fathers

in real life wisdom

I have been meaning to share the view outside my dad’s hospital room.

Someone attached three super heros onto a string, and they fly right by the windows.

Super heros = people you look up to. People you want to emulate and celebrate.

My dad has been my hero these last several months. Going through some pretty tough surgeries, and now having a trach temporarily take his voice, he has been nothing but positive and strong. He always has a big smile for me, and like I shared before, always jokes with me and the nurses.

He is able to cough through his trach, and does it well. He was telling me the other day he scared a nurse, made her jump, because his cough was so loud.

This is how he told me:

I had to take a photo of that, because it makes me smile. I look at it often.

So many of you continue to ask about him and send positive thoughts, and I thank you for all of them. Your words mean more than you know. Dad is doing well, and is now at home. I have this nurse thing down to an imperfect science, and it’s a nice visit each morning when I show up. We had an oncologist appointment today – I really like his whole team of doctors – and he starts chemo treatment this Thursday. I will keep you updated – his plan goes several months.

Now I have sat here at my keyboard for the last several minutes, not knowing how to say what I have to say.

We lost Jason’s dad yesterday. It was completely unexpected and we are numb with shock and sadness. One day I may share more about Jason’s dad, and what an amazing person he was. I am so happy to have known him, he was another who was positive and funny and always put others before himself.

As they say back in Missouri, very Salt of the Earth.

The world lost a good one yesterday. A real life hero.

Bob, you impacted many. You are dearly missed, by many.

1 caitlin February 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hugs. Love you!

2 julie@mightyvegan February 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I cannot even believe that! So similar to what just happened with my mother-in-law. Your family is in my thoughts and I’m so sorry for your loss!

3 Lisa February 13, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I love the super hero on the string AND your dad’s drawing. It made me laugh, too.

I’m sorry to hear about Jason’s dad. BIG HUGS!!! :(

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Oh wow, I am so incredibly sorry to hear about your loss. My heart goes out to you both. I am, however, glad to hear that your dad is doing better and is at least home. Hugs to you!

5 Evan Thomas February 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm

So sorry for your family’s loss.

6 Sana February 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

:( Sorry to hear.

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 13, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Oh no, I am so incredibly sorry for yours and Jason’s loss. How incredibly sad and heartbreaking. My thoughts, prayers and love go to you and your family. xoxo

8 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 13, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Lots and lots of love your way. That’s a lot for one family.

You dad sounds like a great man. A positive attitude and a sense of humor will go a long way. My dad reveled in keeping all his nurses on their toes. Still makes me smile to think about.

xo

9 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Oh Kris, I don’t know what to say other than I am soooooooo sorry for this loss. Unexpected AND with your dad’s health hanging in the balance…I am so sorry for what your family must be going through. I can’t even imagine but I am sending my deepest empathy and prayers.

10 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

My thoughts are with you guys… it’s not an easy thing to have a sick parent, nor is it easy to lose one. The days get easier…slow and steady, but they get easier.

11 Eden February 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Good lord, I’m so sorry. I know my own dads time us numbered and I’m gonna hug him extra tight tonight.

12 spabettie February 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm

please do, Eden. give him an extra from me.

13 dorry February 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

oh, Kris. sending you all the hugs and love I have inside me right this minute. as you know – I know this type of loss well with Billy’s father. I am so sorry for this great loss, and saying prayers for peace and comfort in all the hearts of those who loved and knew Jason’s dad…especially Jason! love him and hold him tight. it’s a process. I know you’re having to be a strong woman right now in so many ways, and I just love you so much. here for you.

14 Abby February 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Pardon me, but what the hell? Why is there so much of this going around right now? It seems everywhere I turn–online and off–great people are taken too soon.

I’m so sorry for your loss and all that you’re going through. While we all are sad when they go, it’s only because they were so great when they were here. Enjoy every second, huh? You’re in my thoughts, my friend.

15 Christine (Merf) February 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm

The dinosaur coughing made me laugh so hard, then I am in tears reading about yours and Jason’s loss. It can be hard to remember to cherish every day but it sounds like you two are pretty good at it.

16 Jess February 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Oh friend, I am so sorry for you and Jason’s loss. So sad for you. I am sending you lots of hugs and love and anything else I can think of right now. Your dad, and Jason’s dad – amazing men. That much is very clear to me just by reading your words tonight.

17 Lisa B February 13, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Kristina. Sending love and hugs to you and Jason.

18 Christina February 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’m glad you’re dad is doing better and is home! That’s truly a huge improvement!

However I’m so sorry for your loss :( It’s always worse when someone is gone unexpectedly, we’ll keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers.

19 jobo February 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm

oh my goodness, that is so so sad. I am so sorry to hear that news. I will definitely give my own father a call this week. We don’t have the best relationship in the world, but a call once in awhile speaks volumes. Take care, and I am keeping you both, and your fathers, past and present, in my prayers.

20 Shirley @ gfe February 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Oh, what a shock, Kristina! Truly such a tough time for you guys. Sending my deepest sympathy, dear. And I love that dinosaur note from your dad. So telling on his outlook on life. :-)

Big, big hugsssss,
Shirley

21 sophia February 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Dear Kris,
At moments like this, there is nothing smart or perfect to say, except…Hug. Tons and tons of hugs to you and your family at this difficult time.

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 13, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oh Kris, I’m so so sorry to hear this. You guys have had an awfully rough time as of late. Prayers and thoughts with you.

23 Lynn F February 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

So sorry to hear about Jason’s dad and so happy your dad is home and you are able to be with him. Give Jason a hug for me please, and tell him he and his family are in my thoughts. ♥

24 Mama Pea February 13, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Gosh, when it rains it pours, right? God must really know how strong of a woman you are. Even so, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. Prayers to your family for healing of all kinds.

25 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Oh Kris, I am so so sorry for your loss — sending loads of hugs and prayers to you, Jason and the family. Stay strong. Let me know if I can assist in any way.

26 lindsay February 13, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Wow, i didn’t expect that coming. And i am so so sorry. Please tell Jason that we are praying for his family during this time. Friend, you are going through a lot now. You heart must be heavy. Know that i am here whenever you need to vent, cry, type, etc. Hugging you from NZ!

27 katie February 14, 2012 at 4:50 am

omg, I can not believe the loss of Jason’s dad : ( I am so sorry, please send love to him, his family, and all that loved his father. I am so sorry for this tough time you both are going through, I am sending so much love and prayers.

I am thinking of your dad and hope Thursday goes good for him, I know chemo is no fun after seeing my late gram go through that. Sending him lots of love and get wells.

I would love if you could send me your address, if you could please email me, healthydivaeats@hotmail.com

You are such a strong and beautiful person, so glad to call you a friend.

Tell Jason to stay strong <3

28 meg February 14, 2012 at 6:05 am

My heart goes out today, sounds like it’s been a rough week. Your dad will be in my thoughts and prayers. <3

29 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

thank you so much, Meg. <3

30 natalie (the sweets life) February 14, 2012 at 8:12 am

ahh so much happiness and sadness in one post. thrilled to hear about your dad (and will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers!), but so very sorry for your loss!

31 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I know, very mixed post. thank you, Natalie – your continued thoughts are very appreciated <3

32 Megan February 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

Your dad sounds awesome!

I’m so sorry about Jason’s dad. :( Hugs!

33 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm

thanks, Megan! my dad is awesome, and so was Jason’s… such a great person.

34 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 14, 2012 at 8:54 am

My love…I’m sending you and Jason all the love and light today! I’m so sorry to hear all this sad news and my heart really goes to you guys. What a sadness.

Its a hard thing to lose someone so strong, so real and so full of life to one day not have them around. Love you!

I’m also happy to hear your dad is home ;) He’s a strong man, eh?? Gosh, you’re a strong woman for being in this all <3

xxoo

35 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

thank you SO much, dear friend. I really appreciate you. XXO

36 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’m so sorry to hear this news. Lots of love to you and your family.
xoxo

37 Geanna February 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

I am so, so sorry to hear that, Kristina. My thoughts are with you and Jason during this difficult time.

38 Carrie February 14, 2012 at 9:35 am

Kristina, my heart goes out to you and your husband. My dad died a little over a month ago. Dads are special people and it’s hard to lose them. Hugs to you, Carrie

39 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, Carrie. yes, it’s never easy. I am so thankful that I am able to spend time with my dad right now, and be his caregiver.

40 bitt February 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

So sorry for your loss. So hard in any circumstance. It sounds like you are making the most of your time with your dad. Sending all my love and prayers for your family.

41 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

thanks, Bitt – that means a lot. and yeah, I am thankful I can take this time to be with my dad, and be a caregiver. couldn’t imagine it any other way.

42 Jennie (the gf-gf) February 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

The picture your dad drew made me smile, too :-) My dad would probably do the same – his drawings are awful but always make me laugh. Dads are special people, and I’m so sorry to hear the loss of Jason’s.

43 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm

thank you, Jennie.

and yes, I really love this dino from Dad… it really does make me smile every time I see it. :)

44 Pure2raw twins February 14, 2012 at 5:56 pm

so sorry for your loss!!! thinking of you, Jason and your families.

hugs

45 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I am so, so sorry to hear this. :-( Saying a prayer for you and your family right now.

46 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

thank you SO much, Maryea. <3

47 JL goes Vegan February 15, 2012 at 4:08 am

Oh, sweetie, this is so tough! I’m thinking of you and Jason and hoping you find strength in one another (I know you are). xo

48 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

thank you SO much, dear. it means a lot. <3

49 Green Dog Wine February 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers – I’m so sorry for your loss :(

50 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm

51 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

In (again) lack of apropriate words, I just say that I wonder whether that’s a brachiosaurus in your dad’s drawing. I actually think it is, because brachiosaurus was a rather nice one (for a dinosaur). I like that. And I’m with you and Jason in my thoughts, you always know that. :)

52 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

sweet kath, I knew you would appreciate this drawing – (I often call my dad’s personality “cute”, much in the same way I describe YOURS) :D

I think it IS a brachiosaurus… my dad is a nice one too :) thank you for always making me smile.

53 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

I actually LOVE the drawing! :D

54 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) February 16, 2012 at 4:45 am

I’m so sorry for your loss… Must’ve been a huge shock. My thoughts go out to you and your loved ones. Hugs!

55 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm

thank you, Sara – much appreciated.

56 Christin@purplebirdblog February 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Kris, I am SO very sorry. I am sending you and Jason (and your dad, and Basil) the biggest virtual hugs I can muster. I wish I was there so I could help. I love you. xo

57 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm