pomegranate cranberry hearts

in Dessert,Gluten Free,raw,recipes,snacks,Valentines Day,Vegan

Today I bring you yet another Valentines treat (I think I declared it Valentines Week?). As rich and flavorful as this recipe is, it is also very easy, and no bake.

Even if you do not make the bars heart shaped, it is already appropriately colored for Valentines. Naturally and vibrantly colored.

If you do make heart shapes? You get many little scraps to snack on. This is another positive in my book.

pomegranate cranberry bars

sesame cashew crust:

2 cups raw cashews
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Pulse cashews and sesame seeds in food processor; add coconut oil and blend until dough forms. Line 9X9 square baking dish with parchment, spread crust in even layer.

pomegranate cranberry filling:

6 oz (1 bag) dried cranberries
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
zest and juice of 1 lime
1/3 block tempeh (7 ounce package)
1 tablespoon agave

Pulse cranberries, pomegranate, lime juice + zest, and tempeh, add agave. Spread filling in even layer atop crust.

Refrigerate 1 hour before cutting in squares. Makes 9-16 squares, depending on serving size.

Are you baking, cooking or crafting anything for Valentines? Please share links, I would love to see!

Speaking of creative Valentines crafts, I am spending Friday night making these. I have friends, family and a bunch of ICU nurses to give Valentines to.

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 9, 2012 at 6:52 am

So cute! And I love the ridges that the cutter made in the hearts. So rustic and homey looking and what a great pom spread!

2 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 9, 2012 at 6:59 am

That Valentine’s craft is so cute! I should make one for my husband…
I love your recipe- especially since it uses tempeh! When I first saw the photo with the cut-outs I thought “I hope she didn’t throw those scraps away!” Yes- I’d be happy to snack on those all day long. :)

3 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm

we think alike, my dear. OF COURSE I ate the scraps! :D

4 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 9, 2012 at 8:03 am

This is unbelievable – I never thought to use tempeh in a dessert. Definitely trying these out. such a pretty color, too!

I can’t imagine how you had enough crust… I’d have eaten it all straight from the mixer. :)

5 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

yeah, perhaps you should make extra crust… ;) this stuff is SO good. tempeh is really cool in desserts, adds nutrients but you really can’t taste it!

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles February 9, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oooh, I like these! One of my hubbys favorite desserts is a cranberry shortbread bar, I wonder if he’d like these… They sound awesome to me :D

7 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I bet he would? the crust is a different consistency than shortbread, but VERY good! :)

8 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 9, 2012 at 8:53 am

I LOVE These!!! Thank you for such a simple, yet amazing recipe to share with my loved one this V-Day :)

xxoo

9 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies February 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

These are super cute! I thought that was a shortbread crust at first, but love the idea of cashew-sesame crust with coconut oil. I made Shiner Bock cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and peanut butter m&ms.. you know, nothin’ special ;)

10 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm

oh my stars, your “nothin’ special” sounds AWESOME. I’ll trade ya… ;)

11 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Beautiful! I still need to try one of your dessert recipes using tempeh.

12 Richa@HobbyandMore February 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

Is it just me.. or there has been a creative innovative creations overload coz 1 its vday, 2 the bake off!:) i cant imagine how the judges are going to decide:)
i am intrigued by the tempeh cranberry topping.. another use of tempeh!

13 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm

yes, it’s a unique one but tasty! :) and I KNOW, I don’t envy those judges (well, maybe I do just a little…) they are all baking up a storm this weekend, I’m sure!

14 Christina February 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

These look awesome! So pretty, so delicious, and I love the ingredients! Interesting use of tempeh too as I don’t think I’ve seen it used like this before. Quick question: do you cook your tempeh before using it or use it straight out of the container?

15 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:42 pm

hi Christina – for this recipe, I use the tempeh right out of the package!

and thank you, I hope you try it, it’s one of my favorites!

16 Christina February 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for letting me know!!

17 Kaila @healthyhelperblog February 9, 2012 at 4:05 pm

THESE LOOK SO GOOD! I love cashews as a base! These remind me of my favorite bar that used to be on the market…it was a cranberry, pom, nut bar and it was FABULOUS! But it was discontinued sadly… :( Now I can make my own though! WIN!

18 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I bet these will taste similar, then… I hope you like them! :)

19 dorry February 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

now this – THIS is my kind of treat. as a kid, I didn’t like chocolate – not even a bit, so I always went for the fruity dessert and loved Pepperidge Farm Verona cookies. These remind me of a completely awesome remake of those!

20 Kris @krazy_kris February 10, 2012 at 4:38 am

Oh my! No bake? I still don’t have a stove! This just might be the recipe that I pulse cashews! Hmmmm … Note to self: determine how much 6 oz is and pulse cashews!

21 Christina February 10, 2012 at 8:54 am

Wow you added tempeh?? I would have NEVER thought to put that in a dessert. Did you taste it at all or did it leave any odd texture factor?

22 spabettie February 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

you cannot taste it at all! just there for texture and goodness! :) I have always used dried fruits so far, and very flavorful ones (like cranberries, apricots, pineapple + ginger) so the taste of the tempeh is not there! no real texture either, it gets ground up.

23 Kris February 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’m back! Just double checking…. Geesh! I still need coconut oil and sesame seed…

Sooooooo close!

Did you really make those valentines? You are amazing…. Xoxo

24 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

you could probably forgo the sesame seed? coconut oil is a must, though :) YES I made them Just For YOOOOOOU

25 Jeanette February 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm

What cute treats for Valentine’s Day. So interesting, the use of tempeh in the filling – I’ve never thought of it as a sweet, but such a smart idea since it’s so nutrient dense.

26 Tara Burner February 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

looks yummy!

27 Kimi February 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

now THESE are a treat I can eat, yum!

28 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I hope you do, Kimi! let me know if you like them!

29 Lida February 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm

these look beautiful, and I bet taste beautiful too!

30 spabettie February 27, 2012 at 10:42 pm

thanks, Lida!

31 Janice March 3, 2012 at 9:50 pm

we made these over the weekend, HOLY COW SO GOOD!!

32 Brenda March 7, 2012 at 2:24 am

unique and pretty, I cant wait to try these. apricot sounds good too.

33 Nina March 7, 2012 at 2:28 am

Hi there,
I ‘refound’ your blog this week after seeing (and buying) a glass shots mould and remembering your pink chocolate glass delight, but that’s another story. :)
What size block of tempeh did you use a third of? I’m in Australia and packaged goods don’t necessarily come in a ‘standard’ size.
Keen to make these as they look soo luscious and sound pretty healthful.
Thanking you in advance,
Nina

34 spabettie March 7, 2012 at 6:37 am

hi Nina! so happy you found me from those shot glasses – I’d love to hear more about what you do with yours! they are so fun.

the tempeh I used was from a 7 ounce package. this is one of my favorite recipes (I’ve also made it with dried apricot which is GOOD), so I hope you like it! cheers, Kristina

35 Nina March 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Hi Kristina,
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. 65 grams of Tempeh, sorted!
I can’t wait to receive my shot glass mould. I’ll be sure to update you of developments. :)
Dried apricots sound lovely. I’ve added that too my recipe printout as an option. Did you use them instead of cranberries?
Thanks again,
Nina

36 spabettie March 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

hi Nina! you are so welcome – I hope you love these bars as much as we do… yes, you can simply replace the cranberry with pretty much any other dried fruit – apricot is my favorite, I have also made some with figs, yum!

37 Simcha March 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

What a great recipe and so healthy, I will try and make these myself, never would have tought of tempeh but the best thing for me was the crust so easy and healthy

38 spabettie March 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

hi Simcha! these really are so easy, and VERY tasty – I hope you enjoy!

39 Jane Baker March 14, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I have prepared these now twice for my ladies group, they are a favorite. did not tell them they were healthy, we will keep that our secret! thank you Miss Bettie

40 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 7:07 am

oh, Jane, I am so happy you and your group like these! they are very easy to use other flavors, too – just swap the dried fruit for another – I have made apricot, fig, even pineapple!

41 Lora March 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I made the apricot version (that I should have made a long time ago!!!!)LOL. these are too good.

42 Bella March 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

such a great combination, these taste so good! can’t wait to try the apricot, thank you!

43 Larissa March 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm

made these this weekend and they were delicious! can’t wait to make more.

44 Anne April 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm

inventive recipe, very creativ!

45 Kraftopia April 4, 2012 at 12:06 am

first time commenting here, had to say thank you for this unique dessert idea!!

46 Joy April 16, 2012 at 7:52 am

unusual ingredient but did not hinder my interest and I am very glad for that, this bar is tasty. thankyou!

47 Jill King May 22, 2012 at 9:06 am

just made these, normal squares though. very good!

48 Dori July 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm

got here from your raw cheesecake recipe, I’ll try this one first LOL

49 Christine February 9, 2013 at 6:51 am

Hi there – had this saved since last V-day and this year I really want to try making them, but I’m having a heck of a time finding pomegranate this time of year. Any suggestions for a substitute to go with the dried cranberries?

50 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm

A second dried fruit would work well here, maybe an apricot, a fig or date, or something else you like? enjoy!

51 wendy February 3, 2014 at 12:52 pm

“raw” tempeh??!?!?! shut the front door. I have never tried it. Tofu yes… very exciting!~ thanks.

52 Kristina Sloggett February 3, 2014 at 8:11 pm

it works, yes! these are one of my favorites that I make often – I’ll have to make some and stop by your “coffee shop” soon! XXO