triple chocolate truffles

in appetizers,baking,Dessert,recipes

Quite a few people have asked for this recipe after I posted a photo the other day. Not generally a fan of the teaser post, I figured I better get on the stick.

So here I am, on a Wednesday night in front of Modern Family, in my post op haze of Vicodin, mashed potatoes and a chocolate spinach smoothie. An ice pack for a pillow. Cool, cool pillow. Writing a three step recipe. A three ingredient recipe. Sort of.

Good thing these truffles are absolutely way too easy.

Well, okay, you have to have a cake fail to make them, but after that? Easy peasy.

triple chocolate truffles

1/2 dark chocolate bundt cake (sub any chocolate cake or brownie recipe)
1/3 to 1/2 cup cream cheese (dairy free)
8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

Crumble cake into small pieces, combine with cream cheese into a doughy consistency. Roll into one inch balls. In saucepan over medium heat, melt chocolate. Using a spoon, dip and roll each ball into melted chocolate, coating completely. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet that fits in your refrigerator. Repeat with remaining balls / chocolate. Cool in refrigerator until chocolate coating is set.

Enjoy!

Please? For me?

Because until I am able to chew food again, I’m just eating the chocolate cream cheese by the spoonful…

need more chocolate goodness?

raspberry jalapeno chocolates

spicy chipotle chocolate ganache truffles

spicy chipotle ganache truffles

lavender cream chocolate truffles

lavender cream truffles

dark chocolate mint truffles

dark chocolate mint truffles

1 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 5, 2012 at 5:12 am

And it’s Kristina for the WIN!

2 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

weeee!

3 Anna @ On Anna's Plate April 5, 2012 at 5:36 am

Wowza– I love how easy these are!! The thought of making truffles usually intimidates me, but I think even I could make these!

4 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

Anna, this was the first time I’ve actually dipped them all the way with a spoon (usually I spoon the chocolate over the top). this was SO much easier! the whole process takes a little time, but definitely not intimidating at all – make them! :)

5 Evan Thomas April 5, 2012 at 6:44 am

umm, yes, yes, and yes. never too much chocolate

6 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

indeed!

…and these are actually quadruple chocolate, since the cake has chocolate chunks in it… just didn’t have the same ring to it…

7 jobo April 5, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hope you are recovering ok!!! And omg I must must MUST make these! These are like the PMS survival pack all rolled into chocolatey goodness!

8 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’m doing okay, thank you! :) still on the pain meds, so groggy and loopy, but doing okay! there is a dachshund and a nap in my very near future… and please do make these – you will LOVE them!!

9 Jess April 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

Ohhh how are you feeling today my dear? See? You survived it! Never fun tho, boo!!

PS. I want these truffles like RIGHT NOW. Drool.

10 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

yes, I survived! :) still in pain today, held off as long as I could before giving in and taking another pain pill – they make me loopy and I really don’t like them, but… no pain! ;) I’m making another batch of these truffles for a friend’s birthday this weekend, I can hopefully eat one by then? :) Happy Thursday, my friend!

11 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

Thanks for posting the recipe for these..I had a feeling they were the “destroy a cake and add cream cheese to it” method. That, or frosting. But b/c it was a Philly post, I figured it was cream cheese. They look divine!

12 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:30 am

have you tried this Philly stuff yet? go get some!!

13 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 5, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh wow – these look amazing!! I’m so impressed you put together a coherent post while under the influence of Vicodin. Hope you’re feeling better!

14 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

heh – I read it again this morning, sounded okay so here it is! ;) really good that it was not a lengthy recipe, right? feeling a bit better today, had to take another Vicodin, though, but I held off as long as I could!

15 katie April 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

Can the easter bunny magically put this in my easter basket ;)

Happy Thursday! Hope all is well and hope the house stuff is coming along!

Prayers to your dad <3

16 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 8:28 am

thank you friend – we need them today, his oncologist tells us what the new plan is. I appreciate you!

I so wish I could have these magically appear for you this Sunday! XO

17 recipeland April 5, 2012 at 8:48 am

These truffles look absolutely decadent. Really want to pick one up and pop into my mouth, hmmm :) Thanks for sharing this recipe with great photos :)

18 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhh these look so good!

19 spabettie April 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

thank you, Jess, the other betty! ;)

20 Lisa B April 5, 2012 at 11:22 am

YUM.
Seriously!

21 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

Heavenly!

22 Aimee M April 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

An alternative to using bundt cake/any cake is COOKIES! My friend makes these with cream cheese and oreos, then dips them in chocolate. Heaven in a ball? I think so. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

23 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

thanks, Aimee – that is a genius idea and I’ll be using it, definitely!

24 Alison April 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Oooo…this makes me drool!

25 Pure2raw Twins April 5, 2012 at 6:39 pm

yes please! we be glad to enjoy those triple chocolate truffles!!!! not a problem :)

26 Krista April 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Look at you super woman! I hope you recover quickly but not too quickly so you can enjoy the fabulousness known as chocolate cream cheese. Hugs!

27 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm

hugs back, Krista! thank you – I am feeling a bit better today…

28 Jeanette April 6, 2012 at 6:17 am

Hope you are on your way to recovery!

29 Alyssa April 6, 2012 at 6:38 am

I’ve made these before, but I don’t make the whole chocolate cake. I crush a package of oreos in the food processor and then cream it with the cream cheese. It keeps me from having to turn on the oven! Just a thought for the coming summer days :)

30 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Alyssa, thanks for the great idea – I will do this next time! I know, making the whole cake is kind of a lot, but it was my cake fail, so at least I have something to do with it if it happens again! ;)

31 Lilly Sue April 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Alright, these look phenomenal! I mean I absolutely want to eat them right now!! Ah, I guess I will have to make some as soon as a I get a chance.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Thanks for the idea :)

32 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

thank you, Lilly Sue – I am feeling better today! and you are very welcome – I hope you enjoy!

33 Jack April 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm

made these using a brownie recipe, otherwise the same. thanks for showing how easy it is, these are delicious! J Cromsbell

34 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 9, 2012 at 2:19 am

Uiuiuiuiui!! 8O 8O 8O I’ve tried to make such choc-coated truffles a couple of times for Christmas, but the coating always ended up leaving the truffles and making lakes on the baking tray. Chapeau for these ones!

35 Paul July 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

would a regular cake MIX work with these?

36 Korin July 28, 2012 at 6:21 am

would this work with brownies or just a normal box cake, if I want to make quick?

37 Jenny September 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

so this turned out to be quite the project because I made your bundt cake first LOL! but the rest was easy from there, and so worth it! I scared my son because the cake turned out beautifully, and I waited for him to walk in the room and I just stuck my hand in it, ruining the cake!! my son screamed at me!! that might be the best part of this whole thing! ;) thanks for the recipe.

38 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

haa, nice that you tricked your son! ;) I’m so happy you like these, thanks for letting me know Jenny!

39 Brenda Johnson (@longdoglover) November 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

chocolate cream cheese??? we don’t have that in canada… i wonder if I mixed some nutella with some spreadable cream cheese? what do you think

40 Kristina Sloggett November 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm

YES Brenda this would absolutely work! cocoa + cream cheese would work too, or melted chocolate… Mmm…

41 Cynthia August 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Love love love this frightfully clever idea! Would like a little bit more info as to how much cake or prepared brownies one would use instead of half a bundt cake. One whole pan? Please? Thank you.

42 Cynthia August 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Oooh I just noticed the comment about using cookies and I thought of that too. I bet Toll House would be good!