double rich chocolate protein cookies

in baking,Breakfast,Dessert,recipes,snacks

Next in the recipes I am creating for NutritionFix is one that uses a new to me protein powder, Complete Protein Diet in Double Rich Chocolate flavor. This is from Optimal Nutrition, a brand I like, so I felt good in choosing it. The flavor is good, not too sweet, and I can drink it as a protein drink mixed with water.

This powder can be found with hundreds of others at the NutritionFix website with their protein supplements. Not only do they have a great selection of protein products (which I love), they carry my lifting gloves and power straps in the fitness section, and there are a couple things listed under ‘energy’ in the sports nutrition section I am going to try. One stop shop!

…and the cookies. These you have to make yourself, but they are very easy and oh, so good. The chocolate chunks are really a must, they and another level of rich chocolate flavor that take these from a healthy snack to a delicious one.

double rich chocolate protein cookies

gluten free, no sugar added

makes 12 golf ball size cookies

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and peeled
2-3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon protein powder
3/4 cup chocolate chunks

In food processor or blender, puree chickpeas. Add water and protein powder, blend. It should form a ball of dough, if it is still crumbly, add a tiny amount of water, a teaspoon at a time. Process – it should quickly form a dough ball.

Stirring by hand, add chocolate chunks. Form into 1-inch balls. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

These taste great fresh and warm right out of the oven, and after they are cooled. I suggest you try one each way…

The dough of this cookie is not very sweet, which I like, but some may prefer to add sweetener. I used a large amount of chocolate chunks, which to me is a nice flavor contrast to the not so sweet dough.

COMPENSATION PROVIDED BY NUTRITIONFIX, BUT DID NOT INFLUENCE REVIEWS PROVIDED. THE OPINIONS ARE THOSE OF SPABETTIE, AND PRODUCT REVIEWS ARE IMPARTIAL.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 13, 2012 at 5:13 am

Awesome – I was just thinking about the chickpea cookie balls yesterday. I bet you could do this with other protein powder flavors too.

2 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

I know, it has been a while since I made any of these too. any protein flavor would work, I’m sure – I’ve made them with vanilla and berry flavors before…

3 Kris @Krazy_Kris April 13, 2012 at 5:21 am

BALLS!!!!!! Yes… let’s keep bumping your SEO on BALLS!!!! I love treats that are good for us too – and oooooh – all that fiber? Balls for Breakfast!

4 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:46 am

hee, you are so good to my seo, my friend. :D good TO it and good FOR it! I vote Balls for Breakfast anytime – perhaps a new category here? ;)

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 13, 2012 at 5:29 am

Sounds so good! Can you not taste the bean at all?

6 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:34 am

not really, when you add the chocolate chunks that is the main flavor. some people LOVE these, some do not… maybe start with a half recipe, using the rest of the beans for something else? you can’t really taste the bean, but they are a milder flavor cookie the way my recipe is, with no added sugar (you could add some to mask it more).

7 katie April 13, 2012 at 5:33 am

I need to make these!!!! LOVE the idea of the chickpea style cookie! I am actually going to try to make these, but a different flavor! Hope you don’t mind!!! <3

Happy Weekend to you 3 loves over there!

Hi to your dad! Please tell him I am sending prayers and love, I know I don't know him personally but I know he is a wonderful man because he has a wonderful daughter! <3

8 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

oh, katie, thank you! I actually HAVE told Dad about you, that he has a wonderful person across the country pulling for him! <3

I hope you DO make these - I thought of you when I made them, and know you'd like them!!

9 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 13, 2012 at 5:54 am

I am a BIG FAN of chickpea cookies!! I haven’t ever made them using protein powder, but really love the idea of it.These sound way too easy- and completely awesome. Thanks for sharing the website info, too- I’m always on the lookout for new protein powders (whether I need them or not!) :)

10 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

oh Lauren, I know!! I have way too many proteins, and even if I LOVE them, I always want to try new ones! sometimes I have to cut myself off from buying any until I run out of the others! and these cookies ARE easy! XO

11 Jess April 13, 2012 at 6:43 am

OMG another genius conconction from you — LOVE the protein addition!! BTW Jo and I bought that protein cereal from NutritionFix – can’t wait to try it out!! MMMM. I love protein, hehe

12 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

oh great, I’m glad you girls bought it, I hope you love it as much as we do! I love my protein too… ;)

13 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 13, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’m officially the last person alive who hasn’t put beans in cookies or desserts yet…these look wonderful!

14 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:29 am

they are good, Averie! and with the extra chocolate they really are like a dessert. ;)

15 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 13, 2012 at 7:23 am

I need t find me some dairy free chocolate chunks, these made me drool!!

Hope you are doing good! I’ve been such a bad blog friend, so so busy lately!! <3

16 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

jessica, the chocolate chunks I use ARE dairy free/vegan, I don’t know if they are up there in your area? Enjoy Life brand, I think they are called mega chunks? they are SO incredibly good!

17 Laura P April 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

Best recipes ever!!! I can’t wait to try these and the citrus ones, too. I think I’ll have time this weekend to do both!! Yum!!

18 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca April 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

OMG look at those cookays!! I’m making these today- boyfriend says “pleeaasse!!” Will report back ;)

19 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

oh, Char I hope you both love them! :)

20 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca April 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

So I didn’t have the chance to make them on Friday, but I finally made them tonight. OMG! I could smell the protein powder and was a little nervous, but they are PERFECT!! So soft & moist, Dallas & I both love them!! My substitutions:

1/4 cup Vega natural protein + 2 tbsp cocoa powder {because I didn’t have chocolate protein powder}
3 tbsp almond mylk instead of water
added 1 tsp vanilla, & 1 tsp stevia
used chocolate chips instead of chunks, only because I don’t have any chunks

AMAZING AMAZING!! Everyone should make these :D

21 spabettie April 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

yay! I am so happy you love them, your changes sound good too! :D

22 jobo April 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

OMG these look EASY and delish to make! One Q, for canned chickpeas, which I have, do you peel them or do they come that way?! how does one peel them? LOL I seriously want to make these today!

23 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

hi Jolene, they still need to be peeled, and here is the way I do it : peeling chickpeas :) they don’t HAVE to be peeled, but the result is smoother. hope you LOVE these!!

24 jobo April 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm

yay!! Definitely want to try making these! and so easy to peel, who knew?!

25 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) April 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Such a simple recipe! I’m always looking for ways to get a little extra protein. Cookies sound like a wonderful way to do that. ;)

26 janetha April 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love protein cookies! These look excellent.

27 bitt April 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I know someone asked if another protein flavor would work, but do you think another brand of protein powder would work? Like sunwarrior? I can’t do whey or anything with casein, is that why the recipe works or not? They look great and are grain and sugar free which is why I am very very interested!

28 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

hi Bitt! yes, I know a dairy free protein would work, that is all I usually use. I have made similar balls with vanilla Sunwarrior (the regular one, have not tried the new one yet) and they turned out well also. and I think you would really like these! some don’t because of the lack of sugar, but I like a milder flavor.

by the way, it’s good to “see” you – have I told you I miss reading you? :) XO

29 bitt April 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

aww you are too kind. always reading, not always able to comment. glad to know sunwarrior will work, we just got a HUGE jug of it! if i make these I will do it with my own chocolate, although it might be a melted mess. but a yummy one. ;-)

30 spabettie April 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

oh I know what you’re talking about – I make my own baking chips that end up being blobs, and if they’re in cookies, they melt. but YES, still good!

31 bitt April 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm

ok thanks for the warning. maybe i will just dip them in chocolate after they are cooked! i have to make my own chocolate as I am sugar-free and only stevia right now.

32 spabettie April 15, 2012 at 7:41 am

oh, WOW dipping them in chocolate, YES! that will be happening here too… :)

33 Lou April 13, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Chickpeas are seriously one of my favourite things. When you combine them with chocolate, I may just lose my mind ;)

34 spabettie April 15, 2012 at 7:41 am

I know, I know! these don’t last long at our house…

35 Elle April 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm

These look great!

36 Tommy April 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

YUM!

37 spabettie April 15, 2012 at 7:39 am
38 Rhonda April 14, 2012 at 9:28 am

I don’t like overly sweet stuff either, these look perfect!

39 spabettie April 15, 2012 at 7:37 am

thanks, Rhonda – I hope you try them!

40 Nichole April 15, 2012 at 3:25 am

So technically, these are good for me? :) MMMM

41 spabettie April 15, 2012 at 7:34 am

absolutely! ;)

42 Liz April 16, 2012 at 3:33 am

A healthy chocolate cookie? I think we ALL need this recipe in our repertoire! Thanks for sharing~

43 spabettie April 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

you are welcome, Liz! and yes, we could all use this!

44 Magic of Spice April 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Oh heavens, I want several of these beauties!

45 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Wow, these look great! And you made them with chickpeas?! Genious! :D

46 April April 18, 2012 at 6:54 am

I saw this on Pinterest and these cookies look delicious! Especially in light of these lovely words: “gluten free, no sugar added.” :D
My question is about Protein Powder. In the world of Google, there are seemingly thousands or brands/varieties. I know in working with a nutritionist a few years back that most if not all contain a sugar or one of it’s many (toxic, in some circles) friends. Would you be willing to name names if you are indeed using a brand w/o sugar? I’ve never worked with Protein Powder, again because of the sugar; could I substitute a gluten-free flour instead (i.e. rice, chickpea, almond, etc.)?
Thanks for your help!

47 spabettie April 18, 2012 at 7:31 am

hi April,

I apologize if the wording in the recipe misled you, I use “no sugar added” when I do not add sugar to the recipe, and I use “sugar free” when I know the recipe ingredients contain no sugar.

I have made chickpea cookies with (gluten free) flours before, and they do work – I have used rice, almond meal, ap, peanut flour. Some of those recipes also include a nut butter : mint chocolate chickpea cookie or tahini: rosemary apricot tahini bites so you may have to adjust the amounts of flour if you don’t add nut butter, etcetera. The consistency I look for is a dough ball, easily handled in your hands, not too sticky.

I hope this helps, and again I apologize for any confusion.

48 April April 18, 2012 at 7:42 am

I’m confused and suspect at least some of it has to do with this being my first visit to your website (& not knowing your style/lingo:)!? Sorry! I think you’re saying that the Protein Powder does indeed contain sugar (or friend) though? And you’ve used the gluten-free flours before but not in this recipe?
Thanks for the help & clarification!

49 spabettie April 18, 2012 at 8:12 am

hi April, I am not attempting to hide anything or cause ‘suspicion’.

- no, I did not use gluten free flour in this recipe. I used a gluten free protein powder that I talked about and linked to within this post.

- I labeled this recipe ‘no sugar added’ because of the four ingredients in the recipe, none of them are sugar. (I am not claiming this recipe is sugar free). I do not have the label with me presently, but I am guessing that yes, the protein powder may contain sugar. I have similar cookie recipes that do not use protein powder, giving you options for using gluten free flours like you asked.

hope this helps,
Kristina

50 April April 18, 2012 at 8:18 am

Wow, I was not accusing just trying to understand – again, I’m new here and don’t know you. All the best to you.

51 spabettie April 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

hi April,

now I am apologizing for misreading your second comment, which I read as “confused and suspect” thinking you meant suspicion. I apologize if I came off defensive (I didn’t feel it, really) when I was attempting to clarify.

This particular recipe as is, no I have not made it with gluten free flour as a sub for the protein powder. The two recipes I linked to in my first reply, those are very similar, using protein powder and nut butter.

Thank you for your understanding.

52 April April 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

Thank you for clarifying!! I appreciate your help and time!

53 spabettie April 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

anytime, April – I appreciate you reading.

54 Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

These look fabulous – Char of Char’s Kitchen sent me here and I can’t get over how more-ish these look! I am such a fan of protein treats. Thank you for your recipe and your beautiful site!

55 spabettie April 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

hello Anna! you are welcome, I hope you try these, it’s a new favorite! great to “meet” you!

56 Alexa April 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

But the protein powder you use isn’t vegan it has whey in it the Complete Protein Diet protein powder

57 spabettie April 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm

hi Alexa,

I know this – I didn’t label this recipe as vegan.

Thanks!

58 Sarah Jane @ The Fit Cookie April 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm

These look really yummy and wholesome! I don’t eat beans much (food sensitivities), but I wonder if I could make these using something else… : )

59 spabettie April 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

hmm, it would be a whole different cookie? my first thought was a cashew base, which I use all the time but have never baked? not sure how that would work. worth a try with a quarter batch, perhaps? cashews might work in a no bake cookie…

60 Pat May 25, 2012 at 9:10 pm

which protein do you use, lots are not gluten free

61 Elle July 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Why haven’t I found this before! Thanks so much!

62 spabettie July 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm

you are welcome – I hope you love them as much as we do! :)

63 Elle July 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Can I ask what size can of beans you used? I just made this up with a 15 ounce can and they are so wet… but going to bake in a cake pan and see how they turn out… added a bit of sweetener and the dough tastes good!

64 spabettie July 8, 2012 at 11:26 am

hi Elle! I used a 15 ounce can also, and generally with my bean recipes I have to add water (even though this is such a small amount of water) to make them wet enough. The only thing I can think of here is the protein powder – different kinds must have different density (I am thinking you may not be using the same brand as I?)

but again, even at the pureeing beans only stage, mine are never wet – this is very puzzling. let me know how the “cake” version turns out, I hope things are okay.

65 Heather S October 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm

just wanted to say I love these, make them all the time for snacks, thank you

66 spabettie October 27, 2012 at 11:30 am

thank you, Heather! happy you enjoy these – we love them too!