baileys and black tea and french toast

in Breakfast,cocktails,Gluten Free,recipes,Valentines Day,Vegan

I have told you about the time we were able to get almost the whole first class cabin of a flight to change their drink order to Baileys and coffee. Baileys and coffee was also a standard mid morning indulgence when we were snowed in for three weeks a few years back. We’d go on walks in the snow, come back home, start a fire and enjoy a coffee.

I have a new favorite Baileys drink!

Baileys and black tea.

Served in the ceramic version of my favorite New York deli cup. Everything tastes better in the New York deli cup.

Very easy, really. Not even a recipe.

I brewed my favorite black tea. I added a couple shots of my homemade Baileys to it.

Mmm, this is my newest obsession. I may have to wait until Saturday to enjoy this as a Valentines breakfast… and I’ll have to wait until my nursing shift is over, but we will have this with breakfast.

We will also have french toast.

You can just go ahead and make an extra cup of Baileys and tea, then use part of it for the french toast batter. Then, you know, enjoy the rest. Cheers!

baileys and black tea french toast

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes six pieces

1/2 container (6 ounces) silken tofu
2 shots Baileys Irish Cream*
1/3 cup steeped black tea
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla
6 pieces your favorite gluten free bread

*substitute Baileys (and tea) for your choice of milk – I have made this with coconut milk

Combine all ingredients in food processor. Thin with more liquid as necessary (silken tofu varies in consistency). Pour into shallow bowl, dip bread pieces into batter and cook on a griddle over medium heat, a minute or two on each side, until cooked through and golden.

Serve with coconut spread (or butter), maple syrup and fresh fruit. Earth Balance coconut spread melts just like butter, and is so tasty good.

Being mainly gluten free and vegan, I used to think french toast was just not going to be. Oh how I love french toast – and it’s one thing that reminds me of great breakfasts shared with Grandpa Z.

I can once again make french toast – this is as good as any I’ve ever had. Great for a Valentines, or the Saturday following…

Happy Valentines Day!

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 14, 2012 at 5:44 am

French toast was one of may all-time favorite things to make when I was a kid. I had it for the first time staying the night with a friend and fell in love with it. I must try this vegan version! Awesome.

2 Curt February 14, 2012 at 7:38 am

Sounds like an awesome breakfast to me!

3 Kalinda February 14, 2012 at 7:56 am

Oh man, I LOVE the Bailey’s and black tea idea. I’m all about booze in hot beverages. And I happen to have homemade Bailey’s. This might be Valentine’s Day lunch. Ha.

4 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm

“I’m all about booze in hot beverages” … we would get along just fine… ;)

5 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

That is the prettiest french toast ever! And I adore Baileys. This is so up my alley!

6 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 14, 2012 at 8:55 am

Now, this is what I’m talking ’bout! Hello Baileys and Hello French Toast!!! Come to me please :)

Love this!
xxoo

7 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’ve made bread pudding with silken tofu before and it was awesome. I’ll have to try it on french toast. Oh, and I loooove the Earth Balance coconut spread- it’s really good melted on air-popped popcorn!

8 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I am going to have to try the popcorn… um, like TONIGHT.

9 Lisa B February 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

This looks like an amazing breakfast…!

10 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I really need to make your Bailey’s. I think I need to get on it this weekend!

I really just want to come and give you a big bear hug today. I’m thinking about you and Jason. xoxo

11 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm

you would be in good company – I know of THREE others who are making this Baileys this weekend ;)

12 Natasha February 15, 2012 at 5:10 am

Morning Beauty – Happy belated Valentines Day…thank you for your note – it meant so much. Many thoughts and prayers to Jason too…
Hey – Nurse Betty! :) How is your Daddy? I know the chemo route is not an easy one. My heart is pensive for your Papa…as long as you help him with some good nutrition on the side, and shower him with lovin’s…he will be drawing dinosaurs in no time ( I loved that picture!).
Your package is enroute with my fiance Rob – he is so kindly sending it off from his office this am….can’t wait for you to get it!
Chin up Buttercup – and FYI – I am going to make your Baileys this weekend! I needs me some whiskey! ;)
<3 Natasha

13 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm

hi sweetie!

Dad is so far, so good… okay, anyway. Today is day 2 on chemo, and his is a pretty aggressive plan. He is not hungry so we’re feeding him his canned nutrition via his stomach tube… I am SO glad we have that option, so he continues to get nutrients when he is not hungry. Dad is a strong ol’ dinosaur, so I’m hoping he can handle it fairly well.

yeeee! looking forward to the package. VERY much so. you are the sweetest.

and GOOD. I hope you enjoy the Baileys. hope you’re having a good Friday, feeling good and happy, all that. XXO!

14 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) February 15, 2012 at 7:27 am

This looks YUM! My husband would love that black tea and baileys for sure!

15 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

seriously, you should make this. SO good!

16 janetha February 15, 2012 at 11:32 am

I LOVE FRENCH TOAST. and you.

17 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm

just had some this morning… one of my favorite things EVER. :)

18 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) February 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Our dream bakery should serve french toast on the weekends ;)

Love the idea of tea and Baileys! Wait actually, perhaps that is another weekend menu item :)

19 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm

this should happen, YES. but the tea and Baileys should be an All The Time menu item!! :D

20 Matt mmWine Horbund February 16, 2012 at 7:24 pm

WHO doesn’t like Irish Coffee! And with homemade Bailey’s that’s just a bonus! And coolest coffee mugs, ever!

21 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

agreed! and yes, these mugs are my favorite! Cheers Matt!

22 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} February 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

i don’t know if i actually could have barley at breakfast time, but sounds like a delish breakfast at dinner time treat

23 Katrina March 12, 2012 at 2:09 am

this is very great. first I thought wasn’t going to work, it takes a while to cook and is almost fluffy? it did work, however, and is very very great.

24 Lara April 8, 2012 at 7:00 am

sounds amazing, I have missed french toast! (and bailys for that matter LOL)

25 Ally January 21, 2014 at 4:47 pm

To remain gluten free, what kind of bread do you use?

26 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2014 at 9:45 am

hi Ally, most often I buy loaves from our local gluten free bakery (New Cascadia Traditional); right now my favorite store bought brand of gluten free bread is Franz – they have two or three flavors, a multigrain, a white, and a raisin I believe. delicious and VERY soft, has the attributes of a “regular” slice of bread!