boil some beets they will produce a deep rich red color, you can use that. (and perhaps even puree one of the boiled (softened) beets and add a small amount for a deeper color.

ENJOY!

56 Danielle @Fresh4five February 4, 2012 at 10:28 am

Lovely colour!

57 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm

thank you! I was happy they turned out so vibrant just with beets!

58 Laura February 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Made them. I added maple syrup to the chocolate b/c wasn’t sure the liquor would be good for the kids. I didn’t use enough beet juice to get them bright pink so I guess I’ll have to make them again! They are super yummy though!

59 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm

oh, darn, you’ll have to make them again! ;) glad you liked them, and yes, they’d be just as good with the kid friendly maple syrup!

60 Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves) February 5, 2012 at 5:28 am

These are so cute, and I love the colour! I love thumbprint cookies – you can have so much fun with them. And you can never go wrong with whisky ganache either…

61 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I know, whiskey ganache makes everything better… this was actually my first thumbprint cookie ever!

62 Farrah February 6, 2012 at 8:04 am

these are gorgeous!!

63 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

thank you, Farrah!

64 Christin@purplebirdblog February 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I really have no words other than SHITCHYEAH! :)

65 Amanda February 8, 2012 at 6:18 am

These are adorable! So perfect for valentines day, and the whisky ganache is PERFECT! We hope you share this with other food lovers on our community page! Our food lovers would love to read about this delicious treat! http://bit.ly/wlZhX4

66 hihorosie February 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

mm, yummers! Love the pink!

67 Jonathan July 4, 2012 at 3:55 am

looks great, you have unique things here!

68 Tommy August 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

these are beautiful, mama! we are making them right now so I had to say hi! XO

69 zoe December 26, 2012 at 9:06 pm

These sound amazing and I’m looking forward to making them, but I’m wondering how they are gluten free when it calls for whiskey, what other kind of liquor can you use to make them completely gluten free?

70 Kristina Sloggett December 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

hi Zoe,

whiskey (and all other distilled spirits) is gluten free and safe for celiac and gluten intolerant people; the distilling process removes all traces of gluten in the end product. I originally found this information on celiac.com safe foods list : http://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Gluten-Free-Alcoholic-Beverages/Page1.html

71 Jann February 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

I live with an alcoholic, can you tell me how to make the chocolate ganache without the whiskey…and can you tell me how to get the juice from the beet without a juicer??? I have put this reply up several times but for some reason it keeps leaving out several words so you can’t even read it or understand it???!!! Anyway I love these cookies they look beautiful and I want to try them so bad!!! and I must tell you how very talented I think you are!!!

72 Kristina Sloggett February 8, 2014 at 11:32 am

hello Jann! you can easily make this chocolate ganache without the whiskey – it will be just as delicious!