maple cinnamon oatmeal bars

in baking,Breakfast,Dessert,Gluten Free,snacks

I recently found a Whiskey Drinkin’ Chimney Sweep, and I want to be her neighbor. She is creative and fun and I want to make nearly everything she shares. *Update – the Whiskey Drinking Chimney Sweep is now Will Bake For Tattoos. Her recipes are still very much scrumptious.

Like herĀ Vegan Maple Oatmeal Bars.

This recipe is quick, easy and easily adaptable. They are chewy, sweet, and you most likely have all of the ingredients in your kitchen already.

I was headed to the hospital Saturday morning, and I wanted to bring the ICU nurses something – they are taking such great care of my dad – and this was a perfect recipe that comes together quickly.

The only adaptations I made – I used gluten free flour, and I added about a half cup of cinnamon chips (no longer vegan). If you like sweet oatmeal bars, I highly suggest you try them!

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 15, 2012 at 5:12 am

Oh these couldn’t be more up my alley! I’m off to check this out now! YUM!

2 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 6:59 am

yep – you and all your boys would love these! :D

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 15, 2012 at 5:16 am

Oh I bet they were more than happy to receive those. I kind of what them right now and I haven’t done anything to get them LOL. Happy Thursday

4 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 6:59 am

hee – Heather you have done PLENTY, you make me smile and you’ve been a supportive friend! I wish I could send you a batch! (perhaps when I have more time…) XXO!

5 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 15, 2012 at 5:17 am

Umm ya, I would want to be her neighbor too. My gosh. Thanks for testing them out gluten-free, too! Wow, they look so unreal.

6 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 6:58 am

OOOH, all three of us could be neighbors! how fun! :D

7 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 15, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’m pretty sure that has to be against some law or something. Dangerous, absolutely dangerous?!

8 lindsay March 15, 2012 at 5:38 am

i will try these! I bet the nurses savored every bite!! You are too kind for doing that. Favorite visitor for them I am sure. Sending you hugs.

9 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 6:58 am

you’ll like them, Linds. I don’t know about too kind – I definitely “bug” these nurses when I am not there, and am constantly asking them questions when I am there too… :) they are all so patient and go out of their way to help me, AND most importantly, take care of Dad. HUGS BACK.

10 Allie March 15, 2012 at 6:10 am

YUM. I’d eat these. Oh yes. And they get walnuts too? It’s like New England breakfast (oatmeal + maple syrup + walnuts says New England breakfast to me…maybe because that’s what I ate for breakfast when I lived there…), but in a bar.

11 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 6:56 am

oh, then you’ll love these, Allie! the maple syrup makes them sweet in a perfect way!

12 Jillian@whiskeydrinkinchimneysweep.com March 15, 2012 at 8:11 am

You woke me up and put a needed smile on my face this morning. Thank you for your kind words. You sure are a swell lady :)

13 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

oh, good Jillian! :D that makes ME smile!

14 jobo March 15, 2012 at 8:44 am

You are the sweetest, to bring something for the nurses! I am sure that was so much appreciated. And these AGAIN look delish. Stomach growling again on cue!

15 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

thanks, darlin’. it makes me just as happy as it does them. they are angels doing what they do. <3

16 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

These bars look PERFECT!! My perfect

17 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/at blog March 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm

So awesome. And what a wonderful thought–I’m sure the nurses loved them! Go Team Sloggett-Recovery!

18 spabettie March 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm

oh, hello old friend! I was just thinking of (and missing) you today. thanks for the Dad Recovery wishes! XO

19 dorry March 15, 2012 at 5:15 pm

oh, these are a winner. I can tell! I have a grand plan to make some treats & snacks for our car trip, and many of your recipes are on my list. :)

20 Pure2raw twins March 15, 2012 at 7:19 pm

love cinnamon and maple together! mmm so these bars sound delicious, so glad to hear that making them gluten free worked too :)

21 spabettie March 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm

YES, making them gluten free had a delicious and perfect result – I bet pretty similar to the original.

22 Jeanette March 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I’m sure the nurses will appreciate these goodies. Hope your dad gets better soon.

23 spabettie March 16, 2012 at 8:00 pm

thank you, Jeanette – I appreciate it!

24 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Ahhhhhh! Something I can use my cinnamon chips for!!! I found them at Kroger a few months ago and had them in my hands in less than a second. I’ve seen recipes that used them before that I wanted to try but now I can’t seem to find any of them. I’d love to try these bars…I swear you make everything look so delicious! I see it uses sugar and maple syrup…are they pretty sweet? I’m not a huge sweets person, so I’d like to have an idea of how much sugar to cut out. Thanks!

25 spabettie March 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

they are VERY sweet! almost too sweet for me, even, but lately I’ve been go Go GO so the extra sugar has been helpful

I have another cinnamon chip recipe coming soon… ;)

26 Lysa March 27, 2012 at 5:00 am

mmm…it is the time for maple syrup here in Quebec (canada) I will make these to celebrate the new season!!

27 Cara March 31, 2012 at 10:05 pm

these look good, I have no syrup. do you think agave would work, or brown rice syrup?

28 paula February 7, 2013 at 7:57 pm

is the link still up? i saw NOTHING related to oatmeal or cooking.. searched archive and zippo.. too much whiskey drinking?

29 Kristina Sloggett February 7, 2013 at 8:09 pm

oh no!! Jillian changed her whole blog recently… she is now “Will Bake For Tattoos” – and still has delicious recipes! :) I have updated the link in the post, and you can go there directly here –> vegan maple oatmeal bars. sorry about that, thanks for letting me know! (I knew she changed, but didn’t think the links would break).