perfect mashed potatoes

in Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

I have taken advantage of my recent wisdom tooth surgery to eat mashed potatoes. A whole bunch of them. It’s been like Thanksgiving and Christmas over here. You know, napping on the couch all afternoon.

I have been cooking for my dad lately, in my attempt to have him eating healthy and fairly low sodium. One of his favorites is the meat loaf I have been making for him, and that meat loaf is always accompanied by these mashed potatoes.

While I obviously haven’t tasted the meat loaf (it has had four positive reviews – my dad, his girlfriend, my brother and Jason), I can vouch for these potatoes.

perfect mashed potatoes

gluten and dairy free, vegan

makes 5 1/2 cups (44 ounces)

3 large baking potatoes (6 smaller)
water for boiling
3 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance soy free)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 head garlic, roasted
1/2 cup hummus
3 tablespoons cream cheese (Tofutti)
sea salt, to taste
4-5 green onions, chopped (reserve one for garnish)

Cut potatoes into 3-4 pieces each, all pieces uniform size. Bring water and potatoes to a boil in a large pot; cook until potatoes are soft (15-20 minutes). Drain potatoes, return to pot. Add butter, nutritional yeast and roasted garlic, mash to incorporate. Fold in hummus and cream cheese, sea salt and green onions, combining completely. Garnish with a pat of butter and green onion.

Thank you all for the well wishes – as I write this I am only in a minimum amount of pain, and think I’m done with the pain medication (never say never, but I don’t like the haze it gives me!). In addition to these potatoes, I have been juicing like crazy, inventing new smoothie combinations, and… napping on the couch all afternoon.

Happy Friday – hope it’s a fantastic weekend!

Perunamuusi (Mashed Potato)

1 Allie April 6, 2012 at 7:00 am

Napping + smoothies = the best way to recover. Glad you’re on the mend! I’m not a huge fan of mashed white potatoes, yet this still looks good–love the idea of adding nooch and cream cheese. I usually do mashed turnips–bet those would be great ingredients to toss in with that as well!

2 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm

thank you, Allie! I need to try mashed turnips, that sounds good! (perhaps I’ll sneak them in to my Dad’s next batch…)

3 jobo April 6, 2012 at 7:31 am

Yum! these look fab! Glad you are feeling better and I hope you post some yummy smoothie recipes too :)

4 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

okay, for you? I will! XO Happy Easter to you!

5 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

mmmm….hummus in the mashed potatoes – great idea! I’m pretty impressed that you have the ability to cook without sampling as you go. I don’t think I could cook meatloaf anymore, because I just have a hard time NOT eating as I go – you are superwoman!

6 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

haa, Superwoman? eh, I’ll take it ;) I know, it was weird just cooking with meat, and even if I wanted to taste it when it was done, it was VERY weird to not be able to taste as I went along! Everything I cook with can be tasted raw! Kinda unnerving, I was hoping I wouldn’t just taste it out of habit! ;)

I made it very flavorful – sundried tomatoes, caramelized onion, nutritional yeast, and topped with a barbeque sauce!

7 katie April 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better, wisdom teeth getting taken out is no fun but happy it went ok :)

I hope everything with your dad went good, always thinking of him <3

Happy Friday xo

8 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

thanks, Katie! XO I’d appreciate continued positive thoughts for my Dad – he started the third round of chemo today, and I am nervous. You are the best – I hope you all have an enjoyable Easter weekend! XXO

9 Jeanette April 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Yum, I’ve never tried hummus in mashed potatoes, but I bet it amps up the flavor and protein. Hope you’re feeling better.

10 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

it really does – and right now when I’m trying to make soft things to eat, the extra protein is good! ;) and THANK YOU Jeanette, I am feeling better today!

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

HUMMUS! Brilliant! These look and sound amazing! I hope you’re feeling better. Mashed potatoes are exactly what you need right now! Enjoy some down time please. Hugs to you friend!

12 spabettie April 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm

thanks for the hugs, dear friend! I am doing better, first day with no pain meds so a little pain, but at least I am coherent (not a fan of loopy…) ;)

I made another batch of these potatoes today, not ready to eat ‘chewy’ foods yet!

ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND!

13 Natasha April 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm

GUUUUUUUUUUUUURL! I’ve been yacking my brains out (stomach flu) while you have conquered my greatest fear!!!!!!!!!!!! WISDOM TEETH EXTRACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!…..I keep telling my Dentist I will loose all wisdom if they are pulled – he won’t buy it :(
Foremost – I hink you have a smile that could light up the world…we need more pics of you and Jason too…secondly – I owe you an email…promise! I haven’t been on the computer since the last you heard from moi…I was pulling an Exorcist impersonation for the past week – ugh…So glad to hear your ok, and Papa is doing good? yes?…I’m sure we will catch up before the end of the weekend..hugs, light, and love

14 spabettie April 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm

GOSH sweetie, I am sorry to hear that, boo :( and yes, I have been courageously confronting OUR fear of the dentist and his … pliers? ;)

AWW, you my dear, just keep getting sweeter! I’ll work on posting more photos, maybe, but only of Basil and I probably… Jason isn’t too keen on being on the blog much… although a random guest post he has done!

I hope this finds you feeling better, I look forward to your email and catching up, but no pressure… you know we are both busy XXO chat soon love! K

15 Natasha April 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm

LOL hink…what the heck was that! sorry!

16 Pure2raw twins April 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

love that you put hummus in them!! great idea!!

17 Danijela April 7, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Wow, this recipe is so nice. I love both, mashed potato and green onion, why this recipe works for me. :) Great work.
Happy Easter!

18 Hally April 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

brills idea of hummus, cant wait to try

19 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 9, 2012 at 2:18 am

Oooohhh, this looks nice! I’d never had thought of putting hummus and cream cheese into a potato puree! My mom used to make it with just potatoes and a little milk and butter.

20 Susan April 11, 2012 at 6:03 am

I just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday! I was going to make mashed potatoes for dinner and adding hummus is a brilliant idea. Thank you!!

21 spabettie April 11, 2012 at 6:08 am

wishing you speedy healing, Susan! these were a staple for me last week – enjoy!