so that happened

in Basil is a Young Sportsman

Things do not always go smoothly in my corner of the culinary world.

What follows is an honest account of what happened yesterday. All in one day. I couldn’t make this up.

First, I needed avocados for dinner. That’s all – I had just gone to the store. I was going to run up quickly just for avocados, no big deal. I really wanted the avocados. Before I left the house, I checked all my lists (yeah, I have several) for anything else I needed, you know, since I was going. I made a list of about five things?

Five things turned into three bags of groceries. and a dark chocolate mocha from my friend Peet.

As I was driving away, I realized I forgot the avocados.

Later, making pasta for dinner, this happened.

Pouring the box of pasta into the boiling pot of water, I somehow missed. The pasta went everywhere, including into the burners. Those pastas started a fire. With two other active burners cooking, I somehow put the fire out.

Now mom tells me that blowing on it will only make it worse.

When I finally cleaned up and got the water boiling again, I was able to connect the pasta (a second box) to the pot. I walked away to continue chopping veggies, forgetting to stir pasta. That pasta did not get stirred once.

Third time’s a charm with pasta, right?

When I finally got the pasta cooked and in single pieces, I took it to the sink to drain. I have this great faucet that swivels all  the way out of the way, so there it goes. I was still frazzled I suppose, because as I was juggling the (large) pot and the strainer insert, I turned on the cold water to mix with the hot that is going down the drain. Yeah, are you already picturing this? The water is going all over my counters. and the floor.

Dachshund comes running.

Last, and perhaps most heartbreaking, this happened:

A cake I have made approximately 8927 times flawlessly, turned out like this. I have no idea why.

Dachshund comes running.

…I went back for those darn avocados. and they were good.

My kitchen still smells like burning.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

Ugh, hate it when I have days like that. Can we blame it on the klutz fairy???? Oh and the forgetful fairy?? ;-)

2 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

I have NO idea how the pasta happened – I am forgetful always but not usually clumsy?? and then the fire, GEEZ! :D

3 Lisa February 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

I hate to say it, but that happens to me more often than not! I can’t tell you how many times I go to the store for ONE THING and leave with 10 items and NOT the item I needed. I’m usually driving home and shouting “GODDAMMIT!” in the car. :)

4 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

I am positive I said something like that… ;)

5 JL goes Vegan February 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

Um, I love this post more than you can imagine. Your food is always gorgeous and I imagine you cooking it and taking photos in a stunning, ironed apron, your hair perfectly done, and you’re wearing just a touch of lipstick. Please tell me you were wearing sweatpants when this happened, okay?

6 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

HA! honestly YES, I was wearing my yoga pants and a t shirt with a hole in the sleeve ;) you are so funny – your image of what happens here is so far from it – my aprons are never ironed (and rarely worn!), my hair is almost always up in a bun (probably from my workout earlier that day, ahem…). but I may be wearing lipstick. ;)

so happy I could give you a real look into what happens around here, JL. XO!

7 JL goes Vegan February 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

I admired you more than you know, before. Now? I’m officially obsessed with how fabulous you are! xoxo

8 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:53 am

aw, sweet friend, thank you! the feeling is mutual, you know! and I cannot WAIT until we can hang out again and giggle. you are SO fun XO

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thank you for that mid afternoon laugh ;)

10 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

you are welcome, dear – thanks for laughing ;)

11 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt February 24, 2012 at 11:29 am

Its good to know the culinary master has some mishaps sometimes too! :)

Love avocados. It was worth all the work, huh?!

12 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

oh, yes – so many mishaps here. and yep, it is always worth it :D

13 curlsz February 24, 2012 at 11:33 am

I can so relate – yesterdays dinner was pretty much a disaster – resulting in a huge mess ending with me knocking over nutritional yeast, the drawers and cabinets still have the mess in them – then as I made muffins the glass container that held the flour spontaneously broke on the side – still praying there is no glass in the flour that went into the muffins – luckily the muffins rock – the dinner was 75% edible and the kitchen will get cleaned – one day

14 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:40 am

haaa… yeah, the kitchen will get cleaned. I had to clean the stove immediately because I was afraid of more FIRE, but … I am still finding random noodles around. and cake crumbs. :D

15 christina February 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

aw, i love this. i’m sorry all that happened, but sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh, bc it’s life, right? this stuff happens to me all the time. kinda makes me giggle :)

16 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 11:41 am

I know!! I am glad I can find humor in it… eventually ;)

17 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca February 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

awww, those clumsy kitchen days are the worst! :( they happen to the best of us <3

18 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I know – it was just one of those days, right? craziness…

19 Shannon Roche February 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Some days are like it. The last three days in my restaurant, I have some home with a new burn.

20 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm

ouch – I know how that is, and I don’t even get a restaurant to blame it on! :D

21 Christin@purplebirdblog February 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm

FIRE?! Oh dear!! So glad you are okay! Maybe it’s for the best that I’ve been so uninspired to cook lately… I’d probably have the same catastrophes with as nutty as I’ve been! :)

22 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm

it was a small fire, but a fire nonetheless. craziness – I am really off my game these days. shouldn’t even BE around a flame, probably ;)

23 Amy Petersen February 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I think there’s something wrong with me..cause that cake still looks delicious! I would’ve been licking the crumbs off of the counter! :)

I hope today is better!

24 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm

ha, Amy – nothing wrong with you, it IS still good… it’s in the fridge, where I snag a piece each time I walk by… ;)

25 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan February 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Oh my gosh! Wow, you deserve a medal for making it to the end of that day.

My craziest kitchen moment was when the light on my kitchen ceiling decided to spontaneously fall and crash on the floor, breaking everywhere, glass all over me. Awesome. Could’ve been worse, though; had I been standing one foot to the left, it would’ve come down on my head!

26 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm

oh my STARS sounds like you were pretty lucky… and with a big mess to clean up. I must be off my game, need more sleep or something! ;)

27 Cara February 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

ahh it happens to the best of us. Just means that a huge success is right around the corner!

28 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm

aaahhhh, I hope so! ;)

29 jobo February 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

oh man!! I probably would have given up after the water incident ;-) Hope today is better and for the record, that cake still looks delish!

30 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm

yeah, the cake IS still good! this morning I dropped the plastic lid to my almond milk into a live burner, so… something is still awry! I just had to laugh though. craziness. happy Friday to you, sweetie!

31 Andrea February 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm

At least you didn’t break the key off in the door when you got home. You know, as a finale. Did the cake taste good?

32 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm

haa haa, Andrea if that happens now I am blaming you!! :D and yep, the cake is awesome. it’s in the fridge, waiting to be a trifle or cake pops or… just eaten every time I pass the fridge. ;)

33 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Definitely have days like this. Just the other night I was stirring pasta sauce and for no reason at all my brain just decided that it was no longer important to hold onto the spoon and I ended up flinging sauce everywhere in my efforts to regain control of it.

34 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

bizarre what happens, with seemingly no control over it?? :)

35 STUFT Mama February 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Oh man…… hate those days. Glad you went back for your avocados though. If I was there I would’ve helped you clean up (and get rid of that cake). :) Hope the weekend treats you better.

36 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm

oooh, Mama dear, I wish you WERE here to laugh with. I’d feed you cake and not let you help. then I’d feed you pasta, if I could ever get it cooked…

I hope this weekend finds you feeling better… XXO!

37 Cara February 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

HAHA oh girl, you had one of *those* days, didn’t you? Ack! Well, at least it gave us all a good chuckle, commiserating on our own personal kitchen nightmare stories :) I am so happy that you went back to the store for the avocado–I think you forgetting them the first time around was the worst part of the story. I gasped.

38 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

heh. I’m totally off my game. this morning I dropped the plastic cap from my almond milk into the same hot burner. mmm, melty plastic in the morning.

I DO hope my kitchen mojo returns soon… ;) and YEAH, the avocado IS the worst part of it all – I cannot be without my avocado! :D

39 katie February 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This is pretty much every day of my life, haha! I swear I am mindless a lot more lately, and it makes me crazy! I KNOW that cake was still damn good though! I would of taken it from you ; )

Happy Weekend! Sending LOVE!

40 spabettie February 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

yes, the cake is still good… ;) sending love right back – have a GREAT weekend XO

41 Christine February 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Wow yes, I have definitely had those days. It’s always nice to say goodnight to that day and look forward to tomorrow.

42 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm

oh my poor friend! at least you got your avocado fix!

43 spabettie February 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

yes, I will always go back for the avocados…

44 Aimee February 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm

LOL! Saw avocados at the store today and had a good giggle over your story. Happens to all of us sometime though. :)

45 spabettie February 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

glad I could give you a giggle, Aimee! :)

46 meg February 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Hah! That is just the dumbest feeling, when you forget the ONE thing you went to the store for in the first place! Happened to me recently trying to buy split peas.

A fire on our stove (still not sure what happened since the Mr was manning the stove) prompted us to get a fire extinguisher. Good to have on hand!

47 spabettie February 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

I may have to get an extinguisher… you know, since my first reaction was to blow on it ;)

48 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 24, 2012 at 11:10 pm

What a freaking day. Here, laugh at this please and it will make you feel better about your day.

I was cleaning up glass shards and sticky sh*t for oh, about….6 months.

Hang in there my friend!

49 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 25, 2012 at 4:20 am

Oh wow. As somebody who manages to elicit the fire alarm while cooking,

50 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 25, 2012 at 4:21 am

- ?? – (what happened there ^^?)

51 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 25, 2012 at 4:21 am

… I say, hats off!

And seriously: Boo. :( So much stress.

52 Georganne (LilaLoa) February 26, 2012 at 5:48 am

Ha ha ha — I HATE days like that!! I hope you ended it with ice cream and fireworks. I’m glad you got your avocado.

53 Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty February 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm

oh honey.

i had an epic food fail day a while back and also posted it. Sometimes it just seems like the ingredients are conspiring to mess your shit up.

xo – i can empathize!

54 spabettie March 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm

:D thank you, Kristy Lynn! it was just so crazy, all happening in the same day! good to know it happens to others! XXO

55 lindsay March 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm

haha this post made me laugh. We all have those days sometimes! But then you know that tomorrow can ONLY get better!!! :)

56 spabettie March 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

yep, and I made something AMAZING with the cake fail, so… it’s all good! :D

57 Hans March 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm

happens to the best of us, Betty. hang in there! ;)

58 iDarla April 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm

happens to the best of us ;)